Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010

Dick Burglar posted:

Yeah I'm gonna do the Vah questline for sure. The Antique Plate gear is definitely better for some slots compared to the Vah line, so I'll still probably do it (plus my idiot lizard brain loves doing quests, even if they're not really worth it).

Apparently non-druid (and wizard?) good races are all super-KOS to trolls, which sucks because the trolls have an easy quest to get a really good weight reduction bag. I guess I need to convince somebody with an enchanter high enough to cast illusion: troll to cast it on my character and see if that makes me not-KOS. If so, I should be able to complete the quest before the spell wears off. Are trolls and iksars KOS to good race cities? I know dark elves aren't, but they're a weird case on SoD.

If you see me online (Haussmann) I can illusion you to most things anyone might need (except a Froglok or Taldorian, wth even is a Taldorian), drop me a PM (in-game), I'm usually getting online right about now, 8pm PST.

PS.
Oh, and i'm Seasonal.

Goodchild fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I am up to L20ish and realized I didnt do the seasonal thing. I got some friends joining and we need to pick the same thing to allow for trading.

Is there a write-up of what the seasonal aspect entails? Love the server.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I am up to L20ish and realized I didnt do the seasonal thing. I got some friends joining and we need to pick the same thing to allow for trading.

Seasonal is basically:

1) Can't trade/group with non-seasonal
2) You can't do adepts
3) You get seasonal points you can exchange for rewards

Most folks are playing seasonal now, though ?most? people are high level as far as I can tell, but if you have friends you'll have a fun time.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

You can find a lengthy summary here: https://forum.shardsofdalaya.com/threads/season-1-event-announcement.31140/

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Awesome, thank you both.

Numberwang!!!
Jul 24, 2019

So I was playing and having a lot of fun up until level 15ish when I realized soloing sucks. I tried dual boxing and found it to be way too huge of a headache to be anywhere near worth it.

I asked in /ooc about using some sort of macro/software to assist with this and I got plenty of "go ahead but you'll get banned" responses...

When people dual box a healer, are they *literally* alt tabbing, pressing heal, alt tabbing back, several times per fight? Then alt tabbing, clicking follow, alt tabbing back after the fight is over???

Like, we're talking hundreds, if not thousands, of alt tabs per day. I just can't wrap my head around this...

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Oh the horror of it all, having to push 2 buttons simultaneously, potentially tons of times a day!

People are either running 2 computers (I used to run a shitbox laptop that I bought for $50 on the desk next to my main keyboard) or alt-tabbing.

I honestly don't even know how to describe what I feel about your complaint, but somewhere in the arena of laughably stupid and sad; maybe that's because I use keyboard shortcuts thousands of times a day for work, one of them being alt-tab.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
I've never had any issues using hotkeynet to use as a toggle for switching between clients so you can dual box effectively although not for sending commands to multiple clients at once. The server is supposedly goon run so perhaps staff can shed some light.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

MF_James posted:

Oh the horror of it all, having to push 2 buttons simultaneously, potentially tons of times a day!

People are either running 2 computers (I used to run a shitbox laptop that I bought ffor $50 on the desk next to my main keyboard) or alt-tabbing.

I honestly don't even know how to describe what I feel about your complaint, but somewhere in the arena of laughably stupid and sad; maybe that's because I use keyboard shortcuts thousands of times a day for work, one of them being alt-tab.

Lol wtf type of response is this. It is clunky no matter how familiar you are with alt-tabbing.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008
I bound alt tab to one of the buttons on my programmable mouse; wineq (which is allowed) also lets you designate a button just for swapping. My typical box is tank or monk plus cleric; I find I tend to be spamming buttons a lot less duoing then I do on newer mmo rotations for one character.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Idle Amalgam posted:

Lol wtf type of response is this. It is clunky no matter how familiar you are with alt-tabbing.

oh no my 20 year old game is clunky and the people running my free server don't want us using exploit programs.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

MF_James posted:

oh no my 20 year old game is clunky and the people running my free server don't want us using exploit programs.

