Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bracket & Noms Spreadsheet
Letterboxd List

Tokyo Conference / Doubles Conference

Itallian Conference / American Slasher Conference

Where We're At:
The Championships!
4. MacheteZombie’s The One n Dones vs. 5. Deb’s Queer as in gently caress You
- James Bond III’s Def by Temptation vs. Hélène Cattet & Bruno Forzani’s Amer
- Lesley Manning’s Ghostwatch vs. Nikos Nikolaidis’ Singapore Sling
- Kathryn Bigelow’s Near Dark vs. Hélène Cattet & Bruno Forzani’s The Strange Colors of Your Body

Vote or change your vote until 3 AM EST Sept 10th (or when I wake up)

-------------------
Happy Holidays my fellow Spook-a-Doodle fans! Its been a couple of months since we ended our epic summer long Director Bracketology Tournament/Movie Club and we had plenty of Halloween Challenges and Sunday Chill Streams but we’re all nerds so we’re itching, aren’t we? So I volunteered to do Bracketology II and I have an idea. You know me, I can be an over complicated crazy person so I’m gonna do my best to keep this simple.

We keep the same basic format Shrecknet established. Open nominations for Directors and their lists of movies. A big vote to see who gets in and seeding. A council of folks to pick the top seeds and troubleshoot problems. Weekly rounds. All what we’re used to and what Shreck established and ran so well. Here’s where I get involved and it gets a little complicated.

Eligibility: Every director is eligible even if they played last round, but only films that didn’t get played last round are eligible. So Dario Argento is eligible but Suspiria and Deep Red are not. You can still put together a ballot for Argento but not including those two heavyweights since they got played last round.

Ballot Size: Every ballot/nomination/list must have a minimum of 6 films on it but no maximum. The minimum avoids us repeating movies and the maximum assures that there’s no way to weight a ballot one way or another for a director by either cherry picking their 6 best films or their 6 worst. Instead if someone like Wes Craven has a large and uneven catalogue its gonna be a wild card each round for what he draws.

Teams: Argento and Craven will be able to find 6+ films easy but others like David Cronenberg, Sam Raimi, Brian Yuzna, or David Lynch went deep and won’t. And there’s still plenty of directors who don’t have 6 films in total. That’s where it gets fun. You can team 2-6 directors up for one list provided they have 5 or less eligible films each. So you can team up 6 directors with 1 eligible film, 3 with 2, or 2 with 5. The math just has to work out but you can’t cherry pick. If a director has 6 films they have to be on their own, and if you get to 6 with 2 directors you can’t add a 3rd. Make sense?

That opens the door for all kinds of interesting things. You could team Cronenberg’s remaining horrors up with his son’s. Or team Raimi’s Evil Dead up with Matt Guertz’s Tonight She Comes and Fede Alvaraz’s Evil Dead ’13. Or team Robert Rodriguez, Quentin Tarantino, and Eli Roth up as the “Grindhouse” team. One Hit Wonders like Night of the Hunter and Carnival of Souls? A couple of directors from the same country? Some real trash stuff? Your primary limitation is what you can theme up and make work.

But “No Cherry Picking” is key to keep this “fair” I think. You have to make a good faith effort to fill your team with a director’s eligible films. If something is especially obscure or a short or something that can be skipped, but if you did do that Raimi/Guertz/Alvarez teamup you’d also have to include Raimi’s The Gift, Alvarez’s Don’t Breathe, and Guertz’ RWD.

So does that all make sense? I think its a simple enough twist on what we already made work that both keeps this going and adds a new wrinkle people could have fun with. It lets you put together teams, have a vested rooting interest in your team(s), and creates potentially wild card entries if you can make the right combination. And again, I propose a Council of 8 like last time to deal with any problems and pick 8 top seeds. I would suggest disqualifying myself in the name of fairness and nominate the 8 top posters in the last thread. Provided they’re all interested and still engaged.

Debbie Does Dagon
TrixRabbi
Basebf555
Franchescanado
married but discreet
Shrecknet
Burkion
MacheteZombie

The other question is when? We can start this Jan 1st if we want or we can delay it if people’s schedules ask for it. The goal is participation and fun so if delaying this makes sense I say we delay it. But if we’re ready to go, I’ll get the ball rolling.

For the sake of reference here are links to Shrek’s spreadsheet of movies played last time and now ineligible, a quick a dirty spreadsheet I compiled of what nominated directors/movies are still eligible, and the thread itself.

Last Year’s Thread
Last Year’s Spreadsheet
Last Year’s Holdovers

This Tourney's Noms

So what does everyone think?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the "no cherry picking" thing helps counter a bit. Like if you can put together a team of 2-6 directors with really tight and great catalogues and no trash, yeah, you might have an edge. But that's at least harder than last time with the 2 film directors. And maybe the big time director gets unlucky and draws a bad film but I think the randomness of the movie pick is more appealing to the "movie club" aspect. And everyone loved the upsets last time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

The tournament itself sounds like it would be great but I'm worried that nomination process would be very complicated.

Its certainly possible and was my concern. I always overcomplicate things. But I'm gonna try and stay hands off and not nitpick things. Hopefully it won't be an issue much. Like Tarnop's nom seems like it checks out fine.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

married but discreet posted:

Would be fun just to theorycraft for a while, no need to start this in January.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Best to just post it and see what happens. If it proves too much we can scrap it and figure out a simpler idea. Right now the work seems to be on me to double check and I'm fine with that.

drat, I had a really lesser known giallo director lineup before I realized I can't include directors who would qualify on their own.
I just think that restriction is probably necessary to avoid people just putting together cherry picked super teams.

edit:

Noms Spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rzRuxycZQQAkq1VjkgDyqTpmhrN_uVRSyk5d4D0I7Ig/edit?usp=sharing

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Adding my two heavyweights both to get them off the board and address the "no maximum" factor.

John Carpenter
1) The Thing
2) Halloween
3) In The Mouth of Madness
4) The Fog
5) Vampires
6) Village of the Damned
7) Ghosts of Mars
8) The Ward
9) Cigarette Burns
10) Pro-Life

Wes Craven
1) Scream
2) A Nightmare on Elm Street
3) Scream 2
4) Scream 4
5) Scream 3
6) New Nightmare
7) The Hills Have Eyes
8) Red Eye
9) The People Under The Stairs
10) The Serpent and The Rainbow
11) Swamp Thing Shocker
12) Cursed
13) Vampire in Brooklyn
14) My Soul to Take
15) Deadly Blessing
16) Deadly Friend
17) The Hills Have Eyes Part 2
18) Summer of Fear
19) Invitation to Hell
20) Chiller

So like obviously those are crazy lists, especially Wes. But I kind of like that because it increases the randomness of the draw each round and puts no bias on their choices. And wouldn't it be kind of funny if we did this thing over and over and Wes kept drawing his bad films every time? I love him but I can appreciate that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess I'm seeing Thrillers as bubble movies. So I guess that is "cherry picking", which is unfortunately contradictory. But I figure if people feel strongly one way or another about a movie in particular then we can hash it out. Like if someone felt strongly that Phonebooth and Falling Down should count as much as 8MM? I can see that case. But like A Time to Kill and The Client? Not so much. So we hash it out and if necessary put it up to a council vote before we finalize noms.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Just to clarify, Teams must be composed of directors with an exact total of 6 movies, right?

This is definitely the most complicated part of this and I'm not sure how to phrase it properly. You're maxed at directors at 6. You're not maxed at films at 6. But you're maxed at ADDING directors when you get to 6 films.

So if Director A has 5 films you can add 1 more director. Director B could have 1-5 films for a total of 6-10 films, but whatever Director B's total is will get you to 6 so you can't add a 3rd.

If Directors A and B have 2 films, Director C has 3, and Director D has 1 then there's a few ways you can work it. You could put A, B, and C together for a total of 7. Or you could put A OR B with C and D for a total 6. But you couldn't put all of them together because you could reach 6 without D.

Aye, in that case we gotta add all eligible movies to Brutal Brits to avoid nitpicks, no?
Neil Marshall has 5 full horror movies so we should add The Reckoning (2020), Hellboy (2019) and Doomsday (2008)
Ben Wheatley could perhaps also have High Rise (2016) and Rebecca (2020) added? They're at the very least horror adjacent.

Doomsday is on. I think Reckoning is theoretically dismissible since it doesn't seem to have any distribution. So its up to what people thing about those. But if we included them all it would still be a valid team since Marshall has 5 and Wheatley has 5.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, Tried to make Team Grindhouse work but Eli Roth and Rob Zombie have too many films. So adding them and then trying for my team with what’s left.

