Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Justin Tyme posted:

Hypothetically, would it be possible to train a gtp-3 bot to work 24/7 on a simple MTurk task as a source of passive income (even if it's a pittance)?

I don't want to say it's impossible, but it would be very difficult. Most of the non-trivial tasks include a CAPTCHA and/or other ways to trip bots, like bot-screener questions you can't advance past unless you answer them correctly. Those are usually something dumb like "click which one of these 10 items is something soft" or "type this short phrase backwards, in uppercase letters" which are easy for a human but very hard for a bot to clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

I'm on MTurk right now. I just got paid one whole American dollar for taking 5 minutes to tell a researcher that I think covid is horrible and that our country sucks a bag of dirty dongs. :911:

Get on my level

Edit: That's like getting paid $12/hour (pretax) to shitpost

snake and bake has issued a correction as of 17:50 on Dec 2, 2020

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
For those of you who are physically able and don't mind work I'd suggest getting a job at USPS.

Getting through the door involves working as a contract employee for a period of time (roughly 18 months) but you're union represented straight off and have decent pay and benefits from the start. After you're hired as a full-time employee the insurance benefits get better and they have a guaranteed benefit pension and an IRA matching program alongside fairly generous vacation and sick time.

It's not an easy job and a lot of people end up with back, shoulder, and knee issues later in their career, but it's an old-school blue-collar job and with overtime it's common for carriers to pull down six figures a year.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

snake and bake posted:

Edit: I see at least one dude cruising around in his truck on large trash pickup days, scooping up old metal appliances and poo poo to scrap. I always thought that was pretty resourceful

Some guy did the same around here with wooden pallets - I think you can turn those in and get $5.00/each or something like that

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

snake and bake posted:

I don't want to say it's impossible, but it would be very difficult. Most of the non-trivial tasks include a CAPTCHA and/or other ways to trip bots, like bot-screener questions you can't advance past unless you answer them correctly. Those are usually something dumb like "click which one of these 10 items is something soft" or "type this short phrase backwards, in uppercase letters" which are easy for a human but very hard for a bot to clear

What about the trivial ones? Like what is the task and what is the pay? Never looked into MTurk so I don't know what it entails

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Ok, so a little more about MTurk then.

If you are not using MTurk suite, no extensions, just the bare MTurk default site, this is what it looks like when you pull up the available tasks.

Mind you, I sorted this view by most to least HITs available per task, so you're seeing the bottom of the barrel.

These are the ones you're mostly going to see at first as a new Turker, and probably the ones you want to target if you're going to bot.

If it's tinted, it means I don't have the qualification needed for that task. You can click on 'Qualify' to see what qualification they want, and sometimes you can apply for it. Sometimes all you have to do is click the request button and it auto-approves you.

With the MTurk Suite extension, the default page looks like this:

It adds some cool stuff like color coded ratings. Except if you use MTurk Suite, you won't actually be viewing this page. Instead you will log into MTurk, but open the Suite's Hit Finder tab, which looks like this

That's my actual Hit Finder view that I use, with "highest pay" sorted to the top and a bunch of crap filtered out already. It auto-refreshes, and if you run the Hit Catcher tab alongside it, it will automatically grab any HITs you tried to accept but missed if they come up again. Even good tasks may be accepted and returned multiple times because the previous Turkers didn't pass the screener, couldn't do what was asked (like audio recording or something) or just decided "gently caress this"

Ok so that's cool, but now let's look at some actual tasks. Going back to the bottom of the barrel, let's check out that lovely one that was offering 15,000+ penny hits for "market research surveys". I can preview it:

Uh oh, this one has 94 red flags, that's not good. Let's click and see.

lol ok, so we add that requester to our blocked list and move on. Here's a fella that wants 3,297 pictures of peppers annotated for two pennies each. Image annotation is a common task but typically very low paying

Hmm ok, no bad reviews but no good ones either. The problems I have with this one are (a) the pay is too low and (b) the stingy bastard only gives you 5 minutes to complete the task, which irritates me because I sometimes queue up a whole bunch of hits and then work em in batches, so I hate short timers

Here's one that seems like a good candidate for botting. One question, only three possible answers (Y/N/NA), searchable database.

Can it be botted? Can any of these? I don't know. Is it worth the hassle of setting up for the pennies? Probably not.

The main problem I see is the endless variation between these HITs. They're not at all uniform in design. Some are embedded, like that pepper annotation, but a lot of them will open a new tab and send you elsewhere entirely (like a Positly survey page or something), and you just come back to hit submit on the task page when you're done. If you try to design something specific for a certain batch of HITs, they'll probably be long gone before you're done.

