Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Even though I've never got anywhere past level 65, this server is pretty cool.
I'll probably hop on this and maybe actually experience some of the content.

As someone mentioned earlier the "gulf" between 65 and raiding is not a gulf, its a planet sized ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

blatman posted:

what's this server like these days if I don't really enjoy raiding?

edit: like, level cap content for people who just can't stand groups bigger than 6

Any 65 exp zone is going to be tuned for 6 man groups of varying tier levels, though many drop BoEs which are meant to be sold (players who can obtain them typically already have better gear). Here is a list of specific 6 man content. Both Cmal 1-3 and Hate are specifically designed for new 65s and reward gear for most slots (tier 3-4 from cmal, and tier 5-6 from hate). Both cmal and hate can require steady farming to fill all your slots, but they are good exp zones and I enjoyed playing in them. After that there are a few options for advancement. Emberflow and Windstone would be a bit difficult in pure Hate gear, but could probably have some of their easier areas tackled. There is also Bounty Hunting which rewards time gated currency at 3 levels. The hardest (third rank) can be challenging, but the difficulty varies widely, and some would definitely be in the range of Hate geared groups, possibly even a duo. With rank 3 tokens you can build tier 7ish gear, but it can take 100 days or so of doing rank 3s every day to build gear for every slot available. Bounty gear is usually made to fill in missing worn effects and especially missing focus effects. You can peruse the previously linked 6 man content list for more after that; there are encounters at every tier but the highest. Tier 8 and above will start to be difficult without raid gear or 1,000+ AAs.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

I love the idea of seasons for long term MMORPG health, I've been a big proponent of it for UO servers that I've played on. For UO servers though I advocated for complete annual server wipes. That probably doesn't work for Everquest, but also no one is going to want to convert into playing non-season characters with people who have been raiding for 15 years. It just wouldn't be fun to play with the established raid scene as a fresh 65. I honestly feel like it would be better if this was just a server wipe instead of the seasons system.

I'd still join if season 1 didn't start the same day that I go out of town for a week and a half. Ah well, maybe season 2.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008
There are quite a few players who have argued for wipes over the years. The administration has not really shown an indication it was part of the plan, but then again they don't communicate plans much beyond current changes. A week or two isn't that far behind if you are really interested. Yes some people will already be 65, but that's the shortest part of the journey. A fresh 65 will be able to contribute to groups of 65s with at most a couple hundred AA easily, and people have estimated making it to tier 7-8 raiding by the end of the season. Having a character or duo at tier 7 or 8 allows you to advance your character quite a bit on your own (more options for money gain, experience gain, and getting far in the main quests and faction quests). Tier 10-11 content is regularly cleared, and a tier 7 character that invested time into progressing AAs and their charm shouldn't have too hard a time finding a guild to play with.

Edit - started FAQ on first post. First subject is the amount of grind in SoD.

Stonewalljack fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 12, 2020

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Stonewalljack posted:

There are quite a few players who have argued for wipes over the years. The administration has not really shown an indication it was part of the plan, but then again they don't communicate plans much beyond current changes. A week or two isn't that far behind if you are really interested. Yes some people will already be 65, but that's the shortest part of the journey. A fresh 65 will be able to contribute to groups of 65s with at most a couple hundred AA easily, and people have estimated making it to tier 7-8 raiding by the end of the season. Having a character or duo at tier 7 or 8 allows you to advance your character quite a bit on your own (more options for money gain, experience gain, and getting far in the main quests and faction quests). Tier 10-11 content is regularly cleared, and a tier 7 character that invested time into progressing AAs and their charm shouldn't have too hard a time finding a guild to play with.

Edit - started FAQ on first post. First subject is the amount of grind in SoD.

Any guild recommendations for people who manage to make it to 65?

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008
Dragonkin has always been welcoming to new people. Pretentious was recruiting every new player for the beginning of the year, but I don’t know if they have backed off as they have been advancing tiers. I’ve raided with both and they were both pleasant groups of people.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Cool, thanks. Probably spending the first day gathering my herd and getting everyone through a few of their starter quests. I'll see you guys in-game!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sounds like a decent amount of Goon Squad people are coming back/rolling season characters, not sure what that translates to long term, but I'll be rolling a duo and we'll have folks active/online in Goon Squad again.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I'm going to check this out. I've played a bit of P99 (and an even smaller bit of live EQ back in the 20th century), but not enough to be a veteran.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Just something to note for people who haven't touched this game - there have been a *lot* of improvements over the years. The low level content and early-tier raiding, notably, is in a far better state today. However, a lot of that updating is disabled for this race-specific event. If you're more interested in seeing more of the game, I wouldn't make a season-specific character because adepts and the new requiem zones are pretty huge. The item quality obtained in adepts and the requiem zones beat out most T1-6 raiding gear.

With that said, if you plan on going hard with the people who have no-lifed this game for years (who will undoubtedly be going hard on this season for fame rewards and item skins), you might get more mileage riding their coat tails through raiding. T7/8 content, which isn't unreasonable to think people pushing content in the season can get to, has gear that beats out anything you can get in the requiem zones or adept gear.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
I'm interested in giving this a go since my experience with a TLP server has been pretty disappointing.

Any word on what the population is like during off-peak? I'm from Australia, I'm not after a huge player base just a good crew of people to play with.

Nowher fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 18, 2020

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

Null1fy posted:

If you're more interested in seeing more of the game, I wouldn't make a season-specific character because adepts and the new requiem zones are pretty huge.

Adept gear has been nerfed some with the intention of making them a fun diversion, but no longer vastly superior to quest or dungeon gear. Adepts are typically only duoable into the 20s. If you are making a character during seasons, I feel the loss of interaction with the rest of the leveling player base to not be worth level 1-20 nerfed adept gear. If you are hooked on the game enough to reach level 65 a month or two into seasons, I feel there is little lost to making a season character. While you will be unable to do requiem of hate for a couple of months, it will be a great time to find fresh 65 groups and possibly raids otherwise.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

Nowher posted:

I'm interested in giving this a go since my experience with a TLP server has been pretty disappointing.

Any word on what the population is like during off-peak? I'm from Australia, I'm not after a huge player base just a good crew of people to play with.

Population off-peak can drop into the low teens currently (with max peak around 100). I'll take a look this weekend and report back on what happens when season 1 starts.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I played on this server eight or nine years ago, and it's really two games in one: there's the nostalgic kick-around that you can do easily, and remember the good and bad things about a twenty-year old MMORPG. Leveling on SoD is not nearly as painful as it was on Verant/SOE's servers back in the day, and although some of the names are different, there's a lot you'll recognize.

The other game is the raiding, "beat the game" style, and that is also possible but will take a truly monumental time effort, numbering many thousands of hours. If you want to make it work, you can make it work, but there's no casual way to get to the endgame.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Made a seasonal character, can't hit anything that moves, then stopped being able to swing at anything at all. Pretty weird, I don't remember having any major issues when I briefly played years ago

j883376
Aug 7, 2006

Linux Toddler!

PriNGLeS posted:

Made a seasonal character, can't hit anything that moves, then stopped being able to swing at anything at all. Pretty weird, I don't remember having any major issues when I briefly played years ago

That was a bug shortly after launch but it's fixed now. You can hit stuff again, huzzah

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Hell yeah

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I just found out about SoD, and I know that there's a ton of new content but how much (if any) of the vanilla questing/story crud is around? I was mainly toying with the idea of rolling a new guy to screw around with stuff I never had time for when EQ was popular, and can't decide between the vanilla official f2p guy or this, which apparently has QoL and updates through the roof.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'm picking up SoD for basically the first time--I created a couple accounts years ago, but never got past level 4, so I think that still counts as starting from scratch. There is so much stuff even in just the UI that I am having to learn about, since SoD uses so much more stuff than was available in Velious era (the last expansion I really played for any appreciable amount of time). Even just setting up a UI was a massive pain in the rear end, and I still haven't really gotten it sorted. I hated loving with a UI in World of Warcraft and I hate it here too.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

I just found out about SoD, and I know that there's a ton of new content but how much (if any) of the vanilla questing/story crud is around? I was mainly toying with the idea of rolling a new guy to screw around with stuff I never had time for when EQ was popular, and can't decide between the vanilla official f2p guy or this, which apparently has QoL and updates through the roof.

Very little of the content is original EQ. Many zones, especially early and leveling zones are setup similarly to their orginal EQ format, but names, gear drops mob levels and abilities can differ.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

Dick Burglar posted:

I'm picking up SoD for basically the first time--I created a couple accounts years ago, but never got past level 4, so I think that still counts as starting from scratch. There is so much stuff even in just the UI that I am having to learn about, since SoD uses so much more stuff than was available in Velious era (the last expansion I really played for any appreciable amount of time). Even just setting up a UI was a massive pain in the rear end, and I still haven't really gotten it sorted. I hated loving with a UI in World of Warcraft and I hate it here too.

