Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You should play unicorn overlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Whenever I'm not playing Unicorn Overlord, I'm thinking about Unicorn Overlord. Please send help. The help I need is with discharging my other obligations so that I can spend more time playing, obviously

...but is it art?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.gog.com/en/game/alpha_protocol

GOG just surprise-released an updated version of Alpha Protocol for modern systems, first time it's been on storefronts in five years.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Punished Chuck posted:

GOG just surprise-released an updated version of Alpha Protocol for modern systems, first time it's been on storefronts in five years.

thats fuckin sick lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Punished Chuck posted:

awesome

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gog ftw

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Punished Chuck posted:

holy poo poo that rules

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

this and also alpha protocol ftw

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Punished Chuck posted:

I love Alpha Protocol. Alpaca Broccolilol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Punished Chuck posted:

hell yeah

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Punished Chuck posted:

Oh man, this owns! I haven't played Alpha Protocol since release. I remember it being kind of a mess, but in the "unfinished masterpiece" vein of games like KotoR 2.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Arise: finally got fast travel back after being locked out of it for like 6 hours due to Lore

tons of sidequests to do now

This is living.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Drakenhold in corn load started whack with the slow moving desert maps back to back but once you got back to the normal town maps they got killer again. I especially liked the colosseum slaughter level and this final assault on the main castle seems cool, just got to it after opening both fronts of attack.

I feel like I'm missing some overworld stuff tho. Never figured out what the Stone Circles are or the carved statues like Scorpion, Mandrake etc. maybe they're related to mining more treasure maps? I've barely done that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

In Training posted:

Drakenhold in corn load started whack with the slow moving desert maps back to back but once you got back to the normal town maps they got killer again. I especially liked the colosseum slaughter level and this final assault on the main castle seems cool, just got to it after opening both fronts of attack.

I feel like I'm missing some overworld stuff tho. Never figured out what the Stone Circles are or the carved statues like Scorpion, Mandrake etc. maybe they're related to mining more treasure maps? I've barely done that.

A character you get in Elheim unlocks the stone circles for you, the statues are related to side quests that are easy to miss, basically searching a random ruin in each region unlocks a side quest where visiting each of the region's statues in the correct order gives you a treasure.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Word. Is it obvious when you run out of treasure maps for a region. That's what's stopping me from digging up more, I thought maybe they're infinite

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

In Training posted:

Word. Is it obvious when you run out of treasure maps for a region. That's what's stopping me from digging up more, I thought maybe they're infinite

Dunno, I found 3 in one region but only 1 in another, maybe there's more but I stopped caring much about the treasure maps once I realized you get more than enough good gear from other quests that require less busywork

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

there's a finite number in each region

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Every region has 5 treasure maps.

...but is it art?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Mini rant time: Why the gently caress are there so few fast travel points in the last dungeon of Arise, holy gently caress. Like I'm not dying or need healing, it's not difficult, but you give me all these new crafting materials for new weapons and I can't even make the drat things unless I want to walk my rear end all the way back.

Rant over.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Arise is beaten. I know I should play Control like I said I would but I think I'm going to finally start my DQXI replay instead

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Arise is beaten. I know I should play Control like I said I would but I think I'm going to finally start my DQXI replay instead

you'll probably beat it twice before i even get through act 2, lol. once I finish infinite wealth I have to get through final fantasy 7 rebirth and then I think I have to just make dq11 my primary until I finally finish it.

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Control kicks rear end, but DQXI is always worth a revisit

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

you'll probably beat it twice before i even get through act 2, lol. once I finish infinite wealth I have to get through final fantasy 7 rebirth and then I think I have to just make dq11 my primary until I finally finish it.

lol idk about that. I'm averaging a month per RPG which is pretty fast for me nowadays. I forget the hour count in P3R but Arise was around 50 hours. I actually don't know how I beat SMT4 in the middle of that, I must've had a bunch of rainy saturday marathons

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I've owned Fallout NV for more than a decade but I only just found a combination of patches and mods that doesn't constantly crash on me. I finally understand. It's really drat good.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

DQXI is still an absolute joy to play, god drat

Also thank god for the DQ8 overworld music option

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It is heavenly. From minute 1 to hour 135.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

only slightly annoyed that I started my third playthrough of DQXI today

i have so much other stuff I want to beat, but it's too good

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I've been playing it for the first time and it owns. Currently mopping up all the side stuff in act 3.

definitely DQ pilled now, was a final fantasy kid growing up so the only ones I've played are 1, 9, and the first dq monsters. gonna have to dive into the rest after this

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

there's a demo for SaGa releasing tonight. I'm like 50% of the way through unicorn I'm never gonna finish in time for emerald beyond. 2024 is TOO based I need a breather

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

there's a demo for SaGa releasing tonight. I'm like 50% of the way through unicorn I'm never gonna finish in time for emerald beyond. 2024 is TOO based I need a breather

Apparently the demo has a different character on each platform (PS5/PC/Switch)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

I've been playing it for the first time and it owns. Currently mopping up all the side stuff in act 3.

definitely DQ pilled now, was a final fantasy kid growing up so the only ones I've played are 1, 9, and the first dq monsters. gonna have to dive into the rest after this

2 is sort of a low point IMO but it picks up again immediately with 3. enjoy the quest.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

DQ2 (Game Boy version) ftw

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

5 is absolutely incredible and 8 is amazing, top three for me (each separated by a hair) are

5>11>8

6 is fine lol, it's just by-the-numbers generally but not in a bad way, I had a good time with it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

3,4 and 7 are also epic in different ways. Every entry is fun except maybe 6 a little.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
9 was neat with the pseudo-streetpass it had where you could trade dungeon maps. managed to score one that was filled with metal slimes.

turn off signatures

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's hard not to see 6 as a prototype for the masterpiece 7, since its most notable aspects (its extreme bigness and the gradual, unconventional unfolding of its plot and mechanics) were outdone by its successor. But the very things often seen as its weaknesses are actually the reasons why it owns. Neither 6 nor 7 is for one who is hesitant. 3, 5, 8, and 11 are the more approachable crowd-pleasers, which may help you overcome such hesitation if you experience it.

...but is it art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
yeah! hesitant gamers get hosed

ty all. I bought the first 3 DQs on switch when they were on sale once. unfortunately they're hideous but it's fine. I got through dq1 in that style.

Was gonna wait for that hd-2d dq3 remake but it seems to have fallen off the radar

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig