Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

i played SoD fuckin' years ago, and the most fun poo poo they have is the hardcore 'if you die you die forever' mode which i played extensively for 6 months

i had about a dozen level 20 to 50 characters die horribly to loving aviak trains or plowed by a ton of frogs

Now that's the spirit!

Anyway I (fuwok) am back developing some cool, new content. I am very excited about the amount of actual good devs who are working together on content and backend right now. It is the most dev, admin, and staff churning out content that I can recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Roman Rambo posted:

Now that's the spirit!

Anyway I (fuwok) am back developing some cool, new content. I am very excited about the amount of actual good devs who are working together on content and backend right now. It is the most dev, admin, and staff churning out content that I can recall.

Awesome! I’m glad your back in it. I hope there’s more cooperation these days. I vaguely remember all kinds of inter dev drama years ago. Seemed like not a lot of communication going on.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Tabletops posted:

Awesome! I’m glad your back in it. I hope there’s more cooperation these days. I vaguely remember all kinds of inter dev drama years ago. Seemed like not a lot of communication going on.

Years ago there was this dude, Tarutao, who was a megalomaniac. I remember I had some weird glitch or bug where I didn't get a quest piece and he debated the philosophical ramifications of helping me out because it might set a precedent of favoritism. When I said something to the effect of, "dude it's a video game" he lost his poo poo and muted me from everything in the game for a day, if I remember correctly.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Null1fy posted:

Years ago there was this dude, Tarutao, who was a megalomaniac. I remember I had some weird glitch or bug where I didn't get a quest piece and he debated the philosophical ramifications of helping me out because it might set a precedent of favoritism. When I said something to the effect of, "dude it's a video game" he lost his poo poo and muted me from everything in the game for a day, if I remember correctly.

Hahaha I remember him. He sure was a loving prick.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Roman Rambo posted:

Now that's the spirit!

Aww poo poo glad you're back, didn't you do elds catacombs or windstone caverns? Haven't done windstone since I haven't played since 2013.

Played your warrior a shitload to get tomexp/charm cash, sadly never got the opportunity to play with you.

I'm glad there's a bunch of devs around now and folks that are geling, it's sad slaariel got chased off by the monk combo hate, I liked it, it was great for raids, though basically roundkickx3 was all you did it was better than nothing, though as folks said it made it somewhat hard to box but honestly it wasn't too bad if your other char wasn't high maintenance.

Tarutao was garbage, he was one of the worst folks around.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Lol yeah my warrior has been around a lot in his whoring life.

I did bloodstorm, abyss north, well-illustrated tmaps, and a bunch of adepts. Maybe a smattering of other stuff, who knows.

slaariel did Windstone, murk, and a bunch of other cool poo poo.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
We need more people in the guild. It's shared between season/non-season just as a chat channel basically.

I mean if there are a few newer people still playing I guess.

j883376
Aug 7, 2006

Linux Toddler!

Tom Powers posted:

We need more people in the guild. It's shared between season/non-season just as a chat channel basically.

I mean if there are a few newer people still playing I guess.

If anybody needs a guild invite, feel free to send me a tell on Airdan or Merlara. I can give out officer to a couple people as well to do invites.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Is this playable if I don’t plan to dual box? Or is it gonna be terrible?

Like I know Cleric at 65 or whatever sure - just main that. But the rest of the time?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

There are a fair amount of people leveling up now but uh probably it will stink unless you play a strong soloing character

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
i just started today playing hardcore (got to level 13) and i noticed there wasn't a priest of war (The npc that activates PVP and Hardcore mode in SoD) in Grobb and i verbalized that in the /ooc chat and one of the gms just spawned one there

:sun:

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

i just started today playing hardcore (got to level 13) and i noticed there wasn't a priest of war (The npc that activates PVP and Hardcore mode in SoD) in Grobb and i verbalized that in the /ooc chat and one of the gms just spawned one there

:sun:

nevermind, dead at level 16 by getting plowed by frogs :(

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Chat channels are working again for the time being, hopefully permanently, apparently. Rather than getting everyone in the guild we should probably set up a channel, cause I know a lot of Goons are in different guilds anyway.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

my 22 hardcore necro is trarpped in a wall and i altf4ed quick i think im gonna die

its on a ladder rso i cant cast gate orr attack

edit: ded

1001 Arabian dicks fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 6, 2021

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

my 22 hardcore necro is trarpped in a wall and i altf4ed quick i think im gonna die

its on a ladder rso i cant cast gate orr attack

edit: ded

You may be used to in the past where you could alt F4 or /q, then log back in to character select quickly to leave the server and and prevent some deaths. In the last 3-4 months this was ninja fixed, and you stay in the game for minutes before logging off. I haven't tested this in the last 2 months, (sometimes they break stuff again) but you might want to check before trying this again to save yourself. Also if you get summoned into a wall, you can try /rewind real quick to get out.

