Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Pinched from another social media page, a dashcam of a stolen car being taken for a joyride. Nothing too dramatic - no chases or crazy crashes - but instead of two dozen one-minute chunks of dashcam you get half an hour of one nutcase breaking laws, driving dangerously and gradually loving up an Audi R8 in the process, with a few stops to show off to people on the way. (He doesn't notice the dashcam.) Fifteen minutes in and the car handling is visibly worse. A little after that he breaks a wheel strut that leaves a rubber trail all the way to where he hides it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF9-qBXsqgw

Edit: lmao deleted, not entirely surprising. I'll see if I can find another upload later. Okay, hopefully that one works, apparently now with censoring and less identifying of neighbourhood snitches

uvar fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

uvar posted:

Pinched from another social media page, a dashcam of a stolen car being taken for a joyride. Nothing too dramatic - no chases or crazy crashes - but instead of two dozen one-minute chunks of dashcam you get half an hour of one nutcase breaking laws, driving dangerously and gradually loving up an Audi R8 in the process, with a few stops to show off to people on the way. (He doesn't notice the dashcam.) Fifteen minutes in and the car handling is visibly worse. A little after that he breaks a wheel strut that leaves a rubber trail all the way to where he hides it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pErtw-M7vfI

I was going to come in here and post this but it would seem I am beaten. The town in Australia where this takes place used to have a large steel plant but since that shut in the late 90's the place has grown a little rougher and you can see quite a few examples in the vid when he stops off at different houses while also loving the car super hard.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

uvar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pErtw-M7vfI

Beside the blatant disregard for other people, jesus christ is he bad at driving. Keeps sawing at the wheel. Drunk / on drugs?

Edit: Ok yeah.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 28, 2020

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I thought "drive it like you stole it" only applied when the police were following you, apparently not. Idiot was just drawing more attention to himself and reducing his price at the chop shop, and the local police will have a list of witnesses and addresses to visit when they get free time.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
If it weren't for driving on the wrong side of the road and the ocean view, I'd say that this was local to me. I honestly thought it was in DuPage County at first. I don't understand his obsession with drawing all possible police attention though, he hates solid traffic lines and anything meant to make the car come to a stop enough to hit a speed bump at what, 50mph? I'm surprised that his front suspension wasn't torn off. Hats off to Audi, I guess
I'm disappointed that he was such a quiet driver, because I would have loved his color commentary

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Ran into one myself today. Let's say you're a relatively new young driver (P plater, I don't know what the US equivalent is), out with some friends on a gravel road with sharp turns. You go too fast round a corner, up a bank, and flip the car, blocking the road to a local reserve and spilling cans of alcohol all over the road. Mom's going to kill you anyway when she finds out, so what do you do?

https://i.imgur.com/X4YGGNC.mp4

They gave it a few more yanks after I stopped the video. To be fair, it cleared a lane quickly and the car was probably a write-off anyway, but I feel like there was a better solution waiting to be discovered. (Perhaps they tried and failed to tip it before I got there.)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's just me winching my A-469 out of a ditch in Mudrunner. I'm sure a spare wheel will have enough repair points to get that running again :q:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

uvar posted:

Ran into one myself today. Let's say you're a relatively new young driver (P plater, I don't know what the US equivalent is), out with some friends on a gravel road with sharp turns. You go too fast round a corner, up a bank, and flip the car, blocking the road to a local reserve and spilling cans of alcohol all over the road. Mom's going to kill you anyway when she finds out, so what do you do?

https://i.imgur.com/X4YGGNC.mp4

They gave it a few more yanks after I stopped the video. To be fair, it cleared a lane quickly and the car was probably a write-off anyway, but I feel like there was a better solution waiting to be discovered. (Perhaps they tried and failed to tip it before I got there.)

