Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBk8wUo6B7c

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

yeah! hesitant gamers get hosed

ty all. I bought the first 3 DQs on switch when they were on sale once. unfortunately they're hideous but it's fine. I got through dq1 in that style.

Was gonna wait for that hd-2d dq3 remake but it seems to have fallen off the radar

Yuji Horii said he was playtesting it very late into the night back in December. i'm looking forward to playing it this year, and also kicking that football Lucy is holding for me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DQ12 is going to blow my nuts into a parallel dimension.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

It's hard not to see 6 as a prototype for the masterpiece 7, since its most notable aspects (its extreme bigness and the gradual, unconventional unfolding of its plot and mechanics) were outdone by its successor. But the very things often seen as its weaknesses are actually the reasons why it owns. Neither 6 nor 7 is for one who is hesitant. 3, 5, 8, and 11 are the more approachable crowd-pleasers, which may help you overcome such hesitation if you experience it.

never thought of 6 that way but that makes sense from what I remember. I forgot both have the same flow to the plot in rudimentary ways but 6 at least has the positive of getting the ball rolling early on imo whereas 7's original release is painfully slow

The 3ds remake is great though

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

6 feels like they wanted to make it big and non linear but didn't actually put in side content to do so it's just a linear game with extra stumbling around.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Enjoying Erik's hosed up NY/euro accent really brings me back

My only criticism is the faster battles means every animation is sped up as well which looks weird af. Going to leave it on normal speed for now since I kinda wanna slow burn this

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Spent my sick day grinding some levels and made it all the way from Cobblestone Tor to the end of the Kingsbarrow and I'm having a blast all over again

For some reason I thought one of my playthroughs I did entirely with great swords for the hero but according to my second save file I think I swapped to boomerangs at some point? Think I'm gonna do great swords for the hero and go dual knives for Erik, that sounds fun

The voice acting in this game is loving god tier, DQ8 had great actors too

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

poo poo, maybe it's time for me to replay DQXI once I finish Infinite Wealth...

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Good soup! posted:

Spent my sick day grinding some levels and made it all the way from Cobblestone Tor to the end of the Kingsbarrow and I'm having a blast all over again

For some reason I thought one of my playthroughs I did entirely with great swords for the hero but according to my second save file I think I swapped to boomerangs at some point? Think I'm gonna do great swords for the hero and go dual knives for Erik, that sounds fun

The voice acting in this game is loving god tier, DQ8 had great actors too

From what I remember you can safely play around with builds once you hit a certain point.You basically just want to stick to 1 build at first for the bonuses and skills in the early game to make things easier

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

drat I had forgotten you can just rebuild at almost any time, what a great feature. I stuck with boomerangs by the end out of pure nostalgia now that I remember but I love just wrecking monsters with two handers and some of these abilities are crazy good (the chopping one that attacks everyone in a line and deals what looks like equal damage lol that rules)

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I can't wait to dual wield falcon blades again :madmax:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Paying2Lurk posted:

Uh, if you choose to take the page back to the Necronomicon in the space station, make a save before you do.

TurnipFritter posted:

SaGa is so back

SaGa hoipe

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hell yes

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I can't wait to dual wield falcon blades again :madmax:

lol that's what I did on my current run. getting to hit all the metal slimes four times ftw

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Are the claws any good? Haven't really hosed with em at all since Rab seems better focused on magic and I like the spear on Jade

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

Are the claws any good? Haven't really hosed with em at all since Rab seems better focused on magic and I like the spear on Jade

They seemed lovely to me since the hp regen effects don't really matter in a game where random encounters are optional and dungeon attrition isn't a thing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Claws also get MP Regen which is nice. I used them on rab on my most recent playthrough and they worked great. Pearly Gates also scales with strength, so good claws juice that damage a lot

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's pretty hard to gently caress up IMO. I went full whips with Sylvando for awhile before switching back to swords, which is obviously not ideal, but it never got in my way. I'm still at the end of Act 1 though, got interrupted by Infinite Wealth.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Putting an enemy to sleep or poisoning them then immediately smackingthem down with Erik's Persecutter, lol god drat

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Gonna spec Serena into spears this time to switch it up, Kiryl style! :D

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

serena in spears owns, especially since she gets metal slime killers. her healing is crazy good by default and wands are just icing

dq11 is the best

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah, the reason to go with wands would be to equip shields, not to make her healing spells imperceptibly stronger.

...but is it art?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'm not grinding at all or really looking for fights outside of logging new monsters in the bestiary, so boss fights are pretty hairy even on normal mode. One of my party members has eaten a crit and died the turn before beating the boss the past like 3 times lol

Two of them was Erik, RIP

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Did they get rid of the crossbow minigame in the definitive edition? I got a crossbow like 9 hours ago and still haven't figured out how to use it

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Did they get rid of the crossbow minigame in the definitive edition? I got a crossbow like 9 hours ago and still haven't figured out how to use it

Yeah. It just aggros monsters at a distance now

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Yeah. It just aggros monsters at a distance now

That's kinda lame tbh. Gave you a reason to look around the environments etc. Not the end of the world but eh

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

That's kinda lame tbh. Gave you a reason to look around the environments etc. Not the end of the world but eh

in the S version on PC/other consoles they kept the downgraded switch character models because they couldn't be bothered to do a simple swap in 20 minutes, square ftw

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Octagonia done. Things are getting easier as I've killed a random metal slime or 2 on my journey + upgrading the forge. I love this game

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Hitting that sweet spot in Act 1 where the OP lineup is MC/Erik/Jade/Sylvando and never looking back. Encountered hella liquid metal slimes in the Phnom Nonh dungeon that boosted the entire squad by like 5 levels. Hustle Dance Sylvando aquired. Fisticuffs Jade hits like a loving truck. Let's go.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

When Jade joins is definitely when things really start to cook. slaughtering metal slimes and leveling up ftw

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Hitting that sweet spot in Act 1 where the OP lineup is MC/Erik/Jade/Sylvando and never looking back. Encountered hella liquid metal slimes in the Phnom Nonh dungeon that boosted the entire squad by like 5 levels. Hustle Dance Sylvando aquired. Fisticuffs Jade hits like a loving truck. Let's go.

Hell yeah. Sylvando ftmfw

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

was looking at my old screenshots and lmao (early Act 2 spoilers)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Fiend Matador posted:

was looking at my old screenshots and lmao (early Act 2 spoilers)

lmao

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Wow I don't remember anything about the start of Act 2. I don't remember fighting with my merry band or anything like that lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Wow I don't remember anything about the start of Act 2. I don't remember fighting with my merry band or anything like that lol

I think the solo adventures between Act 1 and 2 were added in the definitive edition

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

vyelkin posted:

I think the solo adventures between Act 1 and 2 were added in the definitive edition

Yeah as soon as Jade's started I figured this must be it

I'm interested in what was added since I remember recruiting people for the parade, just not fighting with them

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

vyelkin posted:

lol drat I never knew this, I bought it when it first came out on PC but didn't get far and someone ended up gifting me the Switch version shortly after (not knowing I already had it)

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

wtf, does Erik lose his memory in the original game? Maybe these were all cutscenes or told to you after reuniting with your party. idk. I'm just really confused right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's all new content but yeah Erik doesn't have his memory for a good chunk of act 2. Now you see why he loses it