Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'm picking up SoD for basically the first time--I created a couple accounts years ago, but never got past level 4, so I think that still counts as starting from scratch. There is so much stuff even in just the UI that I am having to learn about, since SoD uses so much more stuff than was available in Velious era (the last expansion I really played for any appreciable amount of time). Even just setting up a UI was a massive pain in the rear end, and I still haven't really gotten it sorted. I hated loving with a UI in World of Warcraft and I hate it here too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Stonewalljack posted:

Yeah I'm with you, setting up and then rearranging a UI as I gain access to more abilities is one of the larger barriers to entry for me when playing new MMOs, and the original UI on EQ/SoD is crap. Once you get a UI set up the way you like, you can copy it to other characters using the 'Copy Char' button on the SoD launcher. It copies the Charname_sod.ini and UI_Charname_sod.ini from one character to another, copying the layout. Make sure you close out of the client all the way for this to work. On the SoD forums, one of the players has put a lot of work into a custom UI called ClickSwap. In the google drive download there is even a template UI_Charname_sod.ini to copy from to save a lot of the work moving UI pieces around.

I don’t want to go full custom, since I like the look of the classic EQ minimalist UI, but it’s gonna take me some time to figure out an arrangement for all the five million bars that suits me. Speaking of the minimalist UI, I can’t seem to figure out a way to get the old plain transparent black UI (like P99 has) in this client. Is it not available, or am I just missing it? The only UI skins I found just seem to change the icons, rather than the appearance of the windows. I don’t like the gold embellishments on the edges of the windows.

Thanks for the tip about the Copy Character button. That will save me a little trouble.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Your best bet is to play two characters simultaneously, so you can also choose to split those two interests between the characters. There are multiple pet classes and multiple healing classes. Magicians and necromancers have the strongest pets, but have no and poor healing, respectively (edit: both classes can heal their pets, but mages have no player-healing capabilities, and necromancer's healing hurts the necromancer to heal players). For healing, clerics are king, with druids being next best, and shamans being the worst of the three but still quite solid at healing most everyday content. Shamans and druids also have pets, with shaman pets being stronger than druid pets, but both are weaker than beastmaster pets (as far as I know--not super well-versed in the beastmaster class). Plus shamans can buff the living poo poo out of things, so you make up for a lack of healing with the potential to murder poo poo before it causes enough damage to require much healing! :v: Druids, meanwhile, have unrivaled utility, and clerics can resurrect (remove experience debt from dying).

Note: if you want to play two characters simultaneously, CREATE THEM ON SEPARATE ACCOUNTS. You can have as many accounts as you want, and can sign them all up for the same email. If you log in two characters from the same account it apparently burns up way more server resources and admins will get mad at you.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 24, 2020

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
My characters are in the single digits or low double digits (12 being the highest), and I feel like I'm missing out on a bunch of good quests simply because I don't know about them and there are basically zero breadcrumbs to most of them. I didn't even know there were newbie bag quests. That's one thing that sucks about EQ's archaic design, just an utter lack of direction or documentation. Argh.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I am using the wiki, and I am using the class quest section. The problem is, that’s incomplete. Things like the bag quest are for multiple classes, and therefore are not listed in the class quest section. I think what I will do is look up quests in a given zone and use that instead.

Also, I seem to be having trouble with my bard. Supposedly you can sing multiple beneficial songs, I forget how many, and at least one detrimental song, but when I’m using the low level aoe damage song it seems to turn off after a while and I have to restart it. It’s really inconsistent. What gives?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Ah right, since you’re technically constantly switching songs you’ve got lots of chances to miss a note. That makes sense.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Stonewalljack posted:

Bards start with low damage for a dps, but grow to be top end damage at the very late game. In their special AAs they pick up a chance to flurry while playing Blademaster's rythm, which increases their melee damage output. Other AAs give them a 30% increased (multiplicative, not additive) chance to proc weapons. As tiers progress, weapon dps tends to shift to proc damage. A combination of end game weapons, Stave of Mist and Eo, on a bard can out dps most other dps classes (enchanter and rogue with the best dagger still beat them) while enhancing the raids dps and providing large amounts of utility.

Do bards really out-DPS rangers and monks and the likes? On top of being turbo buff machines? That makes things harder, since I was really looking forward to playing a ranger that wasn't complete garbo and was maybe kinda-competitive. But if bards are basically still just better at everything (aside from tracking, I guess), I'm back to "what's the point of playing a ranger?" I guess I could just pretend my wood elf bard is a ranger, since the only real difference is bards can't use bows :v:

please knock Mom! posted:

Dont take this as a dig but I think its really funny that this thread is full of ancient red text avatars lmao

I am both too cheap to change it*, and also it's funny because the person who gave it to me clearly read the post in question completely backwards.

* I guess now that Lowtax won't get any of the money I might actually pay to change it to something less garish, but I haven't really felt inspired.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Null1fy posted:

Buttons to push, namely. Boxing (especially in SoD where you can't use tool-assisted scripting) is exhausting. The game is a marathon. Hours, days and months of pushing the same buttons (and Beastlords push a lot of them) will wear on you if you're frantically alt-tabbing between boxes and mashing buttons.

An example: Slaariel (A dude who spent years developing the game) worked at re-vamping Monks to become more interesting some years ago. He made it so that using combinations of stances made the Monk do an interesting attack. It was very good, but impossible to effectively box. The player response cried out, "My Monk is unplayable now!". Slaariel poo poo-canned the system and withdrew into himself, defeated and sour that the re-vamp wasn't well-received.

That's a bummer. The fact that boxing is actively holding back cooler, more interactive stuff is definitely disappointing.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Even Iksar regen is incredibly noticeable at low level. My (currently solo, until he reaches same level as my SK) iksar shaman basically never needs to heal himself unless he's fighting an even-con or gets an add. I definitely didn't have that experience with my other, non-iksar (and non-troll) characters.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
How about the same question, but for a Bard? I see there's a Vah questline for bard armor that looks pretty decent... or, the latter half does. The first half kinda sucks.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Yeah I'm gonna do the Vah questline for sure. The Antique Plate gear is definitely better for some slots compared to the Vah line, so I'll still probably do it (plus my idiot lizard brain loves doing quests, even if they're not really worth it).

Apparently non-druid (and wizard?) good races are all super-KOS to trolls, which sucks because the trolls have an easy quest to get a really good weight reduction bag. I guess I need to convince somebody with an enchanter high enough to cast illusion: troll to cast it on my character and see if that makes me not-KOS. If so, I should be able to complete the quest before the spell wears off. Are trolls and iksars KOS to good race cities? I know dark elves aren't, but they're a weird case on SoD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Help, my dumb rear end wants to play EQ again!

Also folks in the Discord said Season 2 is apparently going to start in early January now.