Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://i.imgur.com/9dot8Nv.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The hat was everything I was anticipating in this video.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Pretty sure that means he died. RIP truckfuckler :rip:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Bad drivers! Roads that break down!

Also goddamn, that airbag. They really are super fast, took me a couple watches to realize what that was.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Bad drivers! Roads that break down!

Also goddamn, that airbag. They really are super fast, took me a couple watches to realize what that was.

Same, I thought he bashed his head into the window and shattered it the first couple of watches.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Midjack posted:

Same, I thought he bashed his head into the window and shattered it the first couple of watches.

Yeah, was all "Wait, if window closed to be shattered...how did hat fly out?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ili posted:

Yeah, I did a trip out into the boonies last year and there were a ton of signs reminding tourists to drive on the left. It's maybe worse out in the sticks cos there's not always constant traffic to remind them which side to drive on.
Coming from Canada to Aus, no major problems but it took a couple of days to really settle the relevant habits like which door to open to get in and drive. But for the first few months, if I was on a road with no other traffic (dirt roads in national parks, for example) I would sometimes catch myself driving on the wrong side. Fortunately I always corrected myself before it graduated from "mistake" to "emergency". With traffic, you just follow the car in front of you, it's no problem. My wife and I still sometimes remind each other "left! go left!" when we're out driving and there's nobody else around.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Midjack posted:

Yep, the airbag was the last thing I remembered when I had my car accident...oh man twelve years ago?

First it was "Wow that truck sure is bright in my headlights", then "This is way too fast to hit another car" to out of nowhere an airbag punching me in the face. I don't think I felt the hit at all I just woke up as the car was rolling to a stop across the street and the poor airbag was deflating.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I had a low speed crash where the seatbelt did its job and held me back, and I just watched the airbag go off in front of me. It was kinda surreal.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I liked the realistic airbag depictions in Naked Gun :allears:

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

ExecuDork posted:

Coming from Canada to Aus, no major problems but it took a couple of days to really settle the relevant habits like which door to open to get in and drive. But for the first few months, if I was on a road with no other traffic (dirt roads in national parks, for example) I would sometimes catch myself driving on the wrong side. Fortunately I always corrected myself before it graduated from "mistake" to "emergency". With traffic, you just follow the car in front of you, it's no problem. My wife and I still sometimes remind each other "left! go left!" when we're out driving and there's nobody else around.

My wife and I had a similar buddy system when we went to Scotland and did the Northcoast 500. There is a lot of single lane road if you're doing that trip and it can be easy to forget to go to the left side of the road when it opens back up. Also for like a major road trip kind of vacation spot there wasn't a lot of traffic around either which, as people have mentioned, is an easy way to forget which side of the road you're supposed to be on.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

:lol:

https://twitter.com/StatesOfMotion/status/1356306551947071494?s=19

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nothing, huh?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The first image shows the “suicide awareness” decal on the windshield. Probably should have been printed on the dashboard

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Lemme guess.... summer tyres?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Lemme guess.... summer tyres?

Probably also at least 5 years old and mostly bald.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ili
Jul 26, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Yep that's pretty on point. The problem out on some of the rural highways there's only milliseconds between mistake and emergency when there's a B triple coming round a blind corner at 110. If you're still here, did you get used to left hand driving as the default eventually? I found being overseas for a bit I was fine most of the time but in a situation where I had to respond to something without any time to think my instincts were all to go onto the left, which wasn't always productive.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

u brexit ukip it posted:

Yeah your assessment was correct. Just because the road curves left (and you're obliged to turn left, in this case) does not give you priority, and as this is an uncontrolled intersection the generic 'traffic from the right has priority' rule applies.

That's not to say that this isn't very poor design in this case.
The thing is, it's not an uncontrolled intersection any more. It's signed just like in the diagram I posted earlier. To make sure I'm not remembering incorrectly, today I deliberately went back there:

Technically it's fine of course and I might be only idiot to misinterpret it, but IMO at a first glance it looks the priorities are like this below, but they're not.

Enos Cabell posted:

At the very least you should have a prominent "yield to oncoming traffic" sign as you're headed north there.
Yeah, they do put signs like that at weird intersections so this seems like a good candidate too. Or just the additional sign clarifying priorities.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

And it's situations like these why the idea of self-driving cars are laughable.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Genuine classic. At least he never claimed he wasn't responsible for the disaster though so he at least has that over BMW guy.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Must be drunk as gently caress.

