Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

As Nero Danced posted:

What's left on the natural disaster checklist, volcano?

Click me for 2020 volcano eruptions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

I can't wait to see what the chuds say if he pardons himself.

If he does, it's effectively an admission of guilt, which would mean he broke the law. If he doesn't, he can continue to claim innocence, but open himself to prosecution.

Anything that involves a self pardon only applies at the federal level. State of NY is rumored to be sitting on 60+ indictments and just waiting till 12:01 Jan 20th to file charges.

Trump is either going to jail or will lose everything the banks owns trying to stay out of it.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I think they gave Nixon a blanket one didn't they?

Basically. The language of it was something like any crimes associated with his time as president or some poo poo.

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/eaton/status/1333930318726914052?s=20

That whole hearing was just crazy pants-on-head energy

Was it an actual hearing or another one of those Ramada Inn conference room sessions where they get a bunch of hacks to sit around and say "elections are bad"? Because if its the latter, everyone needs to stop calling them hearings and start calling them group therapy sessions or "meetings".

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I don't even want to try to find the twitter thread, but that was the rumor.

Someone with the credibility to make it sound legit or at least partially legit broke down the various threads. All centered around Trump org, foundation and some of the other entities under Trump's umbrella of bullshit. Most of it related to tax and wire fraud. Basically the state proved he was using dual books and defrauding everyone from the tax man to the banks funding his business failures.

You can google a dozen stories from major news groups and get the same general outline, just not the "pending indictment" part.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Woofer posted:

I’ve always held the belief that the press found out just how powerful the entertainment aspect of news is during the OJ chase and trial, and it’s been exponentially downhill since.

No, but the current formula for today's flavor of yellow journalism is the crowning achievement of Roger Ailes. Who started his quest back in the late 60s/early 70s, resulted in the repeal of the Fairness Doctrine in 87, leading to the birth of Rush and right wing radio which then led to Fox News cable channel.

To be honest, print wise this poo poo largely always existed, the tv and radio was just natural evolution boosted by the Regan administrations intentional efforts to subvert democracy.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

2020 on brand

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Woofer posted:

I always thought libertarian had more in common with anarchists than either of our two major parties.

E: I guess based on the definitions. In 2020 I just see libertarians as republicans who wanna smoke weed, like someone said earlier.

Libertarians are supposed to be sov cits with enough sense to spew their bullshit in soft core language.

In practice they are republicans who want to earn imaginary street cred by saying they aren't part of the two party system.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Midjack posted:

To be fair to her, she could be an absolute piece of poo poo as a person but still got done wrong by Florida here.

This is the most likely option.

DeSantis is a massive poo poo stain who won't hesitate to threaten people or send state agencies after anyone who dares to not tow the party line.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Firefox has random articles it thinks I might want to read when I open a tab, which I mostly don't, but this one about Johnny Depp caught my attention:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/hes-radioactive-inside-johnny-depps-self-made-implosion?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Is he the Hollywood equivalent of Donald Trump where he has a cult of devout followers willing to defend him to the ends of the Earth in spite of the fact he's a piece of poo poo? Not saying Amber is an angel free of blame, but a UK court recently ruled "Yeah, you abused her at least 12 times".

I don't follow entertainment at all, I just remember seeing Amber Heard's claims of abuse met by "NUH-UH JOHNNY WOULDN'T DO THAT, YOU'RE THE ONE WHO DID THE VIOLENCE" on social media, which seems to run counter to the "support women who have been abused, violence against women isn't cool" train (which is the right one to ride).

Sort of.

He is a piece of poo poo who probably abused Herd, but that was a two way street. They both are human garbage, but if I remember it correctly, I think she beat him a few times in a public setting which made the water murky so people were willing to bandwagon him. Once the court ruled against him everyone kinda shut up and backed away.

Yes. And if you weren't aware of him before, he is a massive shitheel who should be removed from congress.

On the other hand his lovely takes and general terribleness leads to this:

So its not all bad.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

That said who was suing who? Also was it in a British court? Like I'm not trying to defend anyone, but English libel laws are the absolute drizzling shits and generally are not a good factor in determining truth...although either England fixed it a few years ago or Australia did (both were/are trash). Remember David Irving actually was able to go to trial there...he lost in the most glorious way ever, but something like that would be tossed in the US before trial itself.

That said if Depp was suing and he lost...in an English court...then that's different. Basically if you can prove you didn't under that system...you pretty much definitely didn't do it.

I don't with any confidence remember the details of everything, but I think it started with a problem in Austrailia where they both got arrested for fighting in public while drunk. Then it spiraled into a divorce in like France or some poo poo, and eventually a defamation suit by Depp in England.

Its a spectacular train wreck.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

I've been operating under the assumption the every comedian is operating on nothing but coke and booze for my whole life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

not caring here posted:

Yo so where do we sign up for the weather underground?

Click me

Edit:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

They often don't mind a body count either.

I mean, I just don't see right wingers or Qnatics or anyone on that side of the fence putting a warning and countdown on a bomb. They often want people hurt, especially city libs.

\/ valid point.

Bunch of trump poo poo stain supporters are handwaving and dismissing it as not dangerous because "bad people don't give warnings", which sounds an awful lot like they think it was one of their own.

Genocide Tendency fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 25, 2020