Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

The sports stars are from DC teams but Eastern Motors has a Baltimore location so I'm gonna count it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T9cZOuMPsA
LaVar Arrington is serious about minivans.

Gilbert Gottfried is in one of them too, though the DJ Tittsworth remix of the song isn’t on YouTube anymore:
https://youtu.be/kcw8LjGMiDQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Bad drivers! Roads that break down!

Also goddamn, that airbag. They really are super fast, took me a couple watches to realize what that was.

Same, I thought he bashed his head into the window and shattered it the first couple of watches.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I generally find when I’m driving in a place opposite my home that I’m okay while traveling because I’m hyper vigilant. It’s the first day or two when I come back home after a week away that I have partially overwritten reflexes getting me in trouble if I don’t pay attention.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zero One posted:

Nah I totally believe that she could have missed it if she was on a rampage to jump out and yell at them.

"I am afraid these men in the truck behind me wish to do me harm so I will get out of my metal box with drive wheels and walk up to them." I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SlapActionJackson posted:

Right in one!

In other news there is no tragedy so bad the government can't make it worse

Thank you, Inspector Clouseau, for bringing the gigantic loving hole in the house to our attention.

What the gently caress, was the driver also the city inspector or something?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

waffle iron posted:

Stolen from the OSHA thread:

lmao this is the top side outer loop of the DC beltway at the 495/270 interchange, just about everyone on that stretch of road is an absolute fuckface and I'm surprised I haven't seen this happen before. Both those cars were about five minutes from an exit where they could turn around, no jack moves were necessary.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 11, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wait, the sign on that bridge says 15' though.

And that's probably how it happened.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

my kinda ape posted:

Maybe I'm just an overly cautious baby but I generally slow down from maximum speed when I see cars turning in the road a medium-short distance in front of me.

you don't have to do things like that that when you're in the ultimate driving machine, peasant.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fukkin owned

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ryanrs posted:

About a year ago I called up Vision Engineering and arranged for their traveling salesman to give a demo at my tiny startup the next time they were in my city. We did not have a direct business reason to buy a 3D inspection microscope. But on the other hand, are you really a cool tech R&D lab without a fancy-pants microscope on your bench?

This was a case where I, the engineering technician guy, knew this particular piece of kit would sell itself once the boss got to play with it. Doesn't even matter that there wasn't an immediate business use.

The plan worked great and it's become one of the most useful instruments in the lab. I use it for electronic soldering inspection. Boss uses it for cleaning optical assemblies and sensors. This particular microscope benefits a lot from an in-person demo, because the website doesn't do it justice. It's absolutely jaw-dropping, Star Trek-level tech, for like $2,300.

We had a couple of these in the lab at oldjob and they're amazing. Strong recommend if you do any work where you have to look at small things.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Large Testicles posted:

We have an exit similar to this in my town but I've never seen or even heard of anyone loving up this badly on it.

This particular one is right under the Washington State Convention Center and you get a lot of people from out of town taking it and finding out the hard way about the speed limit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

In Tennessee we had Petros, Love's, and Flying J. Every region has its own interstate highway truck stop brands but they're all the same idea.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Buc-ees is not the same idea you son of a bitch.

Is this the part where I remind you that "Don't Mess With Texas" is an anti-littering campaign slogan?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

carry on then posted:

Several times while walking around neighborhoods I've seen trucks parked on driveways that are so long the truck completely blocks the sidewalk. I've also seen trucks lifted so high the top of the cab doesn't fit in the garage so they back the bed in and leave the rest hanging out.

I get the exciting variation on this where they back in until the rear wheels touch and the bed blocks the entire loving sidewalk.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Not to sound like an rear end in a top hat but at least here in Italy, cyclist are supposed to look left/right BEFORE approaching the intersection, not while in it, also they should respect vehicles signaling lights if they don't have a dedicated lane. It would make his case pretty shaky in courts, likely rejected as a 50/50 responsibility share with the vehicle hitting him.

