Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

phew. time to finally see the second hhalf of eviternity after getting kinda bored with this level 3 months ago and grinding it out over the last two days. for a level of this size & monster count its surprisingly low energy. and just drags on forever. i didnt love it but i did eventualyl appreciate the design of it, i was surprised to realize how far in you could conceivably still have picked a different path, and it was kind of a hidden "hub & spoke" level after all. neat! the final fight was whatever. was expecting something way more grandiose after a adventure of that size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

barnold posted:

i replay FEAR and the expansions every year or two and it never gets old. the AI is so good for a game from 2005. played the sequel and Reborn on my 360 last year and it was not as good but pretty fun. then i tried 3 and it felt like i was playing black ops. rip

It's fun to read about how the AI was designed per a GDC talk from the developers. Some of it was smoke and mirrors that suggested greater complexity (e.g., sound clips that made it sound like the enemies were coordinating their moves when in actuality they weren't). The effect is very convincing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I finally got off my rear end and uploaded the imp zone pack to the adoring public. the release thread is here: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/143496-the-imp-zone-game-club-community-pack-25-maps-cl2/ I wonder what the reception will be like. congrats again to all the imp mappers - it is an awesome WAD.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

quote:

SA still exists?! Wow! Blast from the past... I'll give this a whirl...

I think it's already had a great reception :)

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

In Training posted:

I finally got off my rear end and uploaded the imp zone pack to the adoring public. the release thread is here: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/143496-the-imp-zone-game-club-community-pack-25-maps-cl2/ I wonder what the reception will be like. congrats again to all the imp mappers - it is an awesome WAD.

Nice, grats to all the imp mappers

and

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MAP19 of eviternity 1 was also long as gently caress but I had a better time with it than 32. The look was cooler, the combat was more finely tuned and i liked the music better. I hope theres no more 90 minute monstrosities though they really are just really drat self indulgent. I dont need a whole rear end video game from one map. Spread out the love!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

In Training posted:

ah jeez as a newbie myself who only just started doom mapping im really mad at myself for missing this!

def gonna play this tho

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

It's fun to read about how the AI was designed per a GDC talk from the developers. Some of it was smoke and mirrors that suggested greater complexity (e.g., sound clips that made it sound like the enemies were coordinating their moves when in actuality they weren't). The effect is very convincing.

its wild to remember how the simplest ai used to blow our minds. i remember in half-life being shocked the first time i ducked behind a corner and the grunts threw a grenade around the corner that landed at my feet. but then you consider that this was, what, five years off from doom monsters whose entire ai routine was basically if see player, shoot, if not see player, move randomly

----------------

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Hi Imp Zone! I'm planning to stream a playthrough of the Imp Zone Game Club Community Pack at 9PM EST this Friday, if any of the mappers are interested in seeing their work get played:

https://www.twitch.tv/weirdsandwich

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

nice. I'll be tuning in at work

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Weird Sandwich posted:

Hi Imp Zone! I'm planning to stream a playthrough of the Imp Zone Game Club Community Pack at 9PM EST this Friday, if any of the mappers are interested in seeing their work get played:

nice, can't wait to leave snarky comments about how much better I am at Doom 😎

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Weird Sandwich posted:

:cheerdoge:

----------------

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

missed the first 7 levels but i watched the MAP08 -> MAP16 run including secret levels and had a blast. good stream, good dooming and once again, good poo poo everybody who made levels.

i took notes for bugfixing and will be doing some editing in the lead up to the idgames candidate. sorry everyone who wanted unpegged door sectors in your final vision. they will be viciously excised.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Good maps people, had a blast playing! Most of these didn't feel like beginner maps at all, and even the less polished ones were still real fun.

Gonna finish off the wad next week, same time again or maybe a bit later on so In Training won't miss their next map

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Ok going to stream again this Friday and start the remainder of the wad around 10:30 EST. (The stream will start earlier at 9:00 again but with a different wad until 10:30)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tuning my rear end in.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks again for streaming! Was awesome to see the whole pack get played, bummer that my secret blue door broke...

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Hey thanks for joining again The last third of the wad was very fun, even the rougher maps were a good time. Looking forward to seeing what the Imp Zone mappers come up with next!

Also Breach was the wad I was thinking of that did the hell-corrupted tech base concept really well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Caught the rest of your time with MAP23 and found some more spots to tweak. thanks again for streaming the whole thing! I had a great time watching, ive got a grip of fixes to make, the dehacked version to test (courtesy of Dieting Hippo) and this bad boy can be shipped off to the idgames archive

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Here's a change log for Public Candidate 1.1

code:
MAP09 - Fixed AV sightline on box trap
MAP10 - Change teleport into Cybie arena from a WR to W1
MAP12 - Fixed two slime trails, fixed weird sky box on top of the blue key mountain, fixed a switch texture that was split in half and not lighting up properly
MAP13 - Properly tagged the 4th wall that was not opening for the final battle
MAP14 - Added more ammo to the final circle
MAP16 - Fixed possible softlock in the crusher hallway, completely chanegd how this level begins
MAP18 - Fixed broken final trap before exit
MAP19 - Added a new trap dorr to the room with revs and pinkies
MAP22 - Finally fixed the broken blue key door to secret for real this time
MAP23 - Added a switch texture to the SHAWN wall in the techbase wing to make it clear to progress
MAP31 - Changed brightness in bowling room to fix clipping midtextures, fixed a mixing texture in the SSG room, added Exit markings to the exit
Mostly bug fixes, in some cases I made progression more obvious, and I've made one substantial change to MAP16 - It's Pinky to make it more obvious how the keys work for Pinky's shop. Now before you can leave the very first room you *have* to visit Pinky, and open up his shop, so you get the lore, setting, and see all the key doors. Making it totally optional may make it quite confusing for anybody who just skips Pinky's shop and doesn't really get whats going on 20 minutes into the map.

If you hate it I can revert it. This is based on watching some random footage plus weird sandwich's complete playthrough.

At this point, I think maybe I'd like to do a rework of MAP15's secret exit, but otherwise, we are pretty good for the final idgames archive upload.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

In Training posted:

code:
MAP12 - Fixed two slime trails, fixed weird sky box on top of the blue key mountain, fixed a switch texture that was split in half and not lighting up properly
MAP16 - Fixed possible softlock in the crusher hallway, completely chanegd how this level begins
MAP23 - Added a switch texture to the SHAWN wall in the techbase wing to make it clear to progress
MAP31 - Changed brightness in bowling room to fix clipping midtextures, fixed a mixing texture in the SSG room, added Exit markings to the exit
Mostly bug fixes, in some cases I made progression more obvious, and I've made one substantial change to MAP16 - It's Pinky to make it more obvious how the keys work for Pinky's shop. Now before you can leave the very first room you *have* to visit Pinky, and open up his shop, so you get the lore, setting, and see all the key doors. Making it totally optional may make it quite confusing for anybody who just skips Pinky's shop and doesn't really get whats going on 20 minutes into the map.

If you hate it I can revert it. This is based on watching some random footage plus weird sandwich's complete playthrough.

At this point, I think maybe I'd like to do a rework of MAP15's secret exit, but otherwise, we are pretty good for the final idgames archive upload.

hell yeah

Weird Sandwich posted:

Hey thanks for joining again The last third of the wad was very fun, even the rougher maps were a good time. Looking forward to seeing what the Imp Zone mappers come up with next!

Also Breach was the wad I was thinking of that did the hell-corrupted tech base concept really well.

finally got to see the vod, it's cool and mortifying to watch someone playing through my map lol. thanks for streaming it

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

In Training posted:

code:

That sound's good, I didn't think about someone not finding the shop for that long. I've been working on my map here and there, I updated the blue skull area and started editing the whole yellow card path. I probably won't finish for a long time though, so whatever changes you think would help are welcome.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

finished MAP02 of my upcoming project....lookign for some feedback. gonna release map01/02 as a demo to motivate me to finish the drat thing. its a Boom pack, cl9, and eventually will be 6 levels. check it out.

>>>DOWNLOAD<<<

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

nice work on the maps. i found the shotgun room in map01very late despite looking around the level a bunch before finding a new location. i don't know if it's intended for you to find that shotgun room early, but i got the ssg and chaingun before that. nice secrets, fun use of level geometry to make fights more intense as you progress through the map.

evil loving start on map02 lol. at least it's at the beginning, so trying again isn't that big of a deal.

i got lost on both maps because sometimes the path to follow isn't that clear. i eventually found my way but i feel like i would have found it faster if there were some eye catch that would lead me to progression.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

French Accent posted:

nice work on the maps. i found the shotgun room in map01very late despite looking around the level a bunch before finding a new location. i don't know if it's intended for you to find that shotgun room early, but i got the ssg and chaingun before that. nice secrets, fun use of level geometry to make fights more intense as you progress through the map.

evil loving start on map02 lol. at least it's at the beginning, so trying again isn't that big of a deal.

i got lost on both maps because sometimes the path to follow isn't that clear. i eventually found my way but i feel like i would have found it faster if there were some eye catch that would lead me to progression.

you can do things in different orders in MAP01, it was originally more linear but Im glad I cracked it open bc map02 is much more linear.

and are there any specific spots you remember the progression wasnt obvious? I can think more about ways to make it obvious what to do...

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

i think i understand why i got lost on map01: i sequence broke by jumping to the blue keycard

because i didn't find the shotgun room, i figured it was optional. when i activated the blue keycard switch, half of the monsters that were supposed to jump in, didn't jump in (only the cacos and barons appeared), so getting to the exit was easy. the confusion stems from this sequence break, i think.

another thing i want to point out is the elevator switch half way into the map. i wasn't sure what it did and missed that it made the elevator descend. that's because there are pillars blocking the view towards it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm gonna make that lift way more obvious and last longer. It's weirdly limited for basic progression!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I had been tinkering w/ MAP02 for so long I had all this pent up energy. I started and finished map04 yesterday lol. 03 & 05 are sketched and need lots of work but I might wind up actually finishing this set after first drafting it over a year ago. Very cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

my garish and gimmicky MAP04 is in the books - 3 maps down, 3 to go.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

are there any modded levels for Outlaws or is it just the map pack

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

----------------

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

what the gently caress.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Fungah! posted:

what the gently caress.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Fungah! posted:

what the gently caress.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Where were these freaks in January? I'm pissed lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

what the gently caress.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

what the gently caress.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dude, WELCOME to the community!!!

Bicyclops