Hope they had the foresight to set the handbrake for when it's finally tipped back onto 4 wheels - I mean, it would suck for the tow vehicle to get pulled down the mountainside, too.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

New Dash Cam Aus instant karma vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xyZ1j4E7g8

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

I don't understand Australian traffic laws and I don't know why half of the drivers in the videos are pulled over

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

I don't understand Australian traffic laws and I don't know why half of the drivers in the videos are pulled over

Alright, driver. Says here in the Howard Wombat Herding Statues of 1992, subsection a, part II: no driver shall knowingly shout profanity at traffic in more than two (2) languages within a single (1) sentence. Now I, too, enjoy the gravely texture of Afrikaans curses while also appreciating the smooth nuance of Hindi mother-oaths. Either drop the Estonian or it's AUD200/swear. In the interest of fairness and equality, I think we can let that one go. I will be taking your license for doing 62 in a 60, though. Cheers!

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

My takeaway is that AU allows highly sketchy unmarked vehicles to initiate traffic stops.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Based on most of the cars being stopped after passing the camera car I imagine it's for speeding.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

uvar posted:

Let's say you're a relatively new young driver (P plater, I don't know what the US equivalent is),
Hah!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The Door Frame posted:

Speeding. Couple driving in bus or cycle lanes.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Also a number of red light jumpers and dangerous overtakes (two solid white lines is no overtaking at all unless you are going around something at walking pace)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1024863134387645&id=338690613004904

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01...RbdHsuIOoBWtt-Q

This you have to see to believe where the car ended up

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
We're in a truck!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Lady with a mouth warning.

https://twitter.com/htafc_Brett/status/1349669324215246848?s=20

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/USCGSoutheast/status/1349446406122123268?s=20

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Wheeeee we have snow again

https://twitter.com/SMSpursJL/status/1353363031850442754?s=19

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Pfft, you could that bad language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39fC1EzAhbQ

This is bad language x10000 :austalia:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

2/10 angry victim driver did not fall down on the ice while yelling.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You Am I posted:

Pfft, you could that bad language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39fC1EzAhbQ

This is bad language x10000 :austalia:

It may be the HEAVY accent in the video but there's more c bombs per second there than in those Aussie videos fella.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

FFS 'uddesfield is no where near London.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Foxtrot_13 posted:

FFS 'uddesfield is no where near London.

Quoted the wrong video fam. One up the page is Huddersfield earlier this year.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Bad driving is coming from inside the thread! Not on video but here's an illustration

I'm driving north and, following the signs, about to take the left turn there since you're not allowed to continue straight. When a delivery van comes flying in the opposite direction at usual delivery van speeds. I brake and let him pass through, thinking what an rear end in a top hat he is. Buuut I'm sure if I bothered to dig up the laws, it's me. Since the direciton of the priority road wasn't specified, it continues staright even if you can't actually go there, so I'm supposed to yield there. Though even if that's technically correct, this arrangement seems like an great way to create a ton of accidents. I even double chcked the intersection on streetview and there were no signs there previously at all, which is definitely preferable.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Does Australia get a lot of people from right hand driving countries? Dashcam Australia seems to have more wrong-way drivers than any other compilations I see

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Deeters posted:

Does Australia get a lot of people from right hand driving countries? Dashcam Australia seems to have more wrong-way drivers than any other compilations I see

You mean left hand.

Yes we do. A fair percentage of residents are from left hand drive countries even - 30% of all permanent residents were born overseas - in some fairly sizable areas its even a majority of drivers first drove on the "wrong" side of the road.

Joke about westies and bogns but the reality Australia is not a English majority decent country. Best example of course is Melbourne which has large percentage of the population whose ancestry is not the UK and most famously the oft cited Greek decedent community that would be likely the third largest Greek community in the world.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Deeters posted:

Yeah, I did a trip out into the boonies last year and there were a ton of signs reminding tourists to drive on the left. It's maybe worse out in the sticks cos there's not always constant traffic to remind them which side to drive on.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

mobby_6kl posted:

Bad driving is coming from inside the thread! Not on video but here's an illustration

I'm driving north and, following the signs, about to take the left turn there since you're not allowed to continue straight. When a delivery van comes flying in the opposite direction at usual delivery van speeds. I brake and let him pass through, thinking what an rear end in a top hat he is. Buuut I'm sure if I bothered to dig up the laws, it's me. Since the direciton of the priority road wasn't specified, it continues staright even if you can't actually go there, so I'm supposed to yield there. Though even if that's technically correct, this arrangement seems like an great way to create a ton of accidents. I even double chcked the intersection on streetview and there were no signs there previously at all, which is definitely preferable.