Edit: for clarity

Stonewalljack fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 6, 2021

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

/rewind ok ty

i just walked into a ladder and it phased me into a wall, but since i was climbing i couldn't cast spells, or do anything and a frog slowly killed me

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Ok, what am I missing about the Dream thingy? I hail the guide, he tells me to go past him to the Challenge, the Sorcerer, and the Choice, and then...?

There isn't anything past him, and the gate doesn't seem to have any way of opening. I'm absolutely lost.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

El Fideo posted:

Ok, what am I missing about the Dream thingy? I hail the guide, he tells me to go past him to the Challenge, the Sorcerer, and the Choice, and then...?

There isn't anything past him, and the gate doesn't seem to have any way of opening. I'm absolutely lost.

Hehe press m to bring up the map. You run the other way.

Don’t forget to talk to the seasons guide to get flagged!

MF_James
May 8, 2008

El Fideo posted:

You should also start in the Dalayan Beginners guild, folks are super helpful, sometimes a bit snarky but overall folks want people to have a good experience.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

nevermind, dead at level 16 by getting plowed by frogs :(

I think I found your corpse in meilech a day or two ago i forget. Unless it was another hardcore player that died around then.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Stealthgerbil posted:

I think I found your corpse in meilech a day or two ago i forget. Unless it was another hardcore player that died around then.

Are you playing seasonal bloooooooog what is your character name

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Stealthgerbil posted:

it was probably me :(

now i am troll shadowknight, much stronker

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Can this coexist peacefully with EQ? I'm on a TLP as a 60 necro and doing the raid thing and having a blast, but wouldn't mind checking out this for off time. Do I just copy my EQ folder and rename it, toss the patcher in there and it's good? It also says dual box, so I could run the exe twice and run a necro in one window on one account, and a bard in another window on another account?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Yeah, just install SoD in a separate directory from normal EQ.

I think SOD specifically requires the Steam version of EQ but I think you end up just copying those files to a new folder for SoD.

The normal EQ patcher would probably poo poo itself if you tried to run both from the same directory.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Philthy posted:

Can this coexist peacefully with EQ? I'm on a TLP as a 60 necro and doing the raid thing and having a blast, but wouldn't mind checking out this for off time. Do I just copy my EQ folder and rename it, toss the patcher in there and it's good? It also says dual box, so I could run the exe twice and run a necro in one window on one account, and a bard in another window on another account?

Download the steam version of EQ and copy that one, trust me. Lot less fuckery that way.

You run the patcher, then just click Run Game twice to 2box.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

i'm level 23 and my gear is starting to become lackluster ( random cloth and leather pieces )

any suggestions of what to get for a hardcore and seasonal character?

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
Had a goon ask me for invite to the guild and I can't invite so I went ahead and set up the Goon chat channel.

/join Goon
/autojoin Goon
use /4 to talk in it (or whatever number it happens to be assigned to - 1 after you /autojoin and log back in, we're #1!!!)

I don't know what moderation is so if someone wants leadership of the channel that's fine, but I think we should have one since we have so many goons in different guilds.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 8, 2021

MF_James
May 8, 2008

i'm level 23 and my gear is starting to become lackluster ( random cloth and leather pieces )

any suggestions of what to get for a hardcore and seasonal character?

There are newbie quests for each class in their starting cities, not sure what class/race you are if you said that I could point you in the right direction, but I would look on the wiki, go to your class and then the quests section on the right should have an (ok) list of quests that you can do for gear.

Tom Powers posted:

Had a goon ask me for invite to the guild and I can't invite so I went ahead and set up the Goon chat channel.

/join Goon
/autojoin Goon
use /4 to talk in it (or whatever number it happens to be assigned to - 1 after you /autojoin and log back in, we're #1!!!)

