Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/covid19tracking/status/1333931879108661248?s=21

Beyond very high death counts, record level of hospitalization and many states re-entering or surpassing previous waves’ all time bad numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1334132083653029894?s=21

One weird trick to be irritated by vote results! (It’s the other side also voting)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol this fuckin’ sucks

https://twitter.com/thedemocrats/status/1333919056425062400?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Grip it and rip it posted:

idgi? Seems as tepid as can be, what's there to hate?

An eviction notice is a participation trophy.

It’s a way of saying the goal is not for all to thrive, but being a part of the economy is good enough!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

You're reading way too much into this.

Nah, it sucks.

https://mobile.twitter.com/rafaelshimunov/status/1334120757543243778

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ibjiyongi/status/1334307810570620928?s=21

Shots fired.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It’s okay it’s a proud American tradition for bad car drivers to be pissed about bicyclists and whine about someone jumping a curb one time while saying it’s just the cost of business for a child to get run over by a car.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Cars kill shitloads more pedestrians. But here's the trick: Dead pedestrians can't post online about how they are dead, but someone who got yelled at by a bicyclist can.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Also dumbass drivers are just highly normalized. You get cut off by someone driving on a cellphone, it may not even click as unusual, because it's so common. But the time someone driving a car gets stuck behind some bicycles going 18 mph in a 30 zone, oh boy, Americans have a special memory storage space in their brains for that to sit and fester.

Zamujasa posted:

the worst cyclists are the ones who ignore traffic lights and other poo poo. yep just gonna cruise through this intersection without even bothering to look when cross traffic has the green, gonna be a statistic in the morning

Even better is when a motorist loses their mind on a cyclist because the cyclist stopped. Or because the cyclist refuses to break the law and ride on sidewalks (the place where dogs and children walk around). This isn't uncommon. Take how dumb the average driver is, then give them something they see not terribly often (a bicycle), and then watch their head explode when they findout the bicycle is not just entitled to, but required to take a space and stop for stop signs etc when there's not a bike-made alternative.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 3, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

I guess it's been like a year since we had the bikes v cars debate that took up 15 pages so we were due

Yeah, probably. In that time, probably only about 800-900 bicyclists have been killed by motor vehicles and another 6,000-7000 pedestrians killed by motor vehicles.

(and obvs wear a helmet, whether on bicycle or motorbike)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Woofer posted:

Why does Florida have a bicycle helmet law but not a motorcycle helmet law

I don't think that's accurate. Pretty sure it's only required for 16 and younger in FL or in specific localities.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Motorists angry about bicyclists while failing to see car problems are analogous to men whose pet issue is that maybe a woman will lie about DV or assault or something.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Flying_Crab posted:

I'm listening, I'm interested in physics discovery I guess we've made here.

You’re likely to get a very stupid answer that “well actually, the most likely outcome for both is no one gets hit,” because that would be a disingenuous way of technically being correct.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Holy gently caress shut up

No, it’s super important to highlight thousands of dead a guy I saw flip me off.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Woofer posted:

If this conversation was a guy on a bicycle I’d be rooting for the car

Sorry. Motorists outnumber cyclists and kill thousands per year, but in spite of that they’re still too fragile to quietly accept that maybe they aren’t great drivers and that better things are possible. It does get tedious.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

pantslesswithwolves posted:

We can go back and forth trading stories about that time you got stuck behind a bunch of Middle Aged Males in Lycra (MAMIL- this is actually a thing and no one likes them, but even other cyclists or Jesus) or that time some rear end in a top hat on a fixie blew through a stop sign and almost hit someone, but I think we can all agree that a bike vs car collision is much less worse than a car vs bike one.

Every time I’ve nearly been killed by a car, it has been when I’ve been following the law to a T. Now I ride aggressively to increase my own visibility, and therefore, survivability. I blow kisses and give thumbs up to pissed off drivers who were inconvenienced for 10 seconds when I took the lane to pass some rear end in a top hat double parked in the bike lane.

I drive more than I ride, but the bottom line is that it is incredibly easy to be a courteous driver and also to have a general understanding of risk. That won't protect you from the time you gently caress up and just don't see something, but I promise that if a bicyclist jumps a curb or something, they don't also cast a vampiric curse that steals your life source or your wallet.

Motorists kill doggos at insane levels compared to bicyclists, too. Maybe if we had better transportation options less doggos would get killed by commuters and drunked rivers.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jarmak posted:

Don't get me wrong, Motorists are 100x more dangerous and in general complete morons.

If you want to be more accurate, motorists are closer to 35,000+ times more deadly than bicyclists general.

They might be more rude? We don’t keep stats on that because it’s not really important and it’s hard to measure.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Proud Christian Mom posted:

you could try just obeying the rules of the road if you dont want to get squished but whatever

Not really. Motorists kill pedestrians and pets and bicyclists whether those people and pets obey the rules or not.

Maybe focus should be on protecting society from thousands of pounds of metal before saving society from the horror of being flipped off.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah, we should really talk more about pedestrians.

To be completely fair, bicyclists really aren’t the most killed non-motorists. That dubious award goes to pedestrians by a factor of six or so. Motorists should kill fewer pedestrians.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Telling people to just follow the rules is so incredibly short sighted. Obviously not everyone will, transportation infrastructure has to be designed from the ground up to encourage safer decisions. Cities that have embraced this philosophy have seen pedestrian deaths come way down.

Absolutely agreed. What sucks is that discussing such changes is viewed with hostility by a lot of motorists that complain it’s a handout to pedestrians and bicyclists. There are people who cannot view discussion of motorist-caused deaths as anything other than whining and an insult.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
At 6,500 annual pedestrian funerals, just this guy repeatedly showing up

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Woofer posted:

:siren: EVERYONE WANTS YOU TO SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT BIKES AND PEDESTRIANS. IT IS NOT A loving CURRENT EVENT. GO TO THE BIKE THREAD YOU loving MORONS. :siren:

Unfortunate bad news. Current event: pedestrian deaths are on the rise the last several years.

It is literally a current event and public safety problem.

People disregard thousands of fatalities by calling it “bike chat.” hosed up imo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Raerlynn posted:

So is loving dying to cigarette smoking or meth. Not seeing a five page detail championed by someone with a weird rear end hate boner.

Cigarette usage is way down though thanks to a public safety campaign. Meth pretty big problem! But there’s no “shut the gently caress up about meth deaths, no one cares” poster brigade.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Woofer posted:

You’re making people hate you and not give a poo poo about your cause.

This is essentially the same argument used to tell people to be nice to CHUDs because it's too mean to their feelings to talk about how the economy is deeply unfair and racism is a massive problem. It is gentler to people not to talk about racism or public safety or tax reform, but that doesn't mean it's good to just tell people that if they don't like the situation, they need to shut the gently caress up, because change is inconvenient.

https://www.ghsa.org/resources/news...%20only%202%25.

quote:

Pedestrians are projected to account for 17% of all traffic deaths in 2019, compared to 12% in 2009. While pedestrian deaths have been increasing significantly over the past decade, the number of all other traffic deaths has increased by only 2%. A statistical projection of traffic fatalities for the first half of 2019 (conducted by NHTSA) shows an estimated 3.4% reduction in overall traffic fatalities compared to the first half of 2018. Although advancements in motor vehicle safety and technology have increased survivability for vehicle occupants involved in crashes, pedestrians remain just as susceptible to sustaining serious or fatal injuries when struck by a motor vehicle.

Pedestrian death is disproportionately on the rise in recent years. This is something that can be affected often at the local level! People should talk about it with their reps, city councils, etc. They shouldn't back down from reforming civic planning and enforcement just because it might annoy motorists.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Texans are trying to colonize Colorado. Mark my words, any future balkanization will see texans actively trying to claim Colorado as their own.

Here's a neat visualization of birthplaces of people in Colorado over time.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/3775693/?mc_cid=e626b0abf0&mc_eid=9b37dd0a45

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Oh no, I thought car chat was over, but we hadn’t yet seen its final form.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nick Soapdish posted:

Can we stop having 4* as SECDEF, they've done enough for the nation and can just gently caress off to the MIC boards

Beyond Mattis, who was the last SECDEF who attained four stars or more? Marshall?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nick Soapdish posted:

Okay, fair enough, I just don't want any of the GO/FOs in the discussion regardless of they're selected

Yeah, I can understand that.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

lol. I’ve been following COVID news perhaps too much and had never heard of her until the search video. Looking at her twitter, it had a lot of weird ted flags.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/gilbertjasono/status/1335633779575164935?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Last I checked how was the Iraqi and Syrian program going?

I don't mean to sound as ungodly snarky as it comes off as, but with quotes I've seen from arms control experts (ie Jeffery Lewis) they seem to not want to be able to admit that it does delay the program. I understand they have a vested interest in promoting negotiated non proliferation, but I feel like they could be a little more honest about it. Say this will slow it down, but this is bad for these reasons. I mean someone pointed out that after previous Iranian assassinations that Iran stepped up police protection and surveillance of all the scientists...which made their lives living hell (which I can't imagine is good for work).

Okay I've made my peace about it.

Well, here's how the Iraqi program went: The US government said that actually Iraq was building weapons of mass destruction and had to be stopped, and then the US launched a ground invasion and toppled the regime 30 years after the Osiraq strike. So according to the US at the time, the strikes did not ultimately work and only an escalation to full war and occupation would suffice. The US would later acknowledge that this was complete bullshit.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It's also kind of pointless to look at the effect an action had on Syria and then presume to apply that to Iran without looking at things like the overarching strength, population, and reach of influence of Iran. For the past few decades they have possessed a lot more capability to stir poo poo up without going for nukes than the Syrians do or did.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I think you missed the BikePacalypse.

The chickenhawk rodeo is a more grotesque event to watch than even car chat.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
"Israel would never have known that the US supported them if the US didn't support Morocco's violation of cease-fire agreements and referendum agreements and generally disagree with the UN and international courts about the whole situation...

Maybe one day we'll find a way to show Israel that the US supports them, but so far our efforts have been inadequate," says the wise man.

The Moroccan military violently dispersed non-violent protests, was warned this would lead to open hostilities, apparently thought this a bluff, and then started taking significant casualties when the Polisario started up attacks again. It seems doubtful that Morocco would lose significant land holdings, but hit and runs and shelling can still exact some costs in response to Morocco violently repressing nonviolent protests.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

US Berder Patrol posted:

Maybe I'm the only one, but can I get a Trump's PDB style bullet point listing of the key players and so on in Western Sahara? I have no idea why anyone is upset about Western Sahara's independence, because "west africa rebel group" makes me think of boko haram.

Extremely cliff-notesy, so someone correct me if I gently caress this up:

-France and Spain had colonial holdings in Africa, including Morocco and portions of Western Sahara.
-In the 1970s, The Polisario (a leftist organization) and the Western Saharan peoples (Sahrawi) tried to establish independence. The US and other westerners opposed this, because Cold War and any leftist is obviously evil.
-Mauritania gave up its Western Saharan holdings to the Polisario, and then Morocco immediately seized the territory with US and French support.
-By 1991, a cease-fire was established with aid of the UN with understanding that there would be an independence referendum. Morocco has never permitted a referendum to take place. Virtually no countries recognize Morocco's rule over Western Sahara, but France and the US are kind of a big deal.
-Recently, (October), there have been nonviolent Western Saharan protests. Morocco has responded violently.
-The US and France have repeatedly threatened to veto any UNSC action on this topic
-Morocco has been friendly to US/French counter-terror and counter-insurgent actions in Africa
-the Polisario resumed attacks on Moroccan military forces in November-ish of this year as a result of the october crackdowns and general 29 years of zero progress on a referndum
-Algeria has typically supported the Polisario, but their economy is rough as hell right now, so it's not a good time for them to be involved
-The US and France endorse a Moroccan plan for West Saharan "autonomy," which is... uh... not very autonomous.

E for typos

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 10, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Wait til you find out who Time selected in 1992, 2000, 2004, 2008, 2012, and 2016!!!!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/michaelstahlke/status/1337252742843125761?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bored As gently caress posted:

Could we stop stop giving a poo poo about Anwar al Awlaki, who was in Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, who was actively plotting attacks in America, actively working to inspire jihadis in America, who inspired the Fort Hood shooter and communicated with him, and who was AQAP's #3?

Yeah, he was an American citizen. But any capture operation to get him would've been fraught with danger for any SOF who went for him, and he likely would've killed himself before allowing himself to be captured anyway. Even if ee did capture him, any trial would've just been his opportunity to become a symbol and a martyr for potential jihadis to look up to, and the trial would be giving him a megaphone. was actively waging war against the U.S. with a foreign terrorist group. If AQ was a country, Awlaki would've been guilty of treason. Traitors can get hosed.

We have no problem killing American or European citizens who join ISIS. Why are we still giving a poo poo about Awlaki?

I have huge issues with the entire drone program, especially "signature strikes" where they don't even know who exactly they're targeting, but Awlaki was a known traitorous piece of poo poo.

Generally, people have a bigger deal with the CIA drone-striking his minor son.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Eej posted:

The case that Depp lost was a libel case against The Sun, which is one of the big tabloids in England. So it's like suing the National Inquirer for them running a story about you beating your wife and losing.

quote:

Mr Depp, 57, sued the paper after it claimed he assaulted his ex-wife Amber Heard, which he denies. The Sun said the article was accurate.

Judge Mr Justice Nicol said the Sun had proved what was in the article to be "substantially true".

He found 12 of the 14 alleged incidents of domestic violence had occurred.

Uhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

PeterCat posted:

Since Biden is the President Elect is discussing how much he sucks now a CE?

There is a thread for that topic.