Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

uvar posted:

Ran into one myself today. Let's say you're a relatively new young driver (P plater, I don't know what the US equivalent is), out with some friends on a gravel road with sharp turns. You go too fast round a corner, up a bank, and flip the car, blocking the road to a local reserve and spilling cans of alcohol all over the road. Mom's going to kill you anyway when she finds out, so what do you do?

https://i.imgur.com/X4YGGNC.mp4

They gave it a few more yanks after I stopped the video. To be fair, it cleared a lane quickly and the car was probably a write-off anyway, but I feel like there was a better solution waiting to be discovered. (Perhaps they tried and failed to tip it before I got there.)

Hope they had the foresight to set the handbrake for when it's finally tipped back onto 4 wheels - I mean, it would suck for the tow vehicle to get pulled down the mountainside, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Trying to find one of these used is absolutely infuriating, because there are 3 names for them here (camper, topper, cap) & the seller will have absolutely no idea what truck it came off of, let alone the bed size. Prices vary wildly from $250 to $600 to $free, but are up around $1,200 if you bought one new (overkill for a 15 yo truck), so it's worth it to keep looking for one.

I was having such a hard time finding one, I took the first one that fit. In the meantime, the guy selling the one I really wanted finally checked his emails, so now I've got two.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

MattO posted:

How about a shirt that has a bit of extra material that the seatbelt could go under and blend in thatta way, like a flappy bit or even just a shirt that comes with a matching seat belt sleeve.

Just make a shirt out of seatbelts

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

wolrah posted:

The real genius thinkers use a car seat as their desk chair and buckle up every day.

Screw a standing desk, get a knee-high, rolling desk so that nice bolstered Recaro seat you've taken out of that old German car & sat on floor can make the hours of sedentary work feel so much better.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

BraveUlysses posted:

truck with trailer definitely at fault here but bmw guy was driving too fast, reacted too late and a terrible idea to dodge into opposing traffic lane. should have just done a quick jog left and right again.

Should have just planted the brakes, kept control straight ahead into what would have been a known lower-speed collision with the trailer (maybe 15mph impact after braking?) instead of that half-braking, half swerving maneuver, (where he could have lost control) into the oncoming traffic lanes where he couldn't guarantee anybody was stopped for him. (maybe 25+30=55 mph impact). Downside is your poo poo is wrecked, plus side is so is the fucker with the trailer who caused it, and nobody else but the two of you.

This is along the same lines of planting the brakes and not swerving for wild animals in the road. Sure, there's a chance you'll miss them, but you're not that lucky & you're also creating a greater chance you'll gently caress things up worse for you and everyone around you.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Combine people who shouldn't be driving with lovely infrastructure (both lack of transit options and bad roadway geometry), and you'll have the the mistakes bad drivers make amplified to be super deadly.

This on ramp design is a confirmed killer. I'm not sure how many victims it's taken over the years, but I know it's been more than one. I guess it's more vital the Burger King occupies that corner instead of a northbound on ramp from the westbound lanes.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Olympic Mathlete posted:

100% real. I distinctly remember 'reps' being a thing in my childhood years. Just scores of sales arseholes driving round in their company cars, staying in lovely hotels trying to get businesses to buy poo poo from their company. Leagues of self-important shitbirds in cheap suits huffing their own farts.

(and thank you, I was looking for that video!)

I couldn't believe there was such a business case for so many of these guys to be running around on the company dime. But then one of the comments reminded me that this was the 90's, and these guys were replaced by websites in the 00's.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Imagined posted:

In the vein of 'consideration for others', it really bugs me sometimes how often I'll be at a gas station during a busy time when every pump is continuously occupied, and I'll pull in at a respectful distance behind someone who seems likely to be done soon to wait my turn. They cannot possibly fail to see me sitting there waiting, and yet they'll often finish pumping and then mosey off slowly to go inside the station -- definitely NOT to pay for gas, since they already pumped --

Not my proudest moment but here I am posting about it, this very occurrence had me pull my motorcycle up between their SUV and the pump so I could fill my 3.5 gallon tank. Yeah I'm blocking your door now, tough, just wait for me to be done I'll only be a minute!

"I have KIDS IN MY CAR!"

"Oh, so you left them out here alone, then?"

What's so hard about pulling into any available parking spot and going in for your smokes... and yes, there was at least two people waiting for each pump island at the time.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
A friend in Michigan has had multiple people use their long, narrow driveway as a turnaround over the years. Most just pull in and back out, but some are real jerks and leave the pavement to turn around, going off-road & leaving muddy ruts in their yard.

