Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

gently caress. condemned to the hardest brexit because Polly Tuscany's articles exploded the brains of our negotiators. what a way to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
chapter 35 of Polly's Keir Starmer fanfiction, wherein the evil Boris Johnson is defeated because he misunderstands trade rules, to do nothing is the highest form of courage, and Keir has never made a booboo

quote:

The upcoming deal will spectacularly fail that test: voting for it risks Starmer’s reputation for straight-dealing ... Looking back, it will seem clear that an opposition should have opposed it. Abstention is not pusillanimous, but the only honourable option.
Of course, Labour could be obliged to vote for it and save the nation if a humiliated Johnson can’t stop his MPs voting it down. But that’s unlikely; and to vote for this atrocious deal in any other circumstance would be Starmer’s first serious mistake.
"Every contribution, however big or small, makes a real difference for our future. Support the Guardian from as little as £1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you." as they continue to pay for this dreck instead of a handful of investigative journalists

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

peanut- posted:

I legit don't understand this tweet. What is she trying to say?
Labour need to reach out to the Red Wall with things they care about up there, like racism and small business artisan pizza

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah it's 10 + a nob which is really annoying because now I have 70 boyz and 7 nobs.
enough about the tendencies of our rulers

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 3, 2020

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

peanut- posted:

With reference to that Helen Pidd tweet about the eternally racist Northern brain that craves seeing people deported, it turns out the Tory minister responsible for all the deportations is the least popular minister in the red wall seats by some margin.

https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1334561026658996226?s=20
oh boy, election 2024 is going to be spicy for a Starmer vs Sunak faceoff, assuming Sunak manages to maintain his Dishy Rishi credentials

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
PM Truss would be incredible. but i'm delighted to see Raab providing top-4 representation for the himbo demographic; if he promises to get back on the weights and karate then wear a tank top and short shorts to all events he's certainly got my vote

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Failed Imagineer posted:

X-posting from the capitalism.png thread because it seems to intersect with a bunch of thread interests beans
"They're for racing! I meant racing!" as the antiterrorism squad hammer down my door

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
I'm not sure how expenditure in Labour CLPs is done, but this Skwawkbox (yes i know) story looks a teeny bit bad if accurate (yes i know again)

quote:

Bath members were due to vote through a donation totalling £3,600 to three charities: Bath Food Bank £1200, Mercy in Action – a charity that helps poor children £1200, Julian House charity for homeless people £1200.

A party official wrote to the CLP officers banning the vote – and threatening action against the CLP if the vote went ahead:

quote:

The aim of Motion One is to donate a significant amount of CLP Funds outside of the CLP and in a way not supportive of CLP Campaigning. This is not an appropriate use of CLP funds nor in accordance with Labour Party rules which state; Chapter 7, Clause 2.A.2 which states the responsibility of CLP’s to “secure the return of Labour representatives to Parliament and local government bodies, by promoting the policies and principles of the Party throughout the Constituency”. Therefore this proposal for inappropriate use of party funds should not be tabled, considered, or discussed at your meeting. If I become aware that the CLP has voted on and in support of this proposal I will instruct the CLP Treasurer that the funds should not be released and then seek guidance from the Governance and Legal Unit on possible further action.

Instead, Bath CLP was told that it must put forward a plan to prove how it will support the party’s campaign to elect its candidate in next year’s election for the south-west region’s mayor – and if the regional office likes the plan, only then might the party approve the spending on homeless people, poor children and the hungry.

Bath CLP is one of the country’s wealthiest, having built up investments over the years worth more than £1.3 million pounds. The £3,600 was budgeted 2020 expenditure for the CLP’s conference delegation – in other words, it was never going to be available for campaigning in the mayoral election.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
who could possibly have seen this coming, from the man absolutely noted for his diplomatic skill and tact in choosing suitable Kipling quotes for every occasion

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Private Speech posted:

LMBO I mean yeah that would make any trade deal difficult.
they are absolutely delusional. you don't get this special kind of brain without Eton, Oxford, and a steady diet of books called It's Not The Size That Matters: How Britain Dominated The Globe, And Will Again

^^ also lol at effectively, "please do some work. please. for once in your worthless existence"

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
his appearance in the video doesn't exactly suggest a person filled to the brim with spunk excitement and happiness at having delivered precisely what he wanted, raring to go at a chance to Make Britain Great Again

we'll see i guess

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

a pipe smoking dog posted:

My feeling is he's actively stupid. He seems exactly the sort of boss who decides that as things aren't working he'll go in and fix it himself, but is too lazy to actually read the file and understand what is going on so just fucks it up even more.

