Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think the new stories are just fine. Dont add much really but more dqxi can't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

I think the new stories are just fine. Dont add much really but more dqxi can't hurt.

I don't mind it now that I know I have to do this for all 7 party members

Although for anyone jumping into it for the first time?? Might be jarring. I love the DQ4 style opening where you basically play the first hour of a jrpg back to back w/different characters while learning their personalities/backgrounds before they all meet up and finally become a proper Party

But to do that right after a pretty major story cliffhanger?? IDk.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
I thought it was fun to find your way back with everyone

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i beat sylvando's and havent touched the game for two weeks so i think hes onto something

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Although for anyone jumping into it for the first time?? Might be jarring. I love the DQ4 style opening where you basically play the first hour of a jrpg back to back w/different characters while learning their personalities/backgrounds before they all meet up and finally become a proper Party

one of the stories is so good i can forgive the awkwardness of them happening in the middle of the game

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

mycophobia posted:

one of the stories is so good i can forgive the awkwardness of them happening in the middle of the game

Erik's was the best so far, due to Healijah reminding me of Healie. And also the fact I had just got Divide on him before the end of Act 1. Enemies were a breeze

Compared to Jade's tho.. I could seriously see someone getting hardlocked in Jade's substory. I went into it heavily overleveled, and I still spent several turns healing myself/defending bc the boss kept targeting me relentlessly. I never actually died so idk if the NPCs will revive you or what, but still. It was just frustrating

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VErJMYlmR80

(click Closed Captions)

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

haha. good :)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Erik's was the best so far, due to Healijah reminding me of Healie. And also the fact I had just got Divide on him before the end of Act 1. Enemies were a breeze

Compared to Jade's tho.. I could seriously see someone getting hardlocked in Jade's substory. I went into it heavily overleveled, and I still spent several turns healing myself/defending bc the boss kept targeting me relentlessly. I never actually died so idk if the NPCs will revive you or what, but still. It was just frustrating

IIRC you're just invincible and it doesn't matter. If you die you auto kazing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Unless I'm thinking of a different part.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The intermissions would be better if you did them immediately before (or, for that matter, immediately after) encountering each of your buddies. In the original version, the impact of going directly from the end of Act 1 to the Last Bastion / Heliodor scenario is so drat good, and it's strengthened by not knowing if the rest of the world is even more hosed up or what.

...but is it art?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I never played DQXI before the definitive edition and I did find it a bit jarring at first, but once I got into it I enjoyed getting all these different slices of how the world got messed up by the end of Act I

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

The intermissions would be better if you did them immediately before (or, for that matter, immediately after) encountering each of your buddies. In the original version, the impact of going directly from the end of Act 1 to the Last Bastion / Heliodor scenario is so drat good, and it's strengthened by not knowing if the rest of the world is even more hosed up or what.

yeah I feel like waking up as a fish with no idea what happened to everyone or the world was a lot more effective, and Erik's+Sylvando's stories are the only really enjoyable ones.

giving you infinite auto-revive for jade's story feels like an admission that it was hastily slapped together lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I liked it as a first time player, felt like the filler side stories between big anime arcs, giving you a breather and some hints at things to come before throwing you into the next epic.

I can definitely see how the jarring Hero start would be effective though

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
oh yeah forgot to post my final stats, beat it a lil while ago. this is as psycho as I was willing to get, thankfully brain worms aren't severe enough to 100% accolades or the forge but condolences to those who do

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

oh yeah forgot to post my final stats, beat it a lil while ago. this is as psycho as I was willing to get, thankfully brain worms aren't severe enough to 100% accolades or the forge but condolences to those who do

nice. Congrats

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

If you believe in brain worms they already own you. Bitch.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I believe in figures of speech. Bitch.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

nice.

love that you can easily grind out mini medals in act 3. so much of A3 feels like cheating in the best way

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
getting to "re-do" the first encounter with the king is unbelievably satisfying

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

I've played for 169 hours, won 2706 battles, defeated 6549 monsters, used the forge 447 times, earned 208 accolades and acquired 155 mini medals. So yeah. Your gay.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I've played for 169 hours, won 2706 battles, defeated 6549 monsters, used the forge 447 times, earned 208 accolades and acquired 155 mini medals. So yeah. Your gay.

lol

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

So he did more per hour per you? Guess some folks are just built different. Get clapped and silenced, troll.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Edit: Sorry that was premature. Synthy is actually the better gamer on closer inspection of the screenshot. Get turned around on, Pom oval office.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

couldn't even forge a homosexuality + 3? it's not THAT hard to find the sparkles.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Reunited Sylvando with his dad last night. Game almost got me, man, lmao. It's really sweet. Also his dad is pissed he hasn't become the greatest clown in the world yet like he promised he would be when he returned

Godly game

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

poo poo even just the hero seeing Chalky again in the flashback in cobblestone gets me every time and I've now seen it three or four times

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
It loving gets me every single time Rab gets emotional

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Good soup! posted:

poo poo even just the hero seeing Chalky again in the flashback in cobblestone gets me every time and I've now seen it three or four times

this stuff got me so hard the first time i played

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DQ is so good at the emotional gut punches and such in general, when 5 comes full circle with the "Everything is going to be ok." from the start of the game is amazing. you know what the twist is going to be, you can see it coming, but when it finally happens, jesus christ

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

grieving for Gandalf posted:

this stuff got me so hard the first time i played

:dogstare:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Good soup! posted:

Arrhythmia posted:

It loving gets me every single time Rab gets emotional

and these

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

jfc lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

lmfao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)