Yeah I'm with you, setting up and then rearranging a UI as I gain access to more abilities is one of the larger barriers to entry for me when playing new MMOs, and the original UI on EQ/SoD is crap. Once you get a UI set up the way you like, you can copy it to other characters using the 'Copy Char' button on the SoD launcher. It copies the Charname_sod.ini and UI_Charname_sod.ini from one character to another, copying the layout. Make sure you close out of the client all the way for this to work. On the SoD forums, one of the players has put a lot of work into a custom UI called ClickSwap. In the google drive download there is even a template UI_Charname_sod.ini to copy from to save a lot of the work moving UI pieces around.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Stonewalljack posted:

Very little of the content is original EQ. Many zones, especially early and leveling zones are setup similarly to their orginal EQ format, but names, gear drops mob levels and abilities can differ.

Hmkay cool, thanks for the clarification!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Stonewalljack posted:

Yeah I'm with you, setting up and then rearranging a UI as I gain access to more abilities is one of the larger barriers to entry for me when playing new MMOs, and the original UI on EQ/SoD is crap. Once you get a UI set up the way you like, you can copy it to other characters using the 'Copy Char' button on the SoD launcher. It copies the Charname_sod.ini and UI_Charname_sod.ini from one character to another, copying the layout. Make sure you close out of the client all the way for this to work. On the SoD forums, one of the players has put a lot of work into a custom UI called ClickSwap. In the google drive download there is even a template UI_Charname_sod.ini to copy from to save a lot of the work moving UI pieces around.

I don’t want to go full custom, since I like the look of the classic EQ minimalist UI, but it’s gonna take me some time to figure out an arrangement for all the five million bars that suits me. Speaking of the minimalist UI, I can’t seem to figure out a way to get the old plain transparent black UI (like P99 has) in this client. Is it not available, or am I just missing it? The only UI skins I found just seem to change the icons, rather than the appearance of the windows. I don’t like the gold embellishments on the edges of the windows.

Thanks for the tip about the Copy Character button. That will save me a little trouble.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008
Have you tried copying the P99 UI into the SoD folder? Might work, though more likely to break.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I remember checking out SoD back in the day when Wiz was working on it. Looks like it's changed a lot.

As someone who doesn't like dualboxing in MMOs much, what classes are decent at soloing but still welcome in groups?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Pretty much anyone is welcome in a group honestly.

Casters are generally going to be able to solo the best, necro/mage are probably the best.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kenlon posted:

I remember checking out SoD back in the day when Wiz was working on it. Looks like it's changed a lot.

As someone who doesn't like dualboxing in MMOs much, what classes are decent at soloing but still welcome in groups?

Monk is nice because you can feign death anytime, but soloing champs are necros and magicians from what I’ve seen on the server so far

Honorable mention to druids and shaman

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
messing around in this on a necro, is there a place i can ask a bunch of noob questions... the discord seems kinda slow and i dont wanna bug everyone with a million questions there

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

ZionestLord posted:

messing around in this on a necro, is there a place i can ask a bunch of noob questions... the discord seems kinda slow and i dont wanna bug everyone with a million questions there

Don’t feel shy about asking in discord, that is one of the main reasons it’s around. You can ask here, in /ooc, or the newbie guild <Dalayan’s Beginners> as well.

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
well if anyone wants to run around with a complete noob sometime im level 5ish on my necro

edit: made it to level 9 almost 10 : )

ZionestLord fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 22, 2020

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Kenlon posted:

necro, mage, cleric (to an extent), bard, paladin if you stick to undead zones

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 22, 2020

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i'm also leveling a necromancer, and it seems fun even if i barely have any idea what i'm doing. i'm enjoying that quests seem to mostly give rewards that make it worth bothering to do them, too. and the community has been nice to my clueless self asking questions, so that's always good.

i just got level 13, soloing pulls in this froglok place (mielech?) is cool and kinda scary

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
necromancer is probably my favorite caster. I went warrior/druid because I love warrioring, but I think if I had to pick a single character instead of a duo I would go necro all the way.

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
trucking along on my necro at level 13, found some random friendly people to group with along the way.

If anyone wants to add me and do some grouping my guys name is Kiwogrou (lets hear it for the random name generator!)

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

Stonewalljack posted:

Population off-peak can drop into the low teens currently (with max peak around 100). I'll take a look this weekend and report back on what happens when season 1 starts.

To follow up on this, the peak population I have seen is in the 140s and the lowest I have seen is in the 40s since season started.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I hit 41 today with my duo and I’m slowly leveling alchemy on my druid, mainly just so my warrior gets more haste. SoD is so much fun

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
Hit 20 on my necro, wheres a good place to go to make use of my ability charm undead and blast them

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I believe the mielech tomb guardians turn into mummified frogloks at night

MF_James
May 8, 2008

20's a little low for that though I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
If you’re soloing yeah but it’s the only spot that comes to mind for me