Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

I can't decide if the Dark Elves should be from Belfast or the People's Republic of Cork.

Having lived in both, the more sadist and chaotic of the two is definitely Cork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

ThomasPaine posted:

In other news I just downloaded Just Cause 4 because it's on ps plus and my word it's a fun game but it's essentially a CIA intervention simulator if one of the big bad agents was an indestructible superhero.

josh04 posted:

Just Cause 2 leaned really hard into this for laughs, but it did feel like half the writing team wasn't in on the joke.

Best imo is Just Cause 3. Its better than 2 just in handling and traversing around the map, and poo poo loads to do. Its worse than 4, just niggling bugs and things missing from 3 just make it less. Still good to play, just not superior.
JC3 gave us an excellent cover of Firestarter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjAWgUN5y3U

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Bobstar posted:

This has an unfortunate side effect: most Dutch shops, even the biggest supermarkets, don't take credit cards, or things that function like credit cards (including UK debit cards), because they don't want to pay the processing fees - they only accept local debit cards, or ones from neighbouring countries that work the same. So when UK friends and family visit, we tell them to bring cash because none of their cards will work, and they laugh and say they're sure they will. Then we visit a cash point with them.

The giant MasterCard advert at Schiphol baggage claim doesn't help...

Dutch cards are the cause of most random chargebacks for the company I work for.
Their banks just do not like sending money outside of the country.
The customer could be using us for every month for the last 10 years, then at random BAMMM! the bank denies and blocks us as we are 'suspicious'.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Mechanical mandible posted:

except ATMs worked on business hours; better hope you got the cash out before 5pm otherwise you’re outta luck.

In the late 90s I remember the rush to the ATMs before Friday 5-6pm as they wouldn't be restocked until the following Monday.
It would ruin your entire weekend if you couldn't get money out.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What annoys me is that most of the banks / card companies have stopped you being able to put in travel details which surely could help claiming that you'd be able to use your card. I don't see why they don't let you do that anymore.

Can only guess to stop it being used in the country you 'cleared' it for to send money to somewhere else where it can't be claimed back.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

blunt posted:

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1334543848333332482
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55162318

"High-value business traveller" is a very depressing phrase, and I'm sure this won't be abused at all.

Sneaksie way to get all the rich ex-pats back in before the wall goes up.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Gonzo McFee posted:

I think they'll just blame whoever the papers tell them to blame tbh. So immigrants, the EU and the Left most likely.

This.

Papers have been stirring up immigrant hatred for yonks, they don't need to keep to the same story to continue, they just adapt.
So far its Gammon 'too many bloomin foreigners over here' groupthink.

But once the food supply is threatened, and farms are falling all over the place as no one will work for them, the newspapers will blame the EU in a vague way like how the EU is preventing workers from coming over to punish the UK for reclaiming back freedom and sovereignty.
Then the Gammons will be 'bloomin foreigners think they are too good not wanting to work for us'.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Mebh posted:

we're basically moving to a "we don't care when you work or how you work as long as you do your tasks and are available if someone needs you"

This is ok if you have a good home space to work in.
This year has been a small first world version of hell for myself and a few others workwise. Started working from home in March, and it was great at first. Something different and exciting.
But cabin fever definitely sets in. Am finding it hard to concentrate with the annoyances around me and from our connection to work.
There is a garage opposite so car repair noises, the apartment upstairs has a kid jumping what seems like 10 hours a day (and always 9 jumps in a row at a time, still don't know why maybe its the width of the room), and kids in the near estate shouting at all hours of the day. Then for the last two hours of my shift, and every day of the week, the bloke opposite plays the same 10-15 songs at 'just about can hear' levels. 1960s crooner and folk songs, wouldn't mind if they were good ones.
And then there is 3 second out of sync delay in everything with the connection to work from home.

And work says the same as what you said 'we don't care as long as you do the minimum we expect'.

Personally I would love to go back to the office atm.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Mebh posted:

That's really rough! Our office is opening up for a few others to do the same who want to so I hope you get the same. My company invested in everyone's workspaces that needed it. We got desks and pcs delivered to us and I just got a ps5 devkit too. Work provided noise cancelling headphones and keeps giving us just eat and amazon vouchers to make up for no team events.

Have you considered a good pair of headphones and asking your office to pay?

Thanks. Have a good set of headphones, only problem is that the main door for our apartment complex is right below, the vibrations come up and I feel them.
It's ok when I can hear the door sound as the brain matches it. But without it the brain thinks someones in the room. So if I go full hog with music, I end up looking at the door behind me every time at the slightest tremor. And with the one hopping up and down so hard sometimes this can be increased.

Now I love the place I am in, cheapest rent in the whole city for one, and I lived beside a creche for most of my life with all the noise from there. So noise in general isn't a thing.
Private live wise its good. But work wise its just not great for long term productivity.
And work does help with the small things, got a free proper office chair and webcam from them. But can't see them offering what would help stop these, like sound insulation or a gun.

WhatEvil posted:

From experience of noise issues (kids playing football next door IN THE (attached) HOUSE FFS, headphones, including noise-cancelling ones, only do so much for THUD THUD THUD noises.

Yeah, this.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 6, 2020

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Pity Games Workshop were so scared shitless of computer games in the 80s and 90s, otherwise they would be where Blizzard are now.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

kecske posted:

Fire Warrior was a good GW game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDh_aoyZT38

Memory can play awful tricks.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Wonder if there is only one petrol station there, and what state are its toilets.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jose posted:

Who wants to eat egg and tomato wtf

Fried egg, bit of salt on both, sure, lovely.
Hard boiled though, yeah I agree

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

a pipe smoking dog posted:

This image just always baffles me. How did anyone ever consider this an optimal way to prepare and sell sandwiches?

