Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Grand Fromage posted:

Saburo could also just not want to turn himself into a full borg. Personal preferences are still a thing. He doesn't need to anyway, he has a plan already set up to Relic himself into Yorinobu.

Saburo is an extreme traditionalist, the idea he doesn't want to chrome up beyond what is medically necessary for him to live forever fits just fine.

Considering there is a yearly campaign in Japan right now to warn the elderly about the hazards of choking to death on mochi, you'd think a Japanese traditionalist would have some choking protection installed though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Mochi is worth it. Although you could get even more enjoyment out of watching people make it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ytlaya posted:

I don't really care for "choices" in games in 99% of situations, including Witcher 3. I'd rather have a single compelling narrative. It can be cool when a game takes things to BG3 levels of interactivity, but Witcher 3 doesn't really do that.
Whenever someone says "but your choices don't matter" about some open-world game, it's like somebody hit the fart noise on a soundboard but it just goes on for hours. What does that even mean?

Witcher 3 has a main narrative and you also get to make several choices that alter geopolitics across the Continent and probably the entire world. What's not to like?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Halloween Jack posted:

What's not to like?

The final segment of Reason of State where certain people take stupid pills.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

toadee posted:

Considering there is a yearly campaign in Japan right now to warn the elderly about the hazards of choking to death on mochi, you'd think a Japanese traditionalist would have some choking protection installed though :v:

Saburo had anti-choking chrome that prevents him from getting strangled but Yori had the Arasaka TurboStrangler implant made to defeat anti-choking chrome, how bout that

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Reclaimer posted:

Saburo had anti-choking chrome that prevents him from getting strangled but Yori had the Arasaka TurboStrangler implant made to defeat anti-choking chrome, how bout that

Yori didn't want to chrome up too much so he just got Gorilla Hands

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There should be more explosive weapons in the game. How come Panam gets a Stinger Missile Launcher while I'm stuck with O'Five being one of the crappier Grad iconics?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Whenever someone says "but your choices don't matter" about some open-world game, it's like somebody hit the fart noise on a soundboard but it just goes on for hours. What does that even mean?

Witcher 3 has a main narrative and you also get to make several choices that alter geopolitics across the Continent and probably the entire world. What's not to like?

I'm not saying it's bad, just that it's not good to the extent that its absence is a black mark against a game (which was the point being made, that Witcher iscbetter than Cyberpunk because of the choices).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

all day long i make choices in a grimdark world with unforeseen consequences and few happy endings. im fine with games being fun

e: and someone should remake alpha protocol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

all day long i make choices in a grimdark world with unforeseen consequences and few happy endings. im fine with games being fun

It just got rereleased on GoG.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

:dogbutton:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ainsley McTree posted:

rope kid and comte, let’s go, link the kickstarter

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
pls, no. one more weird personal small thing before being banished to the CRPG mines again for another 10 or 12 years ty

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

fair enough, as long as Pentiment actually wins the Peabody

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Lizzy's a full body replacement borg. I think she even basically unalived herself on stage during a performance and came back out as the new 'her.'

There's an article somewhere that explains it;

She did a big stage performance that culmimated in eating a poisoned apple causing total organ failure, then getting carted off into marathon surgery to replace everything with Chrome while the audience waited on a multi-hour "intermission", before returning to stage fully-chromed as she is now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought she had the replacement surgery done on stage as part of the shock value.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I love ropekid having to comment on fallout again and giving the most confident goon responses possible. He's a treasure.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was thinking of Alpha Protocol yesterday when I was doing that annoying Phantom Liberty mission where you have to shepherd Reed from one end of the screen to another pointing out obstacles as they come up. It's borderline impossible to do it stealthily in Very Hard because you can't one-hit kill anyone. Anyway it reminded me of the AP mission where you're saying on a party through a sniper rifle and you have the option to just shoot everyone there even though there's no reason to. Comte worked on that level and commented on it saying his objective was to give the player a sniper rifle and have a terrorist in their sights, and make them not want to kill him. Which I didn't!

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

2house2fly posted:

I was thinking of Alpha Protocol yesterday when I was doing that annoying Phantom Liberty mission where you have to shepherd Reed from one end of the screen to another pointing out obstacles as they come up. It's borderline impossible to do it stealthily in Very Hard because you can't one-hit kill anyone.

Hm, I was able to one-hit kill the required people (just 2 of them I think, both at the same time) on Very Hard without problems? :confused:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Has the game been crashing recently for anyone else? I've got a CTD now three or four times today. Previous 4 weeks or whatever were almost completely crashless, wonder what has changed

Windows 11, latest GPU drivers etc, no mods

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

jaete posted:

Has the game been crashing recently for anyone else? I've got a CTD now three or four times today. Previous 4 weeks or whatever were almost completely crashless, wonder what has changed

Hmm I suspect now that this was caused by me having too much stuff in my stash. Been doing lots of airdrops and car theft missions, in addition to all the side jobs and gigs, and at some point I just gave up on deciding whether to dismantle or sell which piece of loot and instead started storing all of it in the stash. After I dismantled like 100 items from there I haven't had another crash (yet)

toadee posted:

The thing with melee builds is by using Axolotl and a couple of the perk tree things you have basically no downtime on cooldown cyberware. I don’t use berserk but with a Miltech Apogee my fights are basically just air dash in, sandy, kill small group. Turn off sandy, crouch sprint around cover to reposition for another dash/sandy use to take out another group, repeat. Occasionally I’ll stop for a second to deflect a few bullets which will get someone low enough to use a finisher on, but that’s mostly just for variety. Also for really small groups - Apogee slows down time enough you can just walk up to them and kill all three before they even get alerted.

This is good info, thanks! Since my max level character is INT/REF/TECH, I decided to change my spec (just cyberware + perks) from Hacker to Slasher to try it out. The playstyle is very different, refreshing change.

I guess I have some more questions:

- How do Mantis Blades compare to katanas? It seems katanas do all the same things but are more versatile and obviously easier to switch around. Jumping towards enemies seems nice but double jump and air dash seems to fill that role just fine. I guess Electric Mantis Blades might be good for robots etc, whereas I'm not sure if there's an electric katana?
- Are finishers actually good? They restore a tiny amount of health while consuming many precious seconds of Sandevistan time. The Mantis Blades long jump thing in the Relic tree seems cool but, again, I already have air dash. Maybe I could turn off the sandy and then use a finisher... seems like a waste of time though.

The weakpoint thing in the Relic tree seems excellent with blades, I had a hard time killing some of these skull level enemies before Sandy ran out, but if they had a weak spot then it became downright easy.

One thing I will definitely miss though is hacking access points. I just like the minigame for some reason. Also the extra loot and cash. They should have an equivalent thing for blade users, maybe a tin you need to open quickly to get cash and loot

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

jaete posted:

Hmm I suspect now that this was caused by me having too much stuff in my stash. Been doing lots of airdrops and car theft missions, in addition to all the side jobs and gigs, and at some point I just gave up on deciding whether to dismantle or sell which piece of loot and instead started storing all of it in the stash. After I dismantled like 100 items from there I haven't had another crash (yet)

This is good info, thanks! Since my max level character is INT/REF/TECH, I decided to change my spec (just cyberware + perks) from Hacker to Slasher to try it out. The playstyle is very different, refreshing change.

I guess I have some more questions:

- How do Mantis Blades compare to katanas? It seems katanas do all the same things but are more versatile and obviously easier to switch around. Jumping towards enemies seems nice but double jump and air dash seems to fill that role just fine. I guess Electric Mantis Blades might be good for robots etc, whereas I'm not sure if there's an electric katana?
- Are finishers actually good? They restore a tiny amount of health while consuming many precious seconds of Sandevistan time. The Mantis Blades long jump thing in the Relic tree seems cool but, again, I already have air dash. Maybe I could turn off the sandy and then use a finisher... seems like a waste of time though.

The weakpoint thing in the Relic tree seems excellent with blades, I had a hard time killing some of these skull level enemies before Sandy ran out, but if they had a weak spot then it became downright easy.

One thing I will definitely miss though is hacking access points. I just like the minigame for some reason. Also the extra loot and cash. They should have an equivalent thing for blade users, maybe a tin you need to open quickly to get cash and loot

Yeah Mantis Blades are straight up worse than a Katana but are fun for variety and the electric ones are nice on occasion. Finishers are good but don’t use them during Sandy time. The Falcon and Apogee Sandy’s let you turn them on and off at will and you get to bank the unused time - so dash in, hit Sandy, kill, turn off sandy while dashing out, etc. Dash out toward a lone enemy with a gun and hold block, the deflection hits will lower them enough to finisher, then dash toward another big group and hit your sandy again for them.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Voodoo boys vs Netwatch: I felt guilty choosing any of them sooooo my corpo V sided with Netwatch because ??? (I still don't know) but I got decent loot of all the voodoo boys corpses so I kinda went with that and never looked back.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I find it hard to side with the VB because they're essentially a Cthulhu cult and because of the arrogance and asshattery portrayed by Placide and Brigitte, and their treatment of Evelyn.

Netwatch is clearly necessary and occasionally useful in the setting, whereas accelerating the AI-pocalypse isn't.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

orcane posted:

I find it hard to side with the VB because they're essentially a Cthulhu cult and because of the arrogance and asshattery portrayed by Placide and Brigitte, and their treatment of Evelyn.