These are Human Intelligence Tasks, after all. They exist only because it is cheaper, more accurate, or necessary to have humans do these tasks instead of bots. :shrug:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

applied, now waiting to hear back in about three business days, it says

looks like I installed the suite properly because that is what I see :toot:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
learn to cut down trees, they are everywhere

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

snake and bake posted:

Internet Busking and Begging

I'm really really good at playing the recorder and will do it for money anytime anyone asks

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

20 Blunts posted:

learn to cut down trees, they are everywhere

oh nice tip, this is true (although ethically I could not personally do this, as I would rather cut down humans than trees)

I have a related supplemental tip from a friend who was a tree trimmer guy

One of his co-workers decided one day that work is for suckers, and he had had enough. So the dude intentionally fell out of a tree and got himself on disability

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

that USPS tip is amazing

government jobs are cool and good, would totally do some real life death stranding if I was in the usa

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

For those of you who are physically able and don't mind work I'd suggest getting a job at USPS.

Getting through the door involves working as a contract employee for a period of time (roughly 18 months) but you're union represented straight off and have decent pay and benefits from the start. After you're hired as a full-time employee the insurance benefits get better and they have a guaranteed benefit pension and an IRA matching program alongside fairly generous vacation and sick time.

It's not an easy job and a lot of people end up with back, shoulder, and knee issues later in their career, but it's an old-school blue-collar job and with overtime it's common for carriers to pull down six figures a year.

Adding USPS to the list. Good suggestion.

Also adding UPS because they're union at least.

:siren:Those of you who are considering jobs that involve being indoors and/or interacting with other people might want to check this informative post in the covid thread regarding respirators:siren:

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Become a Degenerate Gambler
Snuffle for the crumbs that fall at the feet of our tyrants. It is possible to begin with a very small investment and trade your way up to a fortune, but it is highly risky and stressful. Consider learning about options trading. Also, Robinhood has some kind of newfangled fractional shares so that even poors can buy $AMZN or $TSLA

https://i.imgur.com/BpwSkEA.mp4

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

snake and bake posted:

Become a Degenerate Gambler
Snuffle for the crumbs that fall at the feet of our tyrants. It is possible to begin with a very small investment and trade your way up to a fortune, but it is highly risky and stressful. Consider learning about options trading. Also, Robinhood has some kind of newfangled fractional shares so that even poors can buy $AMZN or $TSLA

https://i.imgur.com/BpwSkEA.mp4

Absolutely do not use Robinhood

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This whole thread is unspeakably depressing. Trade away everything you are, one crumb at a time. Here's how!

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

Absolutely do not use Robinhood

Heed these words

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Crane Fist posted:

This whole thread is unspeakably depressing. Trade away everything you are, one crumb at a time. Here's how!

:capitalism:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
one job you can do is plumber, another is computer programmer.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

To be fair though, a huge amount of the OP consists of reasonably legitimate quick money ideas intended for people who have no employment and are feeling desperate. That is, sadly, a situation pretty much anyone can tumble into, through no fault of their own, especially right now.

In the US especially there are very few safety nets. Even if you can snag one, it's usually not a quick or simple process. You might wait weeks or months to find out IF you qualify for anything like unemployment. It can be hard to think clearly, to look for solutions, when the wolves are already howling at the loving door.

I wanted to show that there are tons of money-making options available out there, maybe some you've forgotten or never heard of, even if they really suck rear end and you don't want to be doing most of them longer than you need to.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

snake and bake posted:

Ok, so a little more about MTurk then.

If you are not using MTurk suite, no extensions, just the bare MTurk default site, this is what it looks like when you pull up the available tasks.

Mind you, I sorted this view by most to least HITs available per task, so you're seeing the bottom of the barrel.

These are the ones you're mostly going to see at first as a new Turker, and probably the ones you want to target if you're going to bot.

If it's tinted, it means I don't have the qualification needed for that task. You can click on 'Qualify' to see what qualification they want, and sometimes you can apply for it. Sometimes all you have to do is click the request button and it auto-approves you.

With the MTurk Suite extension, the default page looks like this:

It adds some cool stuff like color coded ratings. Except if you use MTurk Suite, you won't actually be viewing this page. Instead you will log into MTurk, but open the Suite's Hit Finder tab, which looks like this

That's my actual Hit Finder view that I use, with "highest pay" sorted to the top and a bunch of crap filtered out already. It auto-refreshes, and if you run the Hit Catcher tab alongside it, it will automatically grab any HITs you tried to accept but missed if they come up again. Even good tasks may be accepted and returned multiple times because the previous Turkers didn't pass the screener, couldn't do what was asked (like audio recording or something) or just decided "gently caress this"

Ok so that's cool, but now let's look at some actual tasks. Going back to the bottom of the barrel, let's check out that lovely one that was offering 15,000+ penny hits for "market research surveys". I can preview it:

Uh oh, this one has 94 red flags, that's not good. Let's click and see.

lol ok, so we add that requester to our blocked list and move on. Here's a fella that wants 3,297 pictures of peppers annotated for two pennies each. Image annotation is a common task but typically very low paying

Hmm ok, no bad reviews but no good ones either. The problems I have with this one are (a) the pay is too low and (b) the stingy bastard only gives you 5 minutes to complete the task, which irritates me because I sometimes queue up a whole bunch of hits and then work em in batches, so I hate short timers

Here's one that seems like a good candidate for botting. One question, only three possible answers (Y/N/NA), searchable database.