Lmao okay

Numberwang!!!
Jul 24, 2019

I have carpal tunnel and it's really difficult to play video games in general (especially action games) without using some sort of assistance, like AutoHotKey.

All I want is something relatively simple, like pressing "1" and my cleric heals me.

I understand how full automation could ruin a game like this, but "one button = one action" seems to be the standard in MMOs that allow dual boxing.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Numberwang!!! posted:

I have carpal tunnel and it's really difficult to play video games in general (especially action games) without using some sort of assistance, like AutoHotKey.

All I want is something relatively simple, like pressing "1" and my cleric heals me.

I understand how full automation could ruin a game like this, but "one button = one action" seems to be the standard in MMOs that allow dual boxing.

So, you can use winEQ as someone above mentioned, honestly forgot about that actually existing.

Per the SOD policies:

quote:

Any third-party programs that is designed to alter the client, sniff or alter the data communication between client and server, or automate any task within the client are expressively forbidden. Log parsers are ok.

So, you can use something like GINA (parses log file and gives audio triggers when a configured thing happens), but you cannot use something like MQ; I believe AHK falls into this category but it's not something I can specifically remember seeing.

A forum post on SOD forums from 2008: https://forum.shardsofdalaya.com/threads/key-cloning.16113/#post-153576

Not exactly AHK but you can't automate pushing buttons on both clients, you COULD use AHK to bind alt-tab to a single button and then use an in-game hotkey bound to a heal or whatever, but you can't use anything that, with the push of a single key press, will send multiple key presses to a single (or multiple) clients.

Edit: hell it would (probably) be permissible to use AHK to bind a button that alt-tabs, presses 1, then alt-tabs again.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 28, 2021

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
or a script that sends button presses 1-5 to client one, and 6-0 to client two.

either way, that's effectively undetectable.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

it is a little clunky at first but you get used to it. also you can make a hotkey that casts a bunch of spells in a row which helps.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I just got L50 on my first boxed pair and am wondering about AAs. When do those start and is there some info on best practices on when to start them and what to prioritize?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I just got L50 on my first boxed pair and am wondering about AAs. When do those start and is there some info on best practices on when to start them and what to prioritize?

Don't start until 65, you get a bonus to AA xp then.

I mean it depends on the class, but generally I'd do run speed 3 + health regen 3, typically afterwards I would go up to archetype AAs and do natural durability 3, then, depending on class you'll want to do something that makes you better at your role i.e. healers do healing adept/gift; if you are at the wis/int cap on a priest/caster you might want to think about the ones that increase your cap so you can increase mana pool.

Basically, make yourself better at your role and increase survivability, overall archetype AAs and class AAs will do this the best.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

Stealthgerbil posted:

it is a little clunky at first but you get used to it. also you can make a hotkey that casts a bunch of spells in a row which helps.

You don't even really need to do this with AHK, you can make an in game macro that will cast a spell, pause a certain amount of time, cast another spell etc.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

MF_James posted:

Don't start until 65, you get a bonus to AA xp then.

I mean it depends on the class, but generally I'd do run speed 3 + health regen 3, typically afterwards I would go up to archetype AAs and do natural durability 3, then, depending on class you'll want to do something that makes you better at your role i.e. healers do healing adept/gift; if you are at the wis/int cap on a priest/caster you might want to think about the ones that increase your cap so you can increase mana pool.

Basically, make yourself better at your role and increase survivability, overall archetype AAs and class AAs will do this the best.

OK, that all makes sense, thanks.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Stonewalljack posted:

You don't even really need to do this with AHK, you can make an in game macro that will cast a spell, pause a certain amount of time, cast another spell etc.

Oh yea thats what I was referring to. Its great for making a button that spams heals or offensive spells.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I accidentally chose the wrong path from Tresaria for the main quest. Is there a way to roll it back so I can pick the right one?

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I accidentally chose the wrong path from Tresaria for the main quest. Is there a way to roll it back so I can pick the right one?

Are you talking about Tesia in the Heartlands? If so that is an optional quest that just gives some alignment hits you can fix further down the road.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Stonewalljack posted:

Are you talking about Tesia in the Heartlands? If so that is an optional quest that just gives some alignment hits you can fix further down the road.

No, the lady in Sea of Swords. I chose the good path by accident.

e: for one of the optional quests. Not the end of the world. I mostly want the 100k exp and the good version sucks.

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 29, 2021

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

No, the lady in Sea of Swords. I chose the good path by accident.

e: for one of the optional quests. Not the end of the world. I mostly want the 100k exp and the good version sucks.

Ah yeah, you are probably stuck. You could try to put a petition in, but that is hit or miss.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Season 1 was a lot of fun, looking forward to season 2. Gonna be going necro/beastlord or something.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

please knock Mom! posted:

Season 1 was a lot of fun, looking forward to season 2. Gonna be going necro/beastlord or something.

Glad you had fun! I was debating updating the OP or letting this thread go to archives and make a new one in a few months. The developers are somewhat active right now and have rebalanced a lot of top end weapons as well as enchanters. There were some bugs and omissions on both, and enchanters don稚 seem too happy at the moment. There is new content on the way, but it is not out yet. I値l probably wait until the recent changes are refined and the new content drops to try and generate interest again.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Talking new content on the high end or lower end stuff?

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

Talking new content on the high end or lower end stuff?

Unknown, the only things mentioned so far is it will be original geometry (like zen malath) and a 6 man zone. Here is the forum thread: https://forum.shardsofdalaya.com/threads/sunken-cathedral-bugs-and-feedback-thread.31226/

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Heard there痴 a new season coming in December. I値l be singleboxing probably, sounds fun.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008
If this thread is still active at that time I値l update the OP. If it falls back a page again I値l make a new post. Though if someone else wants to take over that is great too.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I wish I didn't constantly bounce off this server because it's got so much cool content

if I wanted to jump in next season what's a class with decent solo ability? I don't want to box and I play odd hours so my ability to group would be spotty

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

blatman posted:

I wish I didn't constantly bounce off this server because it's got so much cool content

if I wanted to jump in next season what's a class with decent solo ability? I don't want to box and I play odd hours so my ability to group would be spotty

If season 1 was anything to go by, there値l be plenty of groups. But the usual goes, necromancer probably being best

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Honorable mention to beastlord, monk, shaman, druid, ench until later because sod loves magic immune mobs

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

If season 1 was anything to go by, there値l be plenty of groups. But the usual goes, necromancer probably being best

Honorable mention to beastlord, monk, shaman, druid, ench until later because sod loves magic immune mobs

thanks, so basically what you would expect from a game based around EQ, that makes sense!
i'm gonna bookmark this thread and check in around season start time, i'll probably end up going beastlord because I don't know if I can stomach necro kiting mobs between groups for too terribly long

edit: holy dang apparently barbarian beastlords can get a rabbit pet and ogres can get a skunk

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Enchanter isn稚 godmode and melees/dps have it a lot better because of gear + regeneration being way buffed.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Stonewalljack posted:

If this thread is still active at that time I値l update the OP. If it falls back a page again I値l make a new post. Though if someone else wants to take over that is great too.

I could try my hand at an OP if you're okay with me lifting a lot of the background info etc off of yours.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Help, my dumb rear end wants to play EQ again!

Also folks in the Discord said Season 2 is apparently going to start in early January now.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

I could try my hand at an OP if you're okay with me lifting a lot of the background info etc off of yours.

Please do, a lot of mine was taken from previous posts. Some of the class descriptions are no longer accurate with recent changes; enchanters being the most affected from what I read on the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Was Season 1 particularly alive? I love SoD and all its incredible content but I hate dual-boxing and always wound up burning out before getting to the part where there were people to play with.