Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Send a reply demanding them to fix their infrastructure before 04/05/2021!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_0DgnJ1uQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Ooh, is it time for the bumpers discussion again? They're called bumpers for a reason! etc. etc.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I don't know anything about the situation there but to me it looks like the road used to be straight and people forget about the roundabout or maybe there is insufficient signage to warn them that the situation has changed. The turn also seems a bit blind, hidden behind the bridge on the downhill.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I watched that video and was like huh, is anything going to happen?

In the rural Netherlands, that's just everyday commuting (except you aren't on a racing bike). If you don't hit the other, there was enough space, and what is shown in that video is quite a margin by the standards here.
Of course, here it can be assumed that cyclists are competent and won't suddenly swerve because people cycle every day, which I guess is not the case elsewhere.

Not sure why the driver had to cross the center line though, maybe because the foliage is so close to the road (I noticed this a lot in the UK). Hard to judge the speed but in NL it might be around 80 km/h - if drivers had to slow down each time two side-by-side cyclists come in the opposite direction you wouldn't get anywhere, because there are so many cyclists here.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 22, 2022

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
The real crime is not having cycling paths, forcing vulnerable traffic participants into the space of giant american SUVs.

At least in my country, the driver of a potentially lethal vehicle is always at fault in such a situation. You have to take the responsibility that comes with choosing to drive a car.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Those scooters are illegal to ride in any public space in my country, because they are not an approved category of vehicle. Fine by me, stick to bicycles.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Apparently regular US city lanes are like 12 feet wide, in the Netherlands highway lanes are around 11 feet and city lanes on thoroughfares are 9 feet. And then you also make giant clear zones near the streets. No wonder people want to drive at highway speeds in American cities.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Must have been a Dutch person. In the Netherlands that's just Tuesday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxgiS9F1o5M

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I've probably already posted this, but it's a good overview of the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_0DgnJ1uQ

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Uhh yeah, I don't know how it works there in the wild west but in my European country it's super illegal and an rear end in a top hat move to speed past other moving cars in a turn lane like that, especially when not actually turning. Don't think you should be posting this if that was your video.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
It's AI. So if the car looks like a BMW or Audi it probably works fine, this should have happened many times in their training data and the AI has learned it. But if the car is of a type that typically doesn't brake check, or if you are a cyclist, there'll probably be a crash :v:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Yeah, try driving in Europe. Every tiny up themselves shithole town requires their own custom toll pass and mandatory environmental sticker. You'd expect this kind of freedom more in the US but apparently not!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

priznat posted:

I want to see an American full size truck attempt to get through that, lmao.

It’d be a regular calm.jpg that’s for sure

One of my favourite beaches is one where the entrance to the parking area has two giant concrete posts that you have to pass between, with about 1.8 meters between them. You cannot enter the place unless you have an old compact car and fold in the mirrors. And it's in the middle of nowhere so not many people make it there by other means. Somehow this has led to a visitor population with much better behaviour and attitude than the average.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
That thing wouldn't legally qualify as a roundabout here. Build some proper ones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Stop signs are dumb, we hardly have them in my country. People treat them as yield signs anyway. Four way stops are completely foreign to me. On an intersection with roads of equal priority, traffic from the right always has priority which avoids the ambiguity of four-way stops.

Basically this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42oQN7fy_eM