Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
No. For me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Someone's on his way out.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Apparently it's still the 80s in her area of Michigan.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

I mean anything can happen but yeah I expect a really satisfying pummeling.

I’m sure they’ll just have to go back to pick him up for doing the same poo poo again tomorrow.

Unfortunately, probably. NY eliminated cash bail for most crimes. The elimination of cash bail for all but the most serious of crimes (pretty much only murder and rape) went way too far. Anything regarding violence should've still had bail conditions, but people can assault someone and get out in a few hours - there are plenty of misdemeanor assaulters walking out scot free. I'm all for eliminating it for petty crimes and drug related stuff, but for violence? gently caress that, keep em all in jail, regardless of their lot in life - rich, poor, whatever. We've had people arrested for DUI twice in one day.

And the fines for violating Covid restrictions need to be way higher. There are venues being charged $10,000 fines when they're making $50,000 off of a single wedding. There needs to be a sliding scale of fines, or else these places are still going to continue to have gatherings that are way too big.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 7, 2020

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Months ago during the height of quarantine I was researching Coronal Mass Ejections like the Carrington event for a novel I might write.

Apparently, there's a lot of debate on whether it would really act like a nuclear EMP, i.e. whether it would take out all electronics, especially cars. I read somewhere that it wouldn't be powerful enough to completely fry cars, but that they might sputter, or shut down, and require you to turn your keys back and turn it back on again.

Anyone here have any clue on that question? What about generators and stuff?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

EBB posted:

remember when barry got the nobel prize for doing nothing

remember when barry murdered american citizens with drones after that

Could we stop stop giving a poo poo about Anwar al Awlaki, who was in Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, who was actively plotting attacks in America, actively working to inspire jihadis in America, who inspired the Fort Hood shooter and communicated with him, and who was AQAP's #3?

Yeah, he was an American citizen. But any capture operation to get him would've been fraught with danger for any SOF who went for him, and he likely would've killed himself before allowing himself to be captured anyway. Even if ee did capture him, any trial would've just been his opportunity to become a symbol and a martyr for potential jihadis to look up to, and the trial would be giving him a megaphone. was actively waging war against the U.S. with a foreign terrorist group. If AQ was a country, Awlaki would've been guilty of treason. Traitors can get hosed.

We have no problem killing American or European citizens who join ISIS. Why are we still giving a poo poo about Awlaki?

I have huge issues with the entire drone program, especially "signature strikes" where they don't even know who exactly they're targeting, but Awlaki was a known traitorous piece of poo poo.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Doc Hawkins posted:

we have to accept that a certain number of nearby people will die when we assassinate the leaders of organizations we funded and armed to commit acts of terrorism in order to assist our economic hegemony, there's simply nothing we can do about it

We never funded Bin Laden, or Al Qaeda, nor did wr ever give them financial support. This trope / myth needs to die.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

Generally, people have a bigger deal with the CIA drone-striking his minor son.

Yeah, I have a problem with that, too. If I remember correctly, that was a second / separate strike.

PeterCat posted:

He was 16 years old you rear end in a top hat.

The father, Anwar al Awlaki, was not 16. You yourself posted the kid's name, dude. Either you were being disingenuous in this post, or you simply forgot the dad's name, or maybe you just skimmed my post.

Raerlynn posted:

Let's make this simple. Every family has a gently caress up. Are you seriously endorsing that everyone who happens to have the bad luck of standing near said gently caress up should consider their lives forfeit, regardless of whether or not they knew of or supported said gently caress up?
Not every family has a violent, actively traitorous "fuckup" who has blood on their hands, though.

And of course their lives aren't forfeit. I'm not endorsing it, and it's horrible when innocents die. That's a huge part of the reason why I have issues with the drone strike program, especially signature strikes. But sometimes you only get one window to take out a bad guy, and I understand the calculus of taking that shot when they have it on a high value target.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 11, 2020

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
I was talking about the terrorist, not the kid, in my post.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Trump now asking how he fires a Senator.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I thought chuds hate them now, for not helping and/or kissing Kyle's rear end.

They do.

It's hilarious.

What A Hell of a Way To Die podcast does a great episode on it.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/7mIuS9GiBEJoKvkN4Qg89Q?si=kLC0TM6FQ2qw-FR74Ntcvw

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

MRC48B posted:

Is this a True Lies reference :negative:

Nah, sheep-dipping has been a term and thing for a long time before True Lies.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

Speaking of Russians sending messages:

https://twitter.com/IlvesToomas/status/1341041742196449283?s=19

They always seem to "fall" out of windows. It's strange!

I know that that's terrible, but I seriously laughed when I read the headline.

Russia is a parody of itself now.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MegaRonTV/status/1341049286382002179?s=19

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

MazelTovCocktail posted:

That reminds me did that Cuomo sexual harassment claim, from a week or so ago, just totally disappear or not even gain any traction?

I don't think it went anywhere, except it might have derailed Cuomo from being any part of the Biden admin.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure the feds monitor significant purchases of precursor ingredients as well. Some dipshit jihadi wannabe was buying up tons of something, I think hydrogen peroxide or something, in Aurora Colorado, and was planning on attacking a bunch of targets including the NYC subway.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/05/03/aurora-terrorist-new-york-city-subway-bomb-plot/

This guy.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Doesn't seem like Islamic though, Islamic extremists rarely if ever give warning.

Yeah for sure, this thing screams RWNJ, Q-based bullshit, or sovcit bullshit.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Yes I remember one thing they develope/refined in Iraq was an amazing ability to ID someone, based on very little to go with.

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1342571619068375040?s=21

Wow. Taking out 911 infrastructure for 180 miles?

Maybe someone's robbing a bank somewhere?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

Its exceedingly rare that those with the intelligence and skills to apply to evil terrorism actually have life circumstances that lead them too it. (Eg any competent college chemistry student.)

If you're that skilled someone will pay you money to profit off others death totally legally.

This isn't necessarily the case for home grown / domestic terrorism. There have been a ton of cases where successful or attempted/would-be jihadis had higher education, or were even doctors. Back when jihadis were the main concern of the federal government (so pretty much grom 9/11/2001 to around perhaps 2016), a ton of work was done to come up with a profile of domestic terrorists. It really couldn't be done, demographically. Anyone, regardless of intelligence or education, could be susceptible to radicalization, or self radicalization given the right circumstances. Look at the Fort Hood shooter, he was a psychiatrist.

It's quite similar to mass shooters, in that it's hard to pin down a definitive profile. Though there are definitely similarities for homegrown jihadis, homegrown right wing terrorists, and mass shooters - often there is an isolation or feeling of isolation from society, and a victim complex where they perceive their community (or themselves) is victimized or under attack.

Edit: re reading your post, I have to agree with you, though perhaps I would say "rare" rather than exceedingly rare.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 26, 2020

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is amazing from Ossoff. Watch to the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSwhGcBxEwg

drat he's good. Hope he wins.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Apparently some awesome dude smacked a racist piece of poo poo trash person with a Twisted Tea can, and now it's a meme.

https://www.newsweek.com/twisted-tea-video-1-million-times-memes-1557664

The video is glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
2021 better be a better loving year than 2020. My mental health has been completely hosed by this year, like so many others.