Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I wanted frigging in the rigging and there has been none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

orange juche posted:

gently caress, Immortan Joe died yesterday.

You mean old Grundtschlick?! I thought he could weasel out of anything!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Flying_Crab posted:

The consequences of someone running a light as a 200lb bicycle/rider at 12mph vs a 4,000 pound vehicle going 30-50mph are not in any way comparable

And yet I have debilitating injuries that result from a series of collisions I received from bike couriers bombing down the street and running me over, so please don't minimize it too much. Now me, I don't drive, much - in fact, I mostly ride public transportation or walk. Yet I've never been hit by a car, but two cyclists have sent me to the hospital as a pedestrian. They hit-and-ran, too - hopped right on their bikes and pedaled off, and I was too injured to get up without assistance. Real fine examples of humanity.

The only guy to actually hit me and then proceed to leap out of his vehicle and try to beat me up with a collapsing steel baton was driving a car, though, so there does seem to be a scale involved.

I think the answer is y'all both of you need to walk more.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 4, 2020

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

but fat bottom tires make the world go round

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

PookBear posted:

drat if only they'd hit you with a truck instead of a bike we wouldn't have to hear you whining

it would have put the "splash" in "splash one", i tell u what

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cugel the Clever posted:

Car-induced sociopathy is treated as so normal

Even cat-induced sociopathy has been studied more!
https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxoplasmosis/biology.html

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
thomb iz hiding X mark for DOGE pls give to doge ty

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Eej posted:

Yes, if you can't prove a tabloid wasn't making poo poo up then you probably really definitely did do it

It's REALLY hard to beat British libel laws. They're designed to protect people like Prince Andrew. The fact that they did not protect Depp in this case is shocking (and telling).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Email compromise also allows for some entertaining/profitable/useful social engineering from the pwned accounts.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
RIP John le Carre, one of my favorite writers. In his memory, please consider reading the beautiful and topical novel Gnomon, which was written by his son, Nick Harkaway - who is another, on his own merits.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33852053-gnomon

quote:

From the widely acclaimed author of The Gone-Away World and Tigerman, comes a virtuosic new novel set in a near-future, high-tech surveillance state, that is equal parts dark comedy, gripping detective story, and mind-bending philosophical puzzle.

In the world of Gnomon, citizens are constantly observed and democracy has reached a pinnacle of ‘transparency.’ Every action is seen, every word is recorded, and the System has access to its citizens’ thoughts and memories–all in the name of providing the safest society in history.

When suspected dissident Diana Hunter dies in government custody, it marks the first time a citizen has been killed during an interrogation. The System doesn’t make mistakes, but something isn’t right about the circumstances surrounding Hunter’s death. Mielikki Neith, a trusted state inspector and a true believer in the System, is assigned to find out what went wrong. Immersing herself in neural recordings of the interrogation, what she finds isn’t Hunter but rather a panorama of characters within Hunter’s psyche: a lovelorn financier in Athens who has a mystical experience with a shark; a brilliant alchemist in ancient Carthage confronting the unexpected outcome of her invention; an expat Ethiopian painter in London designing a controversial new video game, and a sociopathic disembodied intelligence from the distant future.

Embedded in the memories of these impossible lives lies a code which Neith must decipher to find out what Hunter is hiding. In the static between these stories, Neith begins to catch glimpses of the real Diana Hunter–and, alarmingly, of herself. The staggering consequences of what she finds will reverberate throughout the world.

A dazzling, panoramic achievement, and Nick Harkaway’s most brilliant work to date, Gnomon is peerless and profound, captivating and irreverent, as it pierces through strata of reality and consciousness, and illuminates how to set a mind free. It is a truly accomplished novel from a mind possessing a matchless wit infused with a deep humanity.

This is one of my favorite books, and also deeply personally meaningful to me. It's about the dangers of ubiquitous surveillance and state control, but much of what it says also translates remarkably well for someone who lived through a decade plus in an abusive relationship where gaslighting was a major component. It provided a useful metaphor that led to me reconnecting to parts of myself I thought I'd lost forever, and were crucial to recovery. Harkaway is a hell of a writer, in my opinion, and you can see le Carre in his writing.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Stravag posted:

Oh poo poo did i miss the traveller appearing over mars?

Moon's haunted

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

orange juche posted:

it's the reverse Berlin Airlift

if it goes on long enough, you might see Viking aiders come rescuing up and down the coast of England, distributing piles of cod, herring, literature, IKEA furniture and woolly jumpers.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

orange juche posted:

Britain was a mistake

Rue Britannia?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Only after they agree to eat all the Scandinavian delicacies like salmiak and surstromming and film it.

the lager-swilling rugby hooligans get nothing but cubes of ripest hákarl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I feel like a 911 network should have some manner of redundancy outside of one building.

You'd think, right? Part of my job is both assessing the security of, and writing disaster plan documents for, systems like that. All too often, they have single points of failure because they are - as others have noted in the thread - struggling for every bit of funding they can get. Now, that ATT let them go down at all? That is weird to me. The lack of redundancy I mostly put down to the known shortage of fiber backhauls in rural Tennessee.

It is very weird to me that they can't run the whole datacenter, or at least the 911 systems, on their available generators. Like... this is the sort of thing I would ding an organization for real hard on an audit. You're sort of not in compliance if you can't keep the systems up when the power goes out and you can't demonstrate at least some redundancy. It's kind of a big deal.

Maybe some of their generators wouldn't start.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 26, 2020