Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Bad driving is coming from inside the thread! Not on video but here's an illustration

I'm driving north and, following the signs, about to take the left turn there since you're not allowed to continue straight. When a delivery van comes flying in the opposite direction at usual delivery van speeds. I brake and let him pass through, thinking what an rear end in a top hat he is. Buuut I'm sure if I bothered to dig up the laws, it's me. Since the direciton of the priority road wasn't specified, it continues staright even if you can't actually go there, so I'm supposed to yield there. Though even if that's technically correct, this arrangement seems like an great way to create a ton of accidents. I even double chcked the intersection on streetview and there were no signs there previously at all, which is definitely preferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Devor posted:

Post that streetview link! Or at least what country/state it's in? Uncontrolled intersections are pretty uncommon in my experience.
Sure!

https://goo.gl/maps/9pYbZhb8rKLWbYrC6

THe streetview is from 2009 so obviously they installed the signs at some point since then. Uncontrolled intersections are pretty common here at least in the areas with less traffic. They wouldn't be bad if half of the drivers didnt' just assume that they have right of way if their road looks slightly wider, and of course there's some ambiguity if it's an intersection or someone's driveway or something. This though really hosed me up, I swear I'll take a photo next time I'm in the area.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

u brexit ukip it posted:

Yeah your assessment was correct. Just because the road curves left (and you're obliged to turn left, in this case) does not give you priority, and as this is an uncontrolled intersection the generic 'traffic from the right has priority' rule applies.

That's not to say that this isn't very poor design in this case.
The thing is, it's not an uncontrolled intersection any more. It's signed just like in the diagram I posted earlier. To make sure I'm not remembering incorrectly, today I deliberately went back there:

Technically it's fine of course and I might be only idiot to misinterpret it, but IMO at a first glance it looks the priorities are like this below, but they're not.

Enos Cabell posted:

At the very least you should have a prominent "yield to oncoming traffic" sign as you're headed north there.
Yeah, they do put signs like that at weird intersections so this seems like a good candidate too. Or just the additional sign clarifying priorities.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Do you get to keep the car?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's more of a jump than any of you losers ever managed

Krakkles posted:

Those things are heavy, I can't imagine there's much that can be safely done at that point - you could STOP moving, which, I'd bet there's a control for, if someone is actually watching it - but you couldn't drop the bridge back into a level / deployed position.
If you did that without touching either vehicle, I'm impressed.

That's definitely not possible. I've done some tight parki pg with a car way too big for tight city streets but you still need a decent margin.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
They just went rallying :3:

kastein posted:

You'll be happy to know that they still have that bullshit one way sign halfway down a street in my town, speaking of which. At least it's a bit more visible now because a weed store bought all the abandoned lots next to it and turned them into a nice parking lot and landscaping instead of vast thickets of falling down buildings, chainlink fences, and all-consuming masses of vines.

Oh there's one like that in my city (well there are more I'm sure but one that I run into). You turn onto this street like normal and drive for a while. Then in the middle of it there's a one way sign among a dozen other useless signs, poles, ads and trees. The next intersection is with a huge square where cops are almost always waitig of course. The one time I blew through it, I left my wallet at the office and they let me go after I kept searching for it in my briefcase, on the floor and under the seats for a few minutes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Finally spotted the mythical "I need a truck to haul gravel" guy

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure everyone else sucks here and not me. There's this road nearby, where the left lane ends up being left turn only, and only for like road crews or other service vehicles. So essentially it ends in the top right corner. But everyone starts queueing in the right lane way too early, and the lane gets backed up to the next traffic light, like it's happening here.

Since there is nothing to indicate you can't use the left lane until the sign I pasted there, I (and a few others) just take the left lane and merge in after the sign. This works well when the traffic is moving at the moment, otherwise, but if everyone is stopped at the light there (at the crosswalk) I have to stop too and hope someone lets me in.

The rules are pretty clear that if a lane is ending, you're supposed to use it until the end and then zipper merge. But what if the lane isn't technically ending? Of course I know this place, but it can't be the expectation that someone from out of town knows to queue in the right lane in advance. What are the thoughts here?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PeterCat posted:

Remember people consult your -10 before you put your beloved Huey on a trailer. Sitting on the pad it is 13 feet 7 inches to top of the mast.

Why not just raise the helicopter

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol yeah I saw that on Reddit too. Both are idiots but truck much more so.

I recently got a dashcam so we'll see if I can procure anything interesting. So far in two days I had a guy overtaking on an onramp across a solid line, then the same guy overtaking from the right on a merge lane. Then a van changing lanes right into me, and another car turning left across my lane with very little space to brake. Normally I wouldn't even bat an eye but I'm curious how much poo poo I could collect in a day.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It was warm and dry today so I took the Miata out for a spin. Within 15 minutes of departing, I had one guy try to change lanes right into me and only stopped after I gave a good long honk, and big rear end SUV with a trailer ran a veeeery red light, to the delight of other traffic.

I only have one dashcam and it's in the Fit as I thought I'd be using it more in the lovely weather but now I think I need at least two in every car.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wrong thread, that's clearly a very good driver

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bigbillystyle posted:

Oh and for America is big as poo poo talk, I've done the southern routes across as well and if you go I-20 or I-10 you can literally wake up in Texas, drive for 10 hours, stopping only for food and fuel, and still be in Texas.

That sounds like a nightmare

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Maybe they meant a gas station when you can deposit the gas from your car and get cash for it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There are definitely way more giant American trucks here than you'd expect when gas is $8/gal and people make 1/3rd of American incomes. And you have to jump through hoops to buy one and parking is a nightmare.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I saw someone post a still of a car going the wrong way through a roundabout, but I can't find which thread it was in. Well anyway here's a live-action version

https://packaged-media.redd.it/c7km...1938fac7077#t=0

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Four-way stops are the devil and must be destroyed at all costs. Roundabouts work fine down to very tiny. It might be a skill issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/0JJXs4S.mp4

:ohdear: