Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lousy smarch weather

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Won't pass the Senate because the cruelty is the point.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

It was fine when it was only happening to the other guys, but now our faces are getting eaten!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

EBB posted:

mods are asleep post non-current events

on this date in 1804 Napoleon was crowned Emperor of the French

He can still probate you while probated

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Lmao, of all the people who will be a damp towel, Pence is a nothing without Trump, he'll never make it to the primaries.

Pence is like a :geno: singularity.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

gently caress, Immortan Joe died yesterday.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I don't read half of people's posts

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

As in you read every other person's post, or you check out halfway through with an "eh, I'm done"

Depends on how many pages it's been since I've read a thread. Also tend to miss poo poo at the bottom of a 40 post page.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Catholics loving suck, there is a reason there's a lot of ex-catholics, and it's not just the rampant sex abuse.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I was raised catholic, I'm not a catholic lol, I have a slightly difficult time believing in any omnipotent entity that created the earth because they would take a look at how hosed up the earth is and just hit the reset button

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

True but I mean I’m kind of just interested in the actual regulatory reasons. I mean Canada was able to do it quickly and I think we can at least give them the benefit of it’s not Boris Johnson or Donald Trump. Not that I like Justin, but it’s not like the Canadian is infested with sycophants as badly.

https://twitter.com/bymikebaker/status/1337191698179375109?s=21

That highlighted segment is a nice way to say this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c_I841J6_M

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bored As gently caress posted:

We never funded Bin Laden, or Al Qaeda, nor did wr ever give them financial support. This trope / myth needs to die.

We gave the ISI fat stacks of cash, but we were not allowed to control disbursement of said cash, or knew where it went once it passed into Pakistani hands. It is possible that the cash infusion from the US to the ISI to fight the proxy war vs the Soviets gave Bin Laden some scratch, indirectly.

He did not receive CIA training or whatever else the loons on the internet claim, but it is entirely possible that a couple pallets of greenbacks came his way. Plausible deniability, as it were, because the CIA was so terrified of being blamed for another gently caress up that they intentionally weren't paying attention to what the Pakistanis were doing with the cash, and the Soviets were getting their asses beat so back slaps and congratulations all around.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 11, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

APT29/Cozy Bear is at it again.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1338225953567367169

https://twitter.com/Bing_Chris/status/1338228507634176000

Not a whole lot of what was *actually* taken, but it sure doesn't sound good! Some rumors that Office 365's authentication got breached so lots of emails were read.

https://www.fireeye.com/blog/products-and-services/2020/12/fireeye-shares-details-of-recent-cyber-attack-actions-to-protect-community.html

Someone sold the fireeye tools then i guess.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Putin called to congratulate Biden, apparently. That's gotta piss Trump off some more

I mean, trump did exactly what putin wanted, injected massive uncertainty in the electoral process, and has severely undermined his successors presidency before it even gets off the ground, which guarantees a weak Biden presidency, and putin will be free to do whatever he wants for another 4 years. Putin has no further need for trump.

Granted a Biden presidency wasn't going to be strong anyways, but any stance stiffer than kowtowing to dictators is an immovable mountain next to trump.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

On the other hand, hahahaha, eat poo poo rahm

:emptyquote:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I think he may be a jar of mayonnaise, not sure what brand though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

great value

:barf:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

These fuckers are still at it? poo poo

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Woofer posted:

the billionaires who made millions off of PPP liked this post

Cole this is some "we live in a society" poo poo, gently caress off dude.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

No, you posting is loving exhausting dude.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Woofer posted:

I don’t care. Stop letting billionaires rob us blind. that is what’s loving exhausting.

What exactly do you suggest then? instead of coy bullshit edgyposting just throw it in the open dude.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Woofer posted:

I already said that we accept getting railroaded by billionaires and will do nothing but say thank you and poo poo post about it.

But if you really would like to know, I’m taking a class starting in January on organizing social movements. Maybe it will help, maybe it won’t. I previously took a class at this school that had a profound effect on my viewpoints regarding social justice, and I want to mobilize. If you’d like information on the class I’ll be taking, I can get it to you.

What are you doing?

What is your concrete, actionable, solution to fix this, then? edgy posting on a dead comedy forum isn't it.

Woofer posted:

the billionaires who made millions off of PPP liked this post

this is not the answer. IF you have an actual, concrete path forward, instead of sniping at your posting enemies, lets hear it?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cole, just go back to posting in cspam unless you've been ejected from there by the mods and that's the reason you came back here to make posts that throwing the baby out with the bathwater is actually a good thing that should be done.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Godholio posted:

There's an easy fix and it's absolutely worthwhile.

