Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I forgot to say anything about this one.

The big thing that struck me about the film was what I thought was a blur between the horrific reality of the situation and the boy's childlike fantasy of it. That didn't fully hit me until the last act when he makes the bomb and it doesn't work... because of course a kid couldn't just throw together a bomb. That seemed so clear after it happened but I really kind of believed up until that point. And once that happens it made me look back on the whole film and wonder how long it had been fooling me with the kid's perspective. The opening scene of the kid having an action movie obstacle course, his toy dungeon through a secret passage, weird passages of time or the geography of the house. Even the idea of hiding his grandpa in the suit of armor. It all felt really absurd to me when it was happening but then when that moment happens it immediately made me question if any of that had actually happened the way we saw it or if it was a kid's imagination and fantasies.

Its not a film I really see myself watching again, especially at Christmas. The use of the kid's fantasies to juxtapose the horrific and traumatizing reality of the situation is very well done and unique but also way too raw and dark for something i really want to experience often. But its really impressively well executed and does what it sets out to do, and weeks later I still can't really think of a movie that does something similar. Although admittedly my index of home invasion kid films is small.

I also totally get the Home Alone thing but I think they're such dramatically different films that have such dramatically different agendas that I can't use a term like "knock off" or "copy" or "plagiarism." Its two totally different spins on the same one sentence plot pitch so I think both can be appreciated for what they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU