Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

peanut- posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/dec/03/gavin-williamson-britains-a-much-better-country-than-all-of-them

Every time they open their loving mouths I get a loss less confident in this vaccine

Good thing the UK government is doing so much to support and sustain the research community it is justifiably proud of: fostering strong international ties, ensuring the continuation of international research funding, making it easy and attractive for scientists from other countries to visit and work in the country, encouraging postgrads from overseas (who then stay on to turn into UK researchers), giving young British researchers good reasons not to leave for better money and conditions abroad, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

The Question IRL posted:

And don't get me started on Amazon Prime Video. The UK version of Prime Video was much worse than the US version. But the Irish version was even worse.
About 5 years ago I did a months free trial of Prime Video because I wanted to watch American Gods and Bosch.
At the time the UK version didn't have American Gods and even though they had Bosch on the banner for Prime Video it wasn't available in Ireland.

I feel like there was a year or two where Netflix and to a lesser extent Amazon Prime Video were pretty OK and worth the money (especially if you had a Prime subscription anyway). Then other players caught up, the licensing deals dried up and now you have one or two flagship shows you might actually want to see split across eight different platforms and endless crap that isn't worth your time or money.

Meanwhile The Piratebay has stayed rock solid in its comprehensive media offerings and unbeatable subscription price. (This is the cue for some Usenet-in-2020 greybeard to extoll its pedigree and advantages).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I can't say that my friend in another country who uses TBP has had any problems like that, but I'm sure they'll be pleased to hear about the alternative. :tipshat:

e:
Haha, somehow I just knew it would be you!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I've felt the opposite - when I've listened to Chapo in general it just doesn't seem interesting or funny. I've heard some of the individual members being quite good on other shows though.

With TF Riley often has interesting stuff to say and Milo is really funny, but for a long run Alice seemed intent on just constantly speaking over everyone else with rewarmed jokes. She's calmed down a bit recently and it's got a lot better again for it IMO. I do really like the Milo and Nate Britainology episodes, and wish Riley would do some more commie book clubs. Also seems like Hussein is on it less and less and when he is he doesn't say much (I saw that PiP's own Rob is on 10,000 Posts this week though).

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
A big citizenship ceremony where everyone involved is extremely uncomfortable and embarrassed but has to pretend to be having a great time is really the perfect introduction to life as a Brit. In seriousness, all sounds pretty good and I'm surprised and heartened that there appears to be such support for it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Can't he simply sell his glass eels in the markets newly opened thanks to our fabulous non-EU trade deal with *spins Liz Truss wheel o' trade* Côte d’Ivoire?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Some of those do seem a little much, but assuming the courses are effective in the first place it's probably good to have volunteers who can be relied upon not to yell slurs at people coming to be vaccinated or nonce their children, who know where the fire escapes are and can recognise anaphylaxis.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Regarde Aduck posted:

I can't actually listen to these dickheads anymore. I mean the scientists and experts. They are at best weak willed and unable to convince the people that matter and at worse actively stupid. Every crisis point, such as this, has just as many 'experts' argueing the exact opposite. Which means half of them are lying or wrong. There's been no consensus on anything. It's all hosed.

This is not usually due to a lack of scientific consensus so much as most scientists not having a bigger public platform than their Twitter. See a much larger issue than covid - anthropogenic climate change. There has been a scientific consensus on the broad strokes of that for decades. If you read a paper on, for instance, Arctic ecology the opening paragraphs where they describe the context will be full of hair-raising, literal end-of-the-world facts that are completely established and accepted by the relevant scientific community. Yet even now when you get a distinguished professor on TV saying how hosed we are there has to be opposing them some crank paid to claim that Shell is a green company and everything is fine, for balance. No surprise then that people think there is ongoing uncertainty on the issue.

I don't know much about virology or epidemiology, but I imagine that the public discourse is no less enthusiastically muddied there. Plus, unlike climate change, it is actually a pretty new phenomenon so there would inevitably be some disagreement even if everyone were acting in complete good faith.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Also an early happy new year to all you UKMT folk. Haven't been keeping up with the thread so much of late, but I hope you are all having a good one tonight despite the restrictions and wish you the very best in 2021.