Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Grand Fromage posted:

Someone should mod monowire to work like a grappling hook for the full Doom Eternal conversion.

i do not understand how only just now at this moment do i realize how much fun a grappling hook would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Beat the game as a netrunner, took down Smasher by hacking every turret in the arena and sprinting around like a terrified idiot while the turrets took all the aggro and did all the damage.

It was a fun experience that started getting a little same-y towards the end, but I also beat every mission by having every enemy shoot themselves so I definitely optimized a bit of fun out of the game. It does mean Im skipping on playing the DLC though, more story missions would be cool but Ive had my fill of the gameplay and I dont think new gadgets will do much to change that.

All in all, it was a fun experience and I thoroughly enjoyed the 60ish hours I spent in it, but Im also never playing it again.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Just use your attribute respec to rebuild your character and play completely differently. Be a time-slowing ninja who can't hack at all.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sindai posted:

Just use your attribute respec to rebuild your character and play completely differently. Be a time-slowing ninja who can't hack at all.

Yeah try one of the other play styles if you haven’t already. 2.0 made most of them a ton of fun at high level, get back in there choom

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

One thing they could've taken from the recent Deus Ex games is the ability to punch through a wall and crack the neck of any mook standing on the other side of it.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

As someone who netrunnered through the release spec Cyberpunk, now doing my 2.1 + PL replay doing all sandy & swords no stealth just walk in, stop time, and sever heads, there is a lot of fun left out there in other builds!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

You gotta realize the competition here. I could replay this game, or I could play Witcher 3 past White Orchard for the first time, or I could pick up a new Monster Hunter game, etc. Id definitely play as a lightspeed ninja if I had infinite time but alas

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I'm currently playing through as a tech int build that originally was going to be monowire war crimes but has evolved into just being the loving Terminator with the iconic tech shotty and my ridiculous armor stat and blood pump aug. I could go high effort but every time the Terminator theme comes into my head while I'm dismembering a chain of idiots with one Bolt puts a smile on my face.

e: so what I'm saying is there's a ton of content and a ton of build diversity or you could just Shoot Gun Be Tough

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Kerenzikov + sawed off shotgun is some of the most fun you can have in this game. Up there with all the other things you can do now

The shotgun that sets you on fire is the best, and it sucks that it's locked behind making a specific choice in a side quest.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Control Volume posted:

You gotta realize the competition here. I could replay this game, or I could play Witcher 3 past White Orchard for the first time, or I could pick up a new Monster Hunter game, etc. Id definitely play as a lightspeed ninja if I had infinite time but alas

immediately go play W3 and post about it in the thread.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sindai posted:

At first I was a little worried because I had become very reliant on hacking cameras to play a non-netrunner, but then I realized moving at superhuman speed to turn them off manually was also a kind of hacking. Speed-hacking, if you will.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cameras are a great way to basically stand in the open, pound your chest and yell out for everyone to come at you right before you stop time and zip zoom around, slicing them up with your sword and watch all the blood and gore rain down as time resumes.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Witcher 3 is another fantastic game to play all the way through one time

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

2house2fly posted:

Witcher 3 is another fantastic game to play all the way through one time

Yeah if you liked Cyberpunk 2077 you'll like Witcher 3, most likely. And vice versa.

I finally finished Phantom Liberty. The last few missions took me like 4 evenings since I wanted to explore any and all choices. PL story is 10/10.

Question about Phantom Liberty ending

- You only get the ridiculous cyberdeck (or gun I guess) if you side with Reed in the first big choice, right?
- If you side with Songbird both times, do you still get the fancy car? That quest wasn't popping up for me after the Songbird-then-Songbird ending. Maybe I just need to do some other stuff first?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The quest for it should trigger some time after the Firestarter mission no matter what path you took IIRC.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

jaete posted:

Yeah if you liked Cyberpunk 2077 you'll like Witcher 3, most likely. And vice versa.

I finally finished Phantom Liberty. The last few missions took me like 4 evenings since I wanted to explore any and all choices. PL story is 10/10.

Question about Phantom Liberty ending

- You only get the ridiculous cyberdeck (or gun I guess) if you side with Reed in the first big choice, right?
- If you side with Songbird both times, do you still get the fancy car? That quest wasn't popping up for me after the Songbird-then-Songbird ending. Maybe I just need to do some other stuff first?

If you're talking about the Quantum Tuner cyberdeck, you get this after siding with Songbird, and sending her off to the Moon -> and then chatting with Alex afterwards. Reed's gun (Pariah) drops from the last showdown with him (it's missable though, if you don't loot his corpse).
As for the car, are you talking about that weird golden 6-wheeler? I'm pretty sure that's via the AUTOFIXER quest chain instead. Sorry, not sure!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

If you're talking about the Quantum Tuner cyberdeck, you get this after siding with Songbird, and sending her off to the Moon -> and then chatting with Alex afterwards.

Ah, I haven't done this. How does Alex react to you? I don't think you ever actually encounter her in PL after the initial choice to betray Reed.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, I haven't done this. How does Alex react to you? I don't think you ever actually encounter her in PL after the initial choice to betray Reed.
She goes "I have orders to kill you, but there's no time frame, so I'll just wait for the Relic to do it." And you reminisce about Songbird and Reed a bit.

Later she sends you a postcard from her new posting in Monte Carlo just like she wanted! Probably the best ending literally ending anyone in PL gets.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Whoops haven't finished PL yet but can't resist clicking on spoilers. That last one was quite heartwarming, nice to know that'll happen!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sindai posted:

She goes "I have orders to kill you, but there's no time frame, so I'll just wait for the Relic to do it." And you reminisce about Songbird and Reed a bit.

Later she sends you a postcard from her new posting in Monte Carlo just like she wanted! Probably the best ending literally ending anyone in PL gets.

So she isn't bitter/angry with you? That's nice if so (and IMO more consistent with her character).

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Ytlaya posted:

So she isn't bitter/angry with you? That's nice if so (and IMO more consistent with her character).

She's not exactly super happy - after all, Reed wasn't always the burnt-out spy with serious attachment issues he is now - but at least she's self-aware enough to realise that there was never going to be any winners with the whole Songbird/Myers/Reed situation.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ngl the entire game is depressing as poo poo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

ngl the entire game is depressing as poo poo.

That's why it owns IMO

It actually has clear themes to its writing and tells a story that is simultaneously depressing while also vaguely hopeful. Definitely some of the best video game writing IMO. My opinion about it only improved over time.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ytlaya posted:

That's why it owns IMO

It actually has clear themes to its writing and tells a story that is simultaneously depressing while also vaguely hopeful. Definitely some of the best video game writing IMO. My opinion about it only improved over time.

Yea I completely agree. I have to emotionally prepare every time I replay it. I care about these characters and what happens in this world.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
These last posts made me think, who gets off happy in CP2077?

V if they choose the star ending, and if female v romances judy and takes it, they and Panam run off to have a happy life together, however long it lasts.
Most of the other endings leave V alone. I think, I know Judy, Panam and Kerry leave you, but i dunno about River.
But then the rest.
Seems pretty misrable and sad for the most part. Guess it depends on the ending you choose on who lives and dies, but the Fixers will go on being fixers. Pretty much everyone else will just go on with their lives, some with a jackie and some with a jackie and V sized hole in it. Through the game, V makes some legit friends, and having V leave them in whatever way, would probably upset the in the least.

But then world of CP2077 is one of misery. Even the well off are trapped in the bullshit corpo world they live in. Its not the endless horror of something like, 40k, but its still a pretty downer setting. Your best best is to find a place for yourself you will be safe and keep your head down while making enough eddies to keep you housed and full of burritos. Until some random ganger shoots you.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

twistedmentat posted:

Your best best is to find a place for yourself you will be safe and keep your head down while making enough eddies to keep you housed and full of burritos. Until some random ganger shoots you.

This ending (The Tower) is easily the worst. Your dreams (and Jackie's) of being the greatest merc in NC are shattered forever - you'll never work in the industry you loved again. Your friends either hate you, don't want to talk to you/already left NC, or have changed into the kind of person they once despised.

Your life is now the mundane of being another face in the crowd - the exact fate that you fought against. And now....you're just a loser with no hope of ever being what you once were, let alone a chance to be more.

If Johnny were still inside of you, he would have killed you and himself the first chance he had.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

This ending (The Tower) is easily the worst. Your dreams (and Jackie's) of being the greatest merc in NC are shattered forever - you'll never work in the industry you loved again. Your friends either hate you, don't want to talk to you/already left NC, or have changed into the kind of person they once despised.

Your life is now the mundane of being another face in the crowd - the exact fate that you fought against. And now....you're just a loser with no hope of ever being what you once were, let alone a chance to be more.

If Johnny were still inside of you, he would have killed you and himself the first chance he had.

Actually I have a cushy job, many luxuries vehicles and a huge bank balance so it's an absolute win.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Aldecaldos are doing pretty well if you help them out. Judy, if she either leaves with you or goes off to Oregon. River and the family can have a happy ending. I've always thought Kerry was lying about the depression just being for marketing and you do get him going in a positive direction again.

