Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Larry Parrish posted:

im not sure what it says about the OP that half of the stuff in this thread is more exhausting and arguably more degrading than just working a service sector job but jesus dude.

This started as a "remote jobs only" list (because lol if you think I'm working a loving service sector job during a pandemic) but kind of sprawled out from that into a general "how to get money, even if you are desperate enough to risk getting covid for it"

I didn't expect anyone would come kramering in here to tell me to go get a minimum wage job at Yum! Corporation. Did you get lost on your way to D&D?

Larry Parrish posted:

A cool grift is to work on your lunch breaks, because it makes the boss happy -- signed a really smart communist

gently caress off

snake and bake has issued a correction as of 15:49 on Dec 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

Not sure, but be extremely careful with LB if you're not in the US. My understanding is that their non-US workers are treated as contractors and they love to gently caress them over in a variety of exciting and terrible ways.

Good to know, thanks. They had a few openings requiring people with fluency in English and Portuguese which looked very much like the work you were putting in, so let's see how that goes

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

I normally have a high tolerance for trolls, but trolling a thread aimed at helping desperate unemployed people during a global economic crisis is pretty loving low imo

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Greetings, I'm foreign, so apologies in advance for any unintended vulgarity. I have recently been watching Orange is the New Black due to it being added to Netflix where I live, which is a show that is based on a real book. A person in this successfully tricks several others into thinking that they have a gun by making a gun with their fingers and putting it in their pocket, which costs nothing to do, and make it looks from the outside as if they have a gun. You could even secure a getaway vehicle with your finger gun, making for a zero money investment and a potentially big payout.

edit: included a link as a resource: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_gun

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

snake and bake posted:

oh nice tip, this is true (although ethically I could not personally do this, as I would rather cut down humans than trees)

I have a related supplemental tip from a friend who was a tree trimmer guy

One of his co-workers decided one day that work is for suckers, and he had had enough. So the dude intentionally fell out of a tree and got himself on disability

im sorry for the joke about "Trees being everywhere" - I was more talking about residential/urban tree work where you are pruning healthy trees and usually removing trees that are dying/hazardous.

i just know that despite the economy sucking, tree work outfits are usually looking for help and pay really well. and sometimes they don't really advertise it. of course there are your typical dipshit small business owners a-plenty....but most climbers are pretty cool dudes and its less conservative, culturally than a lot of workin' man industries. but YMMV big-time on that.

Padams
Jun 30, 2000

I Have the Power

to turn your property's lights off

20 Blunts posted:

im sorry for the joke about "Trees being everywhere" - I was more talking about residential/urban tree work where you are pruning healthy trees and usually removing trees that are dying/hazardous.

i just know that despite the economy sucking, tree work outfits are usually looking for help and pay really well. and sometimes they don't really advertise it. of course there are your typical dipshit small business owners a-plenty....but most climbers are pretty cool dudes and its less conservative, culturally than a lot of workin' man industries. but YMMV big-time on that.

Another good thing about tree work is that with climate change, there are more and more storms causing more trees to fall on people’s houses, utility lines etc, ensuring that there will always be a demand for tree services.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

20 Blunts posted:

Nah don't be sorry, I knew what you meant. I was being kind of facetious, although I really do struggle to even prune a tomato plant because it feels cruel, lol. But yeah, that kind of work can be beneficial. It's not all just straight up tree murder.

I can't remember who it was off the top of my head now, but there's a goon around here somewhere who did work clearing dead growth out of forests, to reduce the risk of wildfires. I thought that sounded like an interesting job.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Grandmother of Five posted:

Greetings, I'm foreign, so apologies in advance for any unintended vulgarity. I have recently been watching Orange is the New Black due to it being added to Netflix where I live, which is a show that is based on a real book. A person in this successfully tricks several others into thinking that they have a gun by making a gun with their fingers and putting it in their pocket, which costs nothing to do, and make it looks from the outside as if they have a gun. You could even secure a getaway vehicle with your finger gun, making for a zero money investment and a potentially big payout.

lol

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Christ this thread is depressing.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

20 Blunts posted:

God I want to live where you do, it pays peanuts around here

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Grandmother of Five posted:

This is true, but riskier than you may imagine as a foreigner. American cops are bloodthirsty and eager to kill. Many of our citizens carry real guns as well. I do. A pretend gun is a poor match for a real one.

If you're looking to steal, be smart about it. Do it the American way. Arm yourself with a briefcase and a business or poli sci degree.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
hey op did you suggest people go around their neighborhood offering to mow lawns or shovel snow?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

snake and bake posted:

This is true, but riskier than you may imagine as a foreigner. American cops are bloodthirsty and eager to kill. Many of our citizens carry real guns as well. I do. A pretend gun is a poor match for a real one.

