Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
We're in a truck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

madeintaipei posted:

This story from the most recent US invasion of Iraq always pops up in my head when this is mentioned: (paraphrasing)

"...and there I was driving my amtrac when an Iraqi hunter/killer team stepped out in front of me. I thought, "Nah, he's too close for the RPG-7 to arm." Then I remembered I was driving an amtrac and hit the gas."

There have been plenty of cases of insurgents removing that fuse from their RPGs and just straight contact fuses.

I will mark this as NMS because while there is no gore, it is definitely a guy blowing himself up by trying to fire an RPG around the corner and hitting the corner:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/cpfr82/insurgent_blows_himself_up_trying_rpg_at_us_troops/

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

SlapActionJackson posted:

Right in one!

In other news there is no tragedy so bad the government can't make it worse

Thank you, Inspector Clouseau, for bringing the gigantic loving hole in the house to our attention.

And for giving you a whole month to find a contractor, get permits issued, get material delivered, and perform the work.

I'd be amazed if Tampa can even issue a permit in that time.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Back in high school a friend was hooning around in his dad’s SHO and went over a little bridge over a stream too fast. Got enough air that when he came down he broke an engine mount and cracked the oil pan. He managed to get it home and into the garage without dad noticing but the subterfuge did not last.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Well was he for the bill or against it?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

PeterCat posted:

Except driving the helicopter around beats the poo poo out of it.

Honestly so does flying it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

What the gently caress is “aggressive turning”?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

I’d think that if Tesla had confidence in e autopilot they’d debut it for the worst drivers, not the “safest.”

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Baconroll posted:

Since the 11 foot 8 bridge got sadly neutered I now enjoy videos from the the Milwaukee Roundabout - Lots of great ones here,

Here, have a 10 foot 10:

https://jalopnik.com/an-infamous-low-bridge-in-pennsylvania-just-destroyed-t-1847645318

There's also a 9 foot 8 nearby but it's on a side street.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Soundtrack is on point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSO9cgFkFg0

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/shanermurph/status/1502449882195451907?s=21

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

I like when I'm stopped at a light exactly where I'm supposed to stop at the stop bar and a guy making a left turn chooses to make it too tight and barely misses my car and gives me a dirty look like I'm the one who hosed up by stopping where I'm supposed to stop.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Going from e.g. JFK to ATL on a bike would be fun too if you heavily favored the Appalachian Mountains and took the Blue Ridge Parkway rather than riding down the Interstate the whole way.

Doesn't the Blue Ridge Parkway have some absurdly-low speed limit that's actually enforced? I mean, it makes every list of the most scenic highways or whatever but actually driving it sounds really unfun, either because of the said aforementioned speed limits or the slew of RVs and tourists that make the speed limit irrelevant.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

opengl128 posted:

I live in a pretty small neighborhood, without fail every afternoon there will be a row of SUVs idling for half an hour waiting for the school bus to drop their kids off, so they can drive them home. No single house in the entire neighborhood is more than 1/4 mile from the bus stop. It's absurd.

It is not unusual for schools to not allow kids to walk to or home from school.

Not saying that’s the case there but it’s a thing.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Zero One posted:

Driving from New York to Detroit is faster than driving Detroit to the northern tip of Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

But in fairness Wisconsin should have invaded and annexed that poo poo a long time ago.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Ever see someone doing something so loving stupid that even though it has no impact on you at all you still want to stop and honk at their dumb rear end?

This person who left this parking lot to make a left turn and sat there blocking an entire lane of traffic to sit there waiting for an opening in traffic so he can make an illegal left when he could have just, you know, left the parking lot via another exit was today's.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

(insert nacho cheese joke here)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/JaneyMackWriter/status/1552684675495108608?s=20&t=lDKnArpKDUuRS9yJvB5isg

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Gah, everyone involved in this is awful:

Bicyclist crosses the double-yellow to steer around traffic stopped at a red light, runs right through that red light, and gets slammed by a New Jersey councilwoman who drives off without stopping and doesn't report the crash for six hours. Bicyclist claimed in interviews that he had right of way and is disappointed that a government official would ignore the law, she's refusing calls to resign. He also points out that he looked left and then "was about to look right" when he got hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZdL8pUu_Bw&t=31s

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Not to sound like an rear end in a top hat but at least here in Italy, cyclist are supposed to look left/right BEFORE approaching the intersection, not while in it, also they should respect vehicles signaling lights if they don't have a dedicated lane. It would make his case pretty shaky in courts, likely rejected as a 50/50 responsibility share with the vehicle hitting him.

