Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Part 12: "Five Years" is a Suggestion

We're at April 1, 1975. It's time to evaluate where we're at with our Five Year Plan:
    :siren:Third Five Year Plan(April 1, 1970 - April 1, 1975):siren:
  • Become truly resource independent.
    Carried over from before, but now with a heightened focus. This is much more reasonably attainable in this timeframe, including things like chemicals and electronic components.
    Success Criteria: Finished goods used in construction or by consumers should be produced domestically. Fuel is the most major focus.
    Evaluation:Adequate progress, not amazing. We make fuel and bitumen and that's important, but nothing else is really new here. We're imminently planning on chemicals and mechanical parts, but as of April 1, 1975, they're not even laid out.

• We need to expand our construction offices and road infrastructure.
    Success Criteria: Ongoing evaluation of infrastructure - it is hoped that paved highways could stretch across the entire Republic - but this has started to become secondary to more crucial goals.
    Evaluation: Very good progress. With the availability of domestically produced bitumen, we've paved from one border to all the cities excepting Klibruysk. It is not truly border to border coverage, but we're edging ever closer to having a truly modern highway system. There will need to be a committee convened to reorganize some supporting infrastructure - it's not certain we have good gas station and snow plow coverage - and those will become highly important once our citizens are afforded personal vehicles. Construction offices can cover large portions of the region, now, but making sure that they're provided with adequate supplies and labor is still in process. This ended up being the largest use of our time in this five year period, as it takes a long time to get trucks out to distant depots.

• Our Republic's infrastructure should be the envy of the world.
    While we must first pay off our loans and spend money in material upgrades to the Zbir Autonomous Region, we must not neglect the aesthetic quality of our settlements or even our industrial areas. Bring beauty to the region.
    Success Criteria:To be evaluated by committee - beauty, after all, is in the eye of the collective beholders.
    Evaluation: Good! See the photos in the large photo update (#10.) While "Envy of the World" might be pushing it, we've made some strides toward making sure nothing is outright ugly. There is always work to be done for this goal, though.

• Create a rail network.
    This is the most critical goal for the next five years. Part of this will involve moving some of our initial industries (brick making, prefab panels) to places more easily served by rail.
    Success Criteria:Every major city should be connected by rail. All industries should be served by rail.
    Evaluation: Good Progress, but unfinished. We're near done moving a lot of the old industries and getting them hooked up to rail access, but we don't yet have local depots build for construction goods. We do, on the other hand, have cargo stations set up for consumer goods - so we only need to finish the new food, meat, and clothing factories to be able to transport those to local rail cargo stations. Trunk lines span from near Brelov to Miergeni and are expanding all the time. Rail construction is approaching a few more crucial bridges - but luckily there isn't much on the far side of those rivers yet, so we're ahead of the game.

So overall...? Kinda good. This is a hard one to personally evaluate. I don't feel like we got a lot done in this five years that was really explosive progress like the first two five year splits - but that makes sense, because now we're getting tentacles further out and things take much longer. As well, much of the work that we did accomplish in this period is super important to enable future development easily. Duplicating industries in a new spot seems a little counter productive, but as I keep hammering, they'll be better there. We've also got a new settlement (Nowy Brelov) and are expanding Bratwice somewhat so that it has the labor to help with some light industry (at least, light in terms of labor use.) Our rail network is pretty expansive now, but there's actually very few trains running on it because of the lack of stops. Altogether I feel pretty good, and I wish we could have had maybe one or two more years before the five year self-eval to really look at what we've done. There's also some vaguely 'hidden' progress - We purchased new truck fleets which are much more efficient in delivering goods, we're debt free and exporting steel, fuel, and bitumen as the stores of those fill out. I did a lot of decorating work too, but there's always more of that to do and there will definitely be more soon.

I do have some goals lined up for the next 'five year period' but I feel like I want to wait until I finish the current set, so I'm not going to strictly define the next 5 year plan quite yet so I don't feel the need to include things that we've already been dragging along like the rail network 'completion' and that. I am really close to being able to say that all of the 'early game bad planning' is nearly cured, and I want to get there before I start thinking ahead. (These 'bad planning' decisions aren't necessarily bad - just a necessity while working in a small area.) Paying off that technical debt is a huge win for me personally.

So ultimately - a really short, no pictures update - but I didn't want to miss evaluating according to The Plan. I'll be finishing up the work mentioned and estimate maybe a late 1976-1977 start for our next 'five year' plan.

We're also at roughly 'half length' of the game if you count sometime in the early 90's as 'endgame' - but for the first time I'm not getting antsy about the savegame and feeling like I want to restart, which is great! I bring it up, though, because while I will very likely still play this save beyond the 'end' date, if there's any fun projects or requests you want to see, now might be the time to let me know - especially if they're sizable. There is a likelihood that the LP would slow quite a bit or even end post in-game year 2000 unless I'm still way unfinished with some of my goals. I don't intend to go off the rails into a crazy challenge mode, but my true 'end game' goal is:
  • Be able to produce all my own vehicles.
  • Airports, aircraft, tourism.
  • Make every resource domestically.
  • Fully linked passenger rail system between cities (even if its mostly useless because of passenger logic).
  • Nuclear energy!
  • A big fat beautiful metropolis.
  • Fancy decoration republic-wide.
  • Highway and rail that connects every border and such.

And I had a couple suggestions throughout:
  • Klibruysk resort (yes)
  • Mountain resort (probably yes)
  • Lots of personal cars (yes)
  • Stack interchange (maybe I'll try again)
  • More Building Signs (okay this is stupid easy except now I have to make up Polish names.)

If there's anything you're interested in seeing me do - either because if you want to know if its possible, or it sounds cool but you don't have the patience, or whatever, lemme know and I'll give it a whirl. Like I said, I won't be going on any super insane challenges (other than I might try to get real fancy with it when I make the capitol/metropolis) but just fishing for suggestions! :)

1970-1975 Statistics

Production and Consumption.

Average 1 year production. NOTE: Not 5 years! I didn't want to click to set the start/end date again. Crops and related industries are a little inflated as they're duplicate production in 1975.

Import/Export. Any vehicle exports are sales. I use autobuy sparingly - usually when we run into a really nasty chokepoint that I want to clear. (Often roads.) There are also a few larger autobuys in there that were mistakes -I am still trying to save a good deal of money for blueprints, so autobuy is still mostly verboten. You can see, I've spent a *ton* of money on vehicles.

Population.

Deaths over the period - don't recall what that spike would have been. I'm sure heating related, but don't remember a big incident..

Escapes - I'm sure I know where that spike came from. I was throwing labor at Miergeni before it was truly 'livable' to get it on its feet. It worked great!

Education. Almost all adults have a university education!

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Hey I'm gonna play a little and not doing anything so I'm throwing the stream up while I play tonight.

https://twitch.tv/animestoreadventure

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

Evaluation: Good! See the photos in the large photo update (#10.) While "Envy of the World" might be pushing it, we've made some strides toward making sure nothing is outright ugly. There is always work to be done for this goal, though.

:catstare:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
drat I only now saw this. I would have loved to play alongside you again to pick your brain.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Deadmeat5150 posted:

drat I only now saw this. I would have loved to play alongside you again to pick your brain.

Super unlucky, my game just crashed finally so I called it quits for the night.

I'll probably try to do another stream tomorrow or over the weekend.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Deadmeat5150 posted:

its OK, I gave enough poo poo posting for the both of us.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Volmarias posted:

its OK, I gave enough poo poo posting for the both of us.

Excellent work.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I am glad a few of y'all are enjoying the streams. They've been a lot of fun because usually city builders are such a solo exercise. Usually I'd listen to podcasts or something, but its fun to have some folks interested in watching now and then. Please let me know if there's anything that becomes super grating or weird. I feel like I may often move too fast to let you all see what I'm doing sometimes, or click around like a psychopath because I'm mentally checking some bizarre thing that's not obvious.