Fine, y'all have fun with him.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

And Donnie might've missed his window on the voter fraud poo poo for a final time. Dominion and Smartmatic are about to drop defamation lawsuits, with serious merit (rare in defamation cases), and the MAGA networks are running because they can't afford the litigation involved.

https://twitter.com/svdate/status/1341096656431923202?s=19

https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/1341078245878472706?s=19

If the lawsuits happen, it wouldn't be that surprising if Fox News came out on top while the others get hosed. Kinda peak 2020.

Has anyone said "Just hook it to my veins!" yet?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Didn't hitler try this?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

sharknado slashfic posted:

there will be nothing happening

Unlikely! Everything happening in December is likely to spill into January! It will just be slightly less unhinged in the US executive branch. The madness will continue until humans either transcend human existence or we kill ourselves off, or both!

Also there's still 30 days in which hair furor can completely derail poo poo, or attempt to.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I'm a couple pages late, but isn't Bellingcat the org that Brown Moses works for, not just the dude himself?

Yeah.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Midjack posted:

lmao the "make streaming copyrighted stuff a felony" thing got added to the covid relief bill. :rip: twitch.

loving lmao, god drat that's ghoulish, I love how they defend it as "it's focused on "commercial, for-profit streaming piracy services" that make money from illegally streaming copyrighted material." and it "wont have any impact on the regular internet user" this is so stupid, I give it a month or 2 after it passes you'll see someone who is a streamer on twitch or something getting charged with a felony for a sound clip because they technically make money by streaming, and if copyrighted material may be involved, well then poo poo I guess its 10 years and a 30,000 dollar fine!

orange juche fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 22, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Midjack posted:

It's supposedly to be used against providers of large scale pirated streams only but we all know how that works.

We all know exactly how that playbook works, DMCA provides everyday proof how it can be misused. How many people can afford to fight a "Protecting Lawful Streaming Act" troll who basically accuses the victim of being guilty of a felony, for a ~15-20 second sound clip?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jarmak posted:

No, it's not, because as I already said, the relevant text doesn't just mirror the existing statute, it explicitly defines itself as being controlled by the existing statute. So, like I already said, if this text applies to streamers, than the existing statute already criminalizes streaming on twitch. In that case this bill still doesn't apply because it's targeting a different aspect of the value stream, twitch itself (the original law would).

This isn't an interpretation of legal text, it applies no matter how you interpret the controlling language, the part of the text being pointed to as making twitch a felony is already in the text of the existing law. The passing of this bill's chilling effect on streamers will be insignificant compared the chilling effect caused by the misinformation being spread about it.

I'm going to quote this motherfucker so that when someone gets pulled up on loving charges in a year for having a copyrighted police siren sample (because sound effects banks are copyrighted), or the Wilhelm scream in a video and goes to jail, I can find it and shoot it back at you.

Never let legislative intent get in the way of an IP lawyer.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jarmak posted:

Post some sources sources or shut up with this "some people say" poo poo.

Here I'll start with the EFF, who's I think is fair to call the leading authority opposing this bill. Of note they actually didn't even bother putting out a press release for the felony streaming bill, they just tacked a throwaway paragraph in their press release opposing the CASE act, which actually does threaten to have a chilling effect on streamers but isn't the subject of twitter hot takes because jurisdiction of copyright adjudication isn't as sexy as bullshit about how streaming on twitch is now a felony.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/12/case-act-hidden-coronavirus-relief-bill-just-beginning-next-copyright-battle

Did you miss the top line of that quoted article? The CASE Act is in that bill along with the felony streaming act. E: I see you mentioned the CASE act, but either way, whether its the felony act or whatever else they cook up, this gives copyright holders and copyright trolls broad leeway to raw dog anyone who doesn't have a really good lawyer on retainer, monitoring for people threatening legal action.

CASE Act, from the same article

Electronic Frontier Foundation posted:

The CASE Act is supposed to be a solution to the complicated problem of online copyright infringement. In reality, it creates a system that will harm everyday users who, unlike the big players, won’t have the time and capacity to negotiate this new bureaucracy. In essence, it creates a new “Copyright Claims Board” in the Copyright Office that will be empowered to adjudicate copyright infringement claims, unless the accused received a notice, recognizes what it means, and opts out—in a very specific manner, within a limited time period. The Board will be staffed by “claims officers,” not judges or juries. You can appeal their rulings, but only on a limited basis, so you may be stuck with whatever amount the “claims board” decides you owe. Large, well-resourced players will not be affected, as they will have the resources to track notices and simply refuse to participate. The rest of us? We’ll be on the hook.