I don't know what moderation is so if someone wants leadership of the channel that's fine, but I think we should have one since we have so many goons in different guilds.

Jumbers is generally around in the discord if people ask him he'll often hop on and give invites; I'll see if I can harass him to get officer as well so I can do the same.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Stonewalljack posted:

Two box only (and make them on separate accounts or you will just disconnect yourself when you try and log on a second character from the same account).

How's the balance for low level players if you choose not to dual box(assuming you're not like, war/rog for obvious reasons). Is the population such that you can actually get exp groups or do you need a dedicated plan to get higher level?

I always wanted to go back and play EQ Beastlords again, they were the best back in the day, but they aren't in P99 and TAKP is a mess.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

How's the balance for low level players if you choose not to dual box(assuming you're not like, war/rog for obvious reasons). Is the population such that you can actually get exp groups or do you need a dedicated plan to get higher level?

I always wanted to go back and play EQ Beastlords again, they were the best back in the day, but they aren't in P99 and TAKP is a mess.

Soloing is feasible for several classes. Beastlords are decent at soloing, though it can be rough in the first 20 levels as you don't start with your pet or a lot of your signature spells. Going troll or iksar for regen might overcome that. Also bind wound will take you to full, and you can buy medical kits from general merchants that have 20 charges and produce 20 bandages a click.

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
I started as a troll beastord and had a very easy experience up to lvl 15 in stingers bog with periodic forays into the entrance of miela (once it becomes relevant and doable) all solo.

With troll regen i really did not lose much health with even con or lower until level 14ish. If you can single pull as a troll or lizard I assume things would be easy.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Even Iksar regen is incredibly noticeable at low level. My (currently solo, until he reaches same level as my SK) iksar shaman basically never needs to heal himself unless he's fighting an even-con or gets an add. I definitely didn't have that experience with my other, non-iksar (and non-troll) characters.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Troll regen is ridiculous at lower levels

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Yeah regen early game is crazy, troll regen basically is noticeable until 30s.

Trolls also are pretty good because of their other passives.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

MF_James posted:

There are newbie quests for each class in their starting cities, not sure what class/race you are if you said that I could point you in the right direction, but I would look on the wiki, go to your class and then the quests section on the right should have an (ok) list of quests that you can do for gear.

At 25 my SK is really starting to feel the effects of essentially being naked with the learner starter weapon. Are there specific quests that could help me out that don't require me to do long inconvenient chains? There are a ton of quests and I'm not sure which items are the ones that are worth it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

At 25 my SK is really starting to feel the effects of essentially being naked with the learner starter weapon. Are there specific quests that could help me out that don't require me to do long inconvenient chains? There are a ton of quests and I'm not sure which items are the ones that are worth it.

Oggok plate quests. Training with Bonmig or something, check the wiki. I was still using some pieces as a fresh 65

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
How about the same question, but for a Bard? I see there's a Vah questline for bard armor that looks pretty decent... or, the latter half does. The first half kinda sucks.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
The Vah questline seems good, especially the weapon at the end.

The first half probably sucks because you get it so early, and you won't finish it until the 30s.

Antique Platemail around Newport is the same way. Some of the pieces are just straight up drops you can grab, so if those are the ones you're interested in you can skip all of the other quest stuff leading up to them if you want. I think the Vah stuff pretty much replaces all of the Antique plate though. There's a 1.1 all instruments belt from a Newport questline, but the one before it has you running about collecting Bard reports.

Starfall quests give a couple of good items.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Yeah I'm gonna do the Vah questline for sure. The Antique Plate gear is definitely better for some slots compared to the Vah line, so I'll still probably do it (plus my idiot lizard brain loves doing quests, even if they're not really worth it).

Apparently non-druid (and wizard?) good races are all super-KOS to trolls, which sucks because the trolls have an easy quest to get a really good weight reduction bag. I guess I need to convince somebody with an enchanter high enough to cast illusion: troll to cast it on my character and see if that makes me not-KOS. If so, I should be able to complete the quest before the spell wears off. Are trolls and iksars KOS to good race cities? I know dark elves aren't, but they're a weird case on SoD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008
Good races are KoS in Grobb and evil races are KoS in Halas for the most part due to lore . Those are also the only two non-Ikisith (kunark) cities without mansion of portals access.