Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm honestly not a fan of the near-universal premise: "Your world is going to end...soon. Maybe. Go make mischief for, I don't know, a few months I guess?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

WoodrowSkillson posted:

V similarly gets 3 leads and while there is no real impetus to do them in succession, there is also not much that encourages V to go do sidequests. In W3 that is accomplished by having a slower overall pacing to the story, and more directly encouraged sidequests like the monster contracts to get the player to go off adventuring.

V needs to do sidejobs because diegetically they are broke and require currency to chrome up and make it to the top of the pile, I always felt that was self-evident.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

They also could have signposted what the main quest actually was. I got to the point of no return in record time because I thought the Takemura quests were a side branch like Judys and Panams stuff

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Reclaimer posted:

V needs to do sidejobs because diegetically they are broke and require currency to chrome up and make it to the top of the pile, I always felt that was self-evident.
And they need to kill enough people to get those little chips that let you get even more chrome.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm honestly not a fan of the near-universal premise: "Your world is going to end...soon. Maybe. Go make mischief for, I don't know, a few months I guess?"

The open world won the genre wars decisively before video games developed the ability to tell a story in an open world. That said I maintain that Cyberpunk specifically leans into the friction between the urgent main quest and the ability to potter about doing side missions. They didn't have to say the chip will kill V in a few weeks, meaning it's significant that they did say that

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

2house2fly posted:

The open world won the genre wars decisively before video games developed the ability to tell a story in an open world. That said I maintain that Cyberpunk specifically leans into the friction between the urgent main quest and the ability to potter about doing side missions. They didn't have to say the chip will kill V in a few weeks, meaning it's significant that they did say that

Somebody who was battling at what they thought at the time was a fatal illness wrote about how V's tendency to do just about anything but focus on the fact they're dying felt very authentic.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think this is the one you're talking about

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2022/07/27/cyberpunk2077-cancer/

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
think there could have been room for a V delusion like "if I chrome up enough maybe the relic won't change me"

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Hmm, it seems the skill early on in the Cool tree, which gives Focus a minor time slowdown, doesn't work with Kerenzikov. Well that's understandable; but taking that skill also broke my Kerenzikov, after refunding the perk, I had to do a quick save & quick reload to re-enable my Kerenzikov. Oh well. Guess I prefer Kerenzikov anyway.

I did my Phantom Liberty playthrough on Very Hard. Quickhacks remain overpowered in 2.0 but they're not enough by themselves, especially boss fights will need something else, so I went with Air Dash and double-jump legs for movement & Kerenzikov to make my horrible shooting slightly more accurate. Used Widow Maker as my main weapon for everything (accurate, good damage, also tech in case I want to cheese an encounter by shooting everyone through the walls). Also specced into tech to get better cyberware, did lots of gigs and side things to get money to upgrade cyberware, especially armor.

After starting Phantom Liberty I got the Optical Camo Relic upgrade, which is really good. Combat was mainly using various quickhacks on fools, then air-dashing around like an idiot and shooting everyone in the face.

I wonder how well melee builds work on Very Hard with the 2.0 combat changes. With my INT/REF/TECH build I'm too squishy to stay in melee range, with 1000/1500 armor and 410ish hp. With BODY and proper cyberware, Berserk should work fine while it's active but it seems you'd still be pretty squishy when it's on cooldown? On Very Hard the disabling quickhacks such as Weapon Glitch, Reboot Optics will only give a respite from incoming damage for about 2 seconds, so those wouldn't help... maybe if your melee has shock chance or something?

Also tech shotguns seem very rare, I've seen like 2 of them total in like 100 hours of this playthrough.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Interesting. I've found at least one tech or smart shotgun per side gig.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Halloween Jack posted:

This is why open world plots were perfected by Morrowind, where the main quest guy repeatedly tells you to gently caress off and go do sidequests to git gud, and the threat is more ominous and lacks a certain timeframe of when things will get truly hosed up.

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 26, 2024

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

jaete posted:

I wonder how well melee builds work on Very Hard with the 2.0 combat changes. With my INT/REF/TECH build I'm too squishy to stay in melee range, with 1000/1500 armor and 410ish hp. With BODY and proper cyberware, Berserk should work fine while it's active but it seems you'd still be pretty squishy when it's on cooldown? On Very Hard the disabling quickhacks such as Weapon Glitch, Reboot Optics will only give a respite from incoming damage for about 2 seconds, so those wouldn't help... maybe if your melee has shock chance or something?

Also tech shotguns seem very rare, I've seen like 2 of them total in like 100 hours of this playthrough.

The thing with melee builds is by using Axolotl and a couple of the perk tree things you have basically no downtime on cooldown cyberware. I don’t use berserk but with a Miltech Apogee my fights are basically just air dash in, sandy, kill small group. Turn off sandy, crouch sprint around cover to reposition for another dash/sandy use to take out another group, repeat. Occasionally I’ll stop for a second to deflect a few bullets which will get someone low enough to use a finisher on, but that’s mostly just for variety. Also for really small groups - Apogee slows down time enough you can just walk up to them and kill all three before they even get alerted.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The next game needs to have some kind of dialogue or other downside to using a sandy every ten seconds of your life. I say this as someone who will let myself die so that my second heart kicks in lol.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

jaete posted:

Yeah if you liked Cyberpunk 2077 you'll like Witcher 3, most likely. And vice versa.

Uhhh....except the part where one is a well done game with story choices that actually matter and the other one is neither.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Jack Trades posted:

Uhhh....except the part where one is a well done game with story choices that actually matter and the other one is neither.

Yeah I thought Witcher 3 was overrated.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

My opinion about that popular game? heh. you might be surprised.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Witcher 3 is not much fun to actually play, while Cyberpunk is incredibly fun to play.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

My opinion about that popular game? heh. you might be surprised.

You're right. I only enjoy obscure games that nobody ever heard of, such as Witcher 3.

JBP posted:

The Witcher 3 is not much fun to actually play, while Cyberpunk is incredibly fun to play.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

JBP posted:

:kamina:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

JBP posted:

The next game needs to have some kind of dialogue or other downside to using a sandy every ten seconds of your life. I say this as someone who will let myself die so that my second heart kicks in lol.

Not like it ruined the game for me or anything but it was always a little bit immersion breaking that I can go down to a grease stained ripper shop underneath a fast food joint and get a second heart but Saburo can just get choked out and die. Like that dude should have 18 backups to everything inside there. He should just be staring at his kid like "are you stupid son?" while his augmented lungs just make oxygen for him while they are standing there, awkwardly staring at each other.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

JBP posted:

extremely incorrect

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

toadee posted:

Not like it ruined the game for me or anything but it was always a little bit immersion breaking that I can go down to a grease stained ripper shop underneath a fast food joint and get a second heart but Saburo can just get choked out and die. Like that dude should have 18 backups to everything inside there. He should just be staring at his kid like "are you stupid son?" while his augmented lungs just make oxygen for him while they are standing there, awkwardly staring at each other.

I just put this down to him being like 200 years old and the meat being too worn out to cope with anything more than cyberwar that keeps him upright.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Goa Tse-tung posted:

think there could have been room for a V delusion like "if I chrome up enough maybe the relic won't change me"

I always just saw it as V realized that sooner or later, the Relic is gonna put him on a crash course with Arasaka, so it's like "gently caress me, I better have all the chrome and guns I can get before that happens"

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, people were very critical of choices not mattering in Cyberpunk 2077 from the beginning. I always thought that this was mainly due to the ridiculous marketing hype before release, where they were selling the game as some kind of complete life simulator with infinite choice or some poo poo. That was false, but I don't think the opposite holds either, that choices don't matter at all in CP2077.

For me Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 have always had roughly the same amount of choice and consequence; it was just not overhyped in Witcher 3 (and W3's launch was not 50% a complete disaster like CP77's was).

In Witcher 3 the core plot is always the same. The structure is semi-linear, with 3 different things/areas you need to do, but you can do them in different order if you want, and after that there's the ending which is linear, the end battle is always the same. Then there's an epilogue which is literally five minutes of walking around and another five minutes of watching a slideshow; that's all that changes. I mean there's definitely meaningful choice and consequence, but not a supermassive amount.

In Cyberpunk 2077 the core plot is always the same. The structure is semi-linear, 3 paths you can do in any order (only 1 is "mandatory" though!), then the ending sequence is linear. The epilogues feel more meaty here though than in W3. Another thing is that depending on which main paths you decided to do or not do, some endings will not be available at all; and in fact the ending mission also changes, quite a lot, depending on what your choice is. I would say that there is in fact more choice and consequence in CP2077 than in W3.

As for things other than the main plot, they don't actually matter at all in either W3 or CP2077. Both games have these impossible moral dilemmas etc in the side gigs, which is cool, but it's not like the Leshen quest or whatever in W3 affects the ending in any way, just like killing or sparing that random Valentino guy in CP2077 doesn't affect anything either.

Now with Phantom Liberty, in CP2077 there's even more choice and consequence than there was, and more than there ever was in Witcher 3. With PL you get a choice for more than one new ending path, with some very meaty quests and battles, and there's a brand new epilogue, which is also much longer and more meaty than any Witcher 3 ending.