From a sheer self preservation standpoint checking both ways before you run a red light on a bicycle is a really good idea!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Easychair Bootson posted:

I think it was someone in this thread who said that their reaction to road ragers is to smile and wave as if the person just paid you a compliment. I unintentionally did this today (I thought the other driver was a friend messing with me) and it's far better than the alternative. I thought this person was lost so I slowed down and lowered my window to help and was met with "what are you doing?!" I think his passenger was confused when I acted like he was an old pal that I hadn't seen in a while. Highly recommended.

Rolling an occupant's window down is the immediate precursor to hanging a gun out the side and blasting so read the room before you do this, you may be shot or rammed if the other car's occupants are aggressive and/or paranoid and the driver doesn't just stand on the brakes when your window comes down.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Gobbless America

I wasn't in the United States when it happened to me but thanks for playing anyway.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We had a vehicle that was too shiny for the neighborhood and a passenger in a truck that pulled up beside us was brandishing a lovely old revolver at us from behind a rolled up window. Wasn't even the first time that trip, but this time the window started to come down down so our driver stood on the brake and made a turn on a cross street to get us out of there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I wasn't when that happened.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This whole account is a pro click but this in particular is excellent:
https://twitter.com/Idiots1nCars/status/1631610769073930240

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

chaibat posted:

Thanks for the discussion! Interesting that this came up in drivers ed.

Applebees and carry on then are right, I wasn’t looking at it from a CDL perspective. Although I wonder if he’s transporting like hazmat or has legit hijacking fears if there’s an exception. How about for armored trucks?

Armored trucks you can just sit there and laugh unless the guy comes up with a rocket launcher, in which case the immediate threat has been satisfied. You'll probably get in mega trouble with your bossmasters for going off schedule though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah that exact thing happened to me 20 years ago, someone tagged a tractor trailer and came across the median at us on a highway. Feels bad man.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Brut posted:

Archive.org snapshot from 2021 that has the story as "last updated" July 17 2018 has word-for-word identical article text so...wtf did they suddenly update now?

May have been a sitewide thing to add something to all the pages and it hit the "last updated" script.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

cant believe the idiotsincars subreddit simply shut itself down over the whole api fiasco

where am i gonna get my fix of bad driving and even worse commentary now (dont say youtube)

Any main street.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Big David Hasselhoff energy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmao hell yeah, 66 west at 28.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I'm half the van I used to be.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Celexi posted:

being next to a coal roller and moving away when they start to roll coal i am not sure what sketchy bit is, esp as I had dialed 911 and wanted to have it on video for reports

edit: also not sure what sketchy post you refer to, the one I recorded in passenger seat of a car with falling bumper?

lmao are you saying you called 911 on a brotruck with a lovely exhaust?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I mean they're obviously wrong but it is cathartic to watch

Everyone deserved what they got.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

What was the last car sold in the US that had three on the tree anyway?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Are you in the market for an '86 Sable?

EDIT:

Short list of problems my family encountered:

1. Gross sulfur smell from exhaust
2. Dashboard hot enough to fry an egg
3. Aforementioned inexplicable brake pedal drop
4. Trunk seal leaked noxious black goop
5. Front seat cushions went flat within the first year
6. Light bulbs in decorative headlight panel constantly burned out

We had one too, it's the first car I remember my parents buying and it was just such a colossal garage queen. Broke down all the time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

priznat posted:

Was the mercury brand slightly fancier than ford but not as fancy as Lincoln? I’ve never understood it. Or was it like the ford version of Pontiac which was like the base (Chevy) cars but slightly weirder and uglier.

It was both of those at various times. Ford never seemed to really know what to do with the brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Back in 1984 I went for a ride in one of those. It was a summer night and we rode through town to the beach and then up the Pacific Coast Highway. Many years later I saw the "Pink Moon" VW commercial and it reminded so much of that night that I still get misty eyed when I see it.

EDIT: For the young 'uns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-kqUkZnDcM

They was a good promo. VW had some good advertising around the turn of the century.