Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
What’re the boxing rules, is it fully allowed or can you only two box, or..? I tried SoD in the past, it was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Stonewalljack posted:

Two box only (and make them on separate accounts or you will just disconnect yourself when you try and log on a second character from the same account).

That's really nice. I enjoy no-boxing, but everything else in p99 is garbage including the community. I'm up for this, honestly. It's been close to a decade since I last played SoD however, so I'm going in blind, naked, and afraid.

E: If anyone is game for grouping up, please

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 6, 2020

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Carmant posted:

I've tried to get into this a few times but it always felt even grindier/more difficult than P99 which is just lol. Seems really cool though.

How? I just booted it up and I was baffled at how my level 1 warrior lizard dude was able to just take on 4 even cons at the same time at level 1. Back on p99 you probably lost a manfight against a single even con that early. No corpse runs are really nice as well, and you get actual gear right off the bat. Does it get worse later?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I started an iksar warrior, and I'm considering an iksar shaman or froglok cleric as a box buddy for him. Dunno which one of the two yet.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Druid could be really nice, yeah. Which race would you suggest on SoD? I was thinking froglok for cleric. Might still go cleric, but I’m fully aware that not having ports probably sucks even with the portal haus closeby. Might go shaman as well, honestly. The race choices for druid are uncharacteristically boring for EQ.

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 7, 2020

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Cool! I think I'll go with a shaman for now. More utility than a cleric, and I don't think I'm cut out for raiding anyway (busy schedule so I have like one or max two nights a week).

I got my warrior to level 10, and right now I'm just trying to find that giant leech for the blackscale greaves quest. So far it's pretty fun, your character doesn't feel as weak as in p99 and apparently warriors get a skill at level 15 which lets them kill things super effectively.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Stonewalljack posted:

Yeah, bloodlust is a great sustain ability, it heals you for atleast 20% (can be increased to about 27% with healing increment focus)of your melee damage. You can keep it up 6 out of every 10 seconds (eventually can be 6 out of 9.5 seconds with an AA unlocked from a book).

I’ve been playing around with new characters to practice for seasons. With the recent buff changes, shaman should have additional strength while leveling as you can just maintain your large amount of static buffs without having to recast every 20 minutes.

Yeah, I heard some complaints about this buff change, but it kind of owns if you're boxing. I don't really like boxing that much, though. Much prefer playing a single character while very occasionally pressing a button on the second one. Might just go cleric just because of that--it's a much more passive second box.

Game's really low pop, though. It's doable, but... jarring change from P99.

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 7, 2020

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah, that makes sense. The discord is nice enough. I'm game for joining a seasonal guild, but I'm in a European time zone and not exactly cut out for long-term hardcore playing, so that's an issue I think.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Woo, I got one or two friends new to EQ (lmao) to join me. They found P99 too punishing, and I completely expect them to flunk out in the first week or so, I wouldn't blame them either. My shaman/warrior test drive went pretty well, got them up to level 15 and they're plowing through Halls of Mielech. It's my 8th EQ warrior though, and my P99 main was an epic'd shaman, so I think I'll try something else. We're likely going all-iksar, with one of my friends single-boxing a monk.

I think I'll go iksar shadowknight for a change, mostly since I don't want my new-to-EQ friend to be in charge of pulling entirely by himself. I might box us a healer, since SK/monk sounds like a garbage combo by itself, and a healer might let us achieve great things.

Halls of Mielech is pretty neat. The loot was updated, and one of the early named mobs drops a 20 AC chestpiece with bane and stats as well as a 5/10 (!) ratio 1hb weapon. It's lore, but both SK and monk are going to love that thing. Where P99 is almost more of a survival game early on, SoD lets me chill a little while also allowing me to take a risk every now and then without the drawback of a mile-long corpse run and/or loss of levels. The XP debt is just enough to keep you on your toes without sucking the fun out of things.

I'm pretty glad. The only downside is that so far, I've gotten the impression that the playerbase is mainly a hard core of... well, very hardcore players. I'm not sure that I'm a great match, but I'll get by. If my friends end up dropping out I'll just continue two-manning it with my SK and shaman.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

cmdrk posted:

Also does the client support old models?

Yeah, use the graphics settings.

Also, even if players would be able to interact through standard<->seasonal, it's explicitly not allowed, so...

Stonewalljack posted:

A lot of the SoD player base has been around for over a decade. They will be polite and answer questions, but typically not invest time in playing with new players immediately. As with any game, there is quite a bit of turnover as people get the feel of the game over the first couple weeks or months.