Netwatch is clearly necessary and occasionally useful in the setting, whereas accelerating the AI-pocalypse isn't.

Yeah more or less the point I used to side with NetWatch. I mean, I disliked VB from the start but was following along just to see if they had something interesting but... nope.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At least the Dogtown VDBs are more chill. They just want to build an army of terminator robots to do their bidding rather than unleash the internet hell monsters onto humanity. I can get behind terminators.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

At least the Dogtown VDBs are more chill. They just want to build an army of terminator robots to do their bidding rather than unleash the internet hell monsters onto humanity. I can get behind terminators.

Yeah if you could meet the Dogtown VDB before the Pacifica group I might be more inclined to hear out Placide/Brigitte, but as is, nope, I feel like I need to work with Netwatch on that one.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I really liked the PL side gig where Netwatch shows up again, even though I shot the guy who was obviously tailing us once we got to the basement. The epilogue was a little taste of a Witcher quest for anyone craving that.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I just started a replay after not having played since launch (I thought it was fine personally), anything particularly important to know with the changes? Does the PL dlc make any changes to the main game/does it make sense to add it in parallel or just wait until I'm near the end of the main story or what?

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I just started a replay after not having played since launch (I thought it was fine personally), anything particularly important to know with the changes? Does the PL dlc make any changes to the main game/does it make sense to add it in parallel or just wait until I'm near the end of the main story or what?

You could decide whether or not you want to do as much of the vanilla questlines as possible before PL or the other way around. The latter let's you play with new things longer. There's references to progression either way, characters available etc.

OTOH just mixing and matching is great too. Just have fun.

You should also brace for SMS messages having wonky timing vs progression.. like wonkier than usual. At least for me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

You can start the DLC immediately after completing the Judy/Evelyn/VDB questline if you're so inclined. There's actually quite a bit of reactivity between basegame choices and DLC choices depending on the order in which you complete them. Most of it is down to side gigs and it's mainly flavour text but its cool nonetheless.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

orcane posted:

Halloween Jack posted:

They both suck! Kill 'em all, I say.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I just started a replay after not having played since launch (I thought it was fine personally), anything particularly important to know with the changes?

Fingers doesn’t sell any exclusive items anymore, you don’t need to show him mercy.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Nah :colbert:

What the posts ^^ said. It unlocks after the "find Evelyn" arc in act 2 and at that point you can start and finish it whenever you want. Depending on how you finish the PL story you will get a new ending option for act 3.

Be aware you will be set on a somewhat linear path at the beginning of the DLC and won't be able to abandon it to return to the city proper without "failing" the DLC. You get some minor convo reactivity in base game missions (which IMO is not worth rushing the DLC story for), and you can tell your lover about what you did in Dogtown (which is cute). So you don't have to finish PL ASAP, but doing at least the intro will unlock a few more things you can use outside of Dogtown in the rest of the game (new vendors/clothes/iconic weapons and cyberware, some permanent stat boosts, and car delivery missions which unlock new cars and discounts).

I prefer doing the intro to PL early, then sporadically return to Dogtown while I'm also doing act 2 stuff. You can absolutely wait until Hanako has already been waiting at Embers for a few ingame weeks, and clear PL with all the vanilla ending rewards if that's your thing.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Augus posted:

Fingers doesn’t sell any exclusive items anymore, you don’t need to show him mercy.

Yeah. I think one of the nice changes with the newer versions of the game is that all ripper docs offer the same stuff and with enough components you can upgrade them to the max levels. Makes things much easier.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm not totally against the idea of stores having unique items, but does the cheapest, sleaziest ripperdoc in the city have the best stuff? I don't see much point in creating a moral dilemma between killing him and getting a good item.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I kinda dislike that aspect of the ripperdoc overhaul. I enjoyed the scavenger hunt aspect and it makes guys like Fingers and the dude from Kabuki owning illegally obtained cyberware feel irrelevant.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

I kinda dislike that aspect of the ripperdoc overhaul. I enjoyed the scavenger hunt aspect and it makes guys like Fingers and the dude from Kabuki owning illegally obtained cyberware feel irrelevant.
Yeah but why does a sleazy cheap rear end like Fingers have unique top of the line stuff? Feels like that should be in City Center or something.

E: I did like idea of some rippers specializing in types of gear though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah but why does a sleazy cheap rear end like Fingers have unique top of the line stuff? Feels like that should be in City Center or something.

Black market mods and joytoys looking for discretion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It would make sense with a bit of story around it. Like say Fingers works closely with the Scavs, which would explain why he sells lovely used chrome. He gets some preem gear from time to time, but mostly gets by selling the cheap poo poo, like a barber-surgeon.