Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Voting why no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Some of those are good!

Some of them are great even!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

Yes, yes... this is true. God, the US Varan was terrible and offensive, and offensive in the kind of way that isn't so in your face and overt but rather that really worse way that a bunch of people will fight with you and say there's nothing wrong and you can't make ground because they won't acknowledge the subtle and not subtle aggressions. Ugh. Wish I hadn't watched it. No one make the mistake I did. I guess I do have new found respect for Honda's Varan and the Burr Godzilla KOTM. But that's a low rear end bar for this film.

The weird thing is I'd almost say its a better constructed film than Honda's. like there's a plot and characters. But oh my god that plot and character are the worst.

I waaaaaaaaaaaaarned you

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
First, this is not a defense of Varan.

If anything I wouldn't have included Varan at all, regardless what version. But it counts, so it gets included.

Your time scale is a bit off Fran- Varan was 1958, not 8 years later. That might seem even more insane- only 4 years after Gojira, 2 years after Rodan, what in the world happened? This even predates Mothra and many of his great films from the 60s, and is concurrent with some of his other 50s greats! And its not just the direction- the effects are worse, the picture quality is kind of really bad, and the picture is in black and white despite Rodan being, again, two years prior.

If something smells, you'd be right. That stench is a convoluted mess of bullshit and fuckery.

So let's paint the picture. 1956, Godzilla King of the Monsters is an international sensation. Godzilla becomes a house hold name. Fantastic, great cool yeah okay let's go. You know what else is becoming a household phenomenon? TV! So an American TV network goes, yo! This monster movie stuff is great! Let's go talk with Toho and get one made specifically for TV that we'll co-finance and air everywhere!

So they go over to Toho and Toho goes, yeah I guess sure. Yo, Honda, take a month and go film this. Tsuburaya, get your B Team together, grease up the actors let's go. Here's some poo poo equipment that we're not using anymore because who gives a poo poo, this isn't going to be seen on a big picture. Oh what's that Tsuburaya, you absolutely hate the conditions you're having to work under because everything is going to look cheap and fake as hell and you don't have time to make it look right, nor the budget? Well you see, it's going to be on TV, so no one cares get it done. Sorry Honda, you get black and white cameras with no sound equipment that might be worse than what you shot Gojira with. It's going to be on TV and they're all black and white so who cares.

Oh what's that, the TV studio went bust and that entire deal is now busted?

Well. poo poo. Movie's already too far in production to stop. Can't do anything about it being black and white, but we'll pan and scan the footage and just make it wide screen I'm sure that won't make the lovely footage look worse.

Oh did I mention the month time frame to make the movie?

I made that joke in discord, then I checked because I realized that sounded right to me for some reason. I was wrong, it wasn't a month

Unless you count February. 28 days is all this movie was given.

When they realized they were stuck with this turd going to theaters, they tried to shoot a few more scenes to give it, you know, a story, but you've seen the results. Tsuburaya's annoyance with the whole venture is well known, but even Ishiro Honda, one of the most loyal directors around, was extremely unhappy with everything and with Toho for doing this. The entire movie was a giant stumble backwards since Toho had already moved into proper wide screen AND color film, and the result is as evident as anything.

And then in the 1960s some Americans grabbed the film and made it racist as all hell.

Just really brought out the shining racism and White Savior Knows Best bullshit.

Couldn't have happened to a better movie

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Creature from the Black Lagoon is an astounding feat of filmmaking. You will not see better underwater monster stuff from that era, or any other.

I want you to think about the logistics of many of the shots when you watch it, think about how the creature never lets air bubbles escape, think about how much work every single shot took.

The story is a riff on King Kong, but the visuals are what win the day across the board.

Scanners has A Moment, Creature is made of gorgeous shots and stunts

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Franchescanado posted:

Hell to the gently caress yes.

It is the correct place to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
See, the thing is, I think Eli DOES love Oskar genuinely.

The deal with Eli is that she is frozen in place as who she was. She will never not be a twelve year old girl, no matter what she experiences and how the world changes around her. That's the price of immortality- you are frozen as you are, forever. You can no longer grow or change, because that is for the living.

Which means that eventually Oskar will outgrow her and their dynamics will shift. Which means the cycle we've already seen with her continues until she meets a new Oskar X years down the road.

Because unlike her, Oskar cannot remain the same. Just because she genuinely loves him doesn't mean that it isn't horrific in its own right, because especially with vampires, such things have their cost. There is a tragedy to these things, one she cannot escape and Oskar cannot grasp. He is temporary, while she is not.