I mean, I epic'd a shaman in P99, so I definitely have the brain damage required to stick with this. It's fun to do a custom EQ story, and I like the personal progression achieved through AAs. I'd be extremely surprised if my friends stick with it longer than a quick tour of this crazy old MMO. What's the approximate level at which the existing game community roughly considers you as someone who isn't going to quit in a week?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Stonewalljack posted:

It tends to be more of random chance over time thing; if you are doing something when someone else is bored or doing the same thing they’ll interact. At low levels typically it’s less rare to be doing something you both can have fun with. I’m happy to play with you when season starts, though my play time can vary by day. Not playing much right now other then testing stuff occasionally. I’m Daemong on the SoD discord.

I'm catte#1312 on Discord. I'd be glad to meet up with you for sure. I don't think we'll 'keep up' with anyone else though, since I'm planning to get my friends a somewhat curated experience by doing their class quests and other random exploration/adventuring type things instead of efficiently exping. You're welcome to join, or help, or just hang out with us, we're pretty chill people. If my friends end up quitting I'll be game for just latching on to you and grinding exp as well.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

LordOfTheNoobs posted:

Can beastlords tame other things as pets? Kinda want to have a bug of sorts as a pet, though I share very little experience with EQ stuff.

There's a list of possible pets per race here: https://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Beastlord

You get your pet at level 9, and you can change it to another pet with an apparently (according to the wiki) difficult questline, so you can't just pick any model you want.

My friends and I are pretty EU-based, by the way. All the classes you listed are traditionally EQ soloing powerhouses though, and they all work decently enough with a duo partner as well.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Slugs don't count? :v:

I charm-killed bugs a lot as a Druid on other servers, but that's all I know.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I just hope the existing playerbase will try pulling new blood into the fold instead of treating it like a straight up race, though the rewards might disincentivize that

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The adventuring band system owns, honestly. The fact I can set up a leveling static without actually scheduling playing times during covid-bullshit is great.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Stonewalljack posted:

There are quite a few players who have argued for wipes over the years. The administration has not really shown an indication it was part of the plan, but then again they don't communicate plans much beyond current changes. A week or two isn't that far behind if you are really interested. Yes some people will already be 65, but that's the shortest part of the journey. A fresh 65 will be able to contribute to groups of 65s with at most a couple hundred AA easily, and people have estimated making it to tier 7-8 raiding by the end of the season. Having a character or duo at tier 7 or 8 allows you to advance your character quite a bit on your own (more options for money gain, experience gain, and getting far in the main quests and faction quests). Tier 10-11 content is regularly cleared, and a tier 7 character that invested time into progressing AAs and their charm shouldn't have too hard a time finding a guild to play with.

Edit - started FAQ on first post. First subject is the amount of grind in SoD.

Any guild recommendations for people who manage to make it to 65?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Cool, thanks. Probably spending the first day gathering my herd and getting everyone through a few of their starter quests. I'll see you guys in-game!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Hell yeah

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kenlon posted:

I remember checking out SoD back in the day when Wiz was working on it. Looks like it's changed a lot.

As someone who doesn't like dualboxing in MMOs much, what classes are decent at soloing but still welcome in groups?

Monk is nice because you can feign death anytime, but soloing champs are necros and magicians from what I’ve seen on the server so far

Honorable mention to druids and shaman

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
necromancer is probably my favorite caster. I went warrior/druid because I love warrioring, but I think if I had to pick a single character instead of a duo I would go necro all the way.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I hit 41 today with my duo and I’m slowly leveling alchemy on my druid, mainly just so my warrior gets more haste. SoD is so much fun

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I believe the mielech tomb guardians turn into mummified frogloks at night

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
If you’re soloing yeah but it’s the only spot that comes to mind for me

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
South kaladim is gonna be hella red to them right now

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Garrand posted:

I've never played Everquest in my life but my fat, unemployed, desiring social interaction rear end was manipulated by a banner ad so I'm downloading EQ now.

I'm still going through all the information but I love pet classes and healing classes, Beastlord seems up my alley?

Beastlord is solid. It starts off a bit slow though, and if you are used to other MMOs with lots of buttons to press, their slower initial playstyle might be somewhat of a bore. I suggest you try out Beastlord and Necromancer myself. Hit me up with a /tell Akrar for some starter goodies.

I made it to 43 on my box, though taking a break from actively leveling for the holidays. 100 Alchemy, should be 120 tomorrow or the day after, pretty sweet. The haste and mana regen potions really make a huge difference.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

someone awful. posted:

are there any macros or anything I should know about if I want to try 2boxing? and what's a good class combo, just anything that can tank and some kind of healer?

I just alt-tab between my warrior and druid. Both are easy enough to play that I don't need to really intensively micromanage them outside of really dicey fights (which you usually see coming well in advance). If you go for two casters, you might need to use WinEQ2 (a program which lets you swap between screens with 1 button press).

