Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Camrath posted:

My fudge these days has been coming out closer to tablet actually- I suspect after some experimentation that my thermometer has been under reading so the syrup goes into hard-ball stage.

What type of fudge do you make? I wanted to try some from you but I bought some "butter fudge" from somewhere last year and it wasn't pleasant, it had a kind of grainy texture to it that I didn't like. I don't know anything about fudge, is it all made from butter? It was quite dissimilar to the stuff you get in pick n mix that's for sure, I love that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Camrath posted:

So, all fudge is made with butter (or non-dairy equivalent for vegan types). Tablet is a subset of fudge/ it’s hard and crumbly rather than soft. But neither should be grainy- that’s a sign of an improper cooking process.

Ahh I see, maybe it was just a rubbish batch then. I'd love to try your stuff, do you plan to make any more of the sold out flavours before Christmas?

OwlFancier posted:

All fudge is grainy to some degree in my experience, otherwise it's toffee?

I dunno, it had a kind of soggy, greasy texture as well as grainy - not nice.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Camrath posted:

Yeah, it sounds like that wasn’t cooked hot enough, then not properly beaten while cooling.

Afraid that I won’t be restocking before Christmas- I’m moving on Friday and it’ll take a little time to get my kitchen recertified for commercial use (5* health certificate, yo!). Aiming to be up and running in January though!

That's cool, I'll catch you next year then. I probably don't need more sweets over Christmas anyway, to be honest. Hope you have a good move!

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
Another one for a first Christmas spent alone this year, I'm kinda looking forward to the new experience in some ways. I haven't seen my family for an entire year now as they live in Norfolk and Grantham, and I'm in Somerset. It's been a strange time for me, it's definitely had an impact on my mental health which was poor in the first place. The weirdest thing for me is that I was slightly relieved to not be travelling and seeing family, which really makes me worry about what kind of recluse I'm turning into. I've always been fairly solitary but anxiety has really exacerbated that process, and lockdowns have been the perfect excuse. I need to try and shake out of it next year, covid willing. I was hoping to get away from home for some camping over the break but the excellent pandemic handling has hosed that as I'll be in tier 3 from the weekend.

Anyways that's my little story, the plastic/cardboard chat has been very interesting for someone concerned with waste and packaging but with no real understanding of material differences.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
Happy Christmas you lot, may your day be blissfully free of tories

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
I'm on my own today and cooking stuff from scratch, I'm gonna make a yorkshire pudding and roasties but dunno whether I should use olive oil (I have light and regular) or coconut oil, any recommendations?

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

Go for the light olive oil. If you can get to a shop some rapeseed oil is best.

Thanks mate, I'll go with the the light then

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
Hopefully the flavour of the light one won't come through too strongly

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Personally I'd not, because to get a proper Yorkie you need the fat at whatever the highest temp your oven can do when you pour the batter in, and olive oil's smoke point is somewhere below that.

Having said that a lot of the oil gets absorbed into the batter (you know you've done it perfectly when there's just a teeny tiny bit of oil/fat at the bottom of the tray) which is why beef dripping is best, coconut oil might give it a bit of a weird taste. One trick I've used is sunflower oil with like a tiny corner of an oxo cube thoroughly mixed in (or just some of the beef juices if you're cooking beef) to give it a bit of flavour.

Hmm now I don't know what to do, I don't really want to taste coconut oil and I don't want to burn the olive oil. I have some Trex in the fridge, I don't know why, is that a decent option?

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Wolfsbane posted:

Trex is vegan lard, so that should be perfect. Might try it myself actually.

I plan to make this later, assuming I can be bothered:

https://vegsoc.org/recipes/woodland-pie/

Sweet, thank you

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
I grew up around horses, they are terrifying and kinda sweet sometimes. We had a poor farm and mum started a livery yard to make some extra money, some of the horse owners were totally insane and one of them would just barge into our kitchen during dinner (christmas dinner once) and one lady even tried to burn the place down.

Well my trex yorkshire pud came out quite flat which was a bit disappointing, but tasted lovely. The roasties were tremendous too! No meat for me but goddamn do I love a roast dinner anyway.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Probably not the fault of the fat. As an experienced fucker-up of yorkshire puds, I'll talk you through the autopsy:

If the whole thing just didn't rise, or didn't rise much, but browned properly, leaving you with a thick pancake, you either didn't get enough air into it when you whipped it or you made the batter too thick. One trick I find that makes it a bit easier to hit the sweet spot is to use half milk/half water instead of milk.

If it rose a bit and browned but tasted stodgy like a dumpling, you made the batter too thin, over-whipped it, or didn't leave it to stand long enough (some people claim multiple hours, but 20 minutes should be more than enough) and the flour didn't bind properly, letting all the air out before it had a chance to set. This also commonly happens if you open the oven too early or the oven just can't reach full temperature. Weirdly using a little less flour and liquid (so there's a bigger ratio of egg in the mix) can help you avoid this if you've just got a crap slow oven.

If the top of it exploded out and browned or even started to burn leaving you with a stodgy bottom (especially one which sticks to the tray) you added too much batter to the tray or didn't have the oil hot enough when you put the batter in. This obviously is much more common when you're trying to make big ones, when (look the other way purists) it's acceptable to put a pinch of baking powder into the mix or use about 30% self-raising flour.

Yeah I assumed it'd be user error rather than the fat. I went for a single big pud and cooked it in a frying pan (in the oven of course), it browned nicely and bubbled out in several spots, but was generaly flat. It wasn't stodgy, a thick pancake is definitely how I'd describe it, and the crust of it was quite firm and solid. No sticking.
I did use half and half liquids, but I also used strong bread flour cos that's all I had so that must have had some effect. I'm guessing that caused the firmer, crunchier texture? and also I only whipped it with a fork, so like you said I probably didn't get enough air into it. Oh and the oven was probably a bit too low cos it was in with other stuff. Thanks for the autopsy (aupudsy?), I was pretty pleased overall anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
Good luck everyone, I wish you all a lovely new year