Also, if that was a MAGA hat, that would be :chefkiss:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

"And that's when I had to lay it down"

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ili posted:

Yep that's pretty on point. The problem out on some of the rural highways there's only milliseconds between mistake and emergency when there's a B triple coming round a blind corner at 110. If you're still here, did you get used to left hand driving as the default eventually? I found being overseas for a bit I was fine most of the time but in a situation where I had to respond to something without any time to think my instincts were all to go onto the left, which wasn't always productive.
Still in Aus, and given the current ban on international travel (and our low-priority-to-anyone visa issues) we're not going to be driving on the right any time soon. I'm curious myself about how I'll react the first time I drive in North America (or some other right-side-traffic place like mainland Europe). I'm reasonably confident in my emergency responses, when I need to dodge an unexpected obstacle (kangaroo) I haven't flung us into oncoming, yet, and I can think of a few examples from back in Canada where I managed to avoid the headlights in favour of the weeds, too. Most of my driving, here and back in Canada, has been on empty roads in the middle of nowhere. The (inevitable) call to CAA or NRMA or whatever local equivalent always starts with them asking if I'm in a safe place. Yes, it's so safe there's literally nothing and nobody nearby (and it's dark and getting cold and my batteries are running low).

Those B-triples on rural highways are real and really terrifying. Fortunately, the handful of times we've encountered them everything has been as it should be, and other than dust and noise, no problems.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Ya know I visited Australia once, (loved it, you guys are awesome) and I rode shotgun with a local who drove me around. So I was in the US driver's seat. All my reflexes were wrong, I had a few massive scares purely out of instinct and muscle memory. The driver enjoyed it and laughed a lot at least. If I were to drive, I would have either had to concentrate super hard and really focus on re-orienting myself, or I would have simply crashed and given up, I don't know. Of course if I was planning to drive and prepared in any way it could have been a different story. But just climbing in cold I was very confused several times.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I generally find when I’m driving in a place opposite my home that I’m okay while traveling because I’m hyper vigilant. It’s the first day or two when I come back home after a week away that I have partially overwritten reflexes getting me in trouble if I don’t pay attention.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's the new extended cap model.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I saw one of those a few years ago with a sign "For sale, doesn't fit mine, might fit yours!"

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Trying to find one of these used is absolutely infuriating, because there are 3 names for them here (camper, topper, cap) & the seller will have absolutely no idea what truck it came off of, let alone the bed size. Prices vary wildly from $250 to $600 to $free, but are up around $1,200 if you bought one new (overkill for a 15 yo truck), so it's worth it to keep looking for one.

I was having such a hard time finding one, I took the first one that fit. In the meantime, the guy selling the one I really wanted finally checked his emails, so now I've got two.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Please tell me you stacked them

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I don't know which thread to post this in, but I guess these are people that somebody shares a road with. It's a pain in the rear end to rehost longer mp4s so please just click this reddit link and watch some morons in a car. :stonklol:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCars/comments/lezk3o/fast_and_orangious/

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Seems appropriate here.

Beyond "these people are clearly idiots", I was trying to figure out what car that was and figured it for some late model german luxo. Assuming that's correct, this dude is walking on the roof/windshield/hood of a car far "nicer" (more expensive, at least) than anything I'm ever likely to own.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Time for another month of dashcams australia which reflects the larger amount of terribly poo poo drivers I've seen on the roads in recent months.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHaW3PB545c

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/kristingiannas/status/1363817396025380864?s=21

https://twitter.com/dmoodywdbo/status/1363816657991438336?s=21

It's a Jeep thing.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Zero One posted:

It's a Jeep thing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Zero One posted:

It's a Jeep thing.

"Parting it out, bro?"

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

No eastbound and down jokes booooo

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I guess Amazon packages will be delayed.

Average winds of 54mph, gusts of 67mph.
https://m.facebook.com/ExcellenceInTransportation/photos/a.353407312416981/369115904179455/?type=3&source=48&__tn__=EH-R

https://oilcity.news/community/weather/2021/02/22/photos-wind-causes-crashes-delays-along-i-25-i-80-on-monday/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/fred035schultz/status/1364514072419532801?s=19