Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm working on a list of one horror film directors for a team.

Charles Laughton- night of the hunter
Kathryn Bigelow- near dark
Fran rubel kuzui - Buffy the vampire slayer
Bill gunn - ganja n hess
James bond iii - def by temptation
Gerard mcmurray- first purge
Mati diop - Atlantics
Julia Ducournau- raw
Anna biller - love witch (tho viva may be horror)
Coralie fargeat- revenge

I also want to get koji back in this tourney but he has enough for himself again though many of them aren't easily accessible. So maybe he'd qualify for a team up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm working on a list of one horror film directors for a team.

Bill gunn - ganja n hess
Mati diop - Atlantics
Julia Ducournau- raw
Coralie fargeat- revenge

I also want to get koji back in this tourney but he has enough for himself again though many of them aren't easily accessible. So maybe he'd qualify for a team up?

Another for the Ones
Na Hong-jin - The Wailing

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Anyone added Joel Schumacher yet?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

married but discreet posted:

Yup, but there was discussion on whether Phone Booth should be in there.

Weekend was busy and couldn't follow the thread closely

Also glad to see some of yall gathering up the yellows.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Bill gunn - ganja n hess
Mati diop - Atlantics
Julia Ducournau- raw
Coralie fargeat- revenge
Lesley Manning - Ghostwatch

Added Ghostwatch and dropped Raw and Revenge. Fran wanted those two for a team hes working on and they fit his theme better.

You'll notice a few of my films are newer and so it doesn't feel fair to call dibs on some of them since they're, hopefully, just starting their directorial careers and could do more horror. So as long as I can keep 6 I'm willing to trade out more modern ones I have on my list.

Edit: I've been informed I've misinterpreted the rules and since my team is One and Done, I'll only have six eligible films. I'll keep working on it and paring down.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 7, 2020

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Nigel bach - all the bad ben movies

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
jack sholder: noes2, the hidden, alone in the dark, wishmaster 2, arachnid, 12 days of terror, supernova

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Letterboxd doesn't have anything for him listed so I'll need some kind of list or something. I'm unfamiliar with the whole Bad Ben thing.

https://letterboxd.com/director/nigel-bach-2/

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Bill gunn - ganja n hess
Lesley Manning - Ghostwatch

The One n Dones

Finalized...... for now

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Do we have Ho Meng-Hua on here?
Oily maniac
Black Magic
Black Magic 2
The Mighty Peking Man
Evil Black Magic
Midnight Murder

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm going to stake out a claim on Carpenter.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'm at work and I was gonna kill a few minutes by voting but it's just too tough. I'm gonna need to sit down at home with a whiskey for this one.

Haha yeah I'm gunna get ginned up for voting. I'm gunna try to pick some stuff I wouldn't normally just to push my horizons.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Was thinking about crab monsters and how the Harryhausen film Mysterious Island has a great giant crab scene. Anyway it occurred to me that Harryhausen should've been included in this but I guess we just don't think of him as a horror director(and he wasn't even a director, his place in film history is pretty unique). But he's certainly a monster/creature guy.

I watched Mysterious Island not too long ago and it was an absolute blast. Along with all the other cool designs I really liked the diving suits.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea for anyone who hasn't seen it, this is a movie full of Harryhausen monsters where in the second half of the movie the heroes have an undersea adventure with none other than Captain Nemo. Need I say more?

It also opens with a civil war air ballooning scene

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It lets me watch other movies while still participating in this.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVeC_y_310U

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Last Cannibal World - very trashy Italian cannibal movie. Problematic at every turn with not much to say on those elements of the piece. Shame, since I do think Cannibal Holocaust (another Deodato) is a very smart movie even though it utilizes similar problematic elements. This one has nothing to offer really.

Silver Bullets - Joe Swanberg's take on a werewolf story. The relationship drama is pretty compelling and handled well. There's some good shot selections, and a surreal feel to the piece. I liked it well enough, but I also felt a bit cold. STAC and Debbie did some good write-ups on it that gave me a bit to chew on for voting purposes. It's 70 minutes, but felt a bit padded at points to me as well.

Urban Legends: Bloody Mary - ya know, this is better than I expected, especially given it's a 2000s slasher. It starts off really strong but once the dude blows his crotch off peeing on an electric fence it's pretty downhill. Wastes the best two characters Grace and David and gets super generic in the backend which drags the whole thing down.

So Last Cannibal is out, even though I really wanted to vote for Deodato just to get some of the other pictures in his lineup. Bloody Mary is definitely more of a horror movie than Silver Bullets, but Silver Bullets shows more potential for interesting takes on horror. Silver Bullets gets my vote.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sadako stabs his owner with a bottle all the steam is out.

I didn't even like that kill! It's like they forgot the gimmick of the movie and went with a bog standard slasher kill!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Yeah, we all have our specific beloved/critically acclaimed movie that we hate. Mine's Hellraiser II, it's a piece of poo poo imho.

you're lucky im not a mod

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
time to delete my account i guess

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
corona zombies - just awful, zero reason to watch this

I Stand Alone - I was anxious about this one at first, tje reputation of the movie and Noe didn't give me a lot of hope for a good time. Well, I didn't have a good time, but not because I found it to be a vile movie... I found it boring. Noe's movie is well made, has some good experimentation, and accomplishes its goal as a character study. A shame that I just find it to be a snoozefest.

Bloodstained Butterfly - I consider this one of the better giallos out there. The mystery is well fleshed out and is unique in its presentation.

Voted for Bloodstained Butterfly

The Happening - surprisingly funny and not the worst b-movie out there. marky mark and zoey drag the whole thing down for me though.

Red Queen Kills Seven Times - a delightfully fun giallo with a great villain and premise.

Under the Skin - unlike i stand alone, i love this slow burning character study. it's haunting and has some incredible visuals

Voted Under the Skin

E: Cleaned it up a bit.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 12, 2021

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Sweet, the first set is all new to me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I love the spooky house/mansion in Bones.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Bride - Incredibly mediocre. Typical modern ghost story. A couple interesting things and a decent spooky house though.

Mother Joan of Angels - A good movie about struggling with faith with some astounding photography.

A Page of Madness - This knocked my socks off. Admittedly, I went to read its wiki to fully understand the story, but the visuals delightful from start to finish. I also thought it was amazing how it didn't feel like a film from the 1920s, the editing and creative visuals felt much newer than a film that old. It works really well even though it felt like they didnt have much to work with.

second group

War of the Worlds - Spielberg sci-fi based on the classic. Good film, on a technical level it's the best of the lot this round.

Bones - Snoop Dogg killin it. One of my favorite spooky mansions, tons of ambition, great direction. Everything you'd want from a spooky movie. The last scene feels a bit extraneous imo, but I wouldn't knock it much for that. The cast is fun and Snoop makes a great antagonist in this.

Butterfly Kisses - A top tier FF movie. Multiple levels of fake documentary and found footage creating a fun meta feel without winking to the audience about its meta level. I think all 3 parts work, and unlike some of my fellow posters I found Gavin to be incredibly sad. He's definitely a frustrating figure, with opportunities to correct course, but you can feel his obsession growing as more and more people refuse to believe what he's presenting. It's not quite on the level of a tragedy, but his struggle to be taken seriously and to get out of a unfulfilling career is far too relatable.

I am voting for A Page of Madness and Butterfly Kisses.

Please do the same. :D

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I like Fulcis Zombi

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I have watched Singapore Sling and See China and Die! (Time of the wolf will be tomorrow)

SCaD: Cohen doing a made for TV movie and TV show pilot. I would have liked to watch the show. Its a fun little movie that isn't overly ambitious. The lead is fun to watch, and there's a good sense of humor to the whole thing.

Singapore Sling: Meanwhile this movie goes for it all. Its decadent and depraved, with a playfulness running through all its perversion and violence. At times it can be too much. The kiwi scene is so indulgent that it becomes humoursly warped. The taboo subject matter is done so nonchalantly you could almost forget its there. Which can feel gross, rightfully so. Yet, it's so carefully crafted with wonderful sets, costuming, composition, nothing seems accidental including the anarchy. My only real complaint is that the dialogue, especially the parts directed at the audience, just didn't work for me. It was at its best when the sound design did the heavy lifting in scenes. I dont blame the actors or the writing style, they both fit the retro feel, just didn't work for me I guess.

Anyway, I'll be voting for Singapore Sling.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I watch Time of the Wolf

Zombi: Fulci fun on an island of zombies. I see others here were to fond of its weird ill-condtructed madness, but never mind them. There's shark v zombie, maggots falling out of zombies, Fulcis eye trauma signature, and a whip rear end soundtrack. It's good y'all, roll with it, let it wash over you with its clearly knock off approach. Be goofy. Though the shark scene as "fun" as it is, does have some ethical problems with the shark being fed then heavily tranqd so they could use a real one and filmed without Fulci's approval. At least they didn't kill it, looking at you Mako: Jaws of Death.

Time of the Wolf: I came into it ready to hate it. Hanekes always come off as a guy a bit full of himself with his approach to "intelligent" cinematic violence. Honestly though, I really enjoyed this misery. Its not as relentless as I expected, giving you moments of human decency that are all too real while calling out that the misery of man is largely caused by the few vs the many. Theres a lot of comraderie to appreciate even though it's quickly buried by the next unspeakable act of violence and selfishness. Theres beauty in it, in the dream that we can be saved. Something I can appreciate given current events. That said, dude shows an actual horse being killed. And while it was filmed at a slaughterhouse, it's still just an unnecessary addition in a movie that's bleak enough.

I'm going Fulci here.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Too many, and honestly I hope that turns around because I can only imagine it turning away more casual participants of this venture

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Italian horror tournament next time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hell yeah, go Fulci!

Faculty v GB2 is such an easy call for me. Faculty all the way. Not gunna rewatch GB2 but I'll rewatch Faculty.

Haven't seen the other 2.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I've softened on the GB movies over time. Loved them as a kid, but find them pretty meh these days.

Watched The Faculty this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great cast, good script, kick rear end creature design, and a fun 90s music selection. Though there's a subplot with Josh Hartnett and Famke Janssen that's a little high brow raising.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I really don't have a strong opinion either way so if including them will annoy some people then probably better to just leave them out.

:same:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I voted for The Faculty, as previously stated. Still super enjoyable to me, very silly, great monster design and taps that 90s nostalgia my brain is hard wired to drool over.

I went with Rabid on the other vote. I found it to be a fun remake, good sense of humor, and I thought the effects were pretty solid. Trouble Every Day wasn't bad, but I just didn't click with it and has almost no impressions on it afterwards. I think its interesting in what it's doing with its spin on people eaters and relationships, but I didn't like the way it was filmed and it's minimalism ended up detracting from my experience more than enhancing the film. I think I could rewatch eventually and have more appreciation of it, but not in enough time for this tourny.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
*Bangs fists on the table*
Ghostwatch!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

could someone please prepare for me an edit of Doctor Sleep that is under two hours tia

Co-signed.

Preferably 30 minutes

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

hell i'd settle for an edit that is just a different Ewan McGregor movie, maybe Shallow Grave

Careful a monekys paw somewhere might curl and give an attack of clones fan edit

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol I had never seen that. What a great response

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Who could ever sit through an indulgent 2+ hour film from a creator who can't edit himself?

:wiggle:

:hai:

Wait a god drat minute!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Audrey Rose VS Ghostwatch

And undeniable classic, Ghostwatch, takes on a much slower mood piece. I liked Audrey Rose, the cast was great, but the plot is pretty thin and drags on for far too long. The hypnosis scene was dope and I really liked how it all concluded.

Ghostwatch, however, is a incredible example of the power moving pictures have on people. It was quite the controversy on release and received a 10 year ban as a result. Now that doesn't make it a shoe in, plenty of banned movies are outright terrible. Ghostwatch isn't one of them. It's entertaining from beginning to end, features some down right spooky scenes, and has such an incredible ending I just can't pass it up.

Human Lanterns VS Doctor Sleep

Human Lanterns is a fun kungfu black magic movie. I loved the set designs, probably my favorite parts of the whole movie was just how well decorated every set is. The villain also brings a ton of energy to the movie. Doctor Sleep is a movie a I was ready to dislike. Didn't have a great rep among people here and other places. I can kinda see why, it's overly long, slow start and if you don't think the Overlook needs revisiting then it'll do nothing for you in the finale.

I'm going to copy my thoughts from letterboxd:

I did like the use of Danny managing his alcoholism compared to a magic cult that huffs the essence of others to stay alive, that's a neat premise. Abra Stone was a great protagonist, but it took a long time to get deep into her story. It delivers on it and she was absolute joy to watch as she got to deliver magic justice.

I did have a big laugh that the confrontation with the cult scene was a gunfight instead of a magic fight. That just felt off in a way. 

There's some great visuals, the mind scapes, Danny's boxes, when the ghosts meet hat lady. I didn't mind the shining references but also don't think they work on the whole. No offense to E.T's Elliot but he ain't Jack Nicholson, which is a bummer because he shares a scene with Danny that is a fantastic character moment for Danny, but it's dragged down by an unnecessary impression.

Right now I'm leaning Human Lanterns, but I could be talked into Doc Sleep tbh.