Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

An amicable divorce is probably the best outcome for the US at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

I have a lot of thoughts on the subject and not much time to give my Ted talk. The short, short, short version is we have about three (human) generations of IT technology never designed with security in mind now globally interconnected. Security is still seen as an optional upgrade strongly encouraged to be purchased by the end user. So you don't get economies of scale because no one has the incentive to remove generations of poor design choices and rearchitect our digital infrastructure in a secure way. Basically the public only sees the wildfires but the actual issue is the decades of abysmal digital forest ecosystem management.

This is a very technology centric view of security. Lately I've come around to seeing security through the lens of an immune system. The right balance is to invest enough in defense such that you're unlikely to die from an infection, but occasionally you'll get knocked on your rear end for a while.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I understand where you're coming from and you are obviously justifiably angry but you're also being a bit of a jerk about it when you keep making these kinds of posts. It's not like Best Friends was personally responsible for the disbursement and administration of PPP loans (...Probably. Has anyone seen him and Steve Mnuchin in the same room?), and it's not like he's defending the massive corruption and graft—merely noting that in spite of the graft, the program did do a lot to help people who needed it. And obviously people should demand more direct relief, nobody disagrees with that—but another round of PPP will do good in helping people.

My brother's non-profit was directly responsible for handing out PPP loans. He helps small to medium businesses that are struggling to get access to capital. While there were a bunch of dumbass things about the program, he said at the time the pot of money needed to be about 10x larger so that he could help all the folks he works with.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

I loving hate this country more and more I realize it doesn't stack up to it's own bullshit fanfiction I believed.

Ideals are a tool to help large groups of people act in better ways. The gap between the ideal and reality should be a spur to help close it. That's how we've gone from only landed white men having the vote to universal suffrage and from chattel slavery to something much closer to equality. American of 2020 is much better than America of 1776, and has improved most along lines congruent with our national fanfiction.