Can it be botted? Can any of these? I don't know. Is it worth the hassle of setting up for the pennies? Probably not.

The main problem I see is the endless variation between these HITs. They're not at all uniform in design. Some are embedded, like that pepper annotation, but a lot of them will open a new tab and send you elsewhere entirely (like a Positly survey page or something), and you just come back to hit submit on the task page when you're done. If you try to design something specific for a certain batch of HITs, they'll probably be long gone before you're done.

These are Human Intelligence Tasks, after all. They exist only because it is cheaper, more accurate, or necessary to have humans do these tasks instead of bots. :shrug:

Thanks for the writeup, I have always heard about mturk but never really thought much about it. Doesn't look like it's worth the hassle trying to bot since it's be nearly as much setup as it would be to just do the tasks, though after seeing the kind of stuff GPT-3 can do with very little context it does beg the question how long something like mturk can last before it gets too difficult to combat bots.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Gonna comment on two of these because I've had some direct experience.

snake and bake posted:

Adding another one to the freelance jobs list:

LionBridge: Some kind of weird dystopian future hellshit. Training AI, content testing, etc.

This isn't actually freelance work. If you're in the US, LB will hire you as a W-2 employee. I did this for a long time, even though I was making pretty good money at the time with my "real" job. It's typically a reliable $1000-1200/month. It's about as miserable as it sounds, but if you get reasonably good at it then you can pretty easily do the work while watching movies, playing games, listening to podcasts, or whatever. Since my regular work is/was remote, I used to do LB stuff while also doing other work. I think I'm still technically employed by them and I'd probably keep doing it if I had time, because it's an easy $12k/year.

edit- To be clear, what makes this slightly less awful than something like MTurk is that it's technically not piece work. They'll pay you by your time, so as long as you can hit their metrics (which is super easy to do at a leisurely pace even while doing other stuff, or at least it was a year or so ago), you'll get the $13/hour or whatever they pay now.

quote:

Flexjobs: This is, amazingly, a paid subscription remote job search. Is it worth it? I have no idea, but I find the very concept of it delightfully bold

Unless something has changed, Flexjobs is absolutely not worth the subscription. The only real value they add is that they supposedly vet jobs, but it's really easy to spot most WFH scams. Other than that, you're better off just searching for remote work directly on Indeed or Monster or whatever the gently caress you kids use these days.

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 02:41 on Dec 3, 2020

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

i say swears online posted:

yeah if you're thinking food service, they pretty much want you to show up 2-4pm. it's possible you do the full interview right then

this also works for hotels reasonably often, or at least all the ones I've worked in. 11am-4pm is broadly a decent range. applications can go in the general manager's e-mail inbox, responses may or may not follow from that, but turning up in person dressed reasonably nicely (no need to go overboard with ties or etc, it's not a bank) and being a reasonably coherent non-psychopath can be a major woah factor because, if the hotel is decent, what the people at the front desk make of you is like 1/3rd of the battle. I got hired same day for my current job because after a quick e-mail to confirm they were looking I turned up out of nowhere after a 1000km drive and hey, turns out they had a person quitting in a few days, needed someone yesterday, and I seemed nice. it's one of the few places where the boomer thing about going in and shaking the boss's hand still applies since ultimately they want people who are decently personable.

(don't actually shake someone's hand right now obv.)

of course the hotel business particularly sucks big pig balls at the moment BUT that doesn't mean you can't get a job at one since turnover is incessant at the best of times, and it's probably better than being some kind of gig economy serf. pay's crap, hours can be crap, there's cataclysmic poop disasters here and there, but odds are it'll be pretty chill and you'll have a lot of downtime on the clock to look for a better job.

doing it for a while will make you Professionally Nice though which you may consider a hazard :v:

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Gonna comment on two of these because I've had some direct experience.

This isn't actually freelance work. If you're in the US, LB will hire you as a W-2 employee. I did this for a long time, even though I was making pretty good money at the time with my "real" job. It's typically a reliable $1000-1200/month. It's about as miserable as it sounds, but if you get reasonably good at it then you can pretty easily do the work while watching movies, playing games, listening to podcasts, or whatever. Since my regular work is/was remote, I used to do LB stuff while also doing other work. I think I'm still technically employed by them and I'd probably keep doing it if I had time, because it's an easy $12k/year.

edit- To be clear, what makes this slightly less awful than something like MTurk is that it's technically not piece work. They'll pay you by your time, so as long as you can hit their metrics (which is super easy to do at a leisurely pace even while doing other stuff, or at least it was a year or so ago), you'll get the $13/hour or whatever they pay now.

Unless something has changed, Flexjobs is absolutely not worth the subscription. The only real value they add is that they supposedly vet jobs, but it's really easy to spot most WFH scams. Other than that, you're better off just searching for remote work directly on Indeed or Monster or whatever the gently caress you kids use these days.

Thanks for the insight

I've actually been trying to find out more about LionBridge because I'm curious about it. I registered an account, but for some reason I'm not getting the validation email. I've tried getting it resent several times over the last few days, but it never comes through. I checked all my folders, searched for it, nothing :shrug: I guess I'll try another email address

And I figured that was the case with Flexjobs but I must say I was impressed by the sheer gall of a company that attempts to charge unemployed people for something they can find elsewhere, easily, for free

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pretty rad dad pad posted:

doing it for a while will make you Professionally Nice though which you may consider a hazard :v:

i'm drinking a fourloko at my hotel front desk job right this instant

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

snake and bake posted:

I've actually been trying to find out more about LionBridge because I'm curious about it. I registered an account, but for some reason I'm not getting the validation email. I've tried getting it resent several times over the last few days, but it never comes through. I checked all my folders, searched for it, nothing :shrug: I guess I'll try another email address

That does sound weird. For what it's worth, unless something has changed, their hiring process is slow. The rater positions require you to submit a resume and fill out an application, and then you'll need to take a test. There can be a long wait between each step. The training materials for some of the roles are also very long (100+ page PDFs) and they tend to aggressively dump people who don't catch on to how to do the work. I've read about people getting fired after submitting like an hour of work, but I did it for years and never had a problem so I don't know.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

i say swears online posted:

i'm drinking a fourloko at my hotel front desk job right this instant

Good lord, fourlokos still exist? And you're drinking one at work? :eyepop: I salute your bold choice

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Thank you for the informative thread OP

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

well, applied for this too since that's more than what I made last year :shepface:

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Drive a busted rear end pickup through alleys and grab the metal poo poo people leave out for haulers. Get a lovely business card for your hauling company and tape it to the fences of people with tons of poo poo in their alley or by their garage.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

I've been on the hunt for stuff like that because it seems like it is a real godsend for people overseas. Are there any other companies/platforms like that?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im not sure what it says about the OP that half of the stuff in this thread is more exhausting and arguably more degrading than just working a service sector job but jesus dude.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i would rather work at taco bell than any of the links provided for click income

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

- join Giuliani's legal team

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I've been on the hunt for stuff like that because it seems like it is a real godsend for people overseas. Are there any other companies/platforms like that?

Not sure, but be extremely careful with LB if you're not in the US. My understanding is that their non-US workers are treated as contractors and they love to gently caress them over in a variety of exciting and terrible ways.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I want to hear more grifts and less jobs tbh

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Here's a good grift: if you see a truck with a gadsden flag sticker, you can break into it and take the guns inside and sell them for good money

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crusty Nutsack posted:

You aren't scamming some company by being a lovely, barely paid legally-not-even-a-worker, lol. You're doing fake work and being underpaid and undervalued even for that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A cool grift is to work on your lunch breaks, because it makes the boss happy -- signed a really smart communist

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'll take barely over none, since the options are nil and not a drat thing right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Till we come to some beginning within our own power...

dead gay comedy forums posted:

that USPS tip is amazing

government jobs are cool and good, would totally do some real life death stranding if I was in the usa

Government jobs are indeed cool and good. I’m Australia based so the advice may be of limited value in the States, but it seems that State and Municipal government jobs (and even a lot of the lower level federal jobs tend to be ignored by people who would be great hires for them.

I used to run a side gig doing career and interview coaching, and have picked it up again for free lately for friends and friends of friends who have lost their jobs due to Covid. A whole lot of government jobs at all levels are out there and a large chunk of them basically only require that you’ve graduated high school in terms of qualification level. But there seems to be some sort of pervasive, society wide, stigma about even thinking of working for the government.

Entry level government call centres and other similar jobs may be boring as poo poo office work (I can attest, working in an information call centre for the Australian equivalent of the IRS put me through uni) but they can be a very decent path to a steady pay check, and smaller state and municipal government agencies seem to be constantly overlooked by applicants. I’ve certainly seen people have much better luck with applications when they turn their attention to those sort of applications.