Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund Monthly Update - 1st 3rd December 2020 :siren:

Thanks to generous goons for ensuring we ran a surplus this month!

A few points of fund-related news:

1) Due to Paypal rules on donations requiring us to provide a company registration number, we've been looking into the possibility of registering the Fund as a community interest company (CIC). However, on closer examination, this seems unsuitable for us; switching to a CIC model would require us to register a new company, do some legal legwork to combine it with the Fund as it currently exists, and appoint one or more directors who would have complete legal control of the fund; they are designed to be run as businesses, albeit with the proceeds going to benefit the community.

Instead we're going to press ahead with the alternative which is to register with the Charities Commission, which will give us a charity number to provide to Paypal and hopefully keep them off our (treasurer's) back.

2) In order to make any changes to make the operation of the Fund, or to update the Constitution to something the Charities Commission will be likely to approve, we need to resolve a longstanding issue with said Constitution - namely the bar to passing votes, which currently requires a two thirds or simple majority of the entire membership (not just those members who participate in the vote) - a functionally impossible bar to clear, considering the membership requirement is "be a goon who reads the UKMT". Whoops, my bad. We've figured out how to fix this, though, and I'll be laying the details out in a later post.

3) Next month will be election time for the Solidarity Fund committee! The election will be announced in the thread at the start of January. There will be a one-week period for nominations and then a week of voting (unless there were 5 or fewer nominations - full details are in the Constitution, part 2 section 6). So keep an eye out for that.

November Stats:

Monthly donations and payouts:

Cumulative donations and payouts:

UKMTSF Data Trends | Record of Activity | Constitution

Donate:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/ukmtsolidarity - Please mark your donation as a gift, *not* as payment for services, as the latter incurs a charge!
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply:
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, Oscar Diggs or Rarity.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
:siren: Solidarity Fund Monthly Update :siren: has been posted on page 1 of this thread - quoting here for your convenience:

Maugrim posted:

:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund Monthly Update - 1st 3rd December 2020 :siren:

Thanks to generous goons for ensuring we ran a surplus this month!

A few points of fund-related news:

1) Due to Paypal rules on donations requiring us to provide a company registration number, we've been looking into the possibility of registering the Fund as a community interest company (CIC). However, on closer examination, this seems unsuitable for us; switching to a CIC model would require us to register a new company, do some legal legwork to combine it with the Fund as it currently exists, and appoint one or more directors who would have complete legal control of the fund; they are designed to be run as businesses, albeit with the proceeds going to benefit the community.

Instead we're going to press ahead with the alternative which is to register with the Charities Commission, which will give us a charity number to provide to Paypal and hopefully keep them off our (treasurer's) back.

2) In order to make any changes to make the operation of the Fund, or to update the Constitution to something the Charities Commission will be likely to approve, we need to resolve a longstanding issue with said Constitution - namely the bar to passing votes, which currently requires a two thirds or simple majority of the entire membership (not just those members who participate in the vote) - a functionally impossible bar to clear, considering the membership requirement is "be a goon who reads the UKMT". Whoops, my bad. We've figured out how to fix this, though, and I'll be laying the details out in a later post.

3) Next month will be election time for the Solidarity Fund committee! The election will be announced in the thread at the start of January. There will be a one-week period for nominations and then a week of voting (unless there were 5 or fewer nominations - full details are in the Constitution, part 2 section 6). So keep an eye out for that.

November Stats:

Monthly donations and payouts:

Cumulative donations and payouts:

UKMTSF Data Trends | Record of Activity | Constitution

Donate:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/ukmtsolidarity - Please mark your donation as a gift, *not* as payment for services, as the latter incurs a charge!
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply:
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, Oscar Diggs or Rarity.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Since this thread is knowledgeable about everything, I was wondering where's a good place to look for reasonably-current scientific literature on hearing rehabilitation following cochlear implant surgery? It looks like mine is going ahead and I want to know my poo poo.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
There are so many incredible flavours now. I'm never gonna get the choc and chilli but I was sad to miss out on whiskey and ginger this month.

I do have one suggestion Camrath, which is that you explicitly put numbers of remaining stock on your website - at the moment there's no explanation of why e.g. I could only select one rum 'n raisin and it looks like a glitch, although I knew the actual reason from previous attempts to break the site.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Dabir posted:

the only thing I can comprehend about this post is that it has an awful person in it

Surf 'n' turf is a mainly US dish where you combine seafood (surf) and steak (turf) on the same platter. The joke is, being a terf already, she only needs to do the surf.

