Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The Door Frame posted:

I don't understand Australian traffic laws and I don't know why half of the drivers in the videos are pulled over

My takeaway is that AU allows highly sketchy unmarked vehicles to initiate traffic stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

My brother had a hellofa start to his morning

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Is your brother the car driver or the home owner/renter?

Bonus points if he's both :v:

The latter. It's Grandma's house and Uncle has financial POA, so the whole family gets to participate in the aftermath! Fortunately, I live far enough away that I can only offer encouragement and sympathy.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Do you get to keep the car?

FL Castle Doctrine says seige vehicles must be fully within the walls before the defender can lay claim.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

my kinda ape posted:

Gonna guess they were probably completely wasted, that or they had to swerve to avoid getting into a horrible accident with another car (driven by someone who was completely wasted.)

Right in one!

In other news there is no tragedy so bad the government can't make it worse

Thank you, Inspector Clouseau, for bringing the gigantic loving hole in the house to our attention.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The damaged side of the house faces a fairly busy road in a rapidly gentrifying neighborhood. 50/50 chance inspector jackass saw it driving by and decided to help vs one of the new McMansion owners called it in on a structure they'd like to see demolished anyway.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Phanatic posted:

And for giving you a whole month to find a contractor, get permits issued, get material delivered, and perform the work.

I'd be amazed if Tampa can even issue a permit in that time.

Damage is bad enough that we're going to have to get a structural engineer to stamp a repair order. Then we get to find a contractor, pull permits, etc, etc. No chance it'll be done in 4 weeks, and it's obvious to everyone but code enforcement.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Eh, right now it's just an empty threat. The insurance adjuster says he sees it all the time, including the wildly unrealistic due dates. If they do something on the 5th to begin meaningful enforcement action against us for failing to do the impossible, we have several ways to push back still.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

quote:

the driver escaped unarmed

Anybody seen backpanther recently?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

a primate posted:

So… how does someone get ejected through the sunroof when they’re wearing their seatbelt? It doesn’t appear to be a rollover since the cars both look relatively intact. I am suddenly very interested in engineering analyses of crashes.

The speed limit on that road is what, 100km/h? So a 71km/h delta-V impact. Most car seats are not able to withstand that kind of hit from the rear and the recliner mechanism will break leaving your back unsupported. The car body accelerates forward from the impact, but without the seat back able to transfer that force to the driver, they don't and yeet backwards from the car's frame of reference. The seat belt can't do poo poo about that since it's designed to stop you from going forward, relatively. The driver flies backwards until they impact the next solid object, which I guess was the sunroof in this case. Either it was already open, already broken from impact forces, or the driver's body had enough relative acceleration to break it and out she went.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

waffle iron posted:

The whole length is striped with solid lines indicating no lane changes. It's not ideal but the filmer is clearly doing what the person designed that road intended. (Even if the design was decades of continuing to restripe an amateur design.)

Am I missing a joke or is the bad driving coming from within the thread again?

Single, skinny white line means lane changes are discouraged, not prohibited.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Large Testicles posted:

It depends on where you are. I’m certain areas, single white line means no lane changes what so ever. It’s usually marked with a sign tho. Double white line means no lane change every where in the US tho.

Where?

single = discouraged; double = prohibited is in the MUTCD. Granted, that's not actual law, but most US jurisdictions don't stray too far afield from with basic markings like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

My Daughter's classmate got run over in a hit and run last weekend: https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/harris-county/west-houston-hit-and-run-crash-girl-injured/285-45b8ef38-b1fe-4274-b040-bbc378060adb

Fortunately, "just" a broken leg.

In searching for the news story, I found that this is common enough that one of local TV stations has a "Child hit by car" tag: https://abc13.com/tag/children-hit-by-car/

Jesus Christ.