Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

SoD is good, the grind can be (was?) a bit brutal. Did the goon rush like 6-7 years ago, ended up getting up to turruj and doing the firebird in PoFire (so like T14?) but we petered out and life happened.

It's a ton of fun though, it's a ton of fun leveling with people and getting into raiding isn't too bad, up to like t9/10 it wasn't a horrible grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sounds like a decent amount of Goon Squad people are coming back/rolling season characters, not sure what that translates to long term, but I'll be rolling a duo and we'll have folks active/online in Goon Squad again.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Pretty much anyone is welcome in a group honestly.

Casters are generally going to be able to solo the best, necro/mage are probably the best.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

20's a little low for that though I think?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Dick Burglar posted:

My characters are in the single digits or low double digits (12 being the highest), and I feel like I'm missing out on a bunch of good quests simply because I don't know about them and there are basically zero breadcrumbs to most of them. I didn't even know there were newbie bag quests. That's one thing that sucks about EQ's archaic design, just an utter lack of direction or documentation. Argh.

Use the wiki, the SOD wiki is super good; quest rewards just got updated so not all the gear stats are updated (though folks might be updating them since they just ran through them all) but the quests are on there and steps etc.

Like, say you have a warrior and go to the warrior page: https://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Warrior

On the right you will see the warrior quests link, go there and it should list most of the warrior quests you can do pre-65, there are a bunch of 65 quests (like highend quests) that aren't fully/properly documented because only 1 or 2 people have actually completed it, such as the Jyre quest; though maybe more folks have finished that and actually documented it all the way through at this point, when I looked 6 years or so ago it was not.

*edit*

Also, if you ask folks in OOC/dalayan beginners/Goon Squad they can probably help direct you to things, though if you're going to ask "What quests can I do as a level 10 gnome warrior" they will probably tell you to look at wiki.

Also, if you're in GS and someone is nearby they can probably toss you a few plat for bags/spells etc and might have some leftover gear, though that's less likely atm.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 29, 2020

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Dick Burglar posted:

I am using the wiki, and I am using the class quest section. The problem is, that’s incomplete. Things like the bag quest are for multiple classes, and therefore are not listed in the class quest section. I think what I will do is look up quests in a given zone and use that instead.

Also, I seem to be having trouble with my bard. Supposedly you can sing multiple beneficial songs, I forget how many, and at least one detrimental song, but when I’m using the low level aoe damage song it seems to turn off after a while and I have to restart it. It’s really inconsistent. What gives?

Ahh, I see what you mean about quests.

I've literally never played a bard, but my guess is it's a bard fizzle, I think missed note or something, you should see something in the chat log, though I could be incorrect and maybe someone else knows for sure.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Null1fy posted:

Buttons to push, namely. Boxing (especially in SoD where you can't use tool-assisted scripting) is exhausting. The game is a marathon. Hours, days and months of pushing the same buttons (and Beastlords push a lot of them) will wear on you if you're frantically alt-tabbing between boxes and mashing buttons.

An example: Slaariel (A dude who spent years developing the game) worked at re-vamping Monks to become more interesting some years ago. He made it so that using combinations of stances made the Monk do an interesting attack. It was very good, but impossible to effectively box. The player response cried out, "My Monk is unplayable now!". Slaariel poo poo-canned the system and withdrew into himself, defeated and sour that the re-vamp wasn't well-received.

I liked that revamp, but yeah it was really tough to box unless you were doing cleric/monk and essentially just healing on the cleric.

Dick Burglar posted:

Do bards really out-DPS rangers and monks and the likes? On top of being turbo buff machines? That makes things harder, since I was really looking forward to playing a ranger that wasn't complete garbo and was maybe kinda-competitive. But if bards are basically still just better at everything (aside from tracking, I guess), I'm back to "what's the point of playing a ranger?" I guess I could just pretend my wood elf bard is a ranger, since the only real difference is bards can't use bows :v:

I am both too cheap to change it*, and also it's funny because the person who gave it to me clearly read the post in question completely backwards.

* I guess now that Lowtax won't get any of the money I might actually pay to change it to something less garish, but I haven't really felt inspired.

Bards out dps people at the very high-end, which, to be frank, you will probably never see; rangers are still very competitive and good. Also, every class is useful on raids due to them having unique buffs; iirc rangers get an attack buff that no one else can match.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Roman Rambo posted:

Now that's the spirit!

Anyway I (fuwok) am back developing some cool, new content. I am very excited about the amount of actual good devs who are working together on content and backend right now. It is the most dev, admin, and staff churning out content that I can recall.

Aww poo poo glad you're back, didn't you do elds catacombs or windstone caverns? Haven't done windstone since I haven't played since 2013.

Played your warrior a shitload to get tomexp/charm cash, sadly never got the opportunity to play with you.

I'm glad there's a bunch of devs around now and folks that are geling, it's sad slaariel got chased off by the monk combo hate, I liked it, it was great for raids, though basically roundkickx3 was all you did it was better than nothing, though as folks said it made it somewhat hard to box but honestly it wasn't too bad if your other char wasn't high maintenance.

