Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

winegums posted:

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1333800860111888385

God this opposition really is loving spineless. WHO IS THIS FOR?! WHO IS IMPRESSED BY LABOUR ABSTAINING? The obvious conclusion is that they'd rather the legislation pass than fail, or they'd vote against it. Abstaining achieves nothing and the idea that Labour comes out looking good in any sense from this is bullshit. Feels like Powell was just trying to bore out the question, even someone as thick and as as much of a bad faith arguer like JHB was able to consistently point out how stupid this position is.

Labour's whole plan of "hope everyone hates the Tories enough to vote for us by default" is copied wholescale from the US Dems (who barely scraped a win this year against an utter clown of an incumbent), despite the UK having a slightly healthier democratic process and more minority parties to choose from. They're wholly counting on people having nowhere to go and voting Labour, despite the very clear option of local parties/SNP/not voting because gently caress Starmer.

How poo poo do you have to be as a political operator to literally admit that what you do is irrelevant anyway? Utter, utter dog poo poo. It also right pisses me off that it's all about support for businesses. What about support for people? loving people exist too and they can do things like die and starve and suffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Is it really that harmful if in a conversation between friends someone says 'Hey Ellen Page is trans and goes by Elliot Page now'? Do people really prefer to say 'that person who was in Juno is now Elliot Page?' Like absolutely don't use it ever again but idk it just feels pointlessly awkward to phrase it in a private conversation that way, because it doesn't actually materially affect Elliot or indeed anyone else whatsoever. Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but I feel like this is the sort of thing that the right uses a lot as a 'see, they don't actually care about the effects or intent of what you say, there are just things that are banned in all contexts.' I guess you could say it's like the 'you can say the n word in private' argument but then I'd never have any reason or desire to say that or any other slur, whereas referring once to someone by their dead name in the context of telling someone that isn't what they go by any more just seems like a way to avoid a long game of Taboo. Likewise with people you know in person. I've never heard any of my trans mates say you can't use their dead name even to tell other close friends in private their new name, and I'm not sure if I'm reading wrong in thinking that's what posters are saying here.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Stormgale posted:

Is it really that harmful to use what you've described as maybe an awkward phrasing instead of using his previous name?

I know I'd really not like people to use my deadname ever, and the only time I put up with it is because I know people will be annoying about being asked to stop more firmly.

With the Elliot Page case it is just more awkward phrasing, but I can think of a few of my friends who've recently changed their names at different points in their transition and I literally don't know how I'd tell my partner their new name without referring to their old one. I don't really want to get into an argument over this, and if anyone ever asked me to absolutely never say their dead name even in private I'd be cool with that but yeah I just don't know if this is as standard as you're saying?

E: never mind, AP p much answered above

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I don’t think there’s any reason to think this rollout will be without gently caress ups, but the doomposting can be a bit relentless. Anyone with even cautious optimism seems to be getting shouted down as a gullible idiot by people who seem to revel in the idea that it’ll be totally hosed. Seriously some of you seem like you’ll be disappointed if it goes well. There’s not really any incentive for this to get hosed up as far as I can tell. Not that it won’t, but it also might go alright?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'll be disappointed when the cure is out, the tories get all the credit, the media and keith absolutely fail to call them to account, and when any of us try and point out that all of the dead people are still dead, we get whined at for being doomsayers.

Did you miss the part where the government contracted out everything they could to their mates?

Agree with first point, but on the second isn’t it specifically the case that this isn’t being contracted out? Or am I mistaken? If I am then doomposters please accept my humblest apologies

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I once reclined about half way on a long haul flight (so decent plane, room for reclining) and the guy behind me reacted by punching my seat repeatedly full force. I turned around and asked what the gently caress he was doing. He replied that I'd reclined, so I said I knew that I'd reclined, and asked again why he was punching my seat. We went back and forth like this for a while until I just told him to grow up, and that he could punch my seat as much as he wanted, I was sitting like this. What followed was 10 hours of my seat being occasionally punched, me reclining a little further, my seat being punched again, me going up a bit because honestly the punching was pretty annoying, and gradually getting drunker and seeing how far back I could go before he punched my seat again. The guys was like 60 and by all appearances a totally normal looking guy. Didn't look even the slightest bit gammony. I really tried to level with him, and even got up to check he didn't have long legs or anything. Nope, pretty small fella. I'll always remember that flight.

On the second leg I got sat next to an already extremely drunk woman from LA. She was about 50, I was probably 22. I was kinda drunk after a long layover too so we got chatting and there was a little bit of flirting. Then she starts whipping out 50cl miniatures and necking them at a rate of 1 every 15 or so minutes. She starts leaning closer and I notice that she has that weird coffee/tuna breath that people sometimes get. Eventually she passes out with one leg over me and her face firmly planted on my ear. There was not one single other seat on the whole plane.

