Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

PeterCat posted:

I thought the thing in Hollywood was to make sure the actor matched the role. See for example all the people that got mad that Benedict Cumberbatch played Khan even though Ricardo Montalban wasn't a Sikh either.

There were also people angry that the actor playing Sulu is of Korean descent and not Japanese descent.

Star Trek can be weirdly inconsistent. On DS9 Bashir is culturally Muslim and when his parents showed up the show went out of their way to find a Muslim actress which were not common at the time, but found a good fit from a community theater.

Then on Enterprise Hoshi was played by a Korean actor. Japanese and Koreans are not fungible dang it, just rewrite the character to switch the hometown. Although the biggest one was Patrick Stewart playing a Frenchman, I think the producers were so thankful they talked Roddenberry into accepting Picard after an exhausting casting process that they didn't bother fighting over his ancestry no longer making sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It’s interesting to see any German colonial legacy still exist...since the largest effect they had on the region was Genocide. Like no poo poo worse then the British and arguably worse then Belgium since the goal was depraved slavery and amputations and murder as opposed to straight up murdering everyone and only that.

It was fascinating learning how Italy was straight up defeated by Ethiopia in 1896 and lost 6,000 guys. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Adwa

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Went to dentist yesterday. He mentioned people are absolutely destroying their teeth grinding at night that’s he’s had to schedule four emergency surgeries for people who previously had no problems. So if you have access to a night guard for your teeth that might be a good idea.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

I found this really helpful as I suffer greatly from night teeth grinding (my husband says it sounds like I am chewing rocks)

https://www.healthline.com/health/tmj-exercises

If it works for your situation I'd 100% recommend getting a night guard. I was grinding my teeth for years and foolishly ignored suggestions to get one until after I had done damage, and after I finally got one immediately saw improvement. I was probably a few years away from needing major surgery without one.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

this is either

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1335679426516881409

1) about fuckin time

2) an excuse to pull him off the road

I honestly thought he already had it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

“106 congressman”

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/nytimes/status/1338293969696985096

Yay! Good call.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Cleveland Spiders sounds like it might be a contender, that would be lots of fun. Seattle is getting an NHL expansion with the Kraken and that was a brilliant choice, zero games played or players signed and their merch has sold like crazy, even to people who don’t care about sports.

Porfiriato posted:

Putin built an inch-for-inch replica of his office at his dacha in Sochi so he can pretend to be Working Hard! from Moscow while he's really at the beach:

https://twitter.com/nytimesworld/status/1338154232055205889?s=20

You KNOW Trump absolutely would have built a fake Oval Office at Mar a Lago in 2017 and never set foot in Washington again if he thought could've gotten away with this.

Kinda forgotten amid the civil war but I remember when the Ukrainian strongman was deposed his ludicrous Michael Jacksonesque estate was opened for tourists. Fascinating glimpse into how those guys live, gotta wonder what Putin’s estates are like.

quote:

The golden bread, solid gold bricks in the shape of a loaf, was found on a table in one of the rooms in Mezhyhirya, Yanukovych's 350-acre mansion in northern Kiev. The object has become a symbol of the alleged corruption and affluent lifestyle of Yanukovych, who fled Ukraine and is in Russia.

quote:

Documents evaluated the estate's assets at around $180 million, including lavish Spanish furniture, a floating dining hall in the shape of a pirate ship, a massive greenhouse.

quote:

One of the receipts found in Yanukovych's home showed a purchase of 32 chandeliers in 2010. The most expensive one, the chandelier for the main hall, cost $11 million. A year earlier, seven tablecloths were purchased for $12,712.

"Huge sums were paid to German firms for the wooden panels and ornaments that were everywhere in the house," Lavrov said. "Those ornaments only cost approximately $2.75 million per room."

Besides the main house where Yanukovych had lavishly decorated rooms and his own church, the former president owned several guest houses, garages, a boat shed, a golf course, a spa complex and a wooden ship used for parties.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/04/02/ukraine-yanukovych/7223351/

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I don't think he fakes being gay. I think he uses it for attention sometimes, like any time an article or piece was done about him being a gay navy officer lite. But that's politics, and voting for a non-sociopath just means the next nut elected will be worse than the previous sociopath. See: Carter.

Carter being the sanity between Ford and Reagan.

How did Ford lack sanity? Not one of the greats but wouldn’t call him a lunatic.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

There's an awesome video of him breaking down major injuries. It's insane on many levels, but especially the dirtbike landing on his, uh, sensitive area. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsKXq8AQTZE

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

ASAPI posted:

My last job got a PPP loan, then promptly closed the office in my town, layed off 90% of the people there, closed two offices overseas, and canned half of the people still working at the HQ in NYC.

Man those PPP loans sure are helping us normal folk.

A friend used to work for a not good company where the owner donated over a million to trump in 2016. A quick check reveals his company got a PPP loan in the $5 to $10 million range.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/LLW902/status/1339587641692409864?s=20

Everytime I see that Lionel Hutz meme, it always gets me that we missed out on so many years of a generational talent that was Phil Hartman because of Andy Dick

Oh yeah I saw that editorial, advocates permanent US presence in Afghanistan. Lots of ink discussing “The Iliad” to show he put a lot of thought into this. He seems to think low recent US casualties mean Afghanistan is now a stable nation and the peace deal is totally going to hold up. There's another article today about how magnetic bomb attacks are skyrocketing, as the Taliban is a very serious partner in peace talks. "He should emphasize how our presence in Afghanistan stabilizes the region and assures U.S. interests abroad." Noted stable region of the world: the Middle East. Zero mention of the mass corruption exposed in WaPo last year, how the Afghan government has continued to lose control of provinces, and how despite endless billions spent the army is still ineffective with thousands dead this year and dependent on US air strikes.

quote:

It’s time to tell veterans that it’s over, that they (and we) no longer need to live in a state of perpetual war; for service members still deploying to Afghanistan, it is time to clarify that they are no longer prosecuting a war but advancing a peace. And who knows, if handled correctly, it might be the first step in ending our perpetual wars at home, too.

What does this even mean? Telling the military they'll have to stay in Afghanistan forever but it's not a perpetual war? And this will somehow calm right/left political rancor in the US?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Oh yeah that story is why I will always love and respect Jon Lovitz despite only ever liking a couple of his characters and despising most of them.

Also I found it, guys, the dumbest tweet:

https://twitter.com/mrlevine/status...ingawful.com%2F

Hahaha walk past my MegaCorp's parking lot and there are many giant pick-up trucks used as primary commuter vehicles for 50 mile round trips. They tend to park within the lines and don't cause problems but wouldn't be my first choice.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Where does Subaru ownership fall on that scale? Like, the non-sport segment of sensible wagons and suvs. Amount of flannel and golden retrievers not withstanding.

When I was working at a gas station had a Subaru pull up with a rainbow sticker and the flannel wearing owner tried to sell me WNBA tickets. They were perfectly nice but felt way too on the nose.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Midjack posted:

I had one for six years and it was a hateful piece of poo poo that left me stranded on the side of the road a half dozen times in the last year I had it and I maintained it impeccably. Never doing that again.

I had like a 2003 Subaru Outback I got from family and it was ok but a bad fit for my needs. I didn't do much snow or offroad driving so all wheel drive wasn't a plus, pretty good cargo space. Expensive to repair especially with head gasket issue. Replaced with Honda Fit, over 100k miles so far with zero problems.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

PeterCat posted:

Yes, SimonCat became PeterCat. Nothing gets by you.

"Where he belonged?" He can live wherever he wants, it's just really funny to me that he's complaining about people moving and ruining the neighborhood he grew up in when he didn't stay. He sounds exactly like the old guys I know who complain about Hispanics moving in or black people from Chicago moving in.

He's a comfortable rich man who doesn't like people who aren't like him.

Also, Da Five Bloods was half a good movie. The first half, dealing with black Vietnam vets coming back to Vietnam and dealing with their memories was really interesting. His half-assed remake of the Treasure of the Sierra Madre that made up the second half sucked.

Yeah that's a good take on Da Five Bloods. I really liked Black Klansman so had high hopes, and agreed the first part was interesting and it seemed like the theme was going to be about how the guys were taken advantage of by their country and sent to war against a foe who were also suffering, and learning they now had things in common with their former enemy. Then it fell into the heroes endlessly mowing down Vietnamese guys for gold, so never mind violence is cool and good if you're doing it for money? Plus their actions get the landmine removal guy killed, so I thought it would end with them all dying because of greed and the gold being lost again but nope.

Was way too long almost pushing 3 hours.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Oh good 2020 saw Pence introducing Guardians, as seen on Handmaid’s tale.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

Splitting this one 50/50 between the local food bank and donating to the GA senate campaigns.

It’s your money but wouldn’t recommend donating to the senate races at this point. There’s so much cash pouring in they’ve been buying ads in Tennessee and Florida to try to reach every possible voter. Might be better to donate more to food banks to directly help people, instead of a Nashville tv station.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Not sure how losing 33% of their territory when Scotland leaves and rejoins the EU will help strengthen the UK. Also hoping Northern Ireland ends up in a united Ireland, I still have no idea how they expect an open border to work.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

sharknado slashfic posted:

I kind of figured Trump and Brexit were both long shot Russian plots that they're probably astonished actually succeeded

Really good chance we’d be out of NATO if trump had been re-elected.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

Reminder that we still don't really know poo poo about the motives of the dude who collected a bunch of guns and then shot dozens of people to death in Vegas from a hotel room.

Plus almost nothing has changed law wise so if another bad person felt like doing the same other than needing to buy bump stocks used. And might want to bring the bags up to his room over a few days instead of all at once.

Would it be accurate to say that until he broke the hotel window and barricaded the door, he hadn’t broken any laws?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I know it's a much larger issue than this guy but it's not a good thing to make his name, picture, and details of his methods spread far and wide. If his manifesto or motivations turn up those will be immediately made available for viewing to any interested parties. Not a great message to send to loonies that if they want their fringe thoughts sent to millions of viewers, how exactly to do it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Bored As gently caress posted:

Apparently some awesome dude smacked a racist piece of poo poo trash person with a Twisted Tea can, and now it's a meme.

https://www.newsweek.com/twisted-tea-video-1-million-times-memes-1557664

The video is glorious.

I wondered why people kept putting tea cans in King of the Hill memes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Lol that’s like Exxon Mobil or Raytheon turning on the GOP. Yes please fight the liberal stalwart Walton family that sits on $100 billion and closes stores with a whiff of unionization while holding in store food drives for their own employees.