Tarutao was garbage, he was one of the worst folks around.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

There are a fair amount of people leveling up now but uh probably it will stink unless you play a strong soloing character

MF_James
May 8, 2008

El Fideo posted:

Ok, what am I missing about the Dream thingy? I hail the guide, he tells me to go past him to the Challenge, the Sorcerer, and the Choice, and then...?

There isn't anything past him, and the gate doesn't seem to have any way of opening. I'm absolutely lost.

You should also start in the Dalayan Beginners guild, folks are super helpful, sometimes a bit snarky but overall folks want people to have a good experience.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Stealthgerbil posted:

I think I found your corpse in meilech a day or two ago i forget. Unless it was another hardcore player that died around then.

Are you playing seasonal bloooooooog what is your character name

MF_James
May 8, 2008

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

i'm level 23 and my gear is starting to become lackluster ( random cloth and leather pieces )

any suggestions of what to get for a hardcore and seasonal character?

There are newbie quests for each class in their starting cities, not sure what class/race you are if you said that I could point you in the right direction, but I would look on the wiki, go to your class and then the quests section on the right should have an (ok) list of quests that you can do for gear.

Tom Powers posted:

Had a goon ask me for invite to the guild and I can't invite so I went ahead and set up the Goon chat channel.

/join Goon
/autojoin Goon
use /4 to talk in it (or whatever number it happens to be assigned to - 1 after you /autojoin and log back in, we're #1!!!)

I don't know what moderation is so if someone wants leadership of the channel that's fine, but I think we should have one since we have so many goons in different guilds.

Jumbers is generally around in the discord if people ask him he'll often hop on and give invites; I'll see if I can harass him to get officer as well so I can do the same.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Yeah regen early game is crazy, troll regen basically is noticeable until 30s.

Trolls also are pretty good because of their other passives.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I am up to L20ish and realized I didnt do the seasonal thing. I got some friends joining and we need to pick the same thing to allow for trading.

Is there a write-up of what the seasonal aspect entails? Love the server.

Seasonal is basically:

1) Can't trade/group with non-seasonal
2) You can't do adepts
3) You get seasonal points you can exchange for rewards

Most folks are playing seasonal now, though ?most? people are high level as far as I can tell, but if you have friends you'll have a fun time.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Oh the horror of it all, having to push 2 buttons simultaneously, potentially tons of times a day!

People are either running 2 computers (I used to run a shitbox laptop that I bought for $50 on the desk next to my main keyboard) or alt-tabbing.

I honestly don't even know how to describe what I feel about your complaint, but somewhere in the arena of laughably stupid and sad; maybe that's because I use keyboard shortcuts thousands of times a day for work, one of them being alt-tab.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Idle Amalgam posted:

Lol wtf type of response is this. It is clunky no matter how familiar you are with alt-tabbing.

oh no my 20 year old game is clunky and the people running my free server don't want us using exploit programs.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Numberwang!!! posted:

I have carpal tunnel and it's really difficult to play video games in general (especially action games) without using some sort of assistance, like AutoHotKey.

All I want is something relatively simple, like pressing "1" and my cleric heals me.

I understand how full automation could ruin a game like this, but "one button = one action" seems to be the standard in MMOs that allow dual boxing.

So, you can use winEQ as someone above mentioned, honestly forgot about that actually existing.

Per the SOD policies:

quote:

Any third-party programs that is designed to alter the client, sniff or alter the data communication between client and server, or automate any task within the client are expressively forbidden. Log parsers are ok.

So, you can use something like GINA (parses log file and gives audio triggers when a configured thing happens), but you cannot use something like MQ; I believe AHK falls into this category but it's not something I can specifically remember seeing.

A forum post on SOD forums from 2008: https://forum.shardsofdalaya.com/threads/key-cloning.16113/#post-153576

Not exactly AHK but you can't automate pushing buttons on both clients, you COULD use AHK to bind alt-tab to a single button and then use an in-game hotkey bound to a heal or whatever, but you can't use anything that, with the push of a single key press, will send multiple key presses to a single (or multiple) clients.

Edit: hell it would (probably) be permissible to use AHK to bind a button that alt-tabs, presses 1, then alt-tabs again.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I just got L50 on my first boxed pair and am wondering about AAs. When do those start and is there some info on best practices on when to start them and what to prioritize?

Don't start until 65, you get a bonus to AA xp then.

I mean it depends on the class, but generally I'd do run speed 3 + health regen 3, typically afterwards I would go up to archetype AAs and do natural durability 3, then, depending on class you'll want to do something that makes you better at your role i.e. healers do healing adept/gift; if you are at the wis/int cap on a priest/caster you might want to think about the ones that increase your cap so you can increase mana pool.

Basically, make yourself better at your role and increase survivability, overall archetype AAs and class AAs will do this the best.