Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m trying to understand this phenomenon I have witnessed a few times on my commute home. Sometimes based on traffic I end up going up the hill to the local university (SFU for BCers) which is actually a bit of a nice respite because it is a road you can speed on if you feel like, with 2 lanes and very few entrances to it.

Anyway there is a really frequent bus service going up there and most of the time you will pass a bus within the first third of the way up. What I have noticed is there is some special breed of idiot/rear end in a top hat that loves to drive parallel to the bus in the left hand lane, match its speed and prevent anyone from even doing the speed limit.

I can’t decide if these are just morons or wannabe cops trying to prevent people from zooming up the hill for whatever reason (they hate fun??). Regardless, I hate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Today the bus driver did us a solid by slowing down to open a gap so myself and a couple others could get around Ronnie slowpoke. Bus drivers know what’s up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

drat that lady is a cool cucumber

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

The thing about all those is no matter how much of an rear end in a top hat someone is, the last thing I want to do is spend the next hour of my life talking to them or police. I just slow down and let them the gently caress in. Maybe honk or flip them off after but anything to avoid contact. Also I love my car and prefer no scratches.

Yup take solace that one day they will try it against someone who is as big (or even more) of an rear end in a top hat as them and they will both end up having a bad time. People who drive like that will pay the piper at some point.

Just hopefully it doesn’t impact your commute in the process if the highway needs to get shut down for a bit

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I want to see an American full size truck attempt to get through that, lmao.

It’d be a regular calm.jpg that’s for sure

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just use those unidirectional tire shredders and watch the fun

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jimong5 posted:

My favorite is when the car making the rear end in a top hat maneuver has body damage that says they paid the piper already and will continue to do so.

Learning from mistakes is for suckers!!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just imagine what the videos are like that you thankfully DONT see (actually no don’t imagine that :barf:)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Converting 4 way stops to roundabouts rarely works and I wish cities would knock it off. They did a lot of that in the west end of Vancouver and planted bushes in the middle of the thing and ruin the visibility there too and it's loving stupid.

Now you have people who don't understand how to do a 4 way stop AND don't understand how to use a (lovely) roundabout!

On the radio whenever traffic lights are out they say "use the 4 way stop procedure" and I weep because no one seems to know it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Four-way stops are the devil and must be destroyed at all costs. Roundabouts work fine down to very tiny. It might be a skill issue.

*F250 blasts through without stoppping or slowing* :911:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

In the area I lived once they were putting in traffic calming by putting concrete barriers diagonally across intersections with just a plain 5' pole in the centre of the old intersection and no sign on it for some reason (or maybe it fell off/was stolen?)

Anyway one winter we got a real heavy snow dump and some guy in a jeep came blasting thru the fresh snow and the barrier was completely obscured and he slammed into it and the pole at quite a clip. Just mangled that Jeep. I wondered if he ever sued the city on that one because he'd probably have a case.

It totally hosed up the intersection too as the larger fire trucks couldn't turn down it without just scraping the gently caress out of parked cars, which I saw happen as I stood and cringed as they just mangled some cars (not mine).. They have fixed it since and done a proper curve to do calming on it while allowing bikes to go through but man it was a poo poo show for a while lol.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That’s some tunnel vision light watching to get a good launch right there lmao

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I used to work in an office that was right next to a highway off-ramp that was really treacherous and there were some impressive rollovers. They rejigged it a while back but you can see the old route on google maps: (highlighted the old path across the grass)

In wet, dry, snow, didn’t matter, people were rolling off it about once a week or more. And then the people that made it would go shooting across 3 lanes of traffic on a major road to get to the left turn signal causing a ton of fender benders and constant honking. You almost developed ptsd listening to constant accidents/near accidents in that loving office.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

lol that these people walk among us, let alone drive. Terrifying.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

We used to put glass in cars :shrug:

Big change is rollover safety standards iirc, meaning the C pillars especially got huge. Especially to deal with how vehicles have gotten heavier as well.

I would simply not roll my car over

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Skill issue.

Convertibles are still legal.

I think they usually have deployable safety bars, and it’s probably a big reason why there aren’t many of them around anymore, at least not new models.

I remember the Volvo C70 way back when having quite the system to protect passengers in case of rollovers, big bars that come out due to the centrifugal force of a roll and lock into place etc.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Shipon posted:

one of the single biggest mistakes in automotive regulation, leading directly to all of the awful things in modern cars

I agree, sometimes you shouldn’t try to save people from their own stupidity

It’s be like mandating roll cages on motorcycles or something.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ok those should be mandatory

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Accidentally transmogrifying motorbikes into miatas

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's a pity he didn't rough her up but even pigs know not to bite the hand that feeds.

https://twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1784184131775021400?t=L3YygNKlXu-i7dDy287wkA&s=19

Often these folks do this because they know they will blow over the limit and lead the police home on a chase and run inside to have a drink to “settle their nerves” and then they can’t do a breathalyzer. One weird trick! (It has been done in hit and run cases locally too)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Was the mercury brand slightly fancier than ford but not as fancy as Lincoln? I’ve never understood it. Or was it like the ford version of Pontiac which was like the base (Chevy) cars but slightly weirder and uglier.