My suggestion would be warrior or monk and shaman or druid, favoring druid. Druid ports are huge, and damage shields are deceptively solid. The only thing druids lack compared to shamans is infinite mana through tapping their own life, stat buffs, and haste buffs. Haste buffs are the biggest one, and you might have to use potions to compensate for that.

Other options are paladin or shadowknight for your tank, though those have a rougher time early on. You can also pick two casters like necromancer/cleric, or enchanter/druid, or any combination of those, but you'll have to micromanage more. An enchanter/druid can probably break camps super easily though, but I don't have a lot of experience in the later stretch of Shards of Dalaya.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yes, because there’s lots of groups going. However, if you are in an uncommon timezone (server is American) then I suggest a good soloing class like necro, monk, that sort of thing.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I went druid/warrior with alchemy on the druid for haste potions, got to lv57 now. It's fun. Not mowing through content anymore like before, but still doing pretty well. The one downside is that warrior slots are going to be full up in every single established guild, so you're probably looking at maining another class and gearing up your warrior with rots/filler spots. Which isn't ideal, but it is what it is.

The upside is that this isn't a game with a 10k playerbase. Or even a 1k playerbase. So I think that if you just put in the hours, you get to swing with the big boys eventually.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Null1fy posted:

That's exactly what it is. When I played, it wasn't unheard of to play someone's crazy character on raids to earn your salt for a shot at rots on lower tier content on farm. A few of those raids could bump you from like T4-6 gear to T11-12 gear. I'd imagine the difficulty is so great to get players at this point, you just have to be breathing to get showered with rots. Outside of seasonal characters, that is.

I'm pretty much banking on making it to 65 + some AAs, then riding the cute newbie train to a spot in some casual guild. I just want to see the content, honestly. Having a lot of fun with the quests in SoD already, and it's refreshing to play in completely different zones.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Bards in EQ are just a ridiculous power multiplier

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Dont take this as a dig but I think its really funny that this thread is full of ancient red text avatars lmao

Stonewalljack posted:

Bards start with low damage for a dps, but grow to be top end damage at the very late game. In their special AAs they pick up a chance to flurry while playing Blademaster's rythm, which increases their melee damage output. Other AAs give them a 30% increased (multiplicative, not additive) chance to proc weapons. As tiers progress, weapon dps tends to shift to proc damage. A combination of end game weapons, Stave of Mist and Eo, on a bard can out dps most other dps classes (enchanter and rogue with the best dagger still beat them) while enhancing the raids dps and providing large amounts of utility.

Bards are actually viable melee dps in SoD? drat, I should have gone bard/necro, lot more active gameplay. Oh well, dru/war is treating me very well so far.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
There's only a few classes which are absolutely unviable to solo 1-65 with, though. But I don't mind the dual boxing. P99 has the luxury position of being the de facto classic EQ server, and it's got a huge population. Part of that is for sure because there's no boxing, which makes the game feel more genuine. That's great and all, but taking away boxing from SoD as it is right now (and right now the population is higher than ever before, so I've heard) would make leveling as warrior, rogue, etc just impossible.

What's more important to me is that the SoD server actually bans bigots etc. P99 doesn't. P99 has an official off topic forum with literal QAnon bullshit and the like. That poo poo doesn't fly in SoD, and mods actually tell people to shut up if they act like capital G Gamers in global chat. P99's laissez-faire moderation is a god drat curse.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Philthy posted:

Can this coexist peacefully with EQ? I'm on a TLP as a 60 necro and doing the raid thing and having a blast, but wouldn't mind checking out this for off time. Do I just copy my EQ folder and rename it, toss the patcher in there and it's good? It also says dual box, so I could run the exe twice and run a necro in one window on one account, and a bard in another window on another account?

Download the steam version of EQ and copy that one, trust me. Lot less fuckery that way.

You run the patcher, then just click Run Game twice to 2box.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Troll regen is ridiculous at lower levels

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

At 25 my SK is really starting to feel the effects of essentially being naked with the learner starter weapon. Are there specific quests that could help me out that don't require me to do long inconvenient chains? There are a ton of quests and I'm not sure which items are the ones that are worth it.

Oggok plate quests. Training with Bonmig or something, check the wiki. I was still using some pieces as a fresh 65

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Season 1 was a lot of fun, looking forward to season 2. Gonna be going necro/beastlord or something.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Talking new content on the high end or lower end stuff?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Heard there’s a new season coming in December. I’ll be singleboxing probably, sounds fun.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

blatman posted:

I wish I didn't constantly bounce off this server because it's got so much cool content

if I wanted to jump in next season what's a class with decent solo ability? I don't want to box and I play odd hours so my ability to group would be spotty

If season 1 was anything to go by, there’ll be plenty of groups. But the usual goes, necromancer probably being best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Honorable mention to beastlord, monk, shaman, druid, ench until later because sod loves magic immune mobs