If you're looking to steal, be smart about it. Do it the American way. Arm yourself with a briefcase and a business or poli sci degree.

Education isn't always the best way to a career! I spent 70 grand on an MBA and work for twelve bucks an hour. When the director cancelled the job placement events and hiring fairs my final semester, she told me I should have networked more. I want to grow up to be a terrorist now

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Someone mentioned scrapping earlier and I just want to clarify for anyone with a pickup truck and no job that you should absolutely not extend residential scrapping to commercial/construction. Most of these open tops are part of a recycling agreement so you are actually stealing (this is cool). Construction sites and daytime retail will call the cops on you (this is not cool); overnight retail managers will probably not since gently caress corporate, but still a gamble you should probably not take if you have better options.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Crane Fist posted:

God I want to live where you do, it pays peanuts around here

yeah the further you get away from wealthy suburbs the more its gonna suck, i kinda forgot that one little detail

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Darkman Fanpage posted:

hey op did you suggest people go around their neighborhood offering to mow lawns or shovel snow?

Idk if this is supposed to be a troll but I mentioned looking or advertising on local platforms for work like that, yeah.

Literally knocking on your neighbor's doors might normally be a decent tactic, and maybe still is, depending on where you live, but I'm not sure how receptive people are to that right now.

I'm trying to keep in mind that this is not the covid thread and not everyone lives in the heart of the plaguelands, where nothing is locked down and most people aren't even wearing masks. But I do, and that's going to color my posts.

I've had probably half a dozen people come to my door in the last few months offering to do my yard or trim my lovely palm trees or whatever. I can't blame them for trying, but I can't afford that and I'm not answering the door for anyone during a pandemic anyway, sorry :shrug:

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

i say swears online posted:

Education isn't always the best way to a career! I spent 70 grand on an MBA and work for twelve bucks an hour. When the director cancelled the job placement events and hiring fairs my final semester, she told me I should have networked more. I want to grow up to be a terrorist now

Ugh, that sucks dude. U.S. tuition costs are loving criminal, and don't get me started on how twisted and predatory student debt is. I don't even have any student debt (I used a union program + gov grant to pay for my lovely AA) but just thinking about how slimy and unethical it is to prey on college students like that makes me want to scream eternally

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

It was my understanding that student debt is treated differently than other forms of debt and can't be discharged through bankruptcy. Went to verify that and it looks like just a few months ago, a U.S. appeals court allowed someone to discharge $200k in private student debt, so I guess it is theoretically possible

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my debt is public but on the plus side i'll never make enough money for payments to kick in

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

you know you've finally broken into the big wigs as a millennial when your income-based repayments are no longer 0 dollars

do not pay for school unless you can get nepotism'd once you graduate. it is a trap

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Which website is the best for jobs? I’ve been looking for a job for a while now, and I’m starting to assume that most job search websites aren’t incentivized to actually be good at getting people employed.

Companies just spam and don’t hire. At least you’d have to pay for newspaper placements, and therefore they’d try to actually find employees.

PawParole has issued a correction as of 22:18 on Dec 3, 2020

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

PawParole posted:

Which website is the best for jobs? I’ve been looking for a job for a while now, and I’m starting to assume that most job search websites aren’t incentivized to actually be good at getting people employed.

Companies just spam and don’t hire. At least you’d have to pay for newspaper placements, and therefore they’d try to actually find employees.

I've had a lot of luck on Indeed in the past and they do have to pay to list on there, so there is a bit of incentive for them to hire

soup to nuts that your state also has a jobs listing portal via its department of labor (or employment services) and that can be a place to check, though it can be completely crowded out by FAANG or other Fortune 500s since it's free to post to those boards

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PawParole posted:

Indeed, LinkedIn, Monster and Glassdoor are what I typically use and most companies will post between all four. Outside of Linkedin, the entire business model for those sites is getting companies people that they want. Not the other way around. Obviously they can get more job seekers on the site by making it easier for them, but more of their revenue comes from companies on the site who are looking for people to hire including methods to downselect people that aren't qualified or not as good as other applicants.

Companies definitely do hire, it's just sometimes listings are made to fulfill EEO responsibilities before they make an internal hire, but not all postings are that way. If you're having trouble getting hired there's lots of reasons as to why and a lot of it is just the company picking someone else instead of you.

The US government also has their own job portal for jobs with them as do state and local governments. Sometimes those jobs appear on other boards, but a lot don't. Just something to consider.

Xelkelvos has issued a correction as of 00:13 on Dec 4, 2020

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

snake and bake posted:

I normally have a high tolerance for trolls, but trolling a thread aimed at helping desperate unemployed people during a global economic crisis is pretty loving low imo

this thread is the troll my dude. anybody who needs the money to pay rent isnt going to make enough from this online bullshit, and even mentioning it as an option strikes me as predatory but whatever. it's like the online equivalent of telling people to go pick strawberries under the table.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

this thread is the troll my dude. anybody who needs the money to pay rent isnt going to make enough from this online bullshit, and even mentioning it as an option strikes me as predatory but whatever. it's like the online equivalent of telling people to go pick strawberries under the table.

this is how I felt reading it at first, and coming up, I'm sure to tell whether or not this is even worth the time and the effort

to the OP: are you out of work? waiting on more hours to come up? or is this something you just do on the side.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

lol I know two people who are unemployable who manage to scrape by with their living condition by doing odd poo poo like in the OP. I also know several people who have a single part time job and make up the hours by doing random gig work. In fact, when I used to work retail it was extremely common, and that was in between financial crises and not during a pandemic.

You can't live solely on this but some times being able to turn your time into any amount of money, even a couple bucks, is valuable. it shouldn't surprise anyone that the devaluing of labor means eventually you can't even sell yours for market value if you're trying

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

There are dozens of millions of unemployed Americans

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

There are tons of actual legitimate job search resources in the OP alongside the lovely tasks and other heinous poo poo that I also included.

I included all of the lovely options, partly so we can marvel and laugh at how horrifying they are (because this is cspam) -- but mostly in case anyone is so desperately in need of some extra cash that they could probably find something on the list that they could bear for a little while.

Your posts here make it sound like you don't understand what it's like to be in that situation. I also don't see you offering any advice.

If this thread is not helpful to you and it is not to your taste, then why are you still here?

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Victory Position posted:

to the OP: are you out of work? waiting on more hours to come up? or is this something you just do on the side.

Yeah, I'm out of work right now :smith:

I got heavily into some of this stuff for a while last time I was unemployed, which was like 8 years ago

Even after I got a decent full time job, I kept using Mturk and Inspired Opinions to make some supplemental income. Especially when I had unexpected bills hit me, or had to take unpaid time off work because I got sick or whatever

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

snake and bake posted:

This started as a "remote jobs only" list (because lol if you think I'm working a loving service sector job during a pandemic) but kind of sprawled out from that into a general "how to get money, even if you are desperate enough to risk getting covid for it"

I didn't expect anyone would come kramering in here to tell me to go get a minimum wage job at Yum! Corporation. Did you get lost on your way to D&D?

gently caress off

Amazing specimen of the working class here folks. You don't get more leftist and working class than captain gig economy here. Not like those loving kulaks doing menial trash work for low pay and high risk like lib cucks. This bad dude knows that real leftists live in luxury apartments and fucks computers for fun. Not COOKING CHICKEN you D&D twatWAFFLE

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

snake and bake posted:

There are tons of actual legitimate job search resources in the OP alongside the lovely tasks and other heinous poo poo that I also included.

I included all of the lovely options, partly so we can marvel and laugh at how horrifying they are (because this is cspam) -- but mostly in case anyone is so desperately in need of some extra cash that they could probably find something on the list that they could bear for a little while.

Your posts here make it sound like you don't understand what it's like to be in that situation. I also don't see you offering any advice.

If this thread is not helpful to you and it is not to your taste, then why are you still here?

my advice is to get a service industry job if you need money.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
seriously you sound like you're a paid recruiter or something its weird.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Larry Parrish posted:

my advice is to get a service industry job if you need money.

I work in the service industry. Most places aren't hiring except the gig economy poo poo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Again, dozens of millions of Americans are unemployed. I feel like the limeys and the Brasilians don't really get how bad it is here right now

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do not accuse me of being a filthy euro and/or Plutonis style guy. but anyway idk what you're smoking cuz at least in california everyone has gone from 'fully staffed with people working 15 hour weeks' to 'we have 20% manning and everyone is pulling doubles every shift'. you can get hired same day basically anywhere in this county right now lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
larry is making me lol and poo poo welcome back my friend

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the amount of resources in this thread is fantastic! Here's my little contribution:

Consider building a small stand out of wood (you can easily find thrown away crates to salvage wood, or in a pinch, use your computer desk or family's furniture), then put it on the sidewalk. The next part is the tricky one; get some lemons, a juicer, some water, sugar and ice (you will need to have some accumulated capital in the form of a fridge for this one unfortunately) and mix all of that with some squeezed lemon juice. Afterwards, write a giant 25 CENTS sign and hang it off the front of the stand. Congratulations! Now you'll be able to, after enough time, afford Mario Kart all on your own. but more importantly, cspam will learn the true value of the dollar.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's unironically better advice than any of the gig work poo poo.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

do not accuse me of being a filthy euro and/or Plutonis style guy.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Larry Parrish posted:

Plutonis style guy