Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

seiferguy posted:

Well, we still don't know how good he is, so let's hold off on any praise of Hurts!

Edit: it still is absolutely the right thing to bench Wentz. Took way too long.

Yeah I mean I can't say anything about how good Hurts is, but the decision to draft a QB in the 2nd round

Diva Cupcake posted:

Now do Jalen Reagor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah people are kind of overhyping Hurts based on one drive.

Does no onremember Matt Flynn

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

considering Wentz' franchise-crippling contract I'd probably can Pederson first. you've gotta at least try to fix the guy you're married to for the next three years

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007
Hurts is going to tear it up for a season then in a shock move Tua is going to get traded to the Eagles and replace him as the starter then get hurt only for Hurts to lead them to the Super Bowl. Tua will then retake the starting job and Hurts will leave for...hmm who is the Oklahoma of the NFL...the...Saints?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Both are another natural disaster away from improving?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/espn/status/1336366365997998083?s=19

Happy birthday king

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Jalen was 5 for 12, 109 yds 1td and 1int against a prevent defense.

:laugh:

Wentz might be bad, but the eagles offensive line is horrendous and they have no WRs. That team is doomed.

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

Amy Pole Her posted:

Both are another natural disaster away from improving?

Well, I was just trying to think of a team with a bunch of offense and bad defense, but yours works too.

And before anyone yells at me I know the Saints have had some decent defenses recently, it was just a bad joke ok!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

adaz posted:

Wentz might be bad, but the eagles offensive line is horrendous and they have no WRs. That team is doomed.

Saints defense gonna make him look like mahomes

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1336393771651620867?s=20

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Big words to the guy who’s not winning DROTY.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

adaz posted:

Jalen seems okay, and clearly an upgrade over Wentz.

But his arm strength looks weak af. No zip on those downfield balls and good dbs are gonna feast.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Jalen seems okay, and clearly an upgrade over Wentz.

This is all that matters for now.

I don't think he's going to work out long term either, but by playing him and having him suck you at least know what you have to work with. You already know what you don't or no longer have in Wentz. The team did seem to perk up when Hurts came in too, so it's not like they didn't see what was going on.

Wentz is fascinating to me. We can argue whether he was ever any good and all, but he was never this damned awful. It's crazy, he can't do the simplest things anymore, and he could at least do that before.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Grittybeard posted:

I don't think he's going to work out long term either, but by playing him and having him suck you at least know what you have to work with. You already know what you don't or no longer have in Wentz. The team did seem to perk up when Hurts came in too, so it's not like they didn't see what was going on.

Wentz is fascinating to me. We can argue whether he was ever any good and all, but he was never this damned awful. It's crazy, he can't do the simplest things anymore, and he could at least do that before.

Wonder if he never really recovered from that ACL. We take it for granted that everyone is going to come back from those injuries but there's no guarantee.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

According to Steven Ruiz he's never been that good!

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/12/carson-wentz-philadelphia-eagles-struggles-2017-mvp-season-analysis

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Wonder if he never really recovered from that ACL. We take it for granted that everyone is going to come back from those injuries but there's no guarantee.

It’s all just penis envy. Wentz is :flaccid:

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

The Eagles beat writer is very optimistic.

But that response is :discourse: (The OP was the person who thought he could hit a home run in the MLB)

https://twitter.com/HaydenWinks/status/1336409256166187009?s=19

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

This is true

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Wonder if he never really recovered from that ACL.
I don't think he ever did. There's no other way to explain why he's regressed so much.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

I think y'all are reading way too much into his injury and not enough into the fact his entire offensive line is backup or dudes playing on broken bones and no WRs worth anything. To me wentz looks like someone trying to constantly make something out of nothing which often makes QBs look awful. Wentz might just be a Dalton type QB (.. or Goff) in that if you dont give him a decent infrastructure he's going to suck real, real bad

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I think the back injury he had was likely a much bigger deal than the ACL

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Eagles will be lucky if they can trade Wentz and a second just to get him off the team.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
my fav

https://twitter.com/TJLKS13/status/1336403935016480771

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I think the back injury he had was likely a much bigger deal than the ACL

He has taken 50 sacks this year, starting Jalen might legitimately just be to prevent him from breaking Derek Carr's previously thought to be unbreakable record

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
*David Carr

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

not fixing it, i'm old

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
He still had a ways to go to break the team record, which was Randall Cunningham taking 72 sacks in 1986 (Plus other seasons with 60 and 57!).

gently caress it, put Wentz back in and go for 80!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

:agreed: with this and this

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

fartknocker posted:

He still had a ways to go to break the team record, which was Randall Cunningham taking 72 sacks in 1986 (Plus other seasons with 60 and 57!).

gently caress it, put Wentz back in and go for 80!

:agreed:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

adaz posted:

I think y'all are reading way too much into his injury and not enough into the fact his entire offensive line is backup or dudes playing on broken bones and no WRs worth anything. To me wentz looks like someone trying to constantly make something out of nothing which often makes QBs look awful. Wentz might just be a Dalton type QB (.. or Goff) in that if you dont give him a decent infrastructure he's going to suck real, real bad

:hmmyes:

Also, Howie sucks at drafting

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Anyone who says that Wentz just needs a better supporting cast should read this article:

https://theathletic.com/2179638/2020/11/10/carson-wentz-stunning-decline-philadelphia-eagles/?access_token=1803196

(Yes its paywalled, buy a sub to the athletic you cheapos)

Basically, yeah his supporting cast isn't great, but:

1. His internal timing in the pocket that made him great is awful now
2. His accuracy on easy throws is down, reflecting an issue in mechanics
3. He averaged over 50% completion on deep balls the last 3 years, he's at 40% this year
4. His average time to throw is going up, meaning that he's more responsible for his sacks than merely blaming the line.
5. He used to be decent against a blitz, this year he is awful.
6. He was throwing into tight windows more often in 2017 with greater success. He throws into tight windows less now, because he's not as successful.

To me, he's playing shook. He doesn't trust himself or his receivers, so he's holding on to the ball longer, making bad throws, and the only throws he can really get are checkdowns. He probably needs a sports psychologist in the off-season to help build up trust in himself.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

seiferguy posted:

Anyone who says that Wentz just needs a better supporting cast should read this article:

https://theathletic.com/2179638/2020/11/10/carson-wentz-stunning-decline-philadelphia-eagles/?access_token=1803196

3. He averaged over 50% completion on deep balls the last 3 years, he's at 40% this year
4. His average time to throw is going up, meaning that he's more responsible for his sacks than merely blaming the line.
6. He was throwing into tight windows more often in 2017 with greater success. He throws into tight windows less now, because he's not as successful.

To me, he's playing shook. He doesn't trust himself or his receivers, so he's holding on to the ball longer, making bad throws, and the only throws he can really get are checkdowns. He probably needs a sports psychologist in the off-season to help build up trust in himself.

lol Wentz pulled a kaepernick (getting completely, irreparably shellshocked when his top-ten line fell apart)

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
He's reminding me a lot of how RG3 just fell to pieces mentally after coming back from injury.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Wentz has been shook since big dick nick won the sb in his place and drafting Jalen ruined what was left

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

seiferguy posted:

His development is stunted by utter lack of organizational support. His GM can't draft, his strength and conditioning staff is approaching Chargers level of constant injury, his playcaller is acting like the oline is as good as 3 years ago (but is actually a sieve), his defense aged out and/or left in FA giving him little support, the fanbase never stops making GBS threads on him, so consequently he's trying to do way too much. The comment on his WRs is way too understated -- they are flat-out bad.

Of course he regressed

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

D-LINK posted:

His development is stunted by utter lack of organizational support. His GM can't draft, his strength and conditioning staff is approaching Chargers level of constant injury, his playcaller is acting like the oline is as good as 3 years ago (but is actually a sieve), his defense aged out and/or left in FA giving him little support, the fanbase never stops making GBS threads on him, so consequently he's trying to do way too much. The comment on his WRs is way too understated -- they are flat-out bad.

Of course he regressed

I agree with all of this, but there's regression and being on a bad team. And then there's being in the conversation about whether you're the worst quarterback in the league with Drew Lock.

He sucks, it's understandable why he sucks. A lot went into it, it's not all his fault! But man in the end he just really sucks. He's not normal bad and something you imagine is going to work out if other things improve, he's freaking terrible.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The problem is regression seems to be a one way street. Bad QBs can improve but ones a QB breaks they never seem to recover

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I feel like the Wentz contract has to be the worst one in NFL history at this point.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Gonna be max 500 people for the remainder of the regular season for the Packers

https://twitter.com/ReinerOlivia/status/1336452742659919874

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hot Diggity! posted:

Gonna be max 500 people for the remainder of the regular season for the Packers

https://twitter.com/ReinerOlivia/status/1336452742659919874

that's like 1100 though if you go by BMI.