I refuse to believe that Johnson is smart enough to understand how tariffs work.
he's not stupid exactly, he just spent his entire life up to becoming PM having two strategies that worked: bluffing having done a minimal amount of work, and waffling in precisely the way to appeal to certain fractions of British society and media (the "Boris charm"); our system has continually permitted him to move upwards based on his admittedly very impressive performance in these two skills, which in retrospect wasn't terribly useful now he's dealing with people who are competent, do the work beforehand, and aren't British so are immune to his aura of waffling nonsense charm

bear with me here, but i think we could do with a system not pathologically incapable of useful action

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone seen Jezza's announcement yet? Looked on his FB and couldn't see anything.
probably launching this https://thecorbynproject.com/

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Communist Thoughts posted:

Also: the Corbyn project lol
naming it after Jebmy Cobyrm does seem like a fantastic way to immediately provoke accusations of both a messiah complex and inherent antisemitism

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
^^ option one: trying to boil piss; option two: they didn't think it through when registering the domain

yep, here we are
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1338137725552177153

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Sad Panda posted:

The lack of internet savvy from Team Corbyn is slightly shocking in not registering some obvious URLs. https://projectforpeaceandjustice.com/ set up as a troll website already.
starting off well, isn't it? when the website that has the name of your project has

quote:

Copyright © 2020 Project for peace and justice - All Rights Reserved.This Project does Not accept the WORKING DEFINITION OF ANTISEMITISM by the IHRA
at the bottom, and such gems as

quote:

Seeing a need for energetic, nonprofit work in this area, we formed our organization after some of us rightly got booted out of Labour! and the commute to Hamas HQ wasn't covered by expenses.

Food justice is an important part of community justice. We take donations form local businesses and use them to fight hunger. One of us has an allotment too .
hungry people being hilarious, i'm sure you'll all agree. there's a real air of nastiness around the whole thing.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Nutapii posted:

He's actually always been a fat gently caress, he just wears oversized suit jackets for the optical illusion of being slim and tall, and thus eccentric as opposed to owner baron.
Note the straining button on the left.
Ain't none of that flowing freely from chest to waist, it's all filled, again straining button lower left.
Oh my god, this is breaking my brain. I always saw him as very much being a Thin Man in a top hat.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Comrade Fakename posted:

This coronavirus variant stuff is a bullshit excuse made up by the government for why they’ve let another surge happen, right?
a new and terrifying variant which somehow spreads between people who aren't in pubs. heavens preserve us, we never saw this coming

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

namesake posted:

The more I think about it the more I'm just astounded that the government didn't start by introducing a 10 point scale or something with 0 being 'We've cured COVID 19' and 9 being 'Stay at home even if your house is on fire' and then just use that in all circumstances rather than introducing new rankings and tiers and scales whenever their stupid controls fail.

Even as new things come down the pipe like the impact of schools reopening or a new strain it would only require an upgrade or at worst a sector specific change to the scale system rather than unclear new restrictions getting fired out at random.
that would mean that they know things could be worse than Tier 3, and that's not a comforting message to give the newspapers, especially because if it gets worse people start asking questions like "if they knew it could get much worse why weren't they taking more measures before now?"

much better to have an entirely new and unexpected threat from a mutation; after all, since it's a mutation it couldn't be seen a mile off

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Jose posted:

I hate to agree with Rafael behr but this seems right
i've said it before, he governs like a university student who's used to bluffing his way through exams and tutorials having never done the reading and having it work every time; it's Eton-Oxford brain

gh0stpinballa posted:

do you think this will be enough to get the government to admit they're lying about this second strain
it's going to be extremely funny watching them try and ride the impossibly thin line between "bad enough to cancel Christmas" and "not so bad as to need us to be isolated from the rest of the world"

any decision they take will probably only make things more farcical

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

bump_fn posted:

amazing just amazing ahahhahahahaha
https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1340698166350516226

https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1340727266427490304

11am tomorrow, set your alarms

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Jose posted:

when you've definintely not lost so many members you're realising you've poo poo the bed

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1341025218257702912?s=20
furious competiton to get 3rd place and no higher, securing the £200 digital spend credits

until you find out they're only for the Labour Party shop!!!

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Guavanaut posted:

My cups are all looking a bit chipped so I'll just use it to buy 8x £25 Jess Phillips cups with Jess Phillips on them and the iconic tagline 'Jess Phillips'.
you too could be the proud owner of 18 copies of Clause IV (framed, £12.00 £10.80 winter sale!)

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
Integrity, Authority, Unity, KPIs

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Whoever the woman is, she's wearing that face women wear when they're hoping their friends will think the guy with his arm round her is a boyfriend.
(Don't ask me how I know.. my sad and pathetic younger life writ large)

But yuck, how could anyone... bleurgh...
that would be Pippa Crerar, the journalist asking the slightly awkward question on over-promising and under-delivering mentioned above

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 21, 2020

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Convex posted:

I've started (posting about PC game giveaways), so I'll finish: Brigador is free on GOG today. I don't know much about the game but the soundtrack is :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAzIuxldPhE

(you get the soundtrack as an extra with the game)
game itself is very good imo, certainly worth trying for free to see if you click with it

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
love to canvas for KPIer Starmer; maybe the central office will, in recognition, send a Shadow Cabinet member to spit in my eyes and call me worthless

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

DesperateDan posted:

It's not just HS2, the entire ecosystem is taking a serious kicking and thanks to extensive greenwashing efforts many people think it's all fine and dandy because the number of trees went up and it really loving isn't.

Okay I'm gonna put my soapbox away and go order some more trees now
a very good post and some lovely nature pics there, also fuzzy :3:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Borrovan posted:

Thank you, I must have made a half dozen "actually destroying irreplaceable natural resources is bad" arguments wrt HS2 itt & am getting pretty bored of it, yours is much more memorable :) (E: & well informed)
Seeing Like A State is a pretty good source for this stuff. also the last few chapters of The Dialectical Biologist as well iirc if you want a more explicitly Marx-y read on it, although it's getting on a bit

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
^^ yet another game i haven't played yet and really must get around to

Sanford posted:

Thanks to whoever pointed out you could get it for a tenner from Epic Games!
ooh, good catch! bought

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Play whatever, embrace failure.
a good philosophy for life, i feel

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
Matt Hancock to journalist: "you're so tempting"

that was extremely uncomfortable

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
just preserving it for posterity

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1341773708919189505

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/DanielHewittITV/status/1342119843152146437
Victory for Bullldog Boris, Brexiting Britain is Brilliant Again!

(- special report by Boris Johnson)
I look forward to people frantically trying to explain how it actually fucks us and being utterly ignored in the celebration of how wonderful Bojo is

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Kernel Monsoon posted:

So where is the deal? When do we find out all the terrible concessions the UK made at the last second?
we go to wonk sites to find out exactly how we're going to get hosed, because lord knows we won't see anything in the media

although Big Nige is looking he might pop back up claiming we're still too close to the EU!!!, so maybe he'll be able to tell us

ed: christmas

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 24, 2020

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
i'm glad the UK and the EU have come together in this trying time to erase all programming languages descended from C

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah it was like "On your knees, bitch" or something, to a man. The man he said it to said "it was clearly jovial". Obviously it would have been better if he wouldn't have said it, but he did apologise and say that he realised it was inappropriate after, but because Clive is on the left, Jess Phillips made a big thing of it.

There may be other things I don't know about.
also an accusation of sexual harrassment resulting from the same conference, where "the NEC’s sexual harassment panel has ruled that on the balance of the evidence the matter should not be referred to a full hearing of the national constitutional committee". during the leadership election, there were also some women on Twitter in his constituency, from what i remember, saying that he made odd comments to them at CLP meetings or made them feel uncomfortable at the gym by staring at them (can't find the tweets now)

then there was this whole thing from this interview, which ruffled a few feathers

quote:

In terms of the allegations that happened at the party conference in 2017, they were dismissed, the case was dropped by the party. When people understand the facts – which is that during a selfie I put my arm around her and my hand slapped her thigh. She claims I squeezed her bum, but I can’t remember that. It’s entirely possible that I did hug her in for the selfie, and it could be seen as a squeeze, that’s something that I have to accept.

I’ve spent 40 plus years as Clive Lewis, and one of the things you have to come to terms with is you are no longer just Clive Lewis – you are Clive Lewis MP. It does come with responsibilities, and so someone asking to be in a picture with you, and you putting your arm around them and hugging them in, [I have to remember that I’m doing it as] Clive Lewis MP, in the public eye. So there is a power dynamic, which means that you just can’t do that. So I have had to change how I engage with people – women especially. It’s a really sad thing to say, but it is a sign of our times. I also have to think about that when I’m alone with female activists. You never want to be in a situation where someone can make a claim when it’s their word against yours. Those are the things you have to think about now: you shouldn’t have to, and I never did before, but I think since the #MeToo movement, there’s a more heightened sense about those power relationships.

none of this being conclusive proof, of course

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/BrewDogJames/status/1344584543341326338

I've got a vague recollection of Brewdog being Bad somehow but this is a shitload more than that melted Thundercat in charge of Wetherspoons has ever offered to help the country in his entire loving life.
a nice big sign on the door saying Shots! Shots! Shots!

may be a PR exercise, but assuming their equipment's up to it, this could be a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
Happy new year, let's ride this rollercoaster hooting all the way!

looks like a lot of loops ahead, wonder what that's about. eh, i'm sure it'll be fine.