Post that streetview link! Or at least what country/state it's in? Uncontrolled intersections are pretty uncommon in my experience.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You mean left hand.

Yes we do. A fair percentage of residents are from left hand drive countries even - 30% of all permanent residents were born overseas - in some fairly sizable areas its even a majority of drivers first drove on the "wrong" side of the road.

Joke about westies and bogns but the reality Australia is not a English majority decent country. Best example of course is Melbourne which has large percentage of the population whose ancestry is not the UK and most famously the oft cited Greek decedent community that would be likely the third largest Greek community in the world.

??? either I'm misreading or you have it backwards. It's referring to the side of the road you drive on not the side of the vehicle the driver is on.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

my kinda ape posted:

??? either I'm misreading or you have it backwards. It's referring to the side of the road you drive on not the side of the vehicle the driver is on.

Just a bunch of miscommunication and misunderstanding of the phrase.

"X hand drive" refers to the side the driver sits on: "X hand traffic" refers to which side of the road you drive on.
Australians primarily use right hand drive vehicles, on the left side of the road. The US drives on the right side of the road in left hand drive vehicles.

Right-Hand-Drive is standard in a Left-Hand-Traffic country
LHD in a RHT country

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

MisterOblivious posted:

"X hand drive" refers to the side the driver sits on: "X hand traffic" refers to which side of the road you drive on.
Australians primarily use right hand drive vehicles, on the left side of the road. The US drives on the right side of the road in left hand drive vehicles.

LHD in a RHT country

Makes sense!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Devor posted:

Post that streetview link! Or at least what country/state it's in? Uncontrolled intersections are pretty uncommon in my experience.
Sure!

https://goo.gl/maps/9pYbZhb8rKLWbYrC6

THe streetview is from 2009 so obviously they installed the signs at some point since then. Uncontrolled intersections are pretty common here at least in the areas with less traffic. They wouldn't be bad if half of the drivers didnt' just assume that they have right of way if their road looks slightly wider, and of course there's some ambiguity if it's an intersection or someone's driveway or something. This though really hosed me up, I swear I'll take a photo next time I'm in the area.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

MisterOblivious posted:

LHD in a RHT country

One weekend I had to do a job in the Virgin Islands and they drive on the left hand side but use left hand drive vehicles because they're all from the western hemisphere markets. Pretty uhhh interesting.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

mobby_6kl posted:

Sure!

https://goo.gl/maps/9pYbZhb8rKLWbYrC6

THe streetview is from 2009 so obviously they installed the signs at some point since then. Uncontrolled intersections are pretty common here at least in the areas with less traffic. They wouldn't be bad if half of the drivers didnt' just assume that they have right of way if their road looks slightly wider, and of course there's some ambiguity if it's an intersection or someone's driveway or something. This though really hosed me up, I swear I'll take a photo next time I'm in the area.

Yeah your assessment was correct. Just because the road curves left (and you're obliged to turn left, in this case) does not give you priority, and as this is an uncontrolled intersection the generic 'traffic from the right has priority' rule applies.

That's not to say that this isn't very poor design in this case.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

At the very least you should have a prominent "yield to oncoming traffic" sign as you're headed north there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

davebo posted:

One weekend I had to do a job in the Virgin Islands and they drive on the left hand side but use left hand drive vehicles because they're all from the western hemisphere markets. Pretty uhhh interesting.

Yeah this is a fun experience. Fortunately there's not too much traffic at least on St Croix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/bigsurkate/status/1355176008052305920?s=20