I therefore disagree with (what I think is) your suggestion that choices don't matter in CP2077. I find they matter more than they do in W3.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

jaete posted:

I therefore disagree with (what I think is) your suggestion that choices don't matter in CP2077. I find they matter more than they do in W3.

Cool.
Did you side with the Voodoo Boys or with the NetWatch?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

If you aren't familiar with Jack Trades' schtick, he is a pretty safe ignore just fyi. He just trolls game threads to poo poo up things other people enjoy and has no clear intent beyond taking a poo poo in public.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

toadee posted:

If you aren't familiar with Jack Trades' schtick, he is a pretty safe ignore just fyi. He just trolls game threads to poo poo up things other people enjoy and has no clear intent beyond taking a poo poo in public.

It's not "trolling" just because you have extremely selective memory and don't like what you see, so why don't you, respectfully, go gently caress yourself? tyvm

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

toadee posted:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jack Trades posted:

It's not "trolling" just because you have extremely selective memory and don't like what you see, so why don't you, respectfully, go gently caress yourself? tyvm

idk man the rap sheet seems to back that up.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

I saw him actually like a game once and it dispelled the magic.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Saburo was born in 1919. Even if he has the best chrome and life-extension therapies in the world, and even if you assume he had access to this stuff a decade before it went on the market, he was already at least 80 when replacement organs became available. By 2077 he's probably dragged his carcass about as far as it can go.

Whorelord posted:

This is why open world plots were perfected by Morrowind, where the main quest guy repeatedly tells you to gently caress off and go do sidequests to git gud, and the threat is more ominous and lacks a certain timeframe of when things will get truly hosed up.
I haven't played Morrowind, but I was fine with the main quest in Skyrim, where it never seems like Alduin is gonna destroy the world next Tuesday or whatever.

2house2fly posted:

Please! We need that chip!

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 26, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Reclaimer posted:

I saw him actually like a game once and it dispelled the magic.
I don’t believe he’s actually played a game never mind liked one.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Halloween Jack posted:

Saburo was born in 1919. Even if he has the best chrome and life-extension therapies in the world, and even if you assume he had access to this stuff a decade before it went on the market, he was already at least 80 when replacement organs became available. By 2077 he's probably dragged his carcass about as far as it can go.

The problem is that we know that total body replacements are a thing, like they're commercially available - you don't need to be special like Adam Smasher if you just want a human-like body rather than a modular tank.

As long as his mind is fine, and everything suggests it is, he should be able to do what Lizzy Wizzy did. One can certainly come up with valid reasons why he'd go to the trouble of pursuing the Relic option, but I don't think the game actually provides one.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Is Lizzy Wizzy a full borg? I thought she "just" had her entire skin replaced.

It's possible that the process is dicey for somebody who's already 120+ years old. It's also possible that an unreconstructed Showa-era fascist doesn't believe in going full borg. Saburo already has a plan for a total body replacement, including a brain replacement.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NihilCredo posted:

As long as his mind is fine, and everything suggests it is,

A fine mind that has to be talked down from just nuking Night City because he's a senile old fucker who is less a titan of intellect and more a corporate strongman who thinks he can just shoot away the myriad of problems plaguing his company.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I don't really care for "choices" in games in 99% of situations, including Witcher 3. I'd rather have a single compelling narrative. It can be cool when a game takes things to BG3 levels of interactivity, but Witcher 3 doesn't really do that.

The biggest advantage Cyberpunk has over Witcher 3 is that Witcher's characters just do very little for me. I also think Cyberpunk's core gameplay is way more fun, but I can see how that's more subjective.

Halloween Jack posted:

I think you can basically live forever in Cyberpunk, but will experience gradual mental degradation (since the entire brain is the one thing that can't be replaced).

So Saburo could keep going, but he'd just continue getting more senile.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

Is Lizzy Wizzy a full borg? I thought she "just" had her entire skin replaced.

Yeah, Lizzy's a full body replacement borg. I think she even basically unalived herself on stage during a performance and came back out as the new 'her.'

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shumagorath posted:

I don’t believe he’s actually played a game never mind liked one.

he and I both like My Time at Sandrock, and for the same reasons, and I honestly thought he was being sarcastic when he first posted to that effect

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Lizzy's a full body replacement borg. I think she even basically unalived herself on stage during a performance and came back out as the new 'her.'
…and look how that turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Saburo could also just not want to turn himself into a full borg. Personal preferences are still a thing. He doesn't need to anyway, he has a plan already set up to Relic himself into Yorinobu.

Saburo is an extreme traditionalist, the idea he doesn't want to chrome up beyond what is medically necessary for him to live forever fits just fine.