Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's just me winching my A-469 out of a ditch in Mudrunner. I'm sure a spare wheel will have enough repair points to get that running again :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Some guy last night got really pissed that I was overtaking trucks at "only" 130kph, and not diving between them and getting on the brakes hard to let him by. He was flashing his high beams like crazy, followed by tailgating so closely that I couldn't see his headlights. At night, in the pouring rain.

When a gap in the right lane came, I moved over, but he got in behind me and didn't overtake, then he followed me exactly on every lane lane change and overtake for 20 minutes or so, apparently his desire to speed was not that big. At least he moved back to a reasonable following distance.

I was pretty sure he was following me at that point, so I just let the ACC do its thing and drop to ~90kph or so when there was a slow car in front of me. The other guy overtook me, perhaps out of habit, but he did match my speed as he came up beside me, so I slowed down further, hoping he'd just move on.

He did pull ahead, but after a couple of minutes, the car between us pulled off, and then the tailgater guy apparently decided he wanted to get behind me again, so he slowed down to 80kph. I still had the ACC on, so I put it to the longest following distance and stayed behind him. There's no way I would get in front of him and let him follow again.

As an experiment, I tried indicating towards an exit. He immediately did the same, so I tried faking pulling off, he started pulling off in front of me, but I didn't time it right, so I didn't get him stuck on the offramp. He flashed his hazards, I guess to indicate that he was definitely intent on going wherever I was going.

This 80kph adventure continued for like 20-25 minutes. Honestly, I could go slow all day, but the prospect of an aggressive confrontation at the end is not something I enjoy.

Finally he apparently figured out it was pointless, at least he took the other way at a fork, and I made sure to stay a bit back, in case he juked back and tried to follow me again, but he didn't.

What the gently caress is wrong with some people?

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 16, 2021

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A lot of people also have the seat adjusted such that combined with not sitting upright, they probably can't push the pedal fully, without overextending their leg and foot. I've also seen people brace against the steering wheel, which is just no no NO.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

gently caress me, that's a choice I'm glad I didn't have to make.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You should try watching the UK dashcam videos, it's just an endless stream of morons who can't drive sending in footage of them getting into near miss situations and accidents. I'm constantly stunned by how many of the cammers risk death purely to get footage to send in. Either that or they have absolutely minimal hazard perception. Either way I share roads with these dangerous arseholes and they're the prime reason I would like mandatory re-testing every 5 years and licenses revoking.

This should be mandatory viewing for anyone trying to understand the mind of The British Motorist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niA9fFdvp8E

It's classism and wankers all the way down.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

99% of people who go to car shows/races are garbage people.

There is the annual historic grand prix here in Copenhagen* this weekend, and as always it turns into a super lovely parking situation. There's barely any parking available for the event, because we're in a city and all the parking there is close by is reserved for crew and handicap parking, because that's sort of important.

There are some parking garages, but you do have to walk a bit, or you can take the S-train to the nearest station and use the provided free shuttle buses.

But these mouthbreather wroom-wroom idiots just absolutely have to take their precious cars as close as possible to the event, which means they're appropriating every single goddamn street parking space in a several kilometer radius, including reserved spaces. It's real goddamn fun to arrive in a car share car after a long drive, only to find the reserved parking space blocked by some fucktrumpet, and you only have ten minutes left on your booking, so you have to find an alternate parking spot, all of which are also taken.

The reserved spot was even blocked by those pay-per-minute short-term rentals, which very specifically tell you on the dash display that you are not allowed to park them in reserved car share parking spots, but I guess people are just too stupid to read. I hope they get fined.

It really is that blindingly idiotic mindset of "there's no parking immediately in front of the thing I'm going to, so there's no parking available anywhere ever and I hate cyclists and public transit and walking".

And I haven't even gotten to the trash that gets spread everywhere on streets surrounding the even. Discarded wristbands, flyers, food garbage, random crap. People just discard it because gently caress it, it's not their neighborhood.

It's a bit like smokers just discarding butts everywhere. If you aren't sure there's a trash can where you're going to be smoking, either bring a pocket ashtray or don't loving smoke. If there probably isn't going to be parking where you're going, maybe don't drive your loving car there.

* I used to be part of the track construction crew 2010-2019, but I can't be arsed anymore, plus the general atmosphere got shittier and more politically polarized over the last couple of years.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Aug 7, 2022

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Midjack posted:

Rolling an occupant's window down is the immediate precursor to hanging a gun out the side and blasting so read the room before you do this, you may be shot or rammed if the other car's occupants are aggressive and/or paranoid and the driver doesn't just stand on the brakes when your window comes down.

Signs that you definitely live in a first-world country full of well-adjusted people who certainly don't have any anger issues at all.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well that's not gonna unclench for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I'm half the van I used to be.

:master: