Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

I'm really curious as to the security measures this dude has.

I've studied some amount of executive protection stuff and have friends who currently do it for B-list celebs, and I can't imagine how you would keep this dude alive even if the Russian Government has a want to maintain some amount of direct deniability. I assume a lot of it has to be he rotates living quarters frequently, his food/drink is procured by layers of cutouts, and he doesn't go outside much.

This assumes Russia doesn’t actually want the foreign public to know what they’re doing. Considering the response to assassination attempts on foreign soil is “so what are you going to do about it” the bellingcats of the world are probably neutral to good in Putin’s view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

There's a difference between having a dude suicided, get stabbed during a mugging, or get sick and die, and having the police just straight up arrest the dude and put a bullet in the dudes dome. I assume its because the government wants to maintain some amount of direct deniability with regards to the dudes mysteriously untimely death for whatever reason.

I feel like you wouldn't use your special toxin commando team on a dude you don't care if he lives or dies.

The position is that he could've died, so the message was sent.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

From what I understand the senate tacked the COVID relief bill onto a defense appropriations bill and then renamed it CoViD relief so we get all this technically correct hilarity

https://twitter.com/alanrmacleod/status/1341133707449647104?s=21

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ireland :allears:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jarmak posted:

This is the text of the bill, it does not affect twitch streamers:

Publicly performing works like say playing a video game or performing a song without the express written permission of the publisher?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They called in the bomb threat and it was a real bomb? Does anyone other than the 80s IRA do that?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

Current Event: WW84 is a good film that needs a tight 90-105min edit

Honestly the same could be said of almost every film made these days.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

As Nero Danced posted:

This reminds me, how the hell are binary triggers legal? It's a second bullet fired for every trigger pull (technically it fires a bullet when you release the trigger), so that should run afoul of gun laws to my limited understanding of the situation.

From arfcom (ugh), here’s the document and this on page 83

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/1120876/download

quote:

The Department disagrees that other firearms or devices, such as rifles, shotguns,
and binary triggers, will be reclassified as machineguns under this rule. Although rifles
and shotguns are defined using the term "single pull of the trigger," 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(5),
(7), the statutory definition of "machinegun" also requires that the firearm "shoots
automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading," by a single function of the
trigger, 26 U.S.C. 5845(b). While semiautomatic firearms may shoot one round when the
trigger is pulled, the shooter must release the trigger before another round is fired. Even
if this release results in a second shot being fired, it is as the result of a separate function
of the trigger. This is also the reason that binary triggers cannot be classified as
"machineguns" under the rule--one function of the trigger results in the firing of only
one round. By contrast, a bump-stock-type device utilizes the recoil energy of the
firearm itself to create an automatic firing sequence with a single pull of the trigger.
The
Department notes that ATF has already described a "single pull of the trigger" as a
"single function of the trigger." See ATF Ruling 2006-2.

It makes no sense but no gun regulation in the US makes much sense so

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

They should take the “&T” off their buildings and letterhead till they can demonstrate technology commensurate with this century.
code:

OK

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought escape goat would be some wacky autocorrect thing but Siri at least understands scapegoat so that is 100% intentional.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I thought C-Spam was supposed to be the lighter comedy version of D&D, as opposed to even more whacky?

As a result DND has sort of ossified into a “Biden can do no wrong” forum (with similar moderating) and C-SPAM is full nihilist leftist.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Just steal the star trek movies 2-6 uniforms and be done with it, thats straddling a dangerous line between nazis and sky admiral.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Midjack posted:

He always brought in a shitload of earmarked funding to KY when that was still a thing.

He still is as majority leader despite earmarks no longer being a thing. For example, one of the big compromise bills that passed cutting a bunch of stuff during the Obama years had a ton of money for an Ohio river locks system randomly and mysteriously added immediately before the final voting.

If you want to play conspiracy angles McConnell might actually be “owned” by China. Except, the good capitalist China so nobody cares, unleash Chiang, etc

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lake of Methane posted:

FDA wants to charge distilleries $14k for making hand sanitizer this year.

https://twitter.com/justinboldaji/status/1344796535742222339?s=20

So was this tax added by the cares act or did it go something like:
we want to let distilleries make hand sanitizer,
oops, hand sanitizer is a medical product and medical products must be licensed by the fda,
fine it’s an emergency all distilleries now have the license
license costs $x/year
oops, all distilleries now have to pay that