In all seriousness I actually really like flying for these odd interactions. I've met some really cool people sat on planes and in airports, and even the less cool people make good stories. I really can't wait to fly long haul again to be honest, I'm one of those freaks who quite enjoys the whole experience of being in this weird little social ecosystem 15000 feet in the air thundering at close to the speed of sound across the planet. At worst, it's sitting getting drunk and watching movies and reading books. Unless you start expressing symptoms of severe norovirus halway to Singapore :) :) :)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Jose posted:

my last flight i drank so much and went to piss so much i got the elderly couple in the seats next to me, since i had a window seat, bumped up to first class and was able to get drunker and then stretch out across the aisle to sleep

This is pro-flying. There's a real art to getting the air staff to like you enough to never cut you off.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Corbyn did gently caress up but it was solely by being too nice. If the stupid nice lovely old gently caress would’ve just purged the poo poo out of the right of the party and told the press to gently caress off he might’ve got somewhere.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Give therattle a bit of credit, they've admitted it was a gently caress up. From our position as extremely online UKMT thread goers it's easy to say that, but not everyuone had that vantage point.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Richard Burgon for leader imo

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
It’s doubtful I’ll vote for Labour to be honest. I’m a proponent of not just voting for someone as lesser of two evils, as it allows the window to be dragged ever further right. Meet me in the middle, says the unreasonable man etc.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

the weakening link between labour and the unions is good because everyone over 40 associates unions with rail strikes and not getting your bins delivered

Christ you're such a bad poster/person. Good for who? When you're known as the thread fash, how do you expect the word 'good' in your posts to be taken? Honestly, that isn't a rhetorical question - good for who?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

I mean this is probably one of the least harmful things to happen all year. Really made me chuckle that he bothered to assure everyone he had no plans to become a dictator.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Most of the troublesome elements of the Chelsea fanbase went to non-league clubs, though I do know one of the actual headhunters. He's pretty sound, but gently caress me I would not want to cross him

Er, given that he's part of a fascist outfit with the Totenkopf as their logo, I very highly doubt he's as sound as you may think.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

as I actually know him, and you actually don't, I know this is actually bollocks and you can gently caress right off with it

Which part specifically is bollocks?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Don't be a tease, I'm actually quite interested in which part of my post you thought was innaccurate, and how you're going to square your mate being part of a Neo-Nazi football firm with him also being sound.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Not just any old football hooligan firm, but the one that's notoriously a bunch of Nazis who can be found at far right rallies sieg heiling and hunting for minorities to kick the poo poo out of, no less. Mate, they literally use the SS death's head as their logo. If you're part of that crew, then you're a Nazi oval office. This isn't really something that's even debatable lmao

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
'What, this? No mate that's an ancient Hindu symbol. Oh this one? Nah I just like spooky skeletons'

Flabbergastingly gullible moves from forums poster ShaneMacGowansTeeth

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

shocklingly, it's in a pub, miles from the ground because they're all banned. Then the home team's firm representative comes in, words are said, and then everyone goes home because gently caress spending the afternoon in the police station. That is literally it. The one's kicking off in the ground are just idiots, and then there's the pre-arranged fights on industrial estates between psychos

yes but what about the Naziism you're conveniently ignoring

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

It's almost as if... nah, that's too nuanced for this thread

It's almost as if your mate's a oval office for being part of a Nazi firm

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

oh come on you're so close to trying to justify why beating up people wearing different coloured shirts is cool and good, actually

plus, y'know, the whole Nazi imagery thing

It's not just imagery, they literally are fascists

E: Also huge lol at the idea they're fine now and not violent. I've literally had to fight my way out of a pub after being set upon by Headhunters and assorted other fash in recent memory. You're talking pure shite

(not you Julio)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It massively pains me to defend Chelsea fans, but the Headhunters aren't a Nazi firm - as always it's far more complex than that. While some of their number - like all firms - definitely are fascist, because the factors that attract people to hooliganism are the same as the ones that attract people to fascism, others of them have been involved in fights on the other side. It's entirely possible for someone to be not-racist and be part of them, just like it's possible to be personally not-racist and a British citizen, with exactly the same arguments (at different degrees of course) as to how you square those two things.

Their logo is the loving Totenkopf. They're also one of the only firms still very much on the radar of anti-fascists in London. I'm sure it's possible that someone is naively part of them without harboring racist views, but no anti-fascist has ever fought under the same banner as the SS. There are Chelsea anti-fascists, but there are no anti-fascist Headhunters. Again, their logo is the same as the SS and they are not shy about this.

he ain't a fash oval office fwiw, and some of the best football related discussions I've had have been with him like breaking down Leicester City's title winning side in eye watering tactical detail, but nah, he just goes out and cracks skulls

No he's just part of a group that flies the SS banner and is well known for being a bunch of fascists. If he is in fact not a fash oval office, you might want to get him to ask some of his mates to stop turning up at political events trying to kick gently caress out of minorities and anyone they think might be 'anTEEFa'. Also don't try and tell me he wouldn't know them, Headhunters are not a particularly large group.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

tbf, we're in "all hoolies are fascists, and friends of hoolies are fascists" so apparently I'm fash now, which is news to me

aw gently caress off, no one said that all hooligans are fascists. They said the ones who fly the loving SS logo as their banner are.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I don't even have anything against hooligans. I just don't like fascists

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

half this thread believes that most football fans are part of the SS, so it's not surprising

Hugely funny that after being told that your mate being in a Nazi firm might mean he's actually not the best guy around, you've pivoted to accusing everyone of making GBS threads on all football fans. So, for the last time (hopefully): it isn't all football fans, it's just the ones who are part of a group that flies the SS logo proudly. You stupid gently caress.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

well apparently knowing a former hooligan makes me a nazi according to the thread hivemind, so there's that

Nobody has even called you a Nazi. No one thinks you're a Nazi. I mean you didn't even know what a Totenkopf was so you'd make a terrible Nazi, to be honest. Maybe ask your mate about it?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Honestly I'd prefer shameless marketising to the sort of fake 'we're all a family' vibe some companies I've worked at have pushed. The amount this is pushed always seems inversely proportional to how much I actually do feel like anyone at work is in any way my family. That whole schtick became even more retrospectively grating when my work took me off furlough and let me go (I was going to leave anyway as the company was shutting down and they were starting a new one to rehire everyone with lower salaries) as a reaction to having to pay my NI or whatever it was - not much money. I might not have minded if on the same call they hadn't told they'd spaffed 20 grand on consultants.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

TACD posted:

Ah, so Boris is cagey about how many kids he has to prevent temporal assassinations. It's probably a good idea, look what happened to little Ivan.

This is pretty off base even by this threads standards. If you had any care for dead children at all you’d know that Ivan Cameron bravely sacrificed himself so his daddy could use him as a shield as he gutted the NHS. Don’t belittle young Ivan’s brave sacrifice please

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

It’s sad how bizarre it is to see someone in public office saying things that are obviously common sense good ideas. ACAB but... he seems like a pretty great bastard.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Both of those things are awful but I don’t see how they’re even slightly similar to what therattle posted?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I think the UK is bad in different and exciting ways to Iran, and there is definitely and obviously a large number of people who really do think that those bloody barbarians are just so much less civilised and more brutal than good old Blighty, but I’d also caution against going too far the other way to the point that you’re equivocating a guy getting put through the courts and winning for joking about bombing an airport and a woman being locked up for ten years for posting some entirely innocent photos on Instagram.

E: jesus that’s probably the longest sentence I’ve ever written

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 12, 2020

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I think you absolutely have to be relentlessly critical of your own country, but you have to go about it in a certain way or you're only going to be preaching to the converted. I went through a period of being aggressively down on the UK to anyone who would listen and eventually no one did - I was rightly written off as a misery guts with no sense of perspective or nuance, or any willingness to concede that there are some good things about being here. Sure, in this forum go wild but if you try that with anyone who isn't already a rabid radical lefty you won't convince anyone or make any real terms progress.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
My partner and I have had a great deal of fun this year replacing the word Christmas with Pissmas in songs. Maybe you should tell your niece to do that.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Devils on horseback (dates wrapped in streaky bacon and bunged in the oven for a bit) are the best thing in the world and should be essential. So much better than pigs in blankets which do also rule.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Ukmt I need your expertise in all things food to answer me the following question

What

the gently caress is this cookie cutter supposed to be

Father Christmas with his head caved in.

Anyone doing sprouts, I'd highly recommend a little balsamic vinegar gets involved in the cooking process.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Someone pointed out last year that all sprout advice essentially comes down to 'cover up the taste of the sprouts with other things.'

Last year Iceland did sprouts with marmite butter, if you chuck some diced bacon in with them and roast them in foil they turn out a bit alright. But again, that's more the marmite and bacon doing the heavy lifting there.

Noooo not the case with the balsamic at all! You shouldn't use too much so you still get that nice earthy richness from the sprouts. Why you'd cover the taste of one of the best vegetables I have no idea.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I was not aware of that gene! Thought that was just a coriander thing. I clearly have the sprout-lover gene but I agree they have a certain farty aura to them, but more in a smelling your own farts than someone else's sort of way so it's fine

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Tenderstem in a pan with an arseload of butter, garlic, and rock salt, finished with a little sesame oil as said above is a great shout.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Biggus Dickus posted:

At least someone's offering advice for next year...
Ant Middleton's Be Prepared For 2021

I imagine it'll be more preppers and stockpiling than EU Business Regs for Small Business though.

My avatar has some questions for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
They create a lot of individual bits of the world which are anti-capitalist but then you do most of your work for the cops with no commentary or option to choose not to. It not only doesn't make sense politically but it doesn't make sense in the story - you're a mercenary criminal, why is such a large chunk of your side activity working for the cops in a pretty buddy buddy way? The game is very confused. If anyone's considering playing it I'd recommend against for now even on a banging PC. It just isn't finished. The vast majority of the mechanics either barely work, feel half finished or just Aren't Fun. It's riddled with bugs too, even outside of performance stuff. Stealth was clearly meant to be a very key part of the game but LOS is unclear, you randomly stand up whenever you touch a friendly NPC, and the levels just don't seem very well designed for it and all. Not to mention that half the core mechanics (lethal/non-lethal kills, bodies, to name two) are literally irrelevant or broken. It's like some PS2 poo poo half the time. As you can tell I am not happy that it's turned out this way.