Things that are super grating do not include making pretty designs, Volmarias. :colbert:

I have a few friends that have harassed the poo poo out of me recently because through the entire rise of LP's and Twitch I swore I'd never do either, and. Oops. :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Uh, not super grating for YOU perhaps.

"Oh no my industrial dream scapes are not 100% the platonic ideal if a coal plant layout, oh no, I must punish myself for this road which cuts though which is literally the only way to do this on the absolutely most optimal design"

Please do continue though.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

What the game needs is more acceptable 90 degree corners that don’t look janky or require you to make and then delete one leg of a T intersection.

I would bitch so much less if only for that.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
What it needs is the ability to snap to a grid.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Deadmeat5150 posted:

What it needs is the ability to snap to a grid.

Snap to grid is an imperialist plot.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I was going to play the New Hotness Dyson Sphere Program, but I'm imbibing Capitalism Juice and that doesn't play well with learning a new game with some Engrish-y translations.

So I guess I'm streaming again.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I was going to play the New Hotness Dyson Sphere Program, but I'm imbibing Capitalism Juice and that doesn't play well with learning a new game with some Engrish-y translations.

It behooves you to try, it's Very Very Good, and everything is on a grid.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

I'd love to watch a let's play of that - factorio-ish games (but in SPACE) aren't my thing for playing, but I do like to watch them being played.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Lynneth posted:

I'd love to watch a let's play of that - factorio-ish games (but in SPACE) aren't my thing for playing, but I do like to watch them being played.

Unfortunately not something I’d probably consider LPing, but given the sudden boom in popularity I wouldn’t be surprised to see a goon give it a whirl.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

I was going to play the New Hotness Dyson Sphere Program,

the what

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

the what

Dyson Sphere Program is a new release that’s basically Factorio Kinda, and it’s grabbing a ton of attention from the management/builder games crowd.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Another stream tonight because I really want to lay out both new industries and towns. A good one to watch if you want to see my design, a bad one to watch if you like to see stuff moving. (I'll probably spend a long, long time paused laying out things.)

Also a warning that tonight is also a Capitalism Juice night. This might mean more fun mistakes and swearing, or unexpected "wooaaah its time to go to bed."

Planning another big thread update tomorrow afternoon.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Updated update #12 with some numbers upon request from someone during the livestream. Getting those for a 5 year period sucks, so much clicking to get the date period set right. UX designers please. New update to follow, I just wanted to alert to those adds.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Update 13: Accelerating Again

The last 5 year period was a lot of 'prep' for the explosion of activity we've got started now. There's still some of that 'prep' work finishing up - our rail connections are still in process, but we're eyeing spots for new rail construction offices if convenient. We still need to build some local cargo depots for trains to go to, but it's coming together quickly as of late summer/early autumn 1976. The new 'duplicate' industries are basically running on their own, rail is close to being done for the food, clothing, and liquor industries - this will be a big clean up.

The last harvest of these fields - going away next year along with the industries.

Remember when this corridor was blocked by cement and prefabs factories? Now we can build the rail line in the right spot!

No more brick factory! This will slightly, at least, improve pollution in Kopalnia.

And no more quarry!

The new industries have come together well. There's plenty of space dedicated for the farms with room to expand. I assume at some point, if we go really big, we might need a second field area, but that's awhile down the road for certain. The new quarries, brick factory, and prefabs factory are all operational and just waiting for us to get off our rear and build the cargo and aggregate stations to deliver gravel and goods to. For now we've just pointed the trucks we had at them. It's not as well designed for a hoard of trucks, so there's some traffic issues, but those are livable for now. Not to mention, we've got new Kamaz trucks and modernized our entire fleet. The new food, liquor, and clothes industries are also rail accessible and have much expanded capacity compared to the old ones, so they'll be permanent fixtures compared to the old set. Meat was something the chairman forgot when designing that complex, so that's become its own complex just nearby. It actually worked out nicely, and I'm very happy with the meat complex aesthetically. (Children love the Meat Complex.)