Not a coincidence it's all those characters, strong theme of the game is the world may suck but you can still find happiness in real relationships with good people.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Grand Fromage posted:

Not a coincidence it's all those characters, strong theme of the game is the world may suck but you can still find happiness in real relationships with good people.

Well said.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

twistedmentat posted:

Your best best is to find a place for yourself you will be safe and keep your head down while making enough eddies to keep you housed and full of burritos. Until some random ganger shoots you.

Funny that this is basically how the original short story of Johnny Mnemonic ends (he and Molly Millions live together with the Lo Teks away from the Sprawl, selling the secrets in his head that Jones the Dolphin can now extract). Of course, Molly also tells us how well that turned out in the long run for Johnny when she shows up in Neuromancer.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What really bakes my noodle is when Johnny grabs the bucket to use as a stool in the first Tapeworm cutscene….

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0lSzHjHi-w

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Shumagorath posted:

What really bakes my noodle is when Johnny grabs the bucket to use as a stool in the first Tapeworm cutscene….

Do not try and imagine how Johnny moved the stool—that’s impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth: there is no stool.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

That's why it owns IMO

Remember when it came out people who never actually played it said it wasn't about anything except maybe 'cops good?' Good times.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Literally nothing owns in this game and that owns.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Cyberpunk is grown-up Pokémon, collect as many friends as you can before you die.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Remember when it came out people who never actually played it said it wasn't about anything except maybe 'cops good?' Good times.

Part of why I talk up the plot/characters is that I've frequently seen takes along the lines of "it's a shame Cyberpunk's plot is so much worse than Witcher 3's," which I pretty strongly disagree with (mainly with regard to the characters, though I think the plot basically *is* the characters in Cyberpunk).

I think this opinion at least partly stems from Cyberpunk's narrative structure being kind of unusual - there isn't really a clear "page-turner" narrative, since post-"death" you basically just have these three vignettes focused on Takemura/Panam/Judy. But I think this structure is actually part of what makes the game interesting, since it appropriately places an emphasis on V's relationships with other people. My only real complaint is that I feel like it would have been ideal if Kerry/River were directly integrated into the main story in some way, though I understand why they aren't (since there isn't really any way to make them relevant to V's main goals without fundamentally changing their respective subplots).

Shumagorath posted:

This is a subtle hint that everything we see after V gets shot is actually a hallucination

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Its the job of the satire to make sure everyone understands it, and its the job of the Kotaku HR rep reading this to DM me a job offer.,

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

That's a lot of people involved in a very small project...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Part of why I talk up the plot/characters is that I've frequently seen takes along the lines of "it's a shame Cyberpunk's plot is so much worse than Witcher 3's," which I pretty strongly disagree with (mainly with regard to the characters, though I think the plot basically *is* the characters in Cyberpunk).

I think this opinion at least partly stems from Cyberpunk's narrative structure being kind of unusual - there isn't really a clear "page-turner" narrative, since post-"death" you basically just have these three vignettes focused on Takemura/Panam/Judy. But I think this structure is actually part of what makes the game interesting, since it appropriately places an emphasis on V's relationships with other people. My only real complaint is that I feel like it would have been ideal if Kerry/River were directly integrated into the main story in some way, though I understand why they aren't (since there isn't really any way to make them relevant to V's main goals without fundamentally changing their respective subplots).

This is a subtle hint that everything we see after V gets shot is actually a hallucination

In short I think Cyberpunk's main story would have been better if it was more linear and crafted pacing with ample and frequent breaks where the player is encouraged to go do side content.

I think that Cyberpunk's story is really good, i just do not think the decision to break the Taka/Judy/Panam storylines into fully independent things was worth it. I understand that it is how CDPR wanted to give the player the ability to decide how to go about investigating each line. The thing is unlike W3, there really is not a giant main story in Cyperpunk that requires all those stories to be independent.

In W3, that is achieved by having the main branches be in different locations with entirely separate maps. While you can indeed switch between them, in general everyone does them one after the other, with them each functioning as a chapter in the story. Geralt starts in white orchard, goes to Velen, then Novigrad, then Skellige, and then the plot moves to the conclusion.

V similarly gets 3 leads and while there is no real impetus to do them in succession, there is also not much that encourages V to go do sidequests. In W3 that is accomplished by having a slower overall pacing to the story, and more directly encouraged sidequests like the monster contracts to get the player to go off adventuring.

I think Cyberpunk would have benefitted from a slightly tweaked order of events, and from having a more structured flow of quests. Also a number of the things that are side content, like Johnny's entire set of quests, could have been integrated into the main story.