Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Solar Coaster posted:

So Washington State has been getting hammered by snowstorm after snowstorm, especially in the Cascades. We've already broken 20 year snowfall records and it's the first week of January.

As such, we are in the unusual predicament of essentially being cut off from the rest of the US at the moment, as all passes across the Cascades are closed until at least Sunday. Flooding in the south means that I5 is shut down in parts because its underwater.

WSDOT posted this today and I gotta say, this is some spectacular work:

That is some primo truckfuckling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Them Musk boys done it again....

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

KozmoNaut posted:

This should be mandatory viewing for anyone trying to understand the mind of The British Motorist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niA9fFdvp8E

It's classism and wankers all the way down.

That's real? Not a parody? gently caress.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

ionn posted:

It seems to me that whenever the first snow hits every year, newer AWD cars are overrepresented among those I see having gone off the road. Because "I have AWD I have all the traction snow don't bother me" or something.

Attest. I was driving my Scirocco in the Twin Cities during blizzards and never had an issue, while I saw SUVs and Subarus in the ditches constantly.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I've done the cross-America ride five times and it is fantastic, but allocate a poo poo ton of time.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
When I was growing up in super rural Northern Wisconsin, I had a two-mile walk down the dirt road to our house to get to the county road, then a sixteen-mile ride on the school bus to elementary school and junior high. Oneida County was pretty empty in the 60s and early 70s.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Phanatic posted:

But in fairness Wisconsin should have invaded and annexed that poo poo a long time ago.

You think we want Iron Mountain? Are you insane?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Zero One posted:

Hey, we won it fair and square in our war with Ohio!

Yeah, and you didn't have to keep Toledo, so I'd consider that a win.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

slidebite posted:

jfc it looks massive. Do they have their own refinery on site?

That is one of a chain of gas station/department/grocery stores (seriously Buc-ees are all gigantic). Then there are the Love's Travel Stops...

When you have as much highway as the US does, you need places like these.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
My Model 3 still hasn't killed me or anyone else or fallen apart, but I am selling it and getting an S60 Hybrid.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Okay...

Was the Las VegasJudge, who sentenced the speeding woman, on cocaine who killed the drunk driver, high on meth?

OR

Was the Las VegasJudge, who sentenced the speeding woman,who killed the drunk driver high on meth, on cocaine ?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

SlowBloke posted:

50/50 chance that doing the usual hot water bottle trick will make the glass entire vehicle explode, I think.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Have you seen the glory that is an East Bay roundabout?

Four-way stop, of course, and you must go around this lovely greensward...

That image was taken a few years ago, and that particular greenery is now over two meters high and completely fills the planted area which means you can't see anything coming at you, like cars or cyclists blowing through the stop sign and going the wrong way around the circle.

There are a lot more than just that one, and all are horrific.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I didn't do driver's ed, but somehow I've managed not to get in any accidents over the last 50 years.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Things are never predestined to happen because of something you do or don't do. I'd still rather have everyone around me have a robust education in operating machinery that can kill me in a literal instant.

I learned to drive on rural Wisconsin dirt roads in godawful weather. You get pretty good at judging traction, stopping distances, and visual conditions in a Wisconsin winter.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

yeah but back when you learned, a man with a red flag had to run in front of the car warning pedestrians

Only in cities, so the lady-folk wouldn't get spooked and go into hysterical tremors.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Safety Dance posted:

This one's off camber, so drivers carry too much speed into it and understeer directly into the ditch.

This one is actually on the way to my doctor's office. It's a highway exit from a tunnel that's super narrow and spits you out into an immediate merge and a traffic light.

Street View:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/4DxQ6B5pKTMZJGq79

I know that one! I was stationed at Fort Lewis and was following a buddy into town when he wrapped his IROC around that light pole.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Colostomy Bag posted:

Carbon offsetcamber credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I had a 3 on the tree early 70s Nova with the 250 inline six. That car was indestructible. until the entire undercarriage turned to powder (Wisconsin winters are not kind).