New trucks - sexy.

The new farm area needs a few extra access roads for congestion reasons - but it's working great already! (This might be the longest truck conga I've made.)

New food, clothing, and fabric factories. A large distillery too, in the back.

Meaaaaaaaat. Still under heavy construction, obviously.

The new quarry, prefabs, and brick facility. The same location as last save's construction industries - what can I say, I like it there.

There's also new developments planned again, finally. Now that we've gotten the new construction depots completed, we need to make sure that they have an adequate workforce. For one, we've made the decision to scrap the village of Brelov (sorry, Brelov fans) and move its population to Nowy Brelov, near to the depot there.

Brelov Construction Depot with the brand new town behind it.

Nowy Brelov. Obviously still lacking in pretty-ing-up love.

Nowy Brelov is near where we had originally planned to put the refinery. I'm not sure if that's still the plan - but for now, we aren't worried about building a second refinery - what we have is fine. We are moving the wood industry near here, though, so that we can use the land it currently occupies near Gliwilystok for tourism. This also is likely our launching point for building our eventual nuclear industry - the republic's best uranium deposits are near the southern border here. Ultimately, there will be some 'spare' labor here for a bit until we dedicate more to the area. It'll also be only just across the river from our large metropolis, so it may simply serve as a good source for construction labor for that project.

The new wood industry.

But wait, there's more!

We've added a new oil field just over the hill from the refinery and steel mill. We don't necessarily need it, but the construction depots in this area are relatively idle right now, so its as good a time as any to exploit it. We'll pump this to the refinery and end up exporting more bitumen and fuel.

I drink your milkshake.

We're also working on a new, yet to be named city. It is on the north shore of the river, east and slightly to the north of Sejov. This is near another oil patch, which we'll use to make plastics and chemicals - crucial components in making the only resources we aren't yet producing domestically. They'll also be components in making our own vehicles.

The new town.

This expansion is one of the last starts toward true resource independence. Once we produce chemicals and plastics, all we have left are electric components and electronics - at least not including the nuclear chain or aluminum for planes. But we'll be able to make radios, televisions, and cars for our people sooner than later if we can get this new town pumping out a few of the crucial components.

--

Drawing closer to feeling good about setting the next round of goals, but there's a really, really long tail on getting the last things finished up. At this point, I'm considering spending some Rubles to autobuild the more distant train tracks that are hangups on getting some of these industries moving by rail. That said, we're getting back to a point where my construction fleets are pretty well engaged. It's not like it was at the start, but there's still times when entire construction offices are empty as building happens. That's about as much as we can ask for. I took a great deal of time last night to make sure each depot had something to work on (there's almost always something I can think of to do in any area - a depot shouldn't sit entirely idle for long or I'm not doing my job.) Things have started to feel, though, like they're building back up to that break-neck pace. I've been pausing a lot to set things up and now it feels like growth again. I'm not sure if there's a way to avoid what 'feels' like a slowdown at times, like parts of 70-75 did, but part of that was definitely a result of trying to prevent going deep into debt to continue moving at the crazy pace I was prior to that.

Going to have to have another good long session of beautifying soon, too. I've been doing a lot of the mechanical/functional work and building up a backlog of making things look nice.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 24, 2021

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Streaming again tonight, stop by.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Forgot to include this extreme brag:

I've never gotten a steel mill this consistently productive.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Forgot to include this extreme brag:

I've never gotten a steel mill this consistently productive.

that is a drat fine steel mill.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Log082 posted:

that is a drat fine steel mill.

Thank you I am proud of it.

I invited a real life buddy to watch a bit tonight who doesn't like city builders or train games and I made a terrible meme.