Eli Roth
1) Hostel
2) Knock, Knock
3) Green Inferno
4) Cabin Fever
5) The House With The Clock In The Walls
6) Hostel Part II

Rob Zombie
1) House of 1000 Corpses
2) Halloween
3) The Devil's Rejects
4) Lords of Salem
5) 3 From Hell
6) 31
7) The Haunted World of El Superbeasto

Team Grindhouse
Robert Rodriguez
1) From Dusk Til Dawn
2) The Faculty
Quentin Tarantino
3) Death Proof
Edgar Wright
4) Shaun of the Dead
Jason Eisener
5) Hobo With a Shotgun
Allison Anders, Alexandre Rockwell, Robert Rodriguez, and Quentin Tarantino
6) Four Rooms

Ok, that last one is a reach but it has witches, Hitchcock, desiccated corpses, and torture. I dare you to tell me its not at least horror adjacent. Why’d we have to burn Planet Terror? if people really object I’ll pull it until I can find a 6th

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 5, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, I don't want to spam this and do them all but I feel like this is a super obvious one everyone will like that helps defuse the idea that this "team" thing has to be complicated. It can be as simple as finding 2 directors with small catalogues who fit well together.

Team Exorcist (William Friedkin & William Peter Blatty)
William Friedkin
1) The Exorcist
2) Bug
3) The Guardian
4) The Devil & Father Amorth

William Peter Blatty
5) The Exorcist III
6) The Ninth Configuration

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tarnop posted:

I accept this correction. STAC Goat, could you swap out Spielberg for Alice Lowe - Prevenge in my group please?
Done.

I don't quiiiite know if Time of the Wolf and Cache would be appropriate (not seen, but they sound at least horror adjacent). Plus Haneke has an experimental documentary of sorts that sounds like it could apply:

I could switch out Haneke for Veronika Franz & Severin Fiala:

Its up to you. I'm not familiar enough with Haneke to say. A quick look at the films makes it seem like they MIGHT be but I dunno. So unless someone voices in with an objection its probably your call of Haneke or Franz/Fiala.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In the name of balance if Spielberg has Jurassic Park he probably get gets Lost World too, no?

Nom still holds valid even with that. That's the perfect 5+5 team.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not against shorts, I just personally steer against them and think they should be eligible to "skip" because they're such a different thing to compare and its so hard to separate the parts of an anthology (at least for me). But I have a Team V/H/S entry I'm working on perfecting.

I've never seen I Saw The Devil but I've always seen it listed as horror on like every list.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, so I realized that with the rules of this one there’s no real rush or fun in nominating the big names because you don’t have to pick 6 movies so you’d just be saying a name and compiling a list. So I went and did that work. Specifically I took the Field of 32 from last tournament, took their played movies aside, and then made up a list of all their horrors on Letterboxd (or nominated last year).

I ended up with 11 directors from last year’s pool with 6+ films so I added them automatically to the nomination pool. Here’s the list of directors, you can see their films on the spreadsheet. Feel free to name movies that should be added or distracted.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rzRuxycZQQAkq1VjkgDyqTpmhrN_uVRSyk5d4D0I7Ig/edit#gid=0

Dario Argento
Tobe Hooper
George Romero
Joe Dante
Stuart Gordon
Brian Yuzna
Ishiro Honda
William Castle
Larry Cohen
Roger Corman
Lucio Fulci

These two directors have 5 and an iffy 6. I dunno. I’ve always kind of thought Edward Scissorshands was horror adjacent but mostly because of the people attached to it. Pacific Rim I wouldn’t consider a horror but with a bunch of other kauji film in it seems viable. But I dunno.

Tim Burton (Sleepy Hollow; Frankenweenie)
1. Beetlejuice
2. Mars Attacks!
3. Corpse Bride
4. Dark Shadows
5. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
6. Edward Scissorhands?
7. Nightmare Before Christmas?

Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labrynth; Shape of Water; Devil's Backbone; Blade II)
1. Cronos
2. Crimson Peak
3. Hellboy
4. Hellboy II: The Golden Army
5. Mimic
6. Pacific Rim?

That leaves this pool of directors who don’t have 6 films, either because they went deep and burned too many movies, they didn’t have that many to begin with, or in the case of Alfred Hitchcock Letterboxd doesn’t think their movies are horror. So feel free to add movies to them and nominate them or add them to teams or ignore them. Your call.

The movies that are ineligible because they got played last year are in the brackets.

Brian DePalma (The Fury; Body Double)
1. Sisters
2. Carrie
3. Dressed to Kill
4. Phantom of the Paradise
5. Raising Cain

David Cronenberg (Dead Ringers; Shiver; The Fly; Videodrome; Rabid)
1. The Brood
2. Scanners
3. Dead Zone
4. Existenz

Alfred Hitchcock (Birds; Vertigo; Rebecca)
1. Psycho
2. Shadow of a Doubt
3. Frenzy

David Lynch (Lost Highway; Blue Velvet; Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me; Inland Empire)
1. Eraserhead
2. Mulholland Drive

Paul WS Anderson (RE: Afterlife; RE Retribution)
1. Resident Evil
2. Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
3. AVP: Alien vs Predator
4. Event Horizon

Bong Joon-Ho (Memories of Murder; Parasite; Host)
1. Mother

Bob Clark (Black Christmas; Deathdream)
1. Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things

Peter Jackson (The Frighteners; Dead Alive/Braindead; Bad Taste)
1. King Kong
2. Heavenly Creatures

FW Murnau (Faust; Haunted Castle)
1. Nosferatu

Sam Raimi (Army of Darkness; Evil Dead II; Drag Me to Hell)
1. Evil Dead
2. The Gift

Ridley Scott (Alien Covenant; Alien; Hannibal)
1. Prometheus

James Whale (Invisible Man, Frankenstein)
1. The Old Dark House
2. Bride of Frankenstein

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 7, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was actually just an accident. I did that list based off of Shreck's original spreadsheet from last time which had the top 32 and the movies they played and didn't. That's why for example Hitchcock has 3 films because those are the ones nominated last time and not played. Since Miike had all 6 of his films played I just skipped him. It wasn't deliberate, I skipped all the directors who had no extra movies like Russell or Jordan Peele. I just blanked that Miike probably has more horror.

According to Letterboxd that would be...

Takashi Miike
1) Visitor Q
2) Gozu
3) One Missed Call
4) Yakuza Apocalypse
5) Lesson of Evil
6) Izo
7) Terra Formers
8) Full Metal Yakuza
9) Multiple Personality Detective Psycho – Kazuhiko Amamiya Returns
10) Detective Story
11) Silver

That seems like more than enough but Miike's a weird one to categorize and I'm not sure about availablity so I'll let one of you folks with more familiarity look it over before I add it.

Incidentally I was thinking with "availability" that we might have like a 24 period with each round if somethig isn't available for it to be redrawn from the pool. That struck me when I was adding these ones like Argento and Corman that have so many options. It occurred to me some of them will be hard to find but it should be easy to identify that quickly and just "reroll" since there's such a large pool.

edit: It sounds like Pacific Rim is out. I'm tempted to just pair GdT and Burton up since that feels right to me. Except I just realized Nightmare Before Christmas isn't on that list once again asking the age old question. Christmas movie or horror movie?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 7, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Irony.or.Death posted:

That is a nice succinct way of phrasing my objection to it. Good :smug:, well done.

Edit: My nomination, because how could we not do it? The numbers are perfect. It's destiny.

Team David:

David Cronenberg
1. The Brood
2. Scanners
3. Dead Zone
4. Existenz

David Lynch
5. Eraserhead
6. Mulholland Drive

My only objection to this is I was assuming someone would do "Cronenberg & Son" with Possessor making such a splash.

Basebf555 posted:

An idea I had was putting GdT with James Whale, the stuff Del Toro still has left has a very gothic feel to it that I think would fit nicely with Old Dark House and Bride of Frankenstein.

That definitely works. I was thinking Whale/Browning but that's just based on age and yours does feel more thematically appropriate.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TrixRabbi posted:

Spielberg also has Something Evil, which is largely overlooked.
That gives Spielberg 6, which means by my frigid rules he can't be teamed up with Stephen Sommers. If we want to loosen those rules I'm open to it because I don't want this team thing to disengage people now that more people are expressing that its too complicated and weird.

TrixRabbi posted:

Personally I find the Teams function a little weird and unwieldy but if everyone else wants it then who am I to argue. My pitch was to choose 32 newcomers and 32 Second Chance directors who were eliminated in the first or second rounds last time, but this works too.
I was basically just trying to avoid the problem we had last time of repeating movies. But I've always been open to being told my idea is bad. I'm an overcomplicated kind of guy and I know it.

If we're going to run into a limit of contestants I'd have no problem cutting them out again, theres plenty of people who deserve inclusion and we might have more giallo than people can stomach.
I'm gonna do the big nomination seeding vote like Shreck did last year. So there's no such thing as too many noms. The ones that get votes will get in.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

This is a great call. I think it would also be a big help if, not now, but if those of us making teams could take the time to investigate the availability of their choices, that would be a great help. I plan on continuing to stream the films as they come up, so I will be very grateful to know about any potential problem films in advance.
Everyone preferred keeping the movie draws secret last time so I figured I'd do the same here, but I'm happy to keep you in the loop however ahead of time you want to be.

Franchescanado posted:

Does anyone want to bring back Brian De Palma for another go, this time? I had a hell of a fun time with his films.

I now realize we are not repeating any films. Critical reading skills. I have them. Sometimes.

He's still got 5 horror films I'd love to see added. Theoretically he'd have to be paired with someone unless we reject my team thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

The teams aspect is unwieldy now, but I do think it'll pay off once all the teams are established and we get this thing going. I'm looking forward to having like, a team or two that I will have a rooting interest in just like a real sport. And the fact that most of the teams were put together with some sort of common theme is important, the teams will make sense and won't feel random.

That's my thinking, and I figure as long as I keep track of it and can keep updating people on who is still on the board we should keep the wildness of this stage to a minimum. I think this will get fun at the next stage when like we have lists of people with 2-4 films and people are mixing and matching to get them. Right now I get that its all too big and overwhelming which is why I posted that Field of 32 list as a starting place.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MacheteZombie posted:

Nigel bach - all the bad ben movies

Letterboxd doesn't have anything for him listed so I'll need some kind of list or something. I'm unfamiliar with the whole Bad Ben thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think my tastes go really "poser" compared to most here so I'm gonna go ahead and post my convoluted teams I hope to sneak in as longshots.

Rustic Films - The name of Aaron Moorhead and Justin Benson’s production company. Moorehead and Benson have been one of my favorite recent entries into horror bringing emotional, offbeat, movies that don’t fit the traditionally gory, violent, or scary nature of horror but use horror elements to tell stories about love and friendship and brotherhood. And they’ve produced other young filmmaker’s first outings with similar approaches. They also made that skateboard skeleton skit in VHS Viral.

Aaron Moorehead & Justin Benson
1. Spring
2. Endless
3. Resolution

Amy Seimetz
4. She Dies Tomorrow

Jeremy Gardner & Christian Stella
5. After Midnight
6. The Battery

Radio Silence Productions - A collaboration of west coast directors made up primarily of Matt Bettinelli-Olpin, Tyler Gillett, Justin Martinez and Chad Villella who worked with other directors like David Bruckner to revitalize the horror anthology sub genre and give a bunch of future feature film directors their first major exposure. And now for better or worse they’re gonna make a Scream sequel.

Joe Swanberg, Matt Bettinelli-Olpin, Glenn McQuaid, David Bruckner, Tyler Gillett, Justin Martinez, and Chad Villella
1) V/H/S
2) Southbound

Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett
3) Ready Or Not
4) Devil’s Due

Glenn McQuaid
5) I Sell The Dead

Joe Swanberg
6) Silver Bullets

As Seen On V/H/S - Two directors who got some of their first exposure with V/H/S but went on to make an impression with their own films as well as working together on You’re Next.
Ti West
1) The House of the Devil
2) The Innkeepers
3) The Sacrament
4) The Roost

Adam Wingard
1) You’re Next
2) Death Note
3) Blair Witch
4) A Horrible Way To Die
5) The Guest

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Irony.or.Death posted:

I can see and respect the angle, but I like the feeling of continuity Team David provides; they met as rivals in the last tournament, but neither Lynch's humanism nor Cronenberg's clinical curiosity were enough to tie up the full package. Now they can set aside their differences and crush all comers. Part of it is also about the specific films they each have left to draw from - The Brood and Eraserhead are an interesting package. I'd be a lot more inclined to do Cronenberg & Son if Videodrome was still up to join Possessor.

Also, check this out:

The Nephilim
Brandon Cronenberg
1. Antiviral
2. Possessor
Jennifer Lynch
3. Surveillance
4. Hisss
5. Chained
Asia Argento
6. DeGenerazione

OK, Asia is maybe a stretch here since DeGenerazione is an anthology she directed one segment of and hell if I know whether it's available anywhere - open to other suggestions for the last spot.

You have both made a poetic case for Team David and found a poetic place for Son. Kudos.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know why I didn't find that the first time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean there's a Team Vulgær and Team Queer as gently caress You. So the field is wide open.

But now i want to form Team Rules.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tarnop posted:

Lost & Found

Erik Kristopher Myers
Butterfly Kisses

Stuart Ortiz
Grave Encounters

Elliot Goldner
The Borderlands

Phil Guidry / Simon Herbert / David Whelan
Savageland

Zachary Donohue
The Den

Joel Anderson
Lake Mungo

So Tarnop wants to separate the two directors who made Grave Encounters - Stuart Ortiz and Colin Minihan - and just nominate Ortiz because Minihan has 3 other solo films. Now that sits weird with me as a rules guy but like, I'm not gonna cry over Minihan's lost films and we all know we're not REALLY doing "best director." So if no one objects I'll allow this. Speak now or forever hold your peace.

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I would like to suggest pairing Hitchcock with James Whale based on the level of humour present in both directors films. I understand that there's a bit of competition for Whale though, so I don't want to snatch him up without getting a second opinion.

My list for Hitchcock would be as follows

(Hitchcock)
Psycho
Shadow of a Doubt
Frenzy
Rear Window
Rope

Basbef was thinking GdT/Whale as a "Team Gothic" thing which I liked. I was thinking GdT/Burton as a gotheic/creature thing. I was also thinking Whale/Browning as a "founding father" thing. Browning/Hitchcock could work. I'm open to all the combinations, i think they all kinda work with each other, but I'm not passionate about any of them. So if someone does feel passionate about something go for it.

Here's their lists

James Whale
1. The Old Dark House
2. Bride of Frankenstein

Tod Browning
1) Freaks
2) The Devil Doll
3) The Unknown
4) Mark of the Vampire

Guillermo del Toro
1. Cronos
2. Crimson Peak
3. Hellboy
4. Hellboy II: The Golden Army
5. Mimic

Tim Burton
1. Beetlejuice
2. Mars Attacks!
3. Corpse Bride
4. Dark Shadows
5. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 8, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

STAC, do you have the time to go through the last years holdover and label the directors that have already been picked? That would make it so much easier.
I'm probably gonna go through the first 32 eliminated tonight like I did the last 32. I also have a random list of "rookies" but I don't even know where that list came from. But that will probably be "Phase 3". I'm keeping track of what I post ona txt file and intend to keep "updating the board" as directors come off and some remain.

edit: Oh, you mean mark it on that old spreadsheet? Yeah, I can totally do that.

edit2: The dirty Holdovers list, the directors chosen blocked off in red. I'll try and produce a cleaner list soon.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TaE_a-8-ywzcr8NWXZ5pIPh7Ih-NsArBEJgs-XbuRTM/edit#gid=1112190447

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 8, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tarnop posted:

After some horse trading in the Discord, STAC Goat is going to put together a team with both Grave Encounters films in it and I will sub out Stuart Ortiz for Christopher MacBride with The Conspiracy

You're a good and reasonable sort.

Digital Interference - Another little collective of young directors, writers, and producers headlined by Colin Minihan who has written all 6 films and directed 4. They've put together an unassuming but interesting body of work the last decade or so. I don't expect it to go far but I think they're worth giving a chance.

Colin Minihan, John Poliquin, Kurtis David Harder, & Stuart Ortiz

Grave Encounters
Grave Encounters 2
What Keeps You Alive
Spiral
Extraterrestrial
It Stains The Sand Red

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm gonna spend an hour tonight going through the first 32 eliminated like him and do the same thing I did last night. Anyone who has 6+ like Fisher I'll add automatically. Others I'll post a list.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It has been added. I serve at the will of the people.

But this one's for me.

Creature Features - Ok, GdT lasted just long enough last go to burn his list down below 6. But that’s ok because GdT has written and produced a ton of poo poo so surely I can find something to fill out his team that actually involves him, right? Well I could have gone 100% “GdT Presents” here with some random one off films he wrote and/or produced but they're hard to watch so I decided to go with André Øvredal who worked with GdT on Scary Stories. Ovredal has two independent films that have nothing to do with GdT but as Tarnop pointed out to be Troll Hunter almost certainly drew GdT to Ovredal and may have been inspired by GdT as they feel very similar. So this pairing of Creature Designers feels right to me and its a bunch of films I absolutely love.

Guillermo del Toro
Cronos
Crimson Peak
Hellboy
Hellboy II: The Golden Army
Mimic

André Øvredal
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
The Autopsy of Jane Doe
Troll Hunter

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Irony.or.Death posted:

There are again some anthologies in here and I'm not entirely clear how we're dicing those up, but I'm throwing in everything letterboxd has to be safe:
I've thought about this a lot and that's what I'm doing too. I think with these solo directors who have massive catalogues its just easier to put everything in now, drag the movies, and if we can't access them or they shouldn't apply for some reason we just redraw them then. That feels easier than checking every one and litigating them now. Its different if its someone with a short catalogue but of a Director has 20 films and 10 of them are invalid we'll just redraw until we get a good one.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, first 32 eliminated from the first round have been tabulated.

7 had 6+ films and have been automatically nominated. Koji Shirashi, Don Coscarelli, Mary Lambert, Terence Fisher, Mike Flanagan, Herschell Gordon Lewis, and Kiyoshi Kurosawa.

Another 12 fell short. Jack Arnold, Tod Browning, William Lustig, Karyn Kusama, Yoshiaki Kawajiri, Jacques Tourneur, Ed Wood, Clive Barker, James Wan, Alexandre Aja. Lucky McKee, and Michele Soavi

Everyone else has already been nominated on their own or as part of a team.

I’ve created a second sheet and put them on it. I’m gonna add all the other “holdovers” who haven’t been chosen so you can easily check. I’m not really sure why I wasn’t doing that already.

After I add Trix's.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rzRuxycZQQAkq1VjkgDyqTpmhrN_uVRSyk5d4D0I7Ig/edit#gid=1138728559

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, I've transfered all the "Holdover" people (and a few others) to a second sheet of unnominated people. Some of them had enough movies for automatic nominations. Roy Ward Baker, Ruggero Deodato, David DeCoteau, Ryuhei Kitamura, Charles Band, and Herbert L Strock.

This would be a good time to mention a few format changes we've been discussing for the Tournament.

1) I'm leaning towards a Play In round. If you're not a sports fan that's simply 2 teams playing for 1 of the 64 slots. I feel like we all want to watch movies and we all want to see every entry get a chance... even the joke ones... so why not add a round where everyone gets at least 1 movie? We're still gonna vote for seedings and it will be important because we're not only voting to see where they seed in the tournament but effectively for byes past the play in round. This will extend the tournament a week or two (depending on how many we have) but it just means more movies so I assume everyone will be in. If not let me know.

2) As I mentioned, I've stopped double checking availability or eligibility of these solo directors' movies. It still matters for 6 qualification but after 6 I'm defaulting to waiting until its time for the tournament to worry about that. It seems like the easiest and most effective method. So if you want to nominate a director with a ton of movies you don't have to name them all. Nominate who you want and as long as they've got 6+ I'll handle it.

3) When the tournament is happening I'm gonna draw movies randomly each round like Shreck did. But I'm also gonna redraw them if they're impossible to watch or ineligible. This all might happen behind the scenes before anything's posted but I want to be open about it so there's no confusion.

4) Its been discussed that if a director has sequels of his own films i the pool then it makes sense that if a sequel is drawn to just default to the original, so there's no need to have to seek out the previous ones. So if Bad Ben 7 gets pulled we'll just watch Bad Ben instead. Sound kosher? This obviously won't apply if the previous film isn't in the director's pool. So if Mike Flanagan draws Doctor Sleep he obviously doesn't suddenly get a Kubrick film.

Sound good? Still lots of directors not nominated including people not on the sheet. If you have a favorite film or director and can't figure where to put them, post it. Maybe someone else will have an idea or help you out. We're up to 80 noms but there's no limit... it just makes the play in round a little longer which means more movies.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 8, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jaume Balagueró and Paco Plaza - The two Spanish directors made international hit [REC] together and made all their sequels, and both have had expansive careers including Plaza’s Veronica. This is fudging the rules a bit so if anyone objects I’ll pull the entry, but I can’t figure out how to separate the two and so much of their catalogue is linked it feels appropriate to put them together. Let me know if you disagree.

[REC]
[REC]²

Jaume Balagueró,
Sleep Tight
[REC]⁴ Apocalypse
Fragile
Darkness
The Nameless
Muse

Paco Plaza
Veronica
[REC]³ Genesis
A Christmas Tale
Romasanta: The Werewolf Hunt

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TrixRabbi posted:

Along with Jean Rollin and Jesus Franco I feel like this is gonna be a horror-softcore heavy tournament this time around.

I know there's a lot of heavy hitters who got eliminated early last time (Carpenter, Craven, Argento, etc.) who need another chance but I'd be down to exclude directors who made it to the third round or higher entirely (Cronenberg, Lynch, etc.) just to give more space to weirdos and obscurities.

edit: For reference, that would be Takashi Miike, Stuart Gordon, George Romero, Ishiro Honda, Bong Joon-ho, Chuck Russell, Ari Aster, Brian Yuzna, Ridley Scott, David Lynch, Sam Raimi, David Cronenberg, Alfred Hitchcock, Peter Jackson, Guillermo del Toro, Ken Russell and Larry Cohen. Not sure how people feel about that, but it would certainly ensure this tournament has a different feel with an emphasis on new or underexplored names.

If people want to ban Directors who went far I'm ok with that but here's my case for why I didn't do that.

1) That's why I want to do a play-in round, so at least each weirdo entry gets one shot to win people over.

2) This is only kinda a Director's tourney. Like people talked about doing movies or subgenres and I think they're all delivery systems to watch movies. I just though Directors was the easiest way to do it.

3) I don't think we necessarily sacrifice new stuff with the old guard. I'm as unfamiliar with Miike's deep library as any other entry. I do have some concerns that Team David will roll again but its one entry in a massive field. And you know... maybe by total chance the brackets might set up some knockouts or interesting matchups that resul in the same kind of blood bath we sa last time.

4) I think we'll get the same vibe towards offbeat entries and away from the traditional choices that we got last time. Its just that now the offbeats aren't people like Lynch, Cronenberg, Miike, and Russell. They're establishment now. So maybe they'll catch the same pushback?

I can't find Nicolas Roeg (Don't Look Now, The Witches, Cold Heaven, Puffball?) on any of the lists. Could be a nice time member.

I assume it goes without saying but the Unnominated pool is just a helpful tool. Of course ANY director/film that hasn't been nominated is eligible. That sheet is just names that were holdovers from the last tournament, have come up in here, or like last night I just went through my best rated horror films and added all the ones I thought deserved being added to see if they find homes.

I'm definitely finding teams for Revenge and As Above, So Below before noms close.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 8, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

At this point, might it behoove us to rework the thread to be "Horror Movie Bracketology 2021" or something? Since we keep developing so many teams, it being director-centric is misleading.

That's fine with me, but I can't do that in the thread title.

My spreadsheet is now Spook A Doodle Horror Bracketology II - Coming in 2021 for whatever its worth.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

What have I done?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Just watched Sputnik. Was pretty good. Realized there's no russian representation in here. 91 nominees. We're past the point of restraint. Why the hell not?

In Russia Doodle Spook You

Egor Abramenko
Sputnik

Georgiy Kropachyov, Konstantin Ershov
Viy

Svyatoslav Podgaevsky
The Bride
Baba Yaga
The Mermaid: Lake of the Dead
Queen of Spades: The Dark Rite

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't realize we doubled up. Sorry, Deb. Beast has to stay on Zuwalski's team.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually misread that. I thought Trix was saying Beast was a Zuwalski movie.

It looks like the cleanest movie is what Trix said. And adding Cosmos to his team would make him have to cut one spot anyway.

Sorry, I just woke up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I figured I'd give it at least to the end of the week. I started the thread early specifically to work out the kinks and deal with any complications or lure people in. I assumed we were still looking at January as a start date. I don't want to start before Christmas at least. But we can give nominations til the end of the week, do a week with seeding, and then figure out any "Play In" rounds we might want to do*.

So maybe Monday the 14th as a deadline for noms? Then I'll put a seeding vote together that can take us through Christmas and we can set our bracket and field in the week up to New Years? Or do we want to speed up the process? I tend to be methodical so you folks feel free to push me if you think I'm moving too slow.

There's still a LOT of big names and movies in the Unnominated Pool.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rzRuxycZQQAkq1VjkgDyqTpmhrN_uVRSyk5d4D0I7Ig/edit#gid=1138728559

*My original idea was something along the lines of 60 entries are chosen and everyone else plays for the last 4 spots. That way every entry gets at least one movie to sink or swim. Realistically we just have too many entries to do that. We'd be doing Play In rounds for a month and we'd need like 10 spots unless everything was an 8 way. So we're gonna just have to figure it out after we seed. The simplest solution is to just include anyone who gets stray votes and if too many to just pick the top X who do. I also figured we might default to the teams over the individuals since there's more thought, passion, and diversity in them. But all of this will be easier to sort out after we do a seeding vote and see who is in and who is out.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 9, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

Honestly? A whole month of play-in rounds sounds fun. It would also give us a chance to spread the word around CineD and beyond for participants.

Like I said, I think it will be easier to talk out once we do the seeding. Then we can see what we're actually working with and if we feel compelled to play them all. It might be a lot of great films and teams people put interest in, or it might be a bunch of directors I added automatically who no one felt compelled to give a vote. So I'm just kind of leaving that part on the back burner for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm open to however we want to do it. I just think it will be easier to hash out when its tangible instead of theory. And if we're in no rush then we can spend a whole week after Christmas just figuring it out with most of our field set and just figuring out math and schedules.

The sheer number of the noms is gonna be something to work out though. Because we're at 92 right now with a lot of directors/movies left. If we stopped right now and included everyone we'd basically have to run a separate 32 nominee field for the last 4 spots of the 64 or something. Which maybe we'll decide to do but the math is gonna take a minute to figure out once its set.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 9, 2020