This was the original creators back in the 70s isn't it? No plastic coverings, anything made was either wrapped in brown paper, string, or newspaper.
When no one in 14 billion years upto that point thought 'hang on, can we can sell pre-made sandwiches?'.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

His Divine Shadow posted:

Egg and pickles is good though, or egg with some Kalles:

(think of this as scandinavian marmite)

That's really a small amount to go a whole week on.

Kaviar! Posh git.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Just Another Lurker posted:

My last item from Amazon.de arrived, nothing more getting ordered unless an Amazon.ie suddenly pops up after brexit (i'm in N.I. and rumours abound but nothing certain).

Did you get the mail from Amazon last week about possible Import Fee charges on items from the UK now?
I post things to both NI and Ireland, my family home house and my current place in the Republic.
I can see them expanding the mainland europe warehouses with more UK items, to get around the charges.
It would be mad not to.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Lungboy posted:

If you think that No Deal was the aim from the beginning then Boris has delivered and will be a hero. Whether he stays depends on how they can sell it and whether he was a sacrificial lamb to get it done then sack off afterwards.

If No Deal wasn't the aim he won't last long, the knives will be out rapidly.

My prediction is that they will only get rid of Boris immediately if he fucks up the fishing problem.
They don't give a poo poo about NI, trade, or anything else in Brexit. But fishing, the only thing the gammons pretend to really care about with Brexit, if he sells that out he's gone before March.

Otherwise there will be fireworks, flags, and FREEDOM reports in the media every day for the next few month, awhile the slow collapse begins.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
The only tories who will be bitching about no deal brexit after will be the ones that didn't make a killing at the pound dropping.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Gatts posted:

What could I buy in London with my powerful American Dollars after Brexit happens?

Perhaps... *checks notes* ...some healthcare.

Seeing how its going, a Lord seat.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP11jDHwX98

Pinnacle of cowboy movies here.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Needs that hbomberguy aquaman meme, but with 'STOCKPILE OUR SHOPS HOW! FROM THE SAME SUPPLIES THAT WONT GET IN QUICK ENOUGH!'

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Can see a rise in vegetarians due to Brexit.
Or just meat not bought as often as could be more of a 'luxury' good as it used to be.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Katt posted:

On a scale of 1-10. How Diminished has the DUPs political influence in the UK become in the last year?

Infinitesimal.
They are back to infighting amongst themselves and pettiness point scoring against Sinn Fein.
Foster is no doubt trying to phone Boris daily, to try to get back to the adult table.
The Evangelical old guard of the DUP are getting more and more boisterous, they are not happy with Foster

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

"If there is no hungry kids, who will run along my car like in the old days with hands outstretched for the crumbs I throw at them?"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
If it was a Corbyn govt talking now about Brexit, you would have Boris and Farage at the white cliffs of dover calling for shooting down anything that comes close.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Endjinneer posted:

So let me get this right. One of the key sticking points in brexit negotiations is our conservative overlords, champions of the free market and small government are willing to go to the wall for the freedom to provide state subsidies to businesses?

I maybe reading this wrong, but loving hell its more farcical than that.
The UK wants the right to tell the EU what it can and can not fund or invest in.
Take any product or service, if the UK wants to make it and sell, the EU can't invest money in that same product anywhere within the EU as that would be making competition against the UK.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

RockyB posted:

Talked some of the guys in the office (maybe not 'in' the office) into a last Friday before Christmas game of Defcon.

Then I saw this in the manual and have spent the last five minutes cracking up.

Brexit Survival Tips: Despite what communists tell you, stockpiling food will not help you ...

The old TV show Threads is a more upbeat view on what Brexit will be like.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

TheRat posted:

Ive got maybe 40 hours in cyberpunk on a fairly decent pc and the only bugs Ive seen so far have been minor visual glitches. Im absolutely loving it so far (nearing the end of act 2), but I'm guessing thats because I had 550 hours in the witcher 3 and went into this expecting a futuristic witcher rather than a GTA game. For me it's one of my favourite games of all time, especially if they can work out the glitches and provide top tier dlc like they did with witcher 3.

I play on PC too, and have had a few fun bugs.
I called my bike, it drove up, and every car behind it would drive up, hit it, and backflip bounce 10m into the air.
Another time, running on the street at night time in a sleezy area to enjoy the atmos and see what I can see, and every human model changes into 10yo kids.
Just kids half my size everywhere, walking down the street at 4am, telling me to watch my step.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Let me announce some new rules that will no way be enforceable.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Personally I hope the new variant makes you poo poo blood from every orifice.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
UKMT December 2020 - Proud manufacturing world leader of Covid variants

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
itty bitty 'a new leadership' just behind Starmer

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
It sucks.
But it's best to do this instead of having to plan for a funeral in New Years.

Must be in a minority here, Christmas is waaaaay overrated.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Who knew that the must have present for Christmas 2020 was diarrhea bags.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

endlessmonotony posted:

So how did Brexit work out, in the end?

Might go onto extra time.
Then penalty kicks.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Christmas forces reluctant boris to step up

*Next page*
Treasonous Strugeon Cancels Christmas For Orphans and War Widows

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

stev posted:

I think we're getting to the root of the problem with these nonsensical rules.

I can't believe how many times these things have been tweaked and changed in the last year. Remember that second lockdown? Or the original tier system?

Track and Trace? Remember how it was best in the world too.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Then Cummings decided to test his eye sight by driving 200 miles to a tourist attraction.
Which was fine by Boris.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
On the first day of Christmas my Prime Minister gave to me, a mutant virus and a lock down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Lungboy posted:

As predicted the regulations don't actually stop you leaving t4 so good luck with that, Hancock.

Last week he was crying in relief that his job was safe again.
Today he's sweating on Sky News how everyone must do their thing to protect his rear end again