Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

"forced to tuck into a Bounty" is the bar for a 'sick joke' now?

Is this how gammons feel when someone asks them to respect a pronoun, because loving hell when I think 'sick joke' I think making days 1-3 different chocolates and day 4 finger bones from a murder trial or stem cells to make a new Jimmy Savile.

Also I like Bounty

Yes. The crowd that often calls people "snowflakes" is in fact, highly sensitive about the most pathetic poo poo. :ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

TACD posted:

I remember being promised that all groceries were going to have RFID chips embedded in the packaging so we could walk directly out of the store and have our shopping automagically scanned and charged. Whatever happened to that? :mad:

So, this is a thing Waitrose looked into around 2010/11. A very small chain of shops were trialling it somewhere in the Scandinavia region. A few Waitrose peeps went over to see it in action and came back quite hopeful. All products stickered with RFID stickers. Gates by the entrance / exit which scan the trolley/basket in bulk, and a few point of sale terminal on the other side of the gate where all you had to do was chip and pin or contactless if under the limit. There were talks of working in a system that (to me a few years later) sounded a lot like NFC so if you had Apple pay or an equivalent set up on your phone, you could be auto-billed on the way out.

There was a fair amount of buzz at Waitrose head office about this for a few years but it never seemed to materialise. Much like the OLED ticketing system John Lewis were thinking of which was supposed to link into the stock management system to instantly update price changes and stock levels. The prototype for that was super smart, and what did we end up with? Terrible calculator display like LCD shelf '"tickets" a quarter inch thick that didn't work half the time.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If you're printing gigantic amounts of poo poo would a thermal printer be more useful? They don't use ink they use thermal paper instead, which the printer just heats to form the image. The paper as far as I know is pretty generic other than some label printers being calibrated for specific sizes.

It's what supermarkets use to print shelf edge labels, though they are more normally used for things like shipping labels etc, rather than A4 printouts. I think you can get them in A4 though.

Used for till receipts too. Which you should never use in a pinch if you've run out of rolling papers and on a cig break.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Pity Games Workshop were so scared shitless of computer games in the 80s and 90s, otherwise they would be where Blizzard are now.

They had a couple of games in the 90s but they were eh...

Space Hulk
Final Liberation
40K Chaos Gate

Probably some others.

OwlFancier posted:

Oh yes BFG is quite good and Space Marine looks like a good brawler type game.

Space Marine absolutely nailed how a 40k action adventure should be. If you're the slightest bit curious about it, give it a go.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Anyone else hear his when they see those images?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA&t=37s

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Oh for crying out loud.

https://twitter.com/GluckAphra/status/1340374928508538881

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Got up early before the shops opened and met a friend behind the supermarket who furtively gave me a paper bag full of limes. Gotta make these last.

This reads like an @ThanetGuide tweet.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Ewan posted:

Can you opt out of the extra bits? I'm all for a good fancy haircut for a good price, but I want to be in and out in 25 mins, not there for 1hr 20 getting a shoulder massage.

I imagine so. The place I go to offers the same but if you want a quick cut and go they won't be offended. If there's a long queue at the one I visit, they'll give you a complimentary beer from the mini fridge. :)

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Reminds me of the time a former colleague's daughter found a box of abandoned puppies and on the spot decided to adopt all five of them, not knowing they were Wolfhounds.

e: Afghan Hounds - Oh man there's a guy in town with two and they are the most beautiful and friendly things. Love getting to see them in the summer when I go for a harbour walk.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Horses are fine. Horse riders should be kept away from at all times.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Deketh posted:

some of the horse owners were totally insane and one of them would just barge into our kitchen during dinner (christmas dinner once) and one lady even tried to burn the place down.

See?

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Horse riders should be kept away from at all times.

Not just my bad dating experiences. Horse people are psychos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

u brexit ukip it posted:

Happy new year all.

Wow, Username / Post combo