The driver's only crime here was in leaving the scene of the crash. She had the green light, idiot cyclist just ran the red light with no awareness of oncoming traffic. By the time you're most of the way through the intersection looking right doesn't do much good, and if she'd just have stopped and waited for the cops she'd have no liability for this at all, even putting aside the fact that New Jersey is a no-fault state.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Entropist posted:

At least in my country, the driver of a potentially lethal vehicle is always at fault in such a situation. You have to take the responsibility that comes with choosing to drive a car.

So someone could commit suicide by literally jumping in front of a truck and giving the trucker zero opportunity to avoid him, and the fault would still lie with the driver?

That doesn’t sound right at all.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Any business plan that relies on “people just leave trash on public property” needs to be nuked into oblivion. And a scooter that’s blocking the sidewalk is loving trash.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/carnage4life/status/1555871312257507329?s=21&t=6fySZ3k7gnmxNUGYL_PP5A

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/cctv_videos/status/1562753475200499715?s=20&t=nzCnJFZ4GKOy3_ZdXJ4fyQ

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Legit: Not enough truckers who'll work at current market rates.

So say you have 8 trucks. Instead of needing 8 drivers, you can get away with 1 while the other 7 follow like little ducklings.

Now there's 1,001 reasons why this is a bad idea

One of them is that this would be illegal in a supermajority of US states.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Being put on hold for 911 has to be a great feeling.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

https://www.tmj4.com/news/menasha-woman-injured-after-riding-bike-into-open-bridge-span

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

waffle iron posted:

Based on the date and time of day, July 4 evening, I would assume intoxication.

Hah, I didn't notice that.

"Posted at 11:23 AM, Jul 05, 2018 and last updated 12:33 PM, Apr 10, 2023"

and

"The accident remains under investigation."

This is a very complicated case, Maude. You know, a lotta ins, a lotta outs, a lotta what-have-yous.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Boston city councilor crashes her unregistered and uninsured car into someone's house while driving an at more than double the speed limit on a driver's license that was suspended a decade ago.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/07/12/metro/kendra-lara-jamaica-plain-crash/

quote:

Patrick J. Murphy, a Boston attorney who routinely deals with driving offenses, said that while serious, the charges against Lara seemed “highly resolvable.”

Murphy said he would be “surprised” if Lara served any prison time, though offenses such as driving with a revoked license or without insurance are criminal misdemeanors.

“This is salacious because it’s a political person,” Murphy added, but “this is a run of the mill type case.”

Big if true.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Well, that's a first from me. Walking through a parking lot today, lady has parked her car almost but not quite within the lines of a space. She's not even egregiously outside the lines, there's plenty of room between her and the next car, it's just a sloppy job. She's out of her car, looking at it, as I approach she asks "Do you think I'm all right?"

I say, yeah, you're fine, but I warn her that they've really tightened up parking enforcement later and she should feed the meter. She says "I'm just going in and out, I'm not gonna do that." I say okay, but it's a 20 dollar ticket. She thinks about this for a second and says "Okay, but in that case can you do me a favor?" and I expect her to ask me for a quarter, but instead she *holds at her keys and asks me to park her car.*

I declined.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Cop running without lights and sirens (because turning them on activates the dashcam) runs a red light while going 78mph in a 30mph zone and kills a completely innocent person.

https://www.timesunion.com/state/article/high-speed-crash-troy-police-18294831.php

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Okay, I can't begin to figure this out.

Traffic headed southbound towards the intersection in the left turn lane is backed up to A, waiting for the light to turn.

Dude at B realizes he's going the wrong way and is sitting there with his turn signal on waiting to make a U-turn.

No other cars involved.

So instead of just proceeding northbound a little bit and making a U-turn, he sits there waiting for the light to turn and for the traffic to move south of A to give him room to do it. "No, this is where the lane divider ends, I must turn ONLY HERE!"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Bad pedestrian:

Roads are covered in snow. It’s still snowing. At this point, we will get another 4”.

Family out with their kids. Dad’s pulling one kid in a plastic sled, up on the snow-covered sidewalk. Mom’s pulling the other kid in a plastic sled, in the loving road. Yes, there are cars. Yes, they are slipping and sliding. Yes, she could also have her kid up on the sidewalk. But she’s not.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Anyone able to ID this jackass's car from my neighbor's doorbell cam?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpbaGBkNgH8

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Apparently a bunch of people, including professionals, people who are paid to drive, decided to drive through Donner Pass at the same time a blizzard was forecast to drop 10 feet of snow.

https://x.com/CocoReimagined/status/1764215803099156883?s=20

I hope they brought snacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

It doesn’t explain why that article is on a .uk news site and still reads like it was run through multiple translations.