This time, the rear end in a top hat left a lot more than ruts.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I couldn't find the original from the first time I saw this a few years ago...

The houses I'm looking at, it's a bonus if they come with a garage worth a drat and I've got in mind buying something I can either expand from the house with an extra section wide or deep.. Or with enough area on the property to put up a steel barn.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Large Testicles posted:

When i was driving a truck the thing was limited to 70 so I just drove with my foot to the floor the whole time I was on the interstate. It was a company truck so I wasn't paying for gas and couldn't have given a poo poo about fuel efficiency but I did definitely care about getting places as quickly as possible because my boss was a loving prick. I for sure was passing every other truck in my way even if I was going just fractionally faster than them.

I did the same "cruise control" trick in the motorcoaches I drove since they were limited to 66 or something, and the "cruise control ON" indicator on the dash was super super bright at night.

Heading East from the flatlands of the Midwest into the mountains of Pennsylvania, I suddenly found out the limiter only works to limit the motor's power output... Going downhill, you could get going MUCH faster than the limiter allowed!

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Cool, until they use it for an augmented reality prank and show car-sized spiders jumping out from the ditches and skittering across the roadway

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
It would be smart for whoever rear end in a top hat that was to avoid town for the next few months. The one who got caught driving on the sidewalk to avoid a bus loading kiddos was eventually caught, since they drove down that street at the same time every single morning.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

DJ Commie posted:

My coworker's door dash driver parked in a fire lane in the way of incoming traffic, just to drop the drink because they kept swiping on their phone stumbling through the office landscaping... We have a clearly marked path and an empty parking lot.

Who coulda guessed it was a <2 year old Hyundai with no front bumper?

Or you get people with no common sense or courtesy... If you're going to park in the fire lane to sell your stuff, why wouldn't you at least park in a direction that puts your customers on the sidewalk, and not in the lot's car travel lanes?

And it's not like Walmarts don't ever catch fire around here...

e: sorry for huge

NoWake fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 13, 2023

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Phanatic posted:

I declined.

Must be nice to just be able to turn down 19 bucks :(

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

sleepy.eyes posted:

Do obnoxious street signs count, however tenuously? Some loving dentist near me has a massive LED sign that's on 24/7 and is mostly white. It's fine during the day but that fucker absolutely kills what little night sight I have. If I ever end up hitting a pedestrian it'll be some poor homeless dude I can't see because this thing isn't high beams bright, but it's drat close.

There's one I pass that flickers red/blue to catch your eye just before switching to the next slide in rotation, they absolutely know what they're doing. If your city or county has any balls they would have some regulations to enforce on the allowable brightness of road signs. If not, some regulations should be proposed at the next board meeting, voted on, enacted, and then fines imposed.

Alternate is going :black101: to the pedestal for everybody else's benefit.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Just terrific. Well done. You've saved $15 in ratchet straps.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

"Vincent Van Goatse" posted:

That tire is bald as gently caress, yo

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
gently caress me for honking too much, but I've seen too many accidents here due to the lovely design of this intersection. Where I'm sitting, left-turning traffic from the oncoming direction blocks the view of anybody steaming up in lane 2, and if you just take your left without tip-toing cautiously, you run the risk of getting smoked in your passenger side. I've seen it happen twice in one year.

SUV ahead of me had right-of-way until they didn't, and I'm honking at them to proceed. Down here in the south it's just so common for someone to stop and wave you through when they've got no reason to stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8icCqWEJ4B4

Also WTF with the guy on the bike? Probably had a clearer view of the oncoming lanes than I had, but apparently those 3 seconds are too long to wait when you've gotta get to Publix. Better pull some sketchy poo poo.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Better honk at the guy who is slowing down for a yellow light on their side

For all I know he was stopping on a full green to let me through. People just do that around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Midjack posted:

They was a good promo. VW had some good advertising around the turn of the century.

There was the "one million miles away" ad for the Mk4 Jetta, and you can't forget "da da da" for the Golf. "The Un-pimp the Auto" series was genius. "You get an F!"

There was another commercial I remember seeing for the Mk3 Jetta that I haven't been able to find, it highlighted the process of downshifting to get around an RV on a winding mountain road. First shot is a camper up ahead, second is the driver looking to passenger with a smirk. Third shot is their hand grabbing the gearshift, yanking it downward, and the next shows the tach revving from 2k to 3.5k. The car shoots to the passing lane and overtakes the RV, and then resumes its place in the driving lane. The driver smiles. Fade to white & the VW symbol.