Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Hey friends!

My rear end got laid off so I've been devoting a bunch of time to my developer studies and working on a Wu Tang game. It's pretty simple but I also think it's pretty cool. I'd love it if you would help me out by listing your favorite Wu Tang verses. They don't have to be off of any of the main Wu Tang releases. Solo albums and guest appearances on other tracks are fair game.

Honestly a big driving force behind making this game was that I wasn't all that familiar with most of the guys in the group. I know Ghostface and ODB more from Mark Ronson tracks and the main Wu Tang track that I've listened to a bunch of times is "Gravel Pit."

Right now the game looks like this:

Space bar will play verses by the selected rapper. I'm going to implement an "audio only" mode where the portraits will be obscured so that the player has to determine the correct member based on voice/style alone.

Here's the result page:

I could name Beastie Boys and RTJ lyrics that I love all day long, but my Wu knowledge is lacking. Here are a couple that I really like:

RZA on GZA's "4th Chamber" :
Aiyo, camouflage chameleon, ninjas scaling your building
No time to grab the gun, they already got your wife and children

Method on "Gravel Pit" :
African killer bees blackwatch
On your radio, blowin out yo' watts

GZA on "Protect Ya Neck (The Jump Off)":
Run on the track like Jesse Owens
Broke the record flowing without any knowing
That my wordplay run the 400 meter relay
It's on once I grab the baton from the DJ

Thanks all, hope you're all healthy and happy :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo

Oh yeah, currently I have 10 members in the game. I know with Killa Bees there are more but these are the ones I'm including.

Inspectah Deck
Ghostface Killah
Masta Killa
Ol' Dirty Bastard
Raekwon the Chef
U-God
RZA
GZA / Genius
Method Man
Cappadonna

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Jolo

I also can't decide on what to call this thing. All of the puns like "Guess Wu" don't seem great. If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear em!

I'm hoping to convert this from Love/LUA to a format that can be hosted on a web page so that I can share this with all of you once it's a little further along. I think that's totally doable but if it isn't, I'll post a guide of how to download the files and a compiler that will run the game.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Jolo

Prof. Crocodile posted:

U-God's intro from Da Mystery Of Chessboxin is still sick 20 years later:
Raw I'm gonna give it to you, with no trivia
Raw like cocaine straight from Bolivia
My hip-hop will rock and shock the nation
like the Emancipation Proclamation

And the following bars by Inspectah Deck are also tight:
Well I'm a sire, I set the microphone on fire
Rap styles vary, and carry like Mariah

Actually you could probably put that whole song in the game. There's not a weak syllable in it.

This was the first one I got into the game yesterday :D

Jolo

You're all awesome. Thanks for taking the time to help with this. I forgot about that line "but when I swing my swords they all choppable"

It's tricky to chop the verses into smaller chunks. Most of the guys have rhyming couples but then Donna and Masta Killa will come on and most of it doesn't rhyme or it all fits together into one long verse. RZA tries to lay down the most complicated verses he can come up with. Ghostface is tricky because he barely takes a breath between lines.

Jolo

alnilam posted:

Method man:
M E T H O D, man
M E T H O D, man
M E T H O D, man
M E T H O D, man

Method Man wants to help the player out. When Cappadonna calls himself "Vocabulary Don" he gives a hint out.

Jolo

rear end-penny posted:

You cowards way out of line
Money talk, boy you wastin' my time
You don't want to put the work in
You just want a taste of the shine

They stopped manufacturin' the cloth that I'm cut from

:vince:

excellent

Jolo

Method on Protect Ya Neck (The Jump Off) :

Now what clan you know with lines this ill?
Bust shots at Big Ben like we got time to kill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo

blaise rascal posted:

I do not know much about wu tang but I wish you the best on this!

Thanks! I didn't know much about them either but now I know them all by appearance and by voice which is pretty cool. In addition to developing my coding ability that was the main goal of working on this.