Unless you got some proof it's been stripped out, that literally kills Twitch, Twitter, Youtube, anything that small folks could create content on, because the immediate effect is that instead of a DMCA takedown notice, you get a short period to respond to an organization, or face a large monetary fine. You may not go to jail for CASE Act, but you can certainly be financially ruined for putting the wilhelm scream in a video.

Really there's about 6 different ways Thom Tillis slipped bullshit in that bill, including a DMCA revision that ups the penalty from a naughty note to your ISP who may or may not do anything because they're protected by safe harbor, to telling the ISP "sever this user's Internet connection, permanently, or face stiff penalties".

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 22, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Read the CASE act in its entirety, and it basically says, "If you have someone raise a claim against you, you have 30 days to cease the infringing activity (claimant can still seek damages against you, even if you stop, for already committed activity, up to 30,000 USD), or lawyer up, try to fight it, and if you lose, you have to pay out up to 30,000 USD, on top of legal fees. The person being served has no option to counterclaim or seek dismissal without involving legal counsel. They have to lawyer up and pray that they win their legal case. Good news is if you can drag it out for 3 years without losing your case, it gets dismissed! (you're still paying 3 years of laywer's fees). It's all small claims court though so nobody's going to jail over it, they'll absolutely be financially ruined though.

It's a big wet sloppy blowjob to the people who have back end analytic access to content ID systems and can send out 10,000 claims per day.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 23, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Oh man the urge to comment...and the absolute lack of reason to do so.

Anyway pardon season has started

Trump announces wave of pardons, including Papadopoulos and former lawmakers Hunter and Collins https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/22/politics/trump-pardons/index.html

Why would he pardon papadopadop? I thought he sung like a stool pigeon during the subpoenas for the impeachment?

Ah he probably forgot about that. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I seem to recall Papadopoulos or someone giving up info in exchange for a deal. E: It was Flynn I was thinking of, he got pardoned earlier this year.

E2: He did not sing like a bird, he did however lie to the FBI, repeatedly, even after admitting he was guilty of lying to the FBI. The only thing he did consistently was lie to the FBI it seems.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 23, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

So he's going to try to hold the government hostage over this very bad bill to do what, exactly

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ded posted:

but surely no one would do that!

hmmm i wonder if this could be used against people who use music illegally at rallies and have it ~streamed~ via tv and other sources

You'd have to be the rights holder, but yes actually.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

Ok, I'm starting to like the Orange gently caress. He's just going full potato, and it's fantastic. The perfect ending to the year.

Doesn't accepting a pardon compel you to testify?

Not exactly, but accepting one carries an implicit admission of guilt that could be used as evidence of crimes related to the thing you got pardoned for. Example: if you got brought up on federal and state charges for the same thing but got pardoned of federal charges, then it could be used as a proof that you did it. It's basically waiving your 5th amendment rights not to self-incriminate.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 24, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

So effectively if you get brought to court on matters relating to the pardon you have to either tell the truth or perjure yourself?

You can actually take the 5th and claim that you would expose yourself to prosecution at the state level, however a state prosecutor is liable to go to the US attorneys office and say "hey gimme the deets on that case" so they can investigate to see if they can bring state charges for the same or similar things. This is probably actually happening right now at this moment for most of the folks Trump is pardoning. The federal pardon is not going to be the end of the road for a lot of this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There was mention that NY dropped the Manafort case after the federal conviction due to double jeopardy rules. Does that change with a pardon?

The New York state courts threw out the state case because of New York's strong double jeopardy protections (they were not dismissed with prejudice, though), however New York also has a law that says that accepting a federal pardon removes your double jeopardy immunity at the state level, so the state DA is right now probably rolling up their sleeves and getting ready to super slam him. (this law is how they're planning on nabbing Trump if he pardons himself for financial crimes etc, it's also why NYS has been extremely quiet about unveiling charges against Trump, to potentially prevent the double jeopardy law from kicking in.)

All the state DA will have to do is say "Look! He accepted a pardon! We can reopen the case now!" and the state courts will say "Ok do it".

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 24, 2020