I'm sorry. I was proud of this train interchange. Don't mind the X crossing to the west, that was for track builders, but this is fully non-blocking. (Spoilered for NSFW)

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Ive put aside the micro of W&R for that sweet sweet DSP, but that is still a sexy train cross.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I should be going to bed but the Football Team I Like didn't do The Thing I Wanted so its time to drown my sorrows in games.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Been a slow week for having time to play games and couldn’t focus for W&R, but now it’s the weekend baby woo and I am close to getting some cool new industries running. Will stream in ~30min or so, and a thread update tomorrow or Sunday.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Live shortly!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Oh god this is still alive I promise.

I’ve both had a bit limited of game time and last week I got a 3080, so I’ve had to spend a ton of time in flight sim, VR and looking at various games that are purdy.

Not that W&R isn’t - but I don’t think Ray tracing is high on their list.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Good, good, I feared you had been taken hostage by the capitalists.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Only by giant Dyson Sphere building mechas.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Part 14: What You've Been Missing

I've been playing a lot and having a ton of fun and there's a ton going on. Unfortunately, that's made it much harder to stop and write about! Among other distractions. We've blown straight into 1979 and I'm not planning on another strict '5 year plan' now - Things are kind of moving too fluidly, and further, I lost some real in-game time to getting back in the driver's seat after that hiatus. I'm not so bothered by that now - I could have spent more time paused and really exploiting the time, but I've got too much momentum in the save to let that bother me and I feel like I was, more or less, 'beating' my personal time challenge. But anyway - you're not here for boring crap about the methods? Let's see some factories, baby.

Children love the meat factory.

It looks so nice.

The meat plant is running at full efficiency now near Miergeni and the food, clothing, and alcohol complex. I was very happy with how this complex turned out and was going to really go all out with the fine detailing and get some beauty shots, but this was a pretty crushing learning experience once I started. For much of the fine detailing to work, everything has to be totally flat. You can kind of fudge it, but it gets frustratingly fiddly for an activity that's already pretty fiddly. Still, I really like it. I enclosed it with a fence and used a 'checkpoint' mod that functions as a bus stop. The buses stop outside the gate, and pedestrians leave on the opposite side of the building, like a sort of check-in. Very neat.

Miergeni's newest expansion.

Miergeni got a population upgrade. In retrospect, I feel like I would have preferred to redo this city, but I had initially decided to keep the old town intact. It's a pain - built on enough of a slope to cause issues, not an efficient road lay out. That said, once I do a pass for prettying up the new areas, I think it'll be good enough I can call it 'done' and accept it being the black sheep city, kinda. New highway on the left there, too.

The old fields.

Now that Miergeni is supporting a rail connected food, meat, clothing, and alcohol hub, we've cleared out the old fields between Bratwice and Gliwilystok. You can see we've reforested some on the area in the bottom of this picture near to the railway and highway and built a new construction supply depot for the southwest corner of the map here. The plain in the middle is likely to support some of our heavier industry - Gliwilystok has a lot of excess labor right now and even some room to further expand quite easily. This would be perfect to support a car factory or something of the sort. But we do have some new 'industry' near here.

Who's riding boats??

Tourists, that's who!

This area used to house our lumber industry, but now that that's moved to Nowy Brelov, we can use this beautiful lake shore to dip our toes into tourism. It's not a particularly lavish area by any stretch - but it does bring in good money. More importantly, it's a good 'testbed' for "Hey, how do I get tourists around? How much will they want to try to travel? What attractions do they use?" and those sorts of questions. They're pretty isolated to this little area (though there is a bus over to the shops and cathedral tour attraction in Gliwilystok) so it'll give us some insight into how exactly they 'work.'

Bratwice 2.0 or "Don't Build One City Across a Highway"

Bratwice is bigger now and we've gotten rid of some of the smaller houses. In setting up some new industries, its been decided that the current refinery is the forever refinery, despite earlier intent to move it. Bratwice really needed to expand to provide some extra workers - Sejov still provides quite a bit on its own. Bratwice also supports the mechanical parts factory, tucked nicely in by the railway there. This town technically works fine, but having two 'split' villages across the highway just gets a bit confusing. I already have plenty of cities that require transit for citizens to get to services, but something about Bratwice not having a real main/high street area just makes it that much harder to think about to make sure each residence can reach each service. Further complicating things is that we send university students to Sejov by bus from here, and the town has no passenger rail link of its own because of the proximity to Sejov and the station there. This isn't necessarily a problem, but its much easier to solve a lot of those niggling "Can they get to what they need?" questions when you can sweep everyone into a train and then just make sure that train can reach services instead of having to play with complicated or multiple bus routes.