It's a reach. Also I've almost certainly been beaten to this explanation because I didn't bother to refresh.

E: Not beaten :toot:

vv lmao I hope that's something she wrote somewhere

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 9, 2020

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

crispix posted:

Come to the IRC channel where old cyber-amish man crispix still enjoys living in 1997 :slick:

I dropped in a few days ago when my cat walked on the keyboard and opened two copies of IRC and I wasn't fast enough closing them before they connected. It was good, we should do it again

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

crispix posted:

You are very rude :(

;-*

Discord is cool and good ya big dinosaur

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Brexit already happened a year ago.

Even if Labour were willing to fight (they aren't) there's very little to be done in the face of this government's massive majority.

We have all dehumanised, built our stockpiles, and faced to bloodshed.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I did Latin back in the year dot (but post Roman Britain) - 1973/4 to be precise.

As an example, we were taught that 'princeps' was pronounced 'prin-keps' which I think is the reconstructed Roman pronunciation not 'princheps'

I did Latin at school from probably '90-'98? And I never knew there was another pronunciation besides the hard 'c'.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Dugong posted:

After yesterday’s announcement my sister and I have both decided to not go home for Christmas. Parents wanted us to come home last night and even though I tested negative last week and have barely left the flat since that didn’t feel right. Going to have Christmas with the boyfriend and go for a walk with my sister on Christmas Eve now which should be nice but do feel bad for mum and dad as I think they were really excited to have us all home.

Asda today was chaos. We got there before 11 but it was already open. Not sure why they bother having the fencing outside for the queue when it was rammed inside. I wonder if it’s just security not wanting to deal with customer aggro. It’s just ridiculous because queuing outside is much nicer than swamped aisles or queuing to pay.

That's probably the approach we'd have taken in your situation, though as our actual plan was for my wife's dad and brother to come to us we just had to cancel them (they didn't argue).

Mostly just replying to say I saw your avatar and thought you were Video Games until I got to the bit about your boyfriend.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Clement posted:

this loving government is the absolute loving pits. Cannot get over how enormously awful it is. I will loathe the Tories until the day I die.

:hmmyes:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I only leafleted, but I donated a fairly wince-inducing amount to the 2019 campaign. I'm loving furious at how it was misused and you're drat right I won't be lifting a finger for them next year, even though I've chosen to stay in the party.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Olive oil is fine, the thing about getting it really sizzling before you pour the batter in is unproven, what has been demonstrated is resting your batter for as long as possible (even a day or more) gives a consistently better rise and texture.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Growing up in the Sussex countryside pheasants were by far the most common roadkill so I can believe that. The most oblivious birds.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

frankenbeans posted:

We ordered a bunch of pre-prepared stuff from Cook a few weeks back because we were already loving off the idea of going anywhere for Christmas. Turkey wrapped in bacon with some interesting stuffing, fantastic roast potatoes, veg, gravy and pigs in blankets. It was a bit salty due to all the bacon, but I was down with it. It was the perfect amount of food, nothing wasted, and all the packaging is easily recyclable. Would buy again A++. Shame there weren't any yorkies, but my plate was crammed already.

Then a bunch of JD/Coke and a couple of the wifes prescription pills and I've been buzzing since lunchtime. Had a nice walk in the woods and now I'm working my way through a box of orange matchmakers and more JD.

Had a good one, hope y'alls did too.

We're going to tier 4 tomorrow, so that'll be fun.

Cook were loving amazing for us when the kids were tiny. Pricey obviously but saves so much time and really really nice food, especially the desserts. So many desserts.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Lol he's so bad at this

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/28/starmer-high-profile-labour-rebellion-brexit-deal-vote

The Guardian posted:

Keir Starmer is facing a high-profile rebellion against Labour’s Brexit position on the eve of the vote in parliament, as prominent MPs including John McDonnell and Clive Lewis accused him of “falling into the trap of rallying around this rotten deal”.

Labour is likely to contain a major rebellion of frontbench MPs but an increasing number of prominent supporters are urging Starmer to change course. Backbenchers have also raised concerns on private WhatsApp groups that Labour’s endorsement for the deal has been given without the legislation being published.

My MP has been sounding out LP members in her constituency about how she should vote and since this is one of the remainiest places in the country I'll be interested to see what feedback she gets and whether she'll dare to stray from the whip in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Well I was wondering what my MP would do in the Brexit vote and it seems she went against the whip and abstained (following the preference of a clear majority of her constituents) and therefore has resigned from the front bench. Principled!