Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

2/10 angry victim driver did not fall down on the ice while yelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ili posted:

Yeah, I did a trip out into the boonies last year and there were a ton of signs reminding tourists to drive on the left. It's maybe worse out in the sticks cos there's not always constant traffic to remind them which side to drive on.
Coming from Canada to Aus, no major problems but it took a couple of days to really settle the relevant habits like which door to open to get in and drive. But for the first few months, if I was on a road with no other traffic (dirt roads in national parks, for example) I would sometimes catch myself driving on the wrong side. Fortunately I always corrected myself before it graduated from "mistake" to "emergency". With traffic, you just follow the car in front of you, it's no problem. My wife and I still sometimes remind each other "left! go left!" when we're out driving and there's nobody else around.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

ili posted:

Yep that's pretty on point. The problem out on some of the rural highways there's only milliseconds between mistake and emergency when there's a B triple coming round a blind corner at 110. If you're still here, did you get used to left hand driving as the default eventually? I found being overseas for a bit I was fine most of the time but in a situation where I had to respond to something without any time to think my instincts were all to go onto the left, which wasn't always productive.
Still in Aus, and given the current ban on international travel (and our low-priority-to-anyone visa issues) we're not going to be driving on the right any time soon. I'm curious myself about how I'll react the first time I drive in North America (or some other right-side-traffic place like mainland Europe). I'm reasonably confident in my emergency responses, when I need to dodge an unexpected obstacle (kangaroo) I haven't flung us into oncoming, yet, and I can think of a few examples from back in Canada where I managed to avoid the headlights in favour of the weeds, too. Most of my driving, here and back in Canada, has been on empty roads in the middle of nowhere. The (inevitable) call to CAA or NRMA or whatever local equivalent always starts with them asking if I'm in a safe place. Yes, it's so safe there's literally nothing and nobody nearby (and it's dark and getting cold and my batteries are running low).

Those B-triples on rural highways are real and really terrifying. Fortunately, the handful of times we've encountered them everything has been as it should be, and other than dust and noise, no problems.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
See also: all those videos in sudden snowstorms where idiot drivers bail out of their car and flail around on the icy ground as the car sloooowly slides into an unoccupied, parked car and a city bus is sliding down the street right behind them.

Belted in to the driver's seat of a modern car is a very safe place to be, but panic or rage can just make that fact disappear completely from a person's view. Also stupidity.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I love the little extra puffs of exhaust from the high-centered car, happy little signals of futility.

And I'm glad to hear you ended up in the driver's seat, a person that clueless about their car is a major risk for putting it in the wrong gear and driving over you / pinning you against a barrier (such as the wall on the other side of the road)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Countdown to the inevitable spammy ad for green-screen covers for seatbelts.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

CannonFodder posted:

Then he would have a line of bookshelf going across his chest making the attempt at trickery obvious. As this means the guy spends money and still gets caught I am 100% for it.

Oh, I know. But that won't stop a company offering greenscreen fabric sown up to cover a seatbelt and flogging the hell out of it to people who don't think even that far ahead, or have a clue what a greenscreen is or does.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

I don't think i've ever been driving and thought "I can just follow the rules of the road as they're written and feel safe" It's always "each and every one of these fuckers is on the verge of doing something insanely stupid that puts me in danger"

I have, lots of times.

I like to live and drive in unpopulated ranglelands, where the dominant economic activity is loving off to somewhere else while your cattle/sheep/whatever roam around over properties larger than Belgium. Lots of completely empty, wide-open roads. When I'm one of 3 vehicles likely to pass this way today, I feel quite safe.

But yeah, as soon as there are other vehicles, there are other fucknuts out there. At least my convertible has excellent visibility.

Powershift posted:

Plot twist: he owns a windshield shop
The giant divot in the camera-operator's windshield is the icing on the cake here. I don't think those are bugs, they're chips and cracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

the poi posted:

tow dollies are like 20$ I don't get it

"I'm no good at trailers" / "I ain't wasting $20 I don't need to!"