Chemicals!

From the side.

Nowy Brelov has a whole workforce not yet tapped. If you recall, this was originally going to be the refinery town. There's a small oil patch here and it's relatively central to the entire map's oil reserves. So, whether piped or carried by rail, it made sense as the 'place to take oil.' That plan shifted, though - our refinery is pumping out enough fuel to support our entire Republic and some future growth on the two oil fields it has right now, with a third completely untapped that can be fed to it with relative ease (if a lot of steel and mechanical parts.)

One thing that still needs oil that we aren't yet producing, though, is chemicals. And two (mod) chemical plants is a full 400 workers. I suspect we'll need at least two, as chemicals feed into a lot of other important end products. So instead, we're going to put our chemical factories here and finish up the only 'goods' chain we're missing - aside from aluminum and nuclear, which I consider more 'specialty.' We still really need to produce electronics and electric components, though - 1979 and our people don't know radio or television.

So we'll need to finish the new town.

And set up plastics, electric components, and electronics factories.

The town is yet to be named, but this will serve the last of our 'goods' industries just over the hill to the north from the picture of the city. It's a bit of an oddly shaped town - again, just kind of trying different looks to see what sticks. I have been dutifully avoiding everything I've learned about microdistricts - when I get to the Big Fuckoff Capitol I'm going to really try to focus on building that way. The smaller town approach I've taken where I build a town (or in the case of Kopalnia and North Kopalnia, two more or less separate 'towns' that just happen to but against each other) kind of precludes me wanting to set up microdistricts, because there's not much opportunity for me to really separate local and 'central' services meaningfully. The same goes for transit, as a result. With a few very limited exceptions: A few very long commutes to remote fire stations, and Bratwice's buses to Sejov, there really isn't much regional passenger transit. I do think when I start building a real city, I can apply the microdistrict more readily.

Regardless, this is the last big factory complex that needs to go up beyond the vehicle factories and the nuclear and aluminum chains. I'm really pressing to get that done - especially because I've flattened that area and plan on giving it some good detailing. I've sort of opted to skip some of the really intense detailing for some of the other towns - I'll touch them up, certainly, but I don't plan on going as crazy as I did. Mostly because I want to really put that energy into building a grand metro, which I want to detail, and which will be the real 'magnum opus' of the LP and the save. I'll spend some time getting other cities up to an acceptable level, but I'm going to skip things like building walls and posters and flags - that effort belongs to the capitol. Not to mention, finding out how much of an annoyance those decorations can be on anything but ultra flat terrain is a huge pain in the rear end, and a lot of my existing factory complexes and towns were not built ultra flat, just flat enough. I absolutely could just work around it, but it's just fiddly enough to not want to care for those areas.

There's lots of rail traffic, now.

Glad to have fancy intersections!

The rails are getting pretty busy and there's a lot of trains still to add. Now that I've got some semi-local construction depots and local consumer goods warehouses such that trucks really only operate 'last mile' deliveries, I'm extremely glad to have nonblocking intersections. I did have to add a slight modification to the design Veloxyll shared, though. I've added a very close second regular signal at each exit. There may be a more elegant way to do this, but adding this second signal lets trains start moving immediately instead of waiting for the exiting train to clear the next block. I think that very technically this could create some race condition wherein the intersection could become blocked, but this would have to be an insane edge case. Given the time it takes any of my trains to accelerate after waiting at the interchange, once that tiny block at the exit is cleared, the next train still ends up well behind the first train. I wonder if a better way to do this isn't to actually make the last chain signal before an exit into a regular signal, but I didn't want to reason out the edge cases of that.

--

So! I've sort of dispensed with the 5 year plans, but I do have some goals in mind. First and foremost, I want to finish total resource independence. This is tantalizingly close - I really just need to finish up that last factory complex and get it supplied and staffed. Next and related is getting electronics to my people. They don't really need it, but I feel guilty for my virtual people as I deprive them of their radios and televisions. Close after that will be getting private cars available. I have these great big western-style highways and no one to drive on them! I've already begun fitting in some parking lots into my existing towns where I can.

After that, there's really three big remaining missions to conquer:
  • The nuclear power chain - This is probably going to be the next big focus. I could build another coal plant, but I'm close to being able to get started on this chain and we're very close to maxing out our power plant. In fact, if things align just right we can get some brownouts already. This doesn't happen frequently (at least, from how I've observed,) so its OK for now, but we're threateningly close to really breaking our grid. This is going to require at least one more small town near Brelov for Uranium mining. (I planned a bigger city, but it may not need it as I can likely leverage Brelov for anything other than the on-site mining.)
  • Air travel - I'm not hyperfocused on producing my own (though I do consider this something I 'need' to do before the save is 'complete,') but I do want to set up at the very least one sizable, nice looking airport for the Republic. Adjacent to this is obviously getting aluminum produced as well.
  • The Big One: The central metro. Getting a large, central metro area working and supplied by domestic industry is going to be a huge challenge, but to me, it feels like the ultimate goal of the game. Setting up relatively dispersed, 'town' sized supply chains isn't too hard. Build a little slack in your lines and you can pretty well weather all but the most major hiccups in the system. I think both laying out the metro usefully, aesthetically, and to be readily supplied both with tourists, regional trains, and supplies will be a lot of fun and a huge 'late game' challenge. I'll be 'starting' on this soon as well, but I suspect that this could be a 20-game-year project, at least.

--

My goal is to do another update this weekend but my gaming time is a bit less W&R these days. I really do have an attachment to the save and want to see it through, but it's a lot harder to not split my time with other games now that I got some new, fancy gaming hardware. I think I have a hard stop on this mid-March, as an FYI. With my new hardware and VR I want to jump into the new iRacing season that starts around then and I think it'll eat a lot of my gaming time. (Am I in the top 10% of 'goons guiltiest about LP progress' yet?)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

But anyway - you're not here for boring crap about the methods? Let's see some factories, baby.

:neckbeard:

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
I'm definitely gonna need that modded chemical factory, assuming it's not too cheaty. I made a complex of four vanilla factories that works okay but scaling it up would be a huge pain even though it's absolutely necessary given how much stuff needs chemicals.

That said I really do love how in this game you don't just plop down a factory and call it a day, but rather you often find yourself designing an entire complex of a factory and related buildings.

Pornographic Memory fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 11, 2021

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Pornographic Memory posted:

I'm definitely gonna need that modded chemical factory, assuming it's not too cheaty. I made a complex of four vanilla factories that works okay but scaling it up would be a huge pain even though it's absolutely necessary given how much stuff needs chemicals.

That said I really do love how in this game you don't just plop down a factory and call it a day, but rather you often find yourself designing an entire complex of a factory and related buildings.

Yeah the little factory complexes are my fav part, honestly.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Pornographic Memory posted:

I’ll be honest I haven’t dutifully checked that it’s ratios are in line with the vanilla one, but its part of Rob074’s mods which have all been very high quality and his other factories are in line, so I have no reason to believe this one isn’t.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

There probably are some edge cases, but if it works, whatever!

Yay factories and trains!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-14

Hey remember that weird bug with chain signals at stations?

Another fix we made relates to double rail stations and chain signals. Often when two trains arrived at chain signals next to the station at the same time, the signals sent them to the same rail and caused them to deadlock each other. Now this should not happen as they should send each train to different rail if it is free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

They're making decent progress. Wind turbines were introduced recently, I look forward to designing a town where the turbine blades somehow end up functioning to push pollution right into the residential areas.