Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I had a RyanAir-esque idea once. Passengers have to put a £1 coin in the slot to recline their chair back, but - and here's the key part - it's free for the front row. I call it the domino cash cow.

Do like the forums and also allow people to pay 50p to put the chair in front of them back up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Guavanaut posted:

The NA system that does split phase instead of three phase is bad.

The UK system that has ring circuits is terrible.

The UK having ring circuits ostensibly to save copper and then doing all the central heating with copper pipes full of stagnant water is a level beyond terrible.

Must be nice living in a house with fancy copper pipes

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
And if your piping is some kind of cheap plasticy stuff you don't need to wait 40 years! Ask me how I know

(luckily it was a small leak but jesus christ why)

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Scan while you shop is the way to go folks. You bag it all up as you go around the supermarket and there’s never any real queues, and it saves an absurd amount of time.

Yeah it's great. On the one hand yes I am doing their work for them but it means you can just bag stuff properly as you shop, pay, and load it straight in your car.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I had a friend who described himself as being conservative in that special, mind bent way where he had selected a five minute window of history where the party claimed to be about fiscal responsibility, and decided he agreed with that and so was conservative.

He disagreed with every real world conservative government though, especially Osborne and Cameron who he freely admitted were corrupt and absolutely hammering the sick and vulnerable.

But he still voted conservative, because that was the party he agreed with in principle, despite acknowledging that the leadership of successive governments were not working towards the goals he apparently agreed with.

Advocate for the devil here, but is that really so different from this thread who mostly hate the centrist Labour leadership and the Blair governments?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Just chiming in to say that the Coen brothers' The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is an excellent set of six short Western films, each quite different from the others. Their True Grit is excellent as well and is very much not set in the desert.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Supreme Court says Heathrow can proceed to request planning permission for a new runway. Full judgement here if anybody wants to trawl through it:

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2020-0042-judgment.pdf

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lungboy posted:

It sounds like Heathrow has all but canned it's 3rd runway team, so while they won the court case it might not go ahead anyway.

Of course but you can't keep a large team around for a year doing nothing while your case winds through the courts. A lot of those people were also on secondment from consultancy companies. I imagine that if Heathrow can finance it they'll restart at least some preliminary work while they see what's going to happen with the pandemic.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

therattle posted:

If nobody else claims this I would like it thanks. I used to play the original some 30 years ago...

You can get the original Railroad Tycoon off archive.org and run it in Dosbox, I started playing it again recently. I didn't remember that the other, AI-run railroads were run by historical persons, so when I started a new game in Europe ca. 1900 I was competing with both Tsar Nicholas II and Lenin, who started a new railroad in Switzerland.

Anyway